• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

bedlamite

Was having a fantastic time until I played Siberia DD. I must have restarted at least 20 times and I only finally managed to complete it by caaaarefully navigating the level instead of tricking with wild abandon. NOT the way I like to play SSX

Oh and Patagonia...so awesome.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Those reviews are pretty damn whiny. They complain about just about every aspect of the game. They also seem to be stuck in the past, unable to get over the game's first trailer.

The Verge (9/10) has a more positive take, commending many of the things the NowGamer reviews complain about.

I guess it's a matter of taste.

I have a feeling this new "death" aspect of SSX is going to be as polarizing among fans as it is with reviewers. My personal opinion is that I don't play an SSX game to die, or for there to be a threat of death. I want varied, cool-looking surroundings and the ability to trick off all of it. Will definitely be playing it later today to see how much of what I love is still in the game, but so far in none of the videos have I seen a single track that comes to replicating the fun I had in SSX Tricky. And as I type this UPS is here with my copy. Peace. Out for now.

Was having a fantastic time until I played Siberia DD. I must have restarted at least 20 times and I only finally managed to complete it by caaaarefully navigating the level instead of tricking with wild abandon. NOT the way I like to play SSX

This type of thing worries me. That is the type of rigid game design I generally don't like. You must complete these gameplay elements in this very specific way, or you fail. Yeah, no thanks.

Hope that isn't too common in the game. :|

krpiper

Those reviews are pretty damn whiny. They complain about just about every aspect of the game. They also seem to be stuck in the past, unable to get over the game's first trailer.

The Verge (9/10) has a more positive take, commending many of the things the NowGamer reviews complain about.

I guess it's a matter of taste.

lol on the 360 review N/A on multiplayer

Fixed1979

Most of the game doesn't have instakill terrain. There are some mountains where you can fall off the sides and such but you don't need to worry with the majority of them. I'd say probably one or two drops per mountain have instakill areas at the most.

It happens enough that I can understand the complaint. Nothing like getting big air off a nice ramp just to land in a bottomless hole.

Conflicting reports are in. What a terrible thing to put in an SSX game.

I have a feeling this new "death" aspect of SSX is going to be as polarizing among fans as it is with reviewers. My personal opinion is that I don't play an SSX game to die, or for there to be a threat of death. I want varied, cool-looking surroundings and the ability to trick off all of it. Will definitely be playing it later today to see how much of what I love is still in the game, but so far in none of the videos have I seen a single track that comes to replicating the fun I had in SSX Tricky. And as I type this UPS is here with my copy. Peace. Out for now.

I think we're somewhat similar in what we were hoping to get out of this, let me know how you find it once you actually get your hands on it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The DD's are more annoying than fun. They might grow on me but so far, not a fan.

Curufinwe

You didn't die in SSX 3, but I recall plenty of events where if you made one mistake you could end up someplace where you had to reset, or restart the event if you wanted to get gold.

The DD's are more annoying than fun. They might grow on me but so far, not a fan.

Ironically it seems like those were the big focus of the game from day one.

As I said from the very first reveal, it seems like every new thing this development team wanted to bring to this franchise was a horrible idea. It's the old stuff that will likely end up redeeming this game, and make it worth playing.

You didn't die in SSX 3, but I recall plenty of events where if you made one mistake you could end up someplace where you had to reset, or restart the event if you wanted to get gold.
And really what's the difference?

There's a lot of arcade racing games (which SSX somewhat falls into) where something happens and you have to reset. There's also a lot of arcade extreme sports games (which SSX also falls into) where something happens and you have to reset. Even in past SSX. Only now they label it as dying, but it's really nothing new.

I also think I'm going to like the new Deadly Descent aspect. People calling it too challenging and not the way they want to play SSX, then don't play that part. If you want to go off big jumps without a concern you may land somewhere bad then just pick a different drop. To me the Deadly Descents sounds like an expanded concept of several mobile gaming apps, simply trying to keep on going without "dying." Those have always been really amusing to me so I don't mind changing up my SSX gameplay a little just for one section of the game.

I also don't understand the rewind complaint. It's like the check-point complaint in other genres. Play a game without checkpoints and get back to me on how frustrating it is. The rewind feature is only going to help you learn the drop points so you don't have to constantly repeat the section of the mountain you perfected to work on the part you don't. It's like saying to a musician if you want to learn a song you can only practice it from beginning to end. Its absurd. But in the end when it's time to perform or put out your top time or score, you must do so from top to bottom without using any rewinds because there is a penalty. You cannot expect to move up on the leader boards against your friends using rewind.

soultron

Banned

I loved them, personally. Like someone has mentioned, I think it might be a matter of taste. For that reason, it's a good thing that you can avoid them completely by just playing the game in Explore mode if you want to stick to single-player only.

Gotta update the OP with all the new reviews!

Fixed1979

And really what's the difference?

There's a lot of arcade racing games (which SSX somewhat falls into) where something happens and you have to reset. There's also a lot of arcade extreme sports games (which SSX also falls into) where something happens and you have to reset. Even in past SSX. Only now they label it as dying, but it's really nothing new.

