• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Bury

Neo Member
Now I feel sad. I wanted to get this game today but I'm cutting it REALLY close this month and I have stupid bills to pay, and since I was sick my paycheck for next week is going to be next to nothing and Tales of Graces F is coming out on the 13th. I'm sorry SSX, I probably won't be getting you until the end of march ;_;

soultron

Banned
So to what extent can we customize the HUD? As in remove items? Soultron, can you go over it?

You cannot customize it as of right now, but the developers have publicly acknowledged the desire for a HUD-less mode and are considering updating the game with an option for that.

Two Deadly Descents down, 7 to go. Just did Patagonia, which emphasizes the wingsuit, an addition to the series that I won't be upset to see never make another appearance. Seriously, get these gimmicks out of my SSX game. I'm starting to see very clearly why this game is polarizing reviewers.

soultron

Banned
Two Deadly Descents down, 7 to go. Just did Patagonia, which emphasizes the wingsuit, an addition to the series that I won't be upset to see never make another appearance. Seriously, get these gimmicks out of my SSX game. I'm starting to see very clearly why this game is polarizing reviewers.

I loved Patagonia, personally. The snow at the top of the kickers made it really exciting for me.

rukland

Wish I was playing this but since the game is being treated as a late birthday present I have to wait for the wife to get home and bring the game with her. Some days being married to a flight attendant sucks :p

AndyD

aka andydumi
You cannot customize it as of right now, but the developers have publicly acknowledged the desire for a HUD-less mode and are considering updating the game with an option for that.

I was hoping the lack of options in the demo was just a demo thing. Well, tell them we also want to remove individual items, not just all on/off.

I would love to remove the list of past tricks, and also the current trick (have it appear when finished only) and some of the other items.

I loved Patagonia, personally. The snow at the top of the kickers made it really exciting for me.

I don't mind the area, I hate the wingsuit. It does nothing for me or for the game, to be honest. The only issue I have with Patagonia is how there's large areas of the track where it just disappears into nothing. My opinion probably differs greatly from yours and many others, but I want to be concerned with my line and getting a good speed or trick score, not worrying about whether or not the ground is about to disappear in front of me and all that work I just did is for naught.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't mind the area, I hate the wingsuit. It does nothing for me or for the game, to be honest. The only issue I have with Patagonia is how there's large areas of the track where it just disappears into nothing. My opinion probably differs greatly from yours and many others, but I want to be concerned with my line and getting a good speed or trick score, not worrying about whether or not the ground is about to disappear in front of me and all that work I just did is for naught.

You're gonna love Africa.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Picked it up :D

I just hope the online component won't be moot for me b/c I don't have tons of time to pour into it, just wanna mess around with SSX on weekends like back in high school/college :D :D

soultron

Banned
I was hoping the lack of options in the demo was just a demo thing. Well, tell them we also want to remove individual items, not just all on/off.

I would love to remove the list of past tricks, and also the current trick (have it appear when finished only) and some of the other items.

They're reading this thread, don't worry. I made sure to send it to them so they could get community feedback.

I'm going to argue your recommendation of getting rid of the trick bank, however. It's very important for Trick It players to not only see their combo (and their most recent trick) but seeing the current trick -- while in progress -- is also important so that you can avoid duplicates. This also matters in Race It where you want to maximise your boost earned from tricks, again making duplicate tricks an important thing to avoid.

It's just like how you need to see the >>>chevrons<<< to know when to trick so that you don't lose your TRICKY state.

I want a HUD-less option just for cruising/free riding, but now, after having spent dozens of hours with the game, the HUD is a serious necessity for any sort of competitive play, in my opinion.

D6AMIA6N

Cancelled my order based on the criticism I've read here and elsewhere. Sad to hear the game is continuing the downward trend of the series since SSX 3.

soultron

Banned

I was speaking about the DD, specifically. :p

Patagonia, as a whole, felt like holding onto the wing of a fighter jet in flight. The runs there are the steepest in the game and I loved them because of the sense of speed they create because of this. You'll have figured out the ideal lines on repeat visits to the same runs, I feel. It's easy to avoid pitfalls or track edges there when you've been through them a few times.

