• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I wish you two were here when that news come out a couple weeks ago. You would have gotten your rage out with the rest of us and already hit the point of acceptance.
I just so clearly remember hearing Todd Batty in an interview awhile ago say there was going to be party chat with your friends in global events so it really irritates me.

I have accepted it already but that doesn't mean I like it. Todd's excuse is that since you are never truly in sync with other players there's no network to send the voice chat info through, but so what. In Twisted Metal you can set up a party and everyone in that party can go play singleplayer and you can still talk to everyone. Starhawk is going to have the same thing. This isn't something technical, it's something financial. They didn't want to spend the extra money to get voice chat in, which surprises me because it's not like EA doesn't have the money to fund it. But then again, it is EA so it doesn't surprise me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I only owned a PS3, I'd still be happy with SSX. It's just that I have the choice, so I'm going with the 360 version. Don't take that to mean I think the PS3 version is broken in any way. I hate the dual shock. I can't put it into enough words how much I hate it. I hate the loose sticks, the size, and triggers, and the placement of the sticks. But it still works for SSX so you should just relax and enjoy it. If you love the dual shock, which I assume you do since you bought a PS3 and not a 360, you'll be fine. And you can sleep easier knowing you get a mountain that I don't.

I will enjoy the hell out of it, I'm sure of it! I've been absolutely loving the demo, so no worries there. I can still care about the controls not being quite as tight as they are in the 360 version though (the 360 version being lead means that's how the game is supposed to control), just like how people cared that the aiming in Uncharted 3 wasn't as good as in the previous games until they patched it.

Fixed1979

Well he DOES have a 61 million score video as well, so it isn't as huge as I thought. But still, 10 million extra points for slowing the game down?

I can't watch videos here at work, but I know people are going to find exploits in this game and it's about how EA deals with them. So far I don't believe they've commented on this besides to say they're aware...

JaseMath

One last push for for the public Spotify playlist.

Buying SSX? Need music for your playlist? We've created a collaborative Spotify playlist! Some really, really good stuff on here. Subscribe, listen and add your own!

SSX 2012 Co-Op

If I only owned a PS3, I'd still be happy with SSX. It's just that I have the choice, so I'm going with the 360 version. Don't take that to mean I think the PS3 version is broken in any way. I hate the dual shock. I can't put it into enough words how much I hate it. I hate the loose sticks, the size, and triggers, and the placement of the sticks. But it still works for SSX so you should just relax and enjoy it. If you love the dual shock, which I assume you do since you bought a PS3 and not a 360, you'll be fine. And you can sleep easier knowing you get a mountain that I don't.
Also just to note, which controller you use is entirely preference. There seems to be a general consensus that the 360 controller is better for just about everything, but I absolutely hate the way it's laid out and the placement of the sticks, everything about it feels so unnatural for me. I know I'm in the minority but I honestly don't believe either controller is better.

And like you said, people are doing just fine on the PS3 and it doesn't even matter if one has an advantage over another because you're only going to be competing against the people on your console.

I can't watch videos here at work, but I know people are going to find exploits in this game and it's about how EA deals with them. So far I don't believe they've commented on this besides to say they're aware...

I hope they also look at how he's posting these scores with only 2 tricks and front flips almost the entire run. I've always hated that part of the combo system in these arcade extreme sports games. The person with the most VARIED combos all the way down should be the ones getting high scores. He's basically found which tricks maximize point value and spams them the whole time by alternating.

Fixed1979

I hope they also look at how he's posting these scores with only 2 tricks and front flips almost the entire run. I've always hated that part of the combo system in these arcade extreme sports games. The person with the most VARIED combos all the way down should be the ones getting high scores. He's basically found which tricks maximize point value and spams them the whole time by alternating.

I wouldn't expect that too change. As much as it "cheapens" the game people are going to always going to use the tricks that give them the most points and there's an Uber trick that does just that. The only thing saving it from being the same trick over and over again is the repeat trick penalty (which only goes back to the previous trick).

It's no different than spamming a move in a fighting game.

Pretty much, if it gets results people are going to use it.

I suppose if they really wanted to they can expand on the repeat trick penalty they could, but I'm not sure how good of an idea that is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I wouldn't expect that too change. As much as it "cheapens" the game people are going to always going to use the tricks that give them the most points and there's an Uber trick that does just that. The only thing saving it from being the same trick over and over again is the repeat trick penalty (which only goes back to the previous trick).

