• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

soultron

Banned
Blur was legitimately heartbreaking for me :(

It had some neat ideas, from what I played of it. I liked the idea of hard carving by titling the nunchuk, for instance. But I found the waggle Ubers to be hilariously bad.

I never owned the game, however, so I didn't complete it. (I usually just say "I never played it" for this reason.) Playing the demo when I worked at EB games was enough for me. :c

JaseMath

C'mon guys - Blur wasn't that bad. It was actually kind of fun when you learned how to do Ubers. It's the worst SSX for sure, but it wasn't shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Did you play Blur? :p

Got me there. :(

God damn it. Really not sure if I'm looking forward to this game any more. Sounds like it may be much more frustrating than it is fun.

It's really not. I'm predicting the full game will have the same type of reaction as the demo. At first it's a little frustrating but as we get more of a handle on the game and maps, I think a lot of us will fall in love with it.

SkyTurkey

Neo Member
I picked up the game about 2 hours ago but I'm at work. I don't think any of my friends will be playing SSX so I'm looking for others.

Send me a friend request on xbox

Gt = P00NJABBI

(0 = zeroes)

Fixed1979

C'mon guys - Blur wasn't that bad. It was actually kind of fun when you learned how to do Ubers. It's the worst SSX for sure, but it wasn't shit.

No in the grand scheme of SSX it was shit.

I honestly don't remember if it was actually a terrible game, but I do remember playing it and thinking "What the hell is this shit."

God damn it. Really not sure if I'm looking forward to this game any more. Sounds like it may be much more frustrating than it is fun.

As Soul pointed out, you get gear and level up. I did 1:59 on my first attempt with a level 5 Zoe and an upgraded board. But I also ran a great line, which discouraged me. I'll come back to it when I'm leveled up further to see how it goes.

Blur was phenomenal. Anyone hating on it makes me sad.

I make you sad then, because I thought Blur was an utter disaster. It wasn't at all helped by playing with waggle sticks in non-HD.

Wow, SSX has always been about improving your times and scores, but usually that's against friends, I'm surprised to see them have it so low. Is it possible that unlockables will allow us to reach significantly lower times and that's the reason for the discrepancy?
Wait, so having challenging developer-set ghosts is a bad thing? You can always choose to ignore the developer ghosts and compete only against your friends, but having that extra really fast ghost is only a helpful tool when looking for ways to improve. Don't see how it's a negative.

Unless there's some psychological feeling that if you don't beat the preset times in a game you instantly suck and can't enjoy it?

I make you sad then, because I thought Blur was an utter disaster. It wasn't at all helped by playing with waggle sticks in non-HD.
What does HD have to do with anything. I mean, unless it's absolutely crucial to have that much detail shown to successfully make a specific turn (which no game has gotten to that point) then why should it matter?

You're response will probably be "I only said it doesn't help." That's true I suppose. But it 100% doesn't hurt the quality of the quality of the actual game part of the product.

By the way, the back of the PS3 box says:

content exclusive until 8/29/12 in reference to Mt Fuji.

If you're reading this thread, EA.
GO FUCK YOURSELVES

soultron

Banned
By the way, the back of the PS3 box says:

content exclusive until 8/29/12 in reference to Mt Fuji.

If you're reading this thread, EA.
GO FUCK YOURSELVES

I couldn't care less. I just hope it's free for XBOX users that have the online pass. Gives me something to look forward to in 6 months. I'm still going to be playing then. :p

Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the developer's choice. (They're the ones reading this thread, not EA marketing/publishing, I'm sure.) Sony's American arm probably wanted to make that happen in NA.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I remember Soultron saying he would ask or look into it but I don't recall seeing anything posted so I'll ask again.

Is Eddie able to be unlocked at any point in the game, or is he strictly gamestop?

I couldn't care less. I just hope it's free for XBOX users that have the online pass. Gives me something to look forward to in 6 months. I'm still going to be playing then. :p

Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the developer's choice. Sony probably wanted to make that happen in NA.

I'd bet you that it 100 percent was NOT the developer's decision. It was EA. I dont take issue with the devs on this.

My damn ghosts are mocking me now. In the demo I never had to face the ghost of my best time, and now there he is, seemingly always just out of reach. BOOOO ME.

soultron

Banned
I remember Soultron saying he would ask or look into it but I don't recall seeing anything posted so I'll ask again.

Is Eddie able to be unlocked at any point in the game, or is he strictly gamestop?

I did ask the PR contact I was provided and he said he couldn't talk about it. I was expecting that though, so I wasn't shocked or anything.

Wait, so if it was exclusive forever you would be happy? Even though neither way really affects you in the slightest?

No, the fact that it's a timed exclusive for the first part and secondly it wont be available to US residents playing on the 360 for another 6 months. They're charging me the same price they're charging PS3 owners, FOR LESS CONTENT. So yeah, you can get mad that I'm mad about it, but fuck EA. And on top of that the devs went out of their way to avoid all talk of Eddie and Mt Fuji prior to release. Instead of being open and honest about the screwing they were about to give 360 owners, they simply snowboarded around it. Most likely at the behest of EA Corporate. This is why it's so easy to go the used/rental game route with EA games. They make me feel no compassion or sympathy for the devs when they adopt such an anti-gamer stance. /rantover.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They're reading this thread, don't worry. I made sure to send it to them so they could get community feedback.

