• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

iFootball

So, anyone else pre-ordered from Newegg after their free-shipping + discount offer?.... luckily my copy is being shipped to NYS, so it's also tax-free for a total of 47.99...

But I'm worried the pre-order is still flagged as "on-hold"... =S... I'm very tempted to go to Walmart/Gamestop and just pick it up tonight (midnight release??).. for an extra $16... lol

JaseMath

Anyone know of a good third party PS3 controller that feels like the 360's analog sticks?

The Power A Pro Elite is supposed to be good. Apparently it has dead zone issues though.

glow000.jpg

wwm0nkey

Anyone know of a good third party PS3 controller that feels like the 360's analog sticks?

ps3-mlg-pro-circuit-controller.jpg

Mad Catz MLG controller, $100 but AMAZING controller and all the parts are fully changeable. So yes you can have the stick layout exactly like a 360 layout.

Also no dead zone issues like other controllers.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Two things:

1) Your comparison to Pixel Junk Shooter is 2 million % pointless. Every single game has it's own programming related to the analog sticks. A shooter of that type would likely have the tightest controls possible.

2) It's already been established repeatedly now, that the PS3 analog sticks have always been looser than the 360 sticks. I have personally played many games on both consoles, and have tried many demos on both consoles, to make the same determination I did with SSX. Which version do I buy?

Every single time it's immediately noticeable to me that the PS3 sticks feel looser, and sometimes I like it that way for certain games. Sometimes I prefer the tighter sticks on the 360.

Regardless, it's always been this way. So what I'm trying to say is that the people on that SSX forum, and yourself, are freaking out about something that has always existed, and now they're trying to make something huge out of it with this one game because they're obsessively comparing the two versions of the same game. I've done this myself with previous demos, and the conclusions were always the same. The PS3 controls feel looser, because the sticks are looser.

In summary, it's extremely likely the game is the same between the two versions, but the sticks are making people think otherwise.

I'm just having a hard time believing it's all down to the control sticks being different, considering the amount of people who have expressed a very strong preference for the way the 360 version controls. For these people it's not a minor thing; people who have been playing all previous SSX games on PS2 are switching their pre-orders over to the 360 version after playing both demos. Are the PS3 control sticks looser? Yes. Does that account for the entirety of the difference in controls between the two versions of this game? That's what I'm just not so sure about.

The 360 version was supposedly lead, so is it unthinkable that they might have optimized the controls for that version and then not made quite the same effort to make sure the PS3 version controls as well?

Regarding the deadzone and the PJS2 comparison: Yes, games are different, but I just don't know why they would knowingly program such a large deadzone. A large deadzone is never better than a small one, it just makes the game feel less responsive.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you think the PS3 version controls worse, then get the Xbox version. That's totally fine. If RoadHazard thinks the Xbox version controls better, he should get that version. If somebody else thinks the PS3 version controls better (or they have no opinion on the matter but want Mt Fuji) then they should get the PS3 version. No reason for everybody to get so butthurt about it. It's not like the difference is drastic at all. The PS3 sticks are loose, always have been. If you think that'll make SSX more difficult, then get the Xbox version.

A few pages back somebody put up a link to the LensOfTruth comparison. That could have turned into a giant shitstorm, but we all basically agreed that the difference was negligible at most. This is the exact same thing, but everybody is freaking out for no reason. Ya'll need to calm down. Everybody is freaking out because we're at the 11th hour and we've been obsessing over every tiny detail of this game for the better part of a year now.

1. I don't have a 360.
  2. I'm not "butthurt". I just don't want the version I happen to be getting to control worse than the other version, when there should be no reason for that to be the case.
  3. I don't have any trouble with the PS3 sticks being loose in other games. In fact, I prefer the way they feel to the 360 sticks. In this game, I am having some trouble with the controls. At first, I thought that's just the way the game is, but after reading a lot of comments from people who have played both versions it seems like that might not be the whole truth.
  4. Minor visual differences are negligible. Noticeably worse controls are not.

I'm just having a hard time believing it's all down to the control sticks being different, considering the amount of people who have expressed a very strong preference for the way the 360 version controls. For these people it's not a minor thing; people who have been playing all previous SSX games on PS2 are switching their pre-orders over to the 360 version after playing both demos.

The 360 version was supposedly lead, so is it unthinkable that they might have optimized the controls for that version and then not made quite the same effort to make sure the PS3 version controls as well?

1. I don't have a 360.
  2. I'm not "butthurt". I just don't want the version I happen to be getting to control worse than the other version, when there should be no reason for that to be the case.
  3. I don't have any trouble with the PS3 sticks being "loose" in other games. In fact, I prefer them to the 360 sticks. In this game, I am having some trouble with the controls. At first, I thought that's just the way the game is, but after reading a lot of comments from people who have played both versions that doesn't really seem to be the case.
  4. Minor visual differences are negligible. Noticeable worse controls are not.

