• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

DonMigs85

Just got my region 3 copy, but question: Is the online pass region-locked? I have a Hong Kong PS account but my primary gaming account is for the US.

red731

Czech review - konzole.hrej.cz - score 7

"SSX returned in relatively strong shape. The developers were not afraid to incorporate several new game changes, but at the same time remained faithful to the original vision. However, the entertainment portion of the game is spoiled by several things such as weaker graphics or missing split-screen. "

And I dont agree with them. HA!
..maybe a little about the splitscreen, but I am long time over it..

red731

Is there a list of PS3 SSX GAF players anywhere?

I wanna start a rivalry friends list.

Read the the first page? Scroll down and you will see it...

Since I have time I will help you directly - Da ps3 brah list

Isss.....it....Friday...yettt??

Frozen%20Cartman.jpg

Eurogamer review: 9.

"EA Canada has effortlessly married the score-attack DNA of arcade gaming's earliest days with some of the most interesting and exciting multiplayer design seen in the past few years. A towering achievement then, as tall as the mountains it so diligently reconstructs."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Custom soundtrack worked out better than I imagined.

Damn it feels good not to be on the same two drops anymore.

glaurung

EDGE review pointed out the exact problems that I perceived when playing the demo and watching the videos.

Will now wait for the drop to below 25 euros.

JambiBum

EDGE review pointed out the exact problems that I perceived when playing the demo and watching the videos.

Will now wait for the drop to below 25 euros.

What exactly are your problems? Because from every other review and mostly everyone's impressions everyone else seems to love it.

glaurung

What exactly are your problems? Because from every other review and mostly everyone's impressions everyone else seems to love it.
Here are some quick quotes from the review with my comments.
EDGE SSX Review said:
challenges that involve the likes of oxygen meters, wingsuits and ice picks. Such inconsistent variables dilute the series’ simple thrills as often as they enhance them. Headlamp-based runs in the dark are particularly frustrating, because your spins and tricks disorient your field of view.
When the game was revealed as Deadly Descents, most people felt betrayed (as did I). They realized that the direction was wrong and they retooled the game... a whole lot. But obviously it broke their heart to throw out some ideas that looked good on paper. So they left those in. Are those events appropriate for the SSX universe? I say they aren't.
EDGE SSX Review said:
...it (the rewind mechanic) feels like a concession to stages that are too unpredictable to conquer first time out the gate and too sprawling to memorise. All too often, you’ll plunge unavoidably to your death and be forced to rewind with icy-grave-given hindsight. It neuters the thrill of reading the slopes, of feeling your way along the ridges and speedily changing your tack on the fly. It gives the track designers an excuse to be cruel...
Some of the tracks in SSX 3 and in On Tour were excruciatingly difficult. They took time to learn - to master. But here you have the instant rewind button like a godsend. I dislike games that use the rewind mechanic as a ploy to make the game easier in the face of replayability.

There are other nuances to the review that merit analysis, but the most glaring conclusion for me is this: SSX is not the SSX fans deserve. They veered insanely far from the original and when the pendulum of interweb backlash hit them in the back of the head, they were not able to restore the essence to the soiled product.

Playing SSX On Tour that was just released on PSN is like living a dream. Tonight I will set up my trusty PS2 and pop in SSX 3. Just for fun, not for RiderNet bullcrap penis pokery.

Cday

Banned
I'm very cautious of that EDGE review. Apparently hard to achieve Super Tricky? They must be awful at it.

He also complains that the game is too punishing and that you need to learn the tracks, then proceeds to complain that the rewind feature removes the need to learn the tracks.

If anything it helps you learn the track without an incessant amount of trial and error.

Nyx

I'm very cautious of that EDGE review. Apparently hard to achieve Super Tricky? They must be awful at it.

Same here, and what about their comments on the rewind button being the most damaging new addition to the game ?