I'm going to argue your recommendation of getting rid of the trick bank, however. It's very important for Trick It players to not only see their combo (and their most recent trick) but seeing the current trick -- while in progress -- is also important so that you can avoid duplicates. This also matters in Race It where you want to maximise your boost earned from tricks, again making duplicate tricks an important thing to avoid.

It's just like how you need to see the >>>chevrons<<< to know when to trick so that you don't lose your TRICKY state.

I want a HUD-less option just for cruising/free riding, but now, after having spent dozens of hours with the game, the HUD is a serious necessity for any sort of competitive play, in my opinion.

Just as you want an option to go hud less for fun riding, I think people want to be able to customize what they add/remove.

I know the trick bank helps with preventing duplicates, but showing the immediately previous trick is sufficient, we don't need the past 3-5 and the current one.

But there are quite a few other HUD elements which could go. In the end the point is to let us see what we want to see, regardless of whether it will hinder performance or not.

Thanks for passing it along.

Ketch

Haven't read the whole thread, so maybe this has already been asked (or maybe it's a dumb question anyway), but there's like no chance this is ever going to come to PC right?

Fixed1979

Wait, so having challenging developer-set ghosts is a bad thing? You can always choose to ignore the developer ghosts and compete only against your friends, but having that extra really fast ghost is only a helpful tool when looking for ways to improve. Don't see how it's a negative.

Unless there's some psychological feeling that if you don't beat the preset times in a game you instantly suck and can't enjoy it?

??? Whoa there cowboy. I didn't say it was a bad thing, I was just surprised by it, if I remember correctly obtaining golds and first place in old SSX games was exceptionally easy. That being said if unreasonable goals are set that prevent player advancement then that's a negative...I'm sure that's not what's going on here though.

JambiBum

??? Whoa there cowboy. I didn't say it was a bad thing, I was just surprised by it, if I remember correctly obtaining golds and first place in old SSX games was exceptionally easy. That being said if unreasonable goals are set that prevent player advancement then that's a negative...I'm sure that's not what's going on here though.

Once you get your equipment and rider leveled up, obtaining golds isn't that difficult. Some drops are a lot more difficult than others. You can't just jump right in and get gold though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So yeah, I've put about 8 straight hours into this game so far. I have my complaints but obviously this game does something right.

Global events are a lot of fun. Can't wait until we organize a GAF event.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hopefully they release Mt. Fuji for free to us Xbox users, and hopefully I still want to play SSX in 6 months :p

LoL, EA will likely charge for that shit. Or at the very least bundle it with whatever content DLC they may have in the works for 8/29/12 to release on all platforms.

krpiper

what does the online pass lock away?

you wont earn anything for globals

So far I did/am doing 2 Global Events

I got Gold on a race in the rockies and am currently at plat with the rockies DD survive it one. The leader has 23k meters, I have just over 7k haha

Got it for 360 at lunch and played until the first DD.. PUKE...I loved the demo so I am sure I will like or love the game but that DD was pretty bad. And again I am missing the RESET button! Too many places to get easily stuck to not have it.

And to any average to above average players that would like some EASY(lol) competition add 360 GT:a11iance4g63

Stat!

Part of me is still 50/50 on deciding on this game. Lots of mixed emotions. Kinda lame without any true race and knocking out your opponent.

The other thing is my skill level and friends. None of my friends are getting this and I don't want to go against times where I'm going to get crushed repeatedly too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Part of me is still 50/50 on deciding on this game. Lots of mixed emotions. Kinda lame without any true race and knocking out your opponent.

Same. Unsure if I will purchase yet.

I do miss the full grid of racers, and I was kind of hoping for an SSX3 style exploration mode. Being completely tied to the Ridernet interface makes for great leaderboard competition, but with everything segregated and gated to a leaderboard interface, it kinda loses appeal.

lush

Got it after I finished up class, installed it and now I have to go to work. Will play the hell out of it tonight. Damn you people that are currently playing it.

GT: Stereolab

Totally just spent 900k credits by accident. Don't go into expensive global events and then back out :(

If you back out before you start the event its supposed to refund your credits back to you. Happened to me a few times already, had to back out because I didn't have a lvl 10 character with 2 equipment slots. Game refunded my credits

njean777

No, the fact that it's a timed exclusive for the first part and secondly it wont be available to US residents playing on the 360 for another 6 months. They're charging me the same price they're charging PS3 owners, FOR LESS CONTENT. So yeah, you can get mad that I'm mad about it, but fuck EA. And on top of that the devs went out of their way to avoid all talk of Eddie and Mt Fuji prior to release. Instead of being open and honest about the screwing they were about to give 360 owners, they simply snowboarded around it. Most likely at the behest of EA Corporate. This is why it's so easy to go the used/rental game route with EA games. They make me feel no compassion or sympathy for the devs when they adopt such an anti-gamer stance. /rantover.

Been happening to ps3 gamers from the start of this gen, I know that feeling bro :(

JambiBum

If you back out before you start the event its supposed to refund your credits back to you. Happened to me a few times already, had to back out because I didn't have a lvl 10 character with 2 equipment slots. Game refunded my credits

It didn't :(. But, I'm in an event now and in the diamond bracket with 15 minutes left. Payout is 1.5 mil.

JaseMath

This argument isn't exclusive to EA or SSX. Shit like this has been happening all generation and it's not going to change as long as it's adding 0's to the bottom line. It sucks, sure, but this is the brave new world of the retail market.

Top Bottom