• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

How are the cut scenes? Are there any characters that stand out as having good/bad voices? I've heard mention that Psymon has changed a lot.

Psymon is really toned down compared to SSX 3 Psymon. He's not as overly wacky.

The character cutscenes have a comic book feel to them and are pretty neat!

Jamie OD

Got my first gold in the demo. Knowing that you can grind off of a lot more than just the pipes and trees on the track is very helpful.

I've played the demo about 50 times now and I still can't get first place. I am boosting constantly and all I can manage is 2:16.xx. There is no way I would buy the game based on this demo, it's far too difficult.

Is the final game as brutally hard as the demo?

Also keep in mind that you are only level 4 in the demo. So you're not at your maximum potential, I bet getting gold at level 10 is easy as pie.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mt. Fuji isn't a pre-order bonus, it's just exclusive to the PS3 version in NA. You have to pre-order at Gamestop to unlock Eddie but there's nothing special about him. Just another character to have.

Here in Europe (well, at least in Sweden) both Mt. Fuji and Eddie are pre-order bonuses (you get them both by pre-ordering).

As you may or may not know, I am a big ssx fan......loved the original....tricky and 3 but never played the wii version....

Played the xbox live demo and was sold......so the only question i have is.......should i go with the ps3 version or the 360 version?

Which one has better graphics?

ps3 comes with exclusive area (mt.fuji) and the controller is better for this type of game

Parham

Banned
I finally beat Baconsammy's time by 37 milliseconds (2:00.16). I'm not sure if I will ever manage to catch up to -Yeti.

Edit: 1:57.66!

I finally beat Baconsammy's time by 37 milliseconds (2:00:16). I'm not sure if I will ever manage to catch up to -Yeti.

Looks like I need to log in and play the demo again. =)

Question about the gear. Are you buying it just for that event and then it's gone? Or once you buy something is it yours forever?

soultron

Banned
Looks like I need to log in and play the demo again. =)

Question about the gear. Are you buying it just for that event and then it's gone? Or once you buy something is it yours forever?

Gear is tied to characters. Gear is also permanent.

MODs are one-time use consumables that give you attribute benefits like increased boost or tricking.

GeoTags are also consumable in that you either get them or purchase them, and then you place them in the world, and then they're gone.

Ripping Souls of Mischief "Montezuma's Revenge" (such a good album) to my 360 right now to try out the custom soundtrack support. I'll have to burn some other CDs with custom playlists on them later since the 360 doesn't allow you to move music (via Zune software) you own onto your actual system. Silly Zune.

What is the point of EA being so tight-lipped on whether the rest of us can get Fuji and Eddie in the US on 360? The only possible reason is they don't want to piss off Gamestop and Sony by telling people that these elements will be available to all soon. Either way it's incredibly anti-gamer and kinda makes me want to rent the game and in doing so send my own little personal FUCK YOU to EA.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What is the point of EA being so tight-lipped on whether the rest of us can get Fuji and Eddie in the US on 360? The only possible reason is they don't want to piss off Gamestop and Sony by telling people that these elements will be available to all soon. Either way it's incredibly anti-gamer and kinda makes me want to rent the game and in doing so send my own little personal FUCK YOU to EA.

Its one of two things:
- either its a complete exclusive, and they dont want to piss on MS and X360 owners by publicly saying you wont get this content ever.
- it wont be a complete exclusive, but they are not allowed to say anything about it coming to X360 in the future by their exclusivity contract with Sony. So they cant say if, when or for how much everything will come.

Here in Europe (well, at least in Sweden) both Mt. Fuji and Eddie are pre-order bonuses (you get them both by pre-ordering).

Which is total bullshit I might add. I have no idea if I'm getting Mt. Fuji or not because I ordered from a site on which they didn't advertise about it. I hate buying from Gamestop or Game since they're like the most expensive stores around, and I don't wanna miss out on a bunch of stuff because of it.

Which is total bullshit I might add. I have no idea if I'm getting Mt. Fuji or not because I ordered from a site on which they didn't advertise about it. I hate buying from Gamestop or Game since they're like the most expensive stores around, and I don't wanna miss out on a bunch of stuff because of it.

Im confused im in europe but is it still fair to assume that they are only pre-order bonuses for the PS3?

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but yesterday GameTrailers put up a new piece on the game which happens to confirm that SSX 3's "Happiness" is located in Alaska.