I also think I'm going to like the new Deadly Descent aspect. People calling it too challenging and not the way they want to play SSX, then don't play that part. If you want to go off big jumps without a concern you may land somewhere bad then just pick a different drop. To me the Deadly Descents sounds like an expanded concept of several mobile gaming apps, simply trying to keep on going without "dying." Those have always been really amusing to me so I don't mind changing up my SSX gameplay a little just for one section of the game.

I also don't understand the rewind complaint. It's like the check-point complaint in other genres. Play a game without checkpoints and get back to me on how frustrating it is. The rewind feature is only going to help you learn the drop points so you don't have to constantly repeat the section of the mountain you perfected to work on the part you don't. It's like saying to a musician if you want to learn a song you can only practice it from beginning to end. Its absurd. But in the end when it's time to perform or put out your top time or score, you must do so from top to bottom without using any rewinds because there is a penalty. You cannot expect to move up on the leader boards against your friends using rewind.

I'm trying to think of old courses that had areas in the middle of the course that would force a reset and they're few and far between. Purposely throwing "dangers" into the middle of a course is not the same thing at all. Resetting because you hit that orange snowflake and you need to get back online to hit the red snowflake is not the same thing.

It sounds like the DD can't be avoided if you want to advance in the game. Which is unfortunate as it just seems like it's completely unnecessary addition to the game.

The biggest problem I have with the rewind feature in this game is the fact that it is being abused to some extent (no one seems to really know to what level), and that it was designed to be used while when duplicating tricks. The old reset would get you on the track, you'd miss the jump/points and loose boost. Which one you'd prefer is down to preference, but it just seems like another addition that isn't really necessary.

Without being too negative on launch day, the new control scheme did click a bit for me last night and actually started to feel good. I am pretty excited about playing an SSX game again even though it may not be the exact one I want. I really hope there's a few course designs that really surprise me and feel like some of the old levels. Since we're there's no way we're going to get an HD remake of the old games I will happily pay a substantial amount for remakes of the old levels (DD free of course =P), with the new mapping tech I can't imagine this will happen though.

It sounds like the DD can't be avoided if you want to advance in the game. Which is unfortunate as it just seems like it's completely unnecessary addition to the game.
Can't you also earn credit in Explore and Global Events that you can use to unlock other characters and gear, in which case you can choose not to select any DD? Seems so.

Unless you want to beat the World Tour for trophies/achievements/non-important stuff.

Can't you also earn credit in Explore and Global Events that you can use to unlock other characters and gear, in which case you can choose not to select any DD? Seems so.

Unless you want to beat the World Tour for trophies/achievements/non-important stuff.

The DDs in the World Tour are relatively easy though. They get really hard in the global events

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I've got nothing better to do while waiting for Amazon to throw the package on my porch so I've been reading all of these reviews that have been posted.

It seems like some of these reviewers and sites are really stuck in the past. Most of them are complaining about the rewind system (that you don't have to use) and the adding of the deadly descents. I can understand that but it seems to be such a small part of the actual game.

And a big LOL goes out to Edge who can't seem to get into Tricky mode.. Really?!?

Fixed1979

Possibly, but yeah I don't imagine 100% completion would be possible. Either way I'm going to lay off bitching for a few days. I'll get the game today and see what happens, I know I'm getting into stuff I'm not sure of and that's not doing any good.

With that said it's SSX day! Down to my local Wal-mart at lunch to grab the game. How's the manual that comes with this thing, big and colorful or the standard EA fair? I want something to read this afternoon.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't want to appear all negative here. World Tour is a glorified tutorial and as far as tutorials go, its pretty damn fun. As far as tracks go, there's plenty of good ones. Serenity is already one of my favorite tracks in the series.

Cartman86

Banned
Can anyone say if the artist and track titles of custom songs ripped to your hard drive show up in game? Cause so far I can't get my ripped music to contain meta data so I want to know if it's worth even trying to do that if SSX isn't gonna bother reading it anyways.

JambiBum

I'm trying to think of old courses that had areas in the middle of the course that would force a reset and they're few and far between. Purposely throwing "dangers" into the middle of a course is not the same thing at all. Resetting because you hit that orange snowflake and you need to get back online to hit the red snowflake is not the same thing.

The biggest problem I have with the rewind feature in this game is the fact that it is being abused to some extent (no one seems to really know to what level), and that it was designed to be used while when duplicating tricks. The old reset would get you on the track, you'd miss the jump/points and loose boost. Which one you'd prefer is down to preference, but it just seems like another addition that isn't really necessary.

Without being too negative on launch day, the new control scheme did click a bit for me last night and actually started to feel good. I am pretty excited about playing an SSX game again even though it may not be the exact one I want. I really hope there's a few course designs that really surprise me and feel like some of the old levels. Since we're there's no way we're going to get an HD remake of the old games I will happily pay a substantial amount for remakes of the old levels (DD free of course =P), with the new mapping tech I can't imagine this will happen though.

It gives you the option to skip the DD's in world tour if you don't want to do them. You can actually skip any drop I am pretty sure.

soultron

Banned

As soon as you complete the tutorials (skyboarding and the ground controls tutorial) you're given access to Explore and Global Events, which means if you want, you never have to play a Deadly Descent track.