If you don't have a 360 then there really isn't anything you can do about it (short of buying a 360), so why fret so much over it? You're just winding yourself up for no good reason.

But your're right, it's not unthinkable that the two control sets might be slightly different. From my experience, I am doing better on the PS3 version compared to the Xbox one. Granted I have put more time in on the PS3 version but I think that only justifies my statement. The group saying the Xbox version is better are playing it more. It's all observer bias.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I said this in the Vita thread regarding the OLED nitpicking and I will say it here regarding controller nitpicking. I swear some of you would bitch about the scattered clothes of a naked supermodel in your bed.

tm24

My little cousin now goes around yelling Tostitos since thats what she thinks is said when i go into tricky. It's so damn adorable

Pinbot

Banned
The Power A Pro Elite is supposed to be good. Apparently it has dead zone issues though.

I liked the look of the power A too, until I had to return it due to it not responding. The guy at EB games, where I returned it, said it happens often.

The afterglow AP-1 is much better, though it is wired. Haven't had a problem with it at all.

Dany

Banned
My little cousin now goes around yelling Tostitos since thats what she thinks is said when i go into tricky. It's so damn adorable

My niece would start yelling "again!!!" when I fumble or would start spinning as the character spins, very kid friendly

donarumo

Neo Member
Just found my wishlist from 2010 when I heard about a new SSX being developed. Posted this at a different site back then.

If there is a game being made, this is my wishlist:

1. Characters will look like adults, not big headed children
2. City based levels will be included (like Tricky and SSX 3)
3. Favorite characters will be included
4. Any control scheme allows for a deep amount of tricks
5. Tricks can be held till the last second
6. Lots of shortcuts and alt. paths
7. Huge jumps and falls (5 to 10 second air time)
8. Large amount of unlockables (clothing, boards, tricks)
9. Track editor (I know, this is unreasonable but would still be cool)

Other than this, the team is free to do what they want :) Hopefully, the franchise is in good hands.

WOW, 8 out of 10 is not bad at all!

So, anyone else pre-ordered from Newegg after their free-shipping + discount offer?.... luckily my copy is being shipped to NYS, so it's also tax-free for a total of 47.99...

But I'm worried the pre-order is still flagged as "on-hold"... =S... I'm very tempted to go to Walmart/Gamestop and just pick it up tonight (midnight release??).. for an extra $16... lol

Newegg is offering a discount? I checked the Newegg page and it just says free shipping.

D6AMIA6N

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed by the demo. However, I loved SSX-SSX 3. I hope the full game is at least as good as SSX 3.

Fixed1979

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty disappointed by the demo. However, I loved SSX-SSX 3. I hope the full game is at least as good as SSX 3.

I've given up on believing it will come close to SSX 3 or Tricky. It'll be a fun game but they've gone too far from what I really enjoyed about the old games. This is based only on the demo, perhaps the full game will change my mind, but I really doubt it.

JaseMath

Since Amazon has yet to ship my order for release day delivery, at what point do I start to panic?

Also, I'm impatiently excited. Also, I've never done release date delivery.

reKon

Banned
I've given up on believing it will come close to SSX 3 or Tricky. It'll be a fun game but they've gone too far from what I really enjoyed about the old games. This is based only on the demo, perhaps the full game will change my mind, but I really doubt it.

Not as much style and personality in this one? I haven't played the demo yet

D6AMIA6N

Soultron, since you have the full game (if you are able), how would you compare it to the first 3 games? As good as 3? Better? Do you feel that it is a good representation of what you felt a "next-gen" SSX would be like? Graphically, game play wise, UI, etc.?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Since Amazon has yet to ship my order for release day delivery, at what point do I start to panic?

Never done release date delivery.

Sometimes they don't update/ship/send out an email till 11 pm est. No need to worry at all right now.

As long as it says shipping soon you should have it tomorrow. Mine hasnt shipped either, most likely shipping from a close warehouse via ground or standard overnight.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Last time I used release date delivery, it didn't show as shipped until well past midnight.

noomi

anyone know how many tracks there are in SSX? i know there are 9 different areas, but isnt there like 2/3 tracks per area/mountain?

Yeah, after years with buying my games primarily through Amazon, and having just a silly amount of games delivered with release date delivery, only once did it not arrive on release day. And even then, it was FedEx's fault.

I <3 Amazon and will continue to do so AS LONG as my copy of SSX is waiting for me after work tomorrow! : D (EDIT: My is showing shipped! Woohoo!)

