• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Dragnet

I have never used Game.co.uk myself I am quite interested. Am I better off pre ordering then picking up in store? My biggest problem right now is whether I should pick the game up day one or wait a month, im sure the price will drop fairly quick considering the limited multiplayer.

Also obligatory joke about how it must be a 'little bit tricky' fitting an entire mountain inside the delivery truck.

All I know is everything I've ever ordered from them online has arrived the day of release, and my post comes at mid-day. GAME opens at what, half 9? In store it is for me :D

Fixed1979

Is there anyone that's posting say 2.05 and under using classic controls? I swear they've fucked classic controls for racing as well as tricks.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was talking about. And isn't the general idea that many on that forum are quite enthusiastic SSX fans who know what they're talking about (obviously this won't apply to everyone there, but still)?

Ok, so maybe it's simply down to the PS3 controller being more sensitive, but shouldn't the developers then have accounted for that to make sure that the game is as easy/hard on either platform? Certain people in this thread seem very convinced that PS3 players are at a clear disadvantage because of this, whatever the root cause is.

Yeah, there might not be a "solid source", just a bunch of convinced people on an SSX forum. Personally, I just want to know if it's true or not. It won't really matter in the game, of course, since everyone will be competing on equal terms, but if what they are saying is true that's gonna make comparing cross-platform times on forums such as this one a lot less interesting.

Well, it's kind of funny you brought this up, because after playing both versions of the demo extensively I ended up deciding I was going to buy it on 360, and this was one of the main reasons. I initially thought I might get it on PS3.

The 360's tighter sticks just feel better for this game, and the face buttons are slightly easier to hit in groups, for tricking. So that made my decision for me.

But, that doesn't mean I believe the PS3 game has a flaw programmed into it. It's just a different feel to the analog sticks, and quite honestly, there have been games in the past where I preferred them because of that. It's just a game by game thing for me.

Did Ridernet get wiped last night in the full game? My rivals disappeared at around 11:30 PM EST

On which console?

soultron

Banned
SoldierBinoculars.jpg

What's this? Someone dropped new GeoTags?

Commando.gif

Let's do this.

mi8.jpg

Pancho

Qurupancho
Couldn't resist to play the demo one more time....was able to finish JT2 with 1:58
Feels good.

GameStop opens at 10AM tomorrow. Just a little under 24 hours from now until this game is all mine.

You're lucky, I still got to wait until after 5pm to pick up mine....damn job.

Fixed1979

Yup I'm playing on PS3.

Well shit, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I haven't done many races but I found the d-pad to be way less responsive than the stick for carving. There's one turn in the race (a left after a small jump into a cave) that when I used the d-pad I hit maybe 1 every 4 times but nailed every time with the stuck. I'll have to play around with it a bit more tonight.
I made an effort to use the new control scheme last night for tricks and kept finding myself hitting the shoulder buttons, I just feel like such an uncoordinated SSX beginner when using the stick.

V-Gief

A Swedish web store makes it sound like Mt Fuji and Eddie will be a pre-order bonus for both versions of the game.
Both Mt. Fuji and Eddie will be included in Webhallens pre-order bonus according to their website. That is usually the case though with nordic releases(getting all the pre-order bonuses), for some reason.

Both Mt. Fuji and Eddie will be included in Webhallens pre-order bonus according to their website. That is usually the case though with nordic releases(getting all the pre-order bonuses), for some reason.

I ordered the UK version from Spelbutiken. I have no idea if I'm getting either Mt. Fuji or Eddie.

Hale-XF11

Is there anyone that's posting say 2.05 and under using classic controls? I swear they've fucked classic controls for racing as well as tricks.

Like Grassclipper, I use classic controls on the PS3 and got my time down to 1:56. It's only fucked in that it's a little bit harder to get tricky since there's less spin than if you're using stick controls in the demo.

As far as the looseness of the left stick is concerned, I'm hoping the final game offers different board sizes/types with different levels of sensitivity when it comes to carving. Something closer to alpine would certainly help with maintaining a straighter line.