So I read the EDGE review and while I got it, I feel that they found the game to be super difficult and slammed the game for something that's such a small portion of this game. The comment about Super TRICKY being "hard-earned and fleeting" was kind of telling of their reviewer's skill level and I think this is why they found the Deadly Descents tracks to be a major flaw.

Fixed1979

As soon as you complete the tutorials (skyboarding and the ground controls tutorial) you're given access to Explore and Global Events, which means if you want, you never have to play a Deadly Descent track.

Thanks, this is why I'm done until I actually get my hands on the game this afternoon. =)

Can anyone say if the artist and track titles of custom songs ripped to your hard drive show up in game? Cause so far I can't get my ripped music to contain meta data so I want to know if it's worth even trying to do that if SSX isn't gonna bother reading it anyways.

They don't show up in game, don't worry about it.

2.5 hours of work left..... ugh.

Random question - I know the game supports custom soundtracks, but is it possible to set it where it uses songs from your custom soundtrack AND the game's OST, without just switching it back and forth? Im guess no, but thought Id ask.

2.5 hours of work left..... ugh.

Random question - I know the game supports custom soundtracks, but is it possible to set it where it uses songs from your custom soundtrack AND the game's OST, without just switching it back and forth? Im guess no, but thought Id ask.

You can set some event types to use custom soundtracks, and other event types to use the games soundtracktracks. You can't mix both in one event type though.

soultron

Banned
You can set some event types to use custom soundtracks, and other event types to use the games soundtracktracks. You can't mix both in one event type though.

Yeah. I think someone here said they liked the soundtrack enough that they bought their favourite tracks from it to mix into their custom playlists. So there's that option too. :p

Yeah. I think someone here said they liked the soundtrack enough that they bought their favourite tracks from it to mix into their custom playlists. So there's that option too. :p

That's a good idea, Ill have to hit up the iTunes store. Already got a good amount of music already loading so Ill have something good to listen to as I climb these GAF leaderboards!

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That was me. :)

Yeah, I have about 20 songs from the soundtrack with another 20 or so of my own. The remix feature and everything else works perfectly.

I don't want to appear all negative here. World Tour is a glorified tutorial and as far as tutorials go, its pretty damn fun. As far as tracks go, there's plenty of good ones. Serenity is already one of my favorite tracks in the series.

I've only done the first of the 9 deadly descent (plus all the other runs it has you do to prepare for that DD) but I'm already not a fan. Putting tons of shit in my way and then turning out the lights (night only, no option for daytime) isn't my idea of fun in SSX. It wasn't difficult, it just wasn't fun to me. The trick and race tracks it had me do prior were a blast though. I know where the bulk of my time is going to be spent in the game, and it sure as shit isn't going to be on the gimmicky DD tracks.

soultron

Banned
Awesome games is awesome, but ho do I import my own songs to use?

You can set a unique playlist for Race, Trick, and Survive It events, as well as the menu.

Make a playlist including all of the songs you want to use on your PC. Burn them to a CD. Rip the CD to your 360. Then make a playlist on the 360 and save it. (You can do this by selecting the entire CD or adding individual tracks to playlist.)

Then, in SSX, go to music and then you can select any of the playlists on your 360 as the music for the modes.

I'm not a PS3 user so someone else can fill you in on that, I hope!

bryehn

You can set a unique playlist for Race, Trick, and Survive It events, as well as the menu.

Make a playlist including all of the songs you want to use on your PC. Burn them to a CD. Rip the CD to your 360. Then make a playlist on the 360 and save it. (You can do this by selecting the entire CD or adding individual tracks to playlist.)

Then, in SSX, go to music and then you can select any of the playlists on your 360 as the music for the modes.

I'm not a PS3 user so someone else can fill you in on that, I hope!

Oh I see, I thought I could only import/process a set number of songs. So it's using the "harmony" stuff on top of a regular custom soundtrack. Sweet.

Flib

I added myself to the 360 list and will add some of you all, but anyone can add me as well. ID: Dynevor

Loving the game so far!

How NASA topography data brought dose of reality to SSX snowboarding courses

"He was like 'Name any mountain on Earth,' and I was like, 'I don't know, Mount Everest.' So he goes on Wikipedia, gets the latitude and longitude coordinates... and in about 28 seconds, delivered a 3D model of Mount Everest and all the surrounding mountains in that grid from the data. He's like, 'If you give me a couple of days we can take it for a ride...'"

It was a revelation for a team that, up to that point, had been struggling to use procedurally generated 3D noise fields to partially automate the process of creating convincing-looking mountains, with largely unsatisfying results. "We were doing a lot of research of real-life mountains and the mountains themselves we were generating just didn't have any of the kind of personality and unique features of some of the craziest mountains we were seeing that actually exist in the world," Batty told Ars.

But with the ASTER data providing a free, complete, easy-to-convert map of the best snowboarding runs nature had to offer, all that work seemed beside the point. "We thought, 'Wow, are we done?'" Batty recalls.

Top Bottom