Will have to spend more time in the custom soundtrack thread, want to get that read for SSX tonight.

Don't. It's probably already shipped. They are very bad about updating shipping status for release day delivery. One time I got the "your item has shipped" email AFTER the game had already been delivered to my house.

JaseMath

Thanks all for talking me off the ledge. :D

I haven't been this excited for a video game in years. The only thread on GAF that matters right now is the SSX OT thread. True story.

MattDoza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7rCy4trvU

Holy crap this run of the demo track is insane. I noticed in the video tags he types out that walking dog gives you less points than the advanced tricks...which is really weird.

I remember, back before Tony Hawk had online play, thinking I was really good at this stuff. Then I hopped online and was just trashed by people like this. Race it! is where I'm going to have the most fun. I just can't string together tricks like this to set great scores. And not that you have to, but beating scores and taking the top spot is a good amount of the fun with Ridernet.

Fixed1979

Not as much style and personality in this one? I haven't played the demo yet

Oh I think this game appears to have lots of style and personality, it's not the same type of personality of the old games but it's there. I just think they took the arcade feel of the game to another level with the speed and controls. I also prefer a more of a event course design then the open mountain. None of these things are necessarily bad, but just not the direction I would have preferred. Some people have already put this one at the top of the SSX rankings, some of that is probably hype but some people are really going to love what they did here. I'm thinking I'll have a love/hate relationship with this game for awhile. Keep in mind I'm only basing this off the demo as well...

AndyD

aka andydumi
anyone know how many tracks there are in SSX? i know there are 9 different areas, but isnt there like 2/3 tracks per area/mountain?

We tried to tally it up before based on the numbers they gave.

Its 9 areas, with about 3-5 peaks each, and each peak has 3-5 drops. So 9*4*4 is approximately the number of runs they said we would have.

Bear in mind that some drops are race/tricks for the same drop so they are double counted.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I wish you two were here when that news come out a couple weeks ago. You would have gotten your rage out with the rest of us and already hit the point of acceptance.

Sorry for asking again, but I'm about to pre-order the game... My question is the pre-order DLC later unlocked in the standard version off the game? I don't know of it's worth to buy the pre-order version, it's more expensive over here ( Netherlands )

iFootball

Newegg is offering a discount? I checked the Newegg page and it just says free shipping.

I'm sorry for the confusion... the offer was live in early January I believe.

Also... just as I was posting here in GAF about my concern with my order, Newegg emailed me stating that my order is now being processed :D.. it will hopefully be here soon!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I said this in the Vita thread regarding the OLED nitpicking and I will say it here regarding controller nitpicking. I swear some of you would bitch about the scattered clothes of a naked supermodel in your bed.

Sorry, but minor visual differences or defects are not comparable to worse controls. Nothing is more important in an SSX game than its gameplay and the player's ability to properly control it.

Sorry, but minor visual differences or defects are not comparable to worse controls. Nothing is more important in an SSX game than its gameplay and the player's ability to properly control it.

If I only owned a PS3, I'd still be happy with SSX. It's just that I have the choice, so I'm going with the 360 version. Don't take that to mean I think the PS3 version is broken in any way. I hate the dual shock. I can't put it into enough words how much I hate it. I hate the loose sticks, the size, and triggers, and the placement of the sticks. But it still works for SSX so you should just relax and enjoy it. If you love the dual shock, which I assume you do since you bought a PS3 and not a 360, you'll be fine. And you can sleep easier knowing you get a mountain that I don't.

Fuck now I am worried about the custom soundtracks. All my music is on my Ps3..FUCKK...decisions decisions.

Edit: Has it been confirmed if the "reset" button is not in the game? Is rewind the only option now? I hate falling down a cliff or getting stuck behind a tree and not being able to do anything about it.

Fixed1979

So what's the word on the rewind glitch thing? Cause this guy responded to a comment saying it boosted his top score to 72 million....

I asked about it earlier in the thread and was told no one cared because it didn't make make a significant difference as people who be posting the same scores with or without it which is a bit of a cop out regardless if it's true or not. Is there proof that he used this glitch to actually post that score?

I asked about it earlier in the thread and was told no one cared because it didn't make make a significant difference as people who be posting the same scores with or without it which is a bit of a cop out regardless if it's true or not. Is there proof that he used this glitch to actually post that score?

Well he DOES have a 61 million score video as well, so it isn't as huge as I thought. But still, 10 million extra points for slowing the game down?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I asked about it earlier in the thread and was told no one cared because it didn't make make a significant difference, is there proof that he used this glitch to actually post that score?

The 50 million is legit, but he said he was able to get into 70 million playing like that but rewinding. The glitch is very real...haven't heard if it's still in the retail game but I assume it is.

Top Bottom