You could just not use it ?
Surely it will be frustrating to do some of those Survive-it courses all over again after falling into a ravine or something, but I’ll gladly do that instead of using the rewind-button.

Wessiej

The rewinbutton is good, because they will break you score and the time continues. So you won't use it like in Forza or something.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Some of the tracks in SSX 3 and in On Tour were excruciatingly difficult. They took time to learn - to master. But here you have the instant rewind button like a godsend. I dislike games that use the rewind mechanic as a ploy to make the game easier in the face of replayability.

I've been playing the Patagonia region for 15 minutes and I can tell you, these tracks are not easy and rewind is not a win button.

I'm not going to nitpick any reviews though. Everyone's played the demo so you know what you're getting here.

JambiBum

First off, the Deadly Descents are a tiny fraction of the game. There are 9 of them and the large majority of tracks aren't even built around them. I think they add a interesting new gameplay mechanic to SSX. The only one I don't particularly care for is the oxygen one, because that one forces you to use the oxygen tanks as far as I can tell.

As for the rewind feature, you don't even have to use it. It's optional. If you do use it, there is a penalty for doing so. You want to get down a mountain without using it.

It's obvious that you already had your mind made up and you found the review that reiterated your opinion the most.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is probably a dumb question, but does the Amazon bonus ("Mac's elite board with boost") really have an advantage over any in-game stuff, or is it just cosmetic? I really don't pay much attention to bonus content when I buy games, but I just got the e-mail from Amazon about it.

JambiBum

This is probably a dumb question, but does the Amazon bonus ("Mac's elite board with boost") really have an advantage over any in-game stuff, or is it just cosmetic? I really don't pay much attention to bonus content when I buy games, but I just got the e-mail from Amazon about it.

You get a lot better boards after leveling up a couple of times. Those boards are nice starting boards though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It's so strange seeing a game with such a disparity in review scores from site to site. Scores ranging from 9 to around 7.

And then you have edge with their 5
KuGsj.gif
... OooooKkkk...

Cday

Banned
It's so strange seeing a game with such a disparity in review scores from site to site. Scores ranging from 9 to around 7.

And then you have edge with their 5
KuGsj.gif
... OooooKkkk...

That's typical of Edge. I think it's to be expected that a game like this will get widely varying scores even if it's really good it just isn't for everyone.

I really don't pay much attention to bonus content when I buy games, but I just got the e-mail from Amazon about it.

They're almost always useless fluff so good on ya.

Eurogamer said:
It would be easy to dismiss the satellite technology that went into designing the game's 150-odd courses as a mere gimmick.

This is a mistake right? The game doesn't actually have 150 "courses", but 150 "drops", which also counts the same drop multiple times if you can trick it/race it?

Drewfonse

Pretty good scores, but a 5 hour World Tour mode(according to Gametrailers)? As a primarily SP gamer, I'll wait a bit for this one.

Pretty good scores, but a 5 hour World Tour mode(according to Gametrailers)? As a primarily SP gamer, I'll wait a bit for this one.

Because everyone goes into a snowboarding game with high story expectations.

Maybe you should pick it up for the Explore mode, or races, or trick competitions. You don't even play multiplayer against other people, you play it against their best times or trick runs. There's a ridiculous amount of content in this game and you're going to pass it up because of a "5 hour World Tour"?

Really? REALLY?

xwCHd.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok. So I just personally checked both demos back to back for you. Literally had them both loaded up and flipped between the inputs on my low input lag tv. Same event, same character.

Both versions have a dead zone on the left stick, but it is smaller on the 360 version. It's possible this was done to compensate for the PS3 sticks larger travel. Maybe the developer can comment to clarify the reasoning.

Regardless, you now have your answer on the 360 version.

Edit: You know what? Upon further examination I'm going to say the 360 version basically has no dead zone. This should be interesting. :p

Thanks for checking!