SSX uses a course called ‘Happiness’ from SSX 3 – “we had one level in Alaska that wasn’t working, so we cut out that whole part and stitched in an improved version of ‘Happiness’ instead”.

So now we know where it is. Here's the full article: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/25/hit-the-slopes-with-the-gt-game-of-the-week-ssx/

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
played the demo a bunch - my roommates and i are hooked. shame there's no local multi but i'm gonna buy it day 1 anyway.

edit: this is also the best demo since the epic Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 demo disk from back in the day.

Still can't do better than 1:52 on JT2...ah well. I'm sure I'll be more than happy to tear it up on the other courses the full game has to offer [when it finally ships to me, that is]

I liked this from the GT piece more:

The dev team hid snowflakes throughout the SSX world, but there’s one snowflake that’s hidden so well that even Creative Director Todd Batty can’t find it. The level designers hid it somewhere in Alaska and it’s worth a million SSX credits.

I'm gonna find that sucker.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh God.

Somebody please tell me it really is extremely hard to get a gold medal on the demo level.

Because I've been trying for like an hour and a half.

AAAAARRRRGGGGH

Oh God.

Somebody please tell me it really is extremely hard to get a gold medal on the demo level.

AAAAARRRRGGGGH

It's not easy that's for sure. Keep in mind that your character in the demo is only level 4. It's probably safe to assume that once you're at level 10 in the retail game a gold medal will be much more attainable to the 'average' player.

Trey

Oh God.

AAAAARRRRGGGGH

The fastest line should get you gold, even if you fudge up the execution a bit. Just keep exploring, you'll find it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is sort of funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bTUBuimwc

Yeah, the new physics engine, the very forgiving landing mechanics and the automatic rail grinding does kind of make the game play itself (albeit terribly). You can't do it on the other track, though. I tried, and didn't make it past the dam.

I liked this from the GT piece more:

The dev team hid snowflakes throughout the SSX world, but there’s one snowflake that’s hidden so well that even Creative Director Todd Batty can’t find it. The level designers hid it somewhere in Alaska and it’s worth a million SSX credits.

I'm gonna find that sucker.

Yep, that's gonna be fun! However, no freeride mode (that I know of) means you'll have to do it while in an event. Guess that doesn't really matter though, since you'll never be racing live head-to-head against anyone anyway.

JambiBum

This is sort of funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bTUBuimwc

Yeah, the new physics engine, the very forgiving landing mechanics and the automatic rail grinding does kind of make the game play itself (albeit terribly). You can't do it on the other track, though. I tried, and didn't make it past the dam.

Yep, that's gonna be fun! However, no freeride mode (that I know of) means you'll have to do it while in an event. Guess that doesn't really matter though, since you'll never be racing live head-to-head against anyone anyway.

You can set up your own free ride mode by just making a private custom global event.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yessss, finally broke the 1:50 wall on JT2! 1:48.99! Woo!
iC4Aq4YcnDVXm.gif

He played the Himalayas DD after. It looks so boring tbh.

Definitely the least interesting DD I've seen so far. Not sure how the oxygen tank works.

reKon

Banned
I have the sudden urge to buy this game, this is what I've been missing this gen. This kind of came out of nowhere too, lol...

Cause of exams, I don't have any time to play at all, but what's everyone consensus of the demo? 11/10?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, yawn. The danger is lack of oxygen?

Appeared in that video that as you run low on oxygen, the screen turns more and more black. Push R1 to draw oxygen from your tank. When the tank is empty, race over. Booooo.

Maybe you need more oxygen faster if you ride in a physically exhausting way, carving and jumping a lot? So, if you find a smooth line that kind of lets the mountain take you where you need to go (even though that line might be longer), you can last longer on the oxygen you have. If the line you've chosen makes you "fight" the mountain, you'll run out faster. Would make sense, and could bring some interesting strategies into that mode.

No idea if it actually works like that though.

Its SSX I would hope that the faster you go the less oxygen you use or something silly like that. It didnt really look that way in the video but it would be a lot more interesting if you had to physically keep the speed up to avoid blacking out.

Trey

Maybe you need more oxygen faster if you ride in a physically exhausting way, carving and jumping a lot? So, if you find a smooth line that kind of lets the mountain take you where you need to go (even though that line might be longer), you can last longer on the oxygen you have. If the line you've chosen makes you "fight" the mountain, you'll run out faster. Would make sense, and could bring some interesting strategies into that mode.

No idea if it actually works like that though.

Looks like it's score based like Trick it, though.

Top Bottom