JaseMath

Well shit, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I haven't done many races but I found the d-pad to be way less responsive than the stick for carving. There's one turn in the race (a left after a small jump into a cave) that when I used the d-pad I hit maybe 1 every 4 times but nailed every time with the stuck. I'll have to play around with it a bit more tonight.
I made an effort to use the new control scheme last night for tricks and kept finding myself hitting the shoulder buttons, I just feel like such an uncoordinated SSX beginner when using the stick.

Yeah, had that problem too. Muscle memory is a bitch. :p Keep working at it though. I swore by classic, but in the last two days, actually prefer the new Standard (stick is alright, buttons are better).

Some advice: The best place to practice the new control is in a race event or on the drop after the tutorial. Don't do what I did and go right into the trick event. You can get pretty discouraged pretty quickly that way. Also, the hardest part (for me anyway) was substituting boost from Square to R2. Since Square is now nose press, it can screw you up pretty quickly. If you get past that hurdle and you're good to go.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I ordered the UK version from Spelbutiken. I have no idea if I'm getting either Mt. Fuji or Eddie.

According to this list, only GAME pre-orders get Mt. Fuji and Eddie in the UK:

GAME: Eddie, his unique snowboard and additional drop points on Mount Fuji
Amazon: Kaori’s Elite snowboard with a boost
HMV: Mac’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost
TheHut: Zoe’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost
Play.com: Elise’s Elite snowboard w/ boost

http://game-preorders.com/ssx-pre-order-bonus-list

What does that mean for an import from Spelbutiken? No idea, but it sounds like the best you can hope for is one of the "Elite" boards.

I like the way it works with Swedish retailers. If you pre-order a game from any of the ones that offer pre-order bonuses - doesn't matter which one - you generally get all the bonuses (which in this case means Eddie + snowboard + Mt. Fuji, so the same as GAME in the UK).

EDIT: Hmm, actually, it says "additional drop points on Mount Fuji" for the GAME pre-order. Does that mean everyone gets the mountain (on the disc?), but GAME pre-orders get extra drop points on it? The Swedish GAME site says the same thing, while Webhallen says:

• Downloadable in-game Character Eddie Wachowski including unique snowboard.
• Downloadable course; Mount Fuji.

...making it sound like the entire Mt. Fuji is pre-order bonus DLC. So yeah, now I'm confused.

A LOT of people don't seem to realize there are really 3 control options for this game.

1) Jump and tricks with the right analog stick (default)

2) Jump with the A/X button, and the face buttons are for tricks. (also default)

3) Classic controls from the old games.

So if you don't like the right analog stick, which is completely understandable as it sounds like a nightmare to me, try using the face buttons for tricks and jumping. It's not just the right stick, or the classic controls. There is a third option which I think will end up being the most popular, and is probably the easiest to use.

Well, it's kind of funny you brought this up, because after playing both versions of the demo extensively I ended up deciding I was going to buy it on 360, and this was one of the main reasons. I initially thought I might get it on PS3.

The 360's tighter sticks just feel better for this game, and the face buttons are slightly easier to hit in groups, for tricking. So that made my decision for me.

Yep, I played both demos a lot...too much probably, and it made my decision on getting the 360 version easier. The tighter analogs on the 360 controller just made the game much more enjoyable to me, which is saying a lot because I'm essentially giving up a whole extra mountain (at launch at least) for better controls.

I just watched the ign-review, it sounds like a fan video done by a 14 year old..

Technically I believe what IGN put up is considered a "paid advertisement".

The whole pre-order exclusivity thing is bullshit.

It's such a mess to understand as well.

I can't quite understand why some people get so wrapped up in this pre-order DLC stuff. If any of it was so important do you really think they'd leave it out of the game?

It's throwaway junk, meant to entice people to pre-order. A week later you're not going to give one shit that you got the +5 snowboard for Mac, when you could have had the +3 trick board for Zoe. At the end of the day it's irrelevant.