While your theory about the reason for this might very well be correct, it sounds like a pretty bad solution to me. They should have reworked the controls to work optimally with the DS3 sticks and their range of motion (and/or sensitivity/accuracy), not just copy-pasted them over from the 360 controller and introduced a deadzone to compensate (if that's really what they've done).

Removing the deadzone, thus making the stick input less sensitive overall (and also removing the sense of input lag that might result from a large deadzone) would have made the PS3 controls feel better, I'm sure.

Seems like the reviewers that hate it say the same thing, "It's too hard." For those that have the game, how prevalent are the tracks with large areas of terrain that insta-kill you? I assumed most of the game was predominantly mountains without that kind of terrain. The Nowgamer review became irrelevant to me after about their 5th joke about the game becoming COD.

krpiper

Because everyone goes into a snowboarding game with high story expectations.

Maybe you should pick it up for the Explore mode, or races, or trick competitions. You don't even play multiplayer against other people, you play it against their best times or trick runs. There's a ridiculous amount of content in this game and you're going to pass it up because of a "5 hour World Tour"?

Really? REALLY?

xwCHd.jpg

I agree with this guy,

you never feel compelled to go back and try ad improve your times?

Fixed1979

Here are some quick quotes from the review with my comments.When the game was revealed as Deadly Descents, most people felt betrayed (as did I). They realized that the direction was wrong and they retooled the game... a whole lot. But obviously it broke their heart to throw out some ideas that looked good on paper. So they left those in. Are those events appropriate for the SSX universe? I say they aren't.Some of the tracks in SSX 3 and in On Tour were excruciatingly difficult. They took time to learn - to master. But here you have the instant rewind button like a godsend. I dislike games that use the rewind mechanic as a ploy to make the game easier in the face of replayability.

There are other nuances to the review that merit analysis, but the most glaring conclusion for me is this: SSX is not the SSX fans deserve. They veered insanely far from the original and when the pendulum of interweb backlash hit them in the back of the head, they were not able to restore the essence to the soiled product.

Playing SSX On Tour that was just released on PSN is like living a dream. Tonight I will set up my trusty PS2 and pop in SSX 3. Just for fun, not for RiderNet bullcrap penis pokery.

While I'm one of the biggest anti-rewind activists for any game, SSX has always had a a quick reset button that didn't cause any sort of penalty.

I still haven't played the full version put I fully expect the DD to feel like an unnecessary add-on, I can't disagree with any of the other points you've listed here. I wish I could read the full review from work.

Cartman86

Banned
Ahhh dammit. Didn't realize that the 360 still doesn't let you copy files from a USB stick (or anything really). PS3 has spoiled me. Time to rip these 100 songs I wanted for this game. Oh joy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Seems like the reviewers that hate it say the same thing, "It's too hard." For those that have the game, how prevalent are the tracks with large areas of terrain that insta-kill you? I assumed most of the game was predominantly mountains without that kind of terrain. The Nowgamer review became irrelevant to me after about their 5th joke about the game becoming COD.

It happens enough that I can understand the complaint. Nothing like getting big air off a nice ramp just to land in a bottomless hole.

JambiBum

Most of the game doesn't have instakill terrain. There are some mountains where you can fall off the sides and such but you don't need to worry with the majority of them. I'd say probably one or two drops per mountain have instakill areas at the most.

It happens enough that I can understand the complaint. Nothing like getting big air off a nice ramp just to land in a bottomless hole.

Alright, that just sucks imo. I expected that in at most 9 tracks (deadly descents), but I don't want that shit in normal race/trick tracks. I want the penalty for a bad line to be a bad time, not death.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Alright, that just sucks imo. I expected that in at most 9 tracks (deadly descents), but I don't want that shit in normal race/trick tracks. I want the penalty for a bad line to be a bad time, not death.

So far Antarctica and Africa are the main offenders in that area. It doesn't happen in the other regions I've played. Well, in Patagonia, it's kind of the point with the wingsuits and all.

Top Bottom