I can totally understand being frustrated with your first go or not enjoying the runs in certain areas, I get that.

If you had to give a ratio of trick-it and race-it against DD what would we be looking at. I'm hoping for no more than 80/20...

It depends on the region you're in when playing World Tour. Most consist of the following, in this order:

Intro track where you challenge and beat a member of Team SSX to unlock them.
3 events, an assortment of race and trick events.
A Griff challenge track where you face him directly or a ghost data "training run" version of him.
Deadly Descent.

In Explore and Global Events, there's the 9 DDs and several back country runs that aren't even featured in World Tour. You're not going to like these runs if you don't enjoy the Deadly Descents stuff, putting it bluntly. But if you're properly geared and/or just love a challenge, they're amazing. A bunch of us were playing a really tough back country Race It run last night using the wingsuit (but limited it to level 3 gear because Jambi and I were both low level) and it was hilarious because some of us were clocking 6 minute times do to falling into pits so much; but then you'd go for it again, log a 3 minute time because you knew the course better and would have a great time of it. I thought it was genious.

As involved as I have been, I totally glossed over the inclusion of back country runs and now I'm super excited to spend time in Explore finding them and dominating on them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Thank God for awesome regions like New Zealand, the Himalayas, Alaska, the Alps and Siberia. Certain other places (AFRICA!) make me want to punch kittens.

I don't want to appear all negative here. World Tour is a glorified tutorial and as far as tutorials go, its pretty damn fun. As far as tracks go, there's plenty of good ones. Serenity is already one of my favorite tracks in the series.
Which racing game or extreme sports game has a story mode that isn't a glorified demo? I can think maybe something like THUG but even that's just a big throw-on story. The big appeal of these genres is improving your runs.

You can still have several lines to take even if some of the mountain "disappears." It just makes it more challenging to find the best line. I can see arguments for and against it, but ultimately everyone has their own opinion. The game seems to do a good job at catering towards the type of stuff everyone likes. If you don't like that style of racing/tricking then I'm sure there are several other drops that do fit your mold.

Codeblew

I hope they also add an option to disable the rewind button if they haven't already. Was annoying accidentally hitting it in the demo. Especially since I want to play without using it at all.

soultron

Banned
Which racing game or extreme sports game has a story mode that isn't a glorified demo? I can think maybe something like THUG but even that's just a big throw-on story. The big appeal of these genres is improving your runs.

You can still have several lines to take even if some of the mountain "disappears." It just makes it more challenging to find the best line. I can see arguments for and against it, but ultimately everyone has their own opinion. The game seems to do a good job at catering towards the type of stuff everyone likes. If you don't like that style of racing/tricking then I'm sure there are several other drops that do fit your mold.

Yeah, some of the best runs for stuff like Race It or Trick It -- from what I've seen -- are completely pit-free. Serenity, for instance, which is the longest run in the game, is an incredible track for Trick It. My favourite Race It track (so far, haven't even done all the runs yet since I've spent most of my time in World Tour), Rolling Thunder in Antarctica, is also pit-free.

I hope they also add an option to disable the rewind button if they haven't already. Was annoying accidentally hitting it in the demo. Especially since I want to play without using it at all.

Just don't use it then. The developers aren't responsible for you accidentally hitting it.

Also, you can set your custom Global Events so that rewind is disabled.

Curufinwe

So I read the EDGE review and while I got it, I feel that they found the game to be super difficult and slammed the game for something that's such a small portion of this game. The comment about Super TRICKY being "hard-earned and fleeting" was kind of telling of their reviewer's skill level and I think this is why they found the Deadly Descents tracks to be a major flaw.

So true. I get Super TRICKY after the first two jumps on Bulldog on the demo (taking the right side line), and I'm not some pro SSX player.

Salaadin

Just picked up the PS3 version, hoping I dont run into some of the complaints Im seeing.
Im soooo hyped to have a new SSX game. This was a long time coming. 4 hours until I go home!