Fixed1979

I can't quite understand why some people get so wrapped up in this pre-order DLC stuff. If any of it was so important do you really think they'd leave it out of the game?

It's throwaway junk, meant to entice people to pre-order. A week later you're not going to give one shit that you got the +5 snowboard for Mac, when you could have had the +3 trick board for Zoe. At the end of the day it's irrelevant.

It doesn't make it any less bullshit.

A LOT of people don't seem to realize there are really 3 control options for this game.

1) Jump and tricks with the right analog stick (default)

2) Jump with the A/X button, and the face buttons are for tricks. (also default)

3) Classic controls from the old games.

So if you don't like the right analog stick, which is completely understandable as it sounds like a nightmare to me, try using the face buttons for tricks and jumping. It's not just the right stick, or the classic controls. There is a third option which I think will end up being the most popular, and is probably the easiest to use.

Sorry when I said stick I meant left stick (for carving), I wouldn't dare play this game using the right stick for tricks. Left stick + face buttons seem to be the best way to go, I just really need to get over the classic control set-up as it's poorly setup for trick events.

I agree when it comes to the "level 6" boards. They keep saying how they copied Borderlands guns with the boards, so you're going to be changing them constantly anyway. But when it comes to extra riders like Eddie or a an extra mountain, they're pushing the edge of my tolerance meter and I get close to saying "**** you, I'll just wait until your game is 19.99", which in this case is really easy to do since Redbox will have SSX on day one.

I agree when it comes to the "level 6" boards. They keep saying how they copied Borderlands guns with the boards, so you're going to be changing them constantly anyway. But when it comes to extra riders like Eddie or a an extra mountain, they're pushing the edge of my tolerance meter and I get close to saying "**** you, I'll just wait until your game is 19.99", which in this case is really easy to do since Redbox will have SSX on day one.

Its pretty ironic how pre-order bonuses have actually made me not buy games in the past aswell. (If im going to miss a chunk of the game im just not going to buy the game). Pre order bonuses only work when they are aesthetic fluff, with SSX most of it is. I dont care too much about the characters or whatever, but it seems like it would impact the gameplay to miss out on an entire mountain.

Even the "extra mountain" has me largely thinking "who cares"? The game already has a girth of tracks and terrain to cover. Does a tiny bit more really make much of a difference? It's like being upset your bag of Cheetos had 255 chips in, but mine had 265.

Obsess over whatever you wish, but I think both of you will not even give this a second thought a week from now. And, there is always the possibility that all of it could eventually be available as DLC. Either way, there will be more DLC for this game, you can bank on that.

How many mountains are there in the game? If there's less than 10 then an entire mountain would be a pretty big chunk to miss. It seems like each location has something like 3 mountains? If so its not so bad, unless its a mountain with especially good gameplay.

It doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Even the "extra mountain" has me largely thinking "who cares"? The game already has a girth of tracks and terrain to cover. Does a tiny bit more really make much of a difference? It's like being upset your bag of Cheetos had 255 chips in, but mine had 265.

Obsess over whatever you wish, but I think both of you will not even give this a second thought a week from now. And, there is always the possibility that all of it could eventually be available as DLC. Either way, there will be more DLC for this game, you can bank on that.

soultron

Banned
Even the "extra mountain" has me largely thinking "who cares"? The game already has a girth of tracks and terrain to cover. Does a tiny bit more really make much of a difference?

I couldn't care less, right now. There's a tonne of content in this game. I obsessed over the demo for probably 12 hours... imagine that with 150+ drops now. I've barely scratched the surface of Explore or Global Events and I've been playing the game for over 15 hours thus far, if I had to guess.

I hear what people are saying, but if you're anything like me, you'll be too wrapped up in the game to care.

Fixed1979

In the end I don't really give a shit. I didn't bother pre-ordering and I'm getting the PS3 version because that's what I've always played it on, that and I don't pay for Gold membership with my 360. Whatever is not included in my version will most likely not be missed. It's just a shitty practice, it always has been and always will be, regardless of game or developer.

when is the review embargo up?