Perhaps they can award variety bonuses at the end. Based on the total amount of different tricks you used. Someone using 5 alternating in a 5 minute run would get far less of a bonus than someone using 25 in a 5 minute run.

Maybe they won't/can't adjust it for THIS game, but I'd like future iterations to change the system a bit. No point in all these tricks available if there are 2 worth more than even the Signature trick that can be spammed all the way down the course. It's backwards logic when the Trick runs are, supposedly, rewarding for style. There should be a "new trick" bonus on top of the other added points that refreshes itself, at least, every 5 tricks. That way top scorers are forced to use a bigger trick set instead of alternating between 2.

It's no different than spamming a move in a fighting game.

Which is usually frowned upon, can be defended, or is fixed/patched in a revision/update. No reason they shouldn't "fix" it here too.

gate777

Someone please tell me how custom soundtracks work on ps3....

I don't have the game yet, but it probably works like most other games that support custom soundtracks. Make a playlist on your ps3 and add your desired tracks, then select the playlist through the game itself.

balddemon

Banned
I bet Target already has it, but I"m waiting until tomorrow so I can get an extra 5% off using my RedCard. I am super excited to have something new to play lol, can't wait

I don't have the game yet, but it probably works like most other games that support custom soundtracks. Make a playlist on your ps3 and add your desired tracks, then select the playlist through the game itself.
Nope, actually how it works is you go to the Music option in the menu and create a playlist from there. You will not be able to play your music directly from the XMB. This video details it for a brief moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyuhknk4Tuw

8o9Jf.jpg

Hell yes.

soultron

Banned
Yeah, hehe, I like that. Even though I still miss Brodi, this new guy seems alright, especially since he gives off the same zen-like vibe.

6 hours to go until I head out to get my copy!

I really dig all the new characters, but Tane is definitely my favourite because of the heavy surf vibes. c: His Uber is just too good.

Got my SMS from UPS saying that my copy will arrive between 2 and 6PM. Good thing I also have it pre-ordered at GameStop so I could get Eddie and get it right when the store opens (which isn't until 10AM -- LAME). I'm just going to return the copy I get from Amazon to GameStop (since it was more expensive there).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sorry, but minor visual differences or defects are not comparable to worse controls. Nothing is more important in an SSX game than its gameplay and the player's ability to properly control it.

I will almost guarantee this nonsense about controls is just that - nonsense. The two controllers are different. This is not news in 2012. But hearing people complain about the perceived control issues before release is frankly annoying.

Trey

Knob off Americans!

I'm teetering dangerously close to getting this game tonight. I was going to hold off because of responsibilities and not wanting to spend so much money on an item I can't really justify dedicating so much play time to, but shit, that demo...

I can speak about the game now. Ask away!

Comment on PS3 Controllergate (not really, I don't fucking care about that).

Have you loaded up any custom songs yet? Does the remixing sound as good as it does on the included songs?

Oddly I don't have any other questions than that. I could ask you about all the various runs and stuff but I don't really want to spoil myself...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon did their shippy shippy thing and I'll have it tomorrow.
PS3 version for Mt. Fuji.
What's this controllergate shit I'm hearing about now?

Amazon did their shippy shippy thing and I'll have it tomorrow.
PS3 version for Mt. Fuji.
What's this controllergate shit I'm hearing about now?

Some people think there is some problem with the PS3 controls. I set my best times/scores on a PS3 controller. The whole thing is nothing but a bunch of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Don't worry about it.

How many unique tracks are there in the game. It's not 153, right?

Nooooo. Most race courses are also trick courses. And many of those courses have multiple races and trick runs on them. The trick track in the demo for example comprises 4 of the "drops" in the final game.

soultron

Banned
How many unique tracks are there in the game. It's not 153, right?

I honestly can't remember, but I'll try to get the number for you. (I've been told not to speculate if I don't know something, which is understandable. :p)

There's a tonne of content though. Some of the runs are absolutely MASSIVE. Runs in places like Siberia and Antarctica have so many alternate routes that you could spend hours getting a top Trick It or Race It score/time. I mean that too; it's going to take even the most hardcore a long time to figure out the ideal lines for either event type.

Antarctica is going to blow your mind once you see it. It's a maze of caves, shelves of ridges, and multi-tiered pathways. It's probably one of my favourite regions so far, but I haven't spent enough time with the others yet. :p

Top Bottom