JambiBum

Yeah, some of the best runs for stuff like Race It or Trick It -- from what I've seen -- are completely pit-free. Serenity, for instance, which is the longest run in the game, is an incredible track for Trick It. My favourite Race It track (so far, haven't even done all the runs yet since I've spent most of my time in World Tour), Rolling Thunder in Antarctica, is also pit-free.

Just got 3.29 on Serenity. Took me forever. Feelsgoodman.jpg.

For you folks that thought the game was too hard based on the Gold time set in the demo race-track, you're not gonna like this. In the demo Gold is achieved with a time of about 2:13. In the full game it's 1:57.

Fixed1979

It depends on the region you're in when playing World Tour. Most consist of the following, in this order:

Intro track where you challenge and beat a member of Team SSX to unlock them.
3 events, an assortment of race and trick events.
A Griff challenge track where you face him directly or a ghost data "training run" version of him.
Deadly Descent.

In Explore and Global Events, there's the 9 DDs and several back country runs that aren't even featured in World Tour. You're not going to like these runs if you don't enjoy the Deadly Descents stuff, putting it bluntly. But if you're properly geared and/or just love a challenge, they're amazing. A bunch of us were playing a really tough back country Race It run last night using the wingsuit (but limited it to level 3 gear because Jambi and I were both low level) and it was hilarious because some of us were clocking 6 minute times do to falling into pits so much; but then you'd go for it again, log a 3 minute time because you knew the course better and would have a great time of it. I thought it was genious.

As involved as I have been, I totally glossed over the inclusion of back country runs and now I'm super excited to spend time in Explore finding them and dominating on them.

Thanks! If they keep it somewhat separated from the base game (which it sounds like they have) then it may not be so bad, this certainly eased my concerns a bit. Who knows it's possible that I might enjoy this part of the game as an occasional diversion...I'm just very leery.

For you folks that thought the game was too hard based on the Gold time set in the demo race-track, you're not gonna like this. In the demo Gold is achieved with a time of about 2:13. In the full game it's 1:57.

Wow, SSX has always been about improving your times and scores, but usually that's against friends, I'm surprised to see them have it so low. Is it possible that unlockables will allow us to reach significantly lower times and that's the reason for the discrepancy?

D6AMIA6N

I am glad to hear that most if, not all of you, are enjoying the game. For me, I would have gladly paid for a HD remake of SSX 3. I simply don't have enough time for games, let alone games I need to "try" to like.

I guess that's balanced by having access to faster gear?

Im actually really worried about how the gear stuff is going to throw the balance of the game out of the window. It seems like the demo was so competitive because everyone was on the same level in terms of character and speed. It seems like there are so many variables in the full game that getting a fast run could be more down to the equipment you use than the gameplay. :/

JambiBum

You have to remember that the new times are set with the upgrades accounted for, unlike in the demo.

Curufinwe

I got to 1:59 with Zoe so I'm sure I can get that down a few more seconds using another character and different equipment.

soultron

Banned

This is because in the full game you can play with level 10 characters, mods (you get two mod slots at level 7), and level 10 gear. :p

Tiktaalik

You actually get an achievement for beating this deadly descent without using the wingsuit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCxJA0so7bc). Personally I had some of the most amount of fun with the game trying to do this. It's not your traditional SSX level that's for sure, but I enjoyed the challenge.

red731

It's shuffled
for maximum emergent in-game emotion enhancement. SO PROGRESSIVE!

Yaaaaaay!

tumblr_l49g9i2ew61qamgw7.gif

God damn it. Really not sure if I'm looking forward to this game any more. Sounds like it may be much more frustrating than it is fun.

red731

God damn it. Really not sure if I'm looking forward to this game any more. Sounds like it may be much more frustrating than it is fun.

Dont turn yo back so quickly!

In demo there were lvl 4 chars. Imagine maxed boards and stuff for max boost, speed, etc!

This is because in the full game you can play with level 10 characters, mods (you get two mod slots at level 7), and level 10 gear. :p

Top Bottom