Most likely at a time when it's too late for people that pre-ordered to cancel. There's been some twitter remarks from reviewers though. Gerstmann seemed to enjoy it, whereas a guy from Game Informer seemed to not enjoy it at all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, I played both demos a lot...too much probably, and it made my decision on getting the 360 version easier. The tighter analogs on the 360 controller just made the game much more enjoyable to me, which is saying a lot because I'm essentially giving up a whole extra mountain (at launch at least) for better controls.

See, that right there is what is kind of worrying to me. I'm gonna get it on PS3 either way, but knowing it controls worse is no fun.

In what way do the 360 controls feel tighter? Does it seem like a software issue, or simply an effect of how the different control sticks work?

Its pretty ironic how pre-order bonuses have actually made me not buy games in the past aswell. (If im going to miss a chunk of the game im just not going to buy the game). Pre order bonuses only work when they are aesthetic fluff, with SSX most of it is. I dont care too much about the characters or whatever, but it seems like it would impact the gameplay to miss out on an entire mountain.

How many mountains are there in the game? If there's less than 10 then an entire mountain would be a pretty big chunk to miss. It seems like each location has something like 3 mountains? If so its not so bad, unless its a mountain with especially good gameplay.

I don't know the exact number of mountains (and I don't actually want to know - please, anyone who decides to give this number, put it in spoiler tags), but there are nine mountain ranges, and each range seems to include 2-3 mountains. So if we take 9*2.5 we get 22.5. That's probably not accurate, but might be in the ballpark.

So yeah, one extra mountain isn't really a huge deal, but that mountain does include six new drop points. Does that mean two tracks with three drop points each (Race It, Trick It, Survive It) or three tracks with two drop points each? Who knows. But it is a bit of extra content, for sure.

See, that right there is what is kind of worrying to me. I'm gonna get it on PS3 either way, but knowing it controls worse is no fun.

In what way do the 360 controls feel tighter? Does it seem like a software issue, or simply an effect of how the different control sticks work?

The sticks on the 360 simply have more tension. It's not software related at all. It makes controlling shots in a game like Tiger Woods more manageable, and it makes holding a steady line and making sharp cuts in SSX easier as well. Keep in mind my scores and times in the PS3 demo are only off by a little bit, but the feel was enough to push me towards the 360 version.

Ken

So I've spent a good 5 or 6 hours with the full game now. Heres some things I wanted to note:

- Custom soundtracks are selected as Playlists in your Xbox 360's music library. So what I did was burn my songs to a CD, rip them to the Xbox, take those songs and create a playlist on the Xbox, then select that playlist in the SSX menus. You can assign different playlists for trick events, race events, suvival events, and the menu music. Personally I set custom playlists for race and trick, and left survival and menus to the default SSX music.

The custom soundtrack mixing works really well. The music will come in and out during big air, and it will even start scratching like a stuck record when you do spins on a rail. Some parts of the mixing sound auto-tuned too, which is a neat effect. Overall I'm really happy with it!

**EDIT**: Also forgot to mention that the custom soundtrack option will seemingly play your songs at random. It also appears that whatever algorithm it uses for this isnt very good, as my playlist has 23 songs in it and some songs I'll hear 3 or 4 times before I hear others once. Small annoyance.

- You don't need to play through the World Tour mode to unlock more characters, you can buy them with credits instead if you have enough. Some characters cost more credits than others. You can earn credits faster in the other modes I find.

- Lots of different color suits available for the characters. Some even has additional perks that give you stat bonuses, but cost more credits. Some suits have glowy parts to them that look really cool.

- Sometimes a mystery legendary item will show up in the shop with a timer showing how much time you have left to buy it. I haven't bought one that wasn't awesome so far.

- Some events are limited to certain level equipment, so don't worry about buying that level 10 board and using it forever. You'll need to buy good equipment for every level.

- The wingsuit takes a little time to get used to but is pretty fun. If you're off-balance when you deploy it, it needs a few seconds to "level out" before you can fly it properly. Takes some getting used to.

- They really make Griff out to be a douche in this game off the opening cinematic lol

If anyone has any questions let me know!
Is color of their suits the only character appearance customization their is?

Is color of their suits the only character appearance customization their is?

Unless you count their board, yeah. Except for the jump out of the helicopter, I don't really notice anything about my rider other than the repetitive things they say on the way down the mountain. This is why I miss the replay function. You'd have a great chance to see all the gear you bought on display in a replay.

Struct09

Playing both versions of the demo, I also agree that the 360 version controls better. Which I didn't see coming since I exclusively played tons of SSX and SSX3 on the PS2, and the classic controls ended up feeling a bit awkward even in the PS3 version. I ended up changing my preorder over to the 360 version.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The sticks on the 360 simply have more tension. It's not software related at all. It makes controlling shots in a game like Tiger Woods more manageable, and it makes holding a steady line and making sharp cuts in SSX easier as well. Keep in mind my scores and times in the PS3 demo are only off by a little bit, but the feel was enough to push me towards the 360 version.

Well ok, if that's really all it is I'm not worried. I'm more used to the PS3 controller (and its sticks) anyway. Guess you just have to be a bit gentler with your input in order to hold a steady line if you're playing the PS3 version. Still don't feel like I've quite got that down, but with more practice I'm sure I will.

Playing both versions of the demo, I also agree that the 360 version controls better. Which I didn't see coming since I exclusively played tons of SSX and SSX3 on the PS2, and the classic controls ended up feeling a bit awkward even in the PS3 version. I ended up changing my preorder over to the 360 version.

Do you also agree that it's just a matter of different tension in the sticks, or is there something else going on?

DeFrank

Yea, I came to this conclusion, as well. Which kinda sucks because I kind of wanted the Mt. Fuji exclusive DLC (which is fucking bullshit). Reluctantly preordered the 360 version.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sucks that PS3 controls worse. Are the controls in this game similar to the PS2 ones? B/c with the trigger use I was going to go for PS3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, now we have people confirming by the dozen that the 360 version controls better. Would it really be this unanimous if it was simply a matter of different stick tension? Seems weird.

JaseMath

Amazon hasn't shipped my PS3 version yet :(. They screwed up my Dark Souls pre-order... they better not screw up my SSX.

Mine neither. I've never done release day shipping, so I don't know if they ship it overnight or what. Still says it's slated for a Feb.28th delivery...

soultron

Banned
Ok, now we have people confirming by the dozen that the 360 version controls better. Would it really be this unanimous if it was simply a matter of different stick tension? Seems weird.

I've still not played the game on PS3, but every multiplatform game I play on PS3 seems to control worse to me because I play 95% of my games on 360. The sticks are looser on PS3, absolutely. But if you're someone who plays PS3 95% of the time, won't that feel more natural to you in the first place?

Struct09

Do you also agree that it's just a matter of different tension in the sticks, or is there something else going on?

I think that's part of it for me, I definitely prefer the 360 analogs in nearly any type of game I play. The DualShock 3 R2 and L2 buttons kind of ruin the classic controls for me as well (Real Triggers don't seem to help either)

Yea, I came to this conclusion, as well. Which kinda sucks because I kind of wanted the Mt. Fuji exclusive DLC (which is fucking bullshit). Reluctantly preordered the 360 version.

Yeah, this bothered me as well. Hopefully they release it down the line for the 360 version.

Pancho

Qurupancho
i don't get this whole controller thing, regardless of the console everyone else you're competing against are gonna be using the same controller as you. Would be a legit concern if there was a general leaderboard for both consoles. Not like the PS3 version controls like crap, I play just fine.

Well what with EA's embargo guess I'll keep my preorder and hope for the best. If it's shit I should be able to turn around and get what I paid for it, hopefully (taking into account the $10 Amazon credit.)

Top Bottom