• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

In this day and age, buying a game used or renting is basically saying, "I do not want more of this series." That's not any of your fault but that is the the unfortunate reality today.

I understand you're outraged, but it's two pieces of content that you're going to get down the line anyway. (I'm going to assume this.) And it's two pieces of content that only ruins your game experience if you choose to dwell on it and stress about it.

Maybe signing timed exclusivity deals with Sony and offering pre-order exclusives for retail partners are what made certain features in this game possible or better because of the funds afforded to them. I'd call them a necessary evil, for that reason.

My problem is that EA is lazy. There's definitely ways you can entice people to buy new that actually rewards the new-game buyer. Instead they choose the lazy approach, which also happens to be completely anti-gamer.

Are all pre-release OTs this circle-jerky? I usually never follow any of them but SSX (1/Tricky/3) is one of my top 3 or so favorite series' of all time so I wanted to see how this new 'reboot' attempts to compare to those games, but I've yet to see this soultron guy accept any other issues that anybody else as legit and just says 'well your wrong because I love this game I got for free.' fuck man it's comical at this point, if I ever bought this used I sure hope the rest of community isn't all like that guy.

That's really unnecessary. Soul has a love for this series that's cool to see. He's more accepting of issues than I am, but that's just because he's a bigger fan and he's able to overlook (or simply isnt bothered by) things that bother me. He's not sitting there telling me my opinions are wrong, or anyone else's opinions. He corrects people when what they state is incorrect, and has ties to development when people have questions that he can't answer. I'd hardly call that a circle-jerk. Coming into a thread that you clearly haven't read all of (otherwise you wouldnt have made that idiotic assertion) and casting aspersions on Soul makes you look like a fool.

soultron

Banned
Are all pre-release OTs this circle-jerky? I usually never follow any of them but SSX (1/Tricky/3) is one of my top 3 or so favorite series' of all time so I wanted to see how this new 'reboot' attempts to compare to those games, but I've yet to see this soultron guy accept any other issues that anybody else as legit and just says 'well your wrong because I love this game I got for free.' fuck man it's comical at this point, if I ever bought this used I sure hope the rest of community isn't all like that guy.

Why not address me directly?

Here's some things:
1) I paid for the game last summer when I pre-ordered it. I found out I was getting it for free last week.
2) I've never once said to anyone "you're wrong." I have, however, debated criticisms and/or corrected blatant misinformation/speculation. I've never once claimed that because someone has had a criticism that they're a lesser fan or not as passionate about SSX as I am.
3) I've accepted a lot of things that are questionable about this game, like the lack of voice chat on PS3. Yeah, even the lack of split screen sucks for people who really enjoy that.

And thanks for taking my quote about buying games used completely out of context. If you're buying used/bargain bin as a retaliatory act protesting things like pre-order bonuses, or you just don't know how the industry works today, yeah, you shouldn't be upset if you never see a game of franchise X again.

First person to message me can have my Amazon code for Mac. He's not a character I'll use much.

edit: Actually, I might not be around to check my mail. First to redeem it gets it.

W4QTW-JYK64-C2W3F-24MCC-K9HQZ

Teknoman

Circle-jerky? Alot of people found the demo to be fun as hell, as well as the retail version on it's release. Also some issues people complain about, others might think are no problem at all, and vice versa.

Hell just look at ANY OT...they are usually pretty balanced on both (all) sides. Monster Hunter Tri had people praising the game from all sides, others complaining about the controls / difficulty, and some defending it to their utmost ability while others conceded that some sections might need improvement, while others are essential elements of the game.

Let's get our tinfoil and make some sweet hats! :p

Was there a pre-order deal? I remember reading people post about a $10 credit.

10 dollars plus a code for Mac's level 6 board. The demand must be pretty good since the amount of money they're paying for a used copy just doubled as well.

Teknoman

Let's get our tinfoil and make some sweet hats! :p

Was there a pre-order deal? I remember reading people post about a $10 credit.

$10 credit + Mt. Fuji and release day shipping sealed the deal for me.

There was a level 6 Mac elite snowboard redeem code...but i'm not sure if i'll be using that if its something that will put me at too much of an advantage early on.

I've got no doubt that the game is designed in such a way as to create difficulty, but it's just so far removed from anything resembling the act of snowboarding.

agreed. SSX 3 did it way better. Not talking about the crazy moves, but just the feel of carving, and especially on different surfaces such as groomed snow, powder or ice. It all felt different. This new SSX feels way more floaty with the controls.

I've played through several of the mountains in the world tour and I'm really digging it.

Sadly though, I've no friends in my RiderNet thingamajig. So if anyone is wanting some more SSX playing Live friends, feel free to add me. Same name as my Gaf one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
agreed. SSX 3 did it way better. Not talking about the crazy moves, but just the feel of carving, and especially on different surfaces such as groomed snow, powder or ice. It all felt different. This new SSX feels way more floaty with the controls.

This is true from the demo at least. The feel on the snow and the ice lake above the dam was the same, or too much the same. I remember in SSX3 you actually slid a lot on the ice and slowed a lot on deep snow. The various surfaces really made you think of how to play and take a route down the mountain.

Kud Dukan

Well I've played for a few hours today and so far I'm very pleased with everything. I've stuck to the World Tour right now, and I'll probably finish that up before I move on to the rest. There were a few instances where I was irritated by the instant death areas in some of the drops, especially when there was no way of knowing it was coming when coming off a jump, but once I remembered where those places were it was fairly easy to avoid them.

LaneDS

Bestbuy.com backordered on both systems for online orders too. Either it's doing very well or it was way undershipped. Haven't seen a launch game sold out on Amazon for a very long time.

Debating whether I pick up the game today after work or get one via my pal who works for EA, which involves waiting.

This is true from the demo at least. The feel on the snow and the ice lake above the dam was the same, or too much the same. I remember in SSX3 you actually slid a lot on the ice and slowed a lot on deep snow. The various surfaces really made you think of how to play and take a route down the mountain.

There appears to be different brands of ice in the game. The kind you're describing doesnt really act like ice, but the other kind of ice that requires an ice-axe does behave how you'd hope all ice in the game did. It's odd that they'd do it this way.

Big props to them on how fast this thing loads. From starting the game on 360 to playing in a race takes about 10-15 seconds. My game is installed.

Tokubetsu

Getting the custom soundtrack working was worth to bomb tracks to this:
http://youtu.be/EB7bmQg6m3Q

I love the effect when you've got tricks going and land and it does that boom wave thing on the ground.

There appears to be different brands of ice in the game. The kind you're describing doesnt really act like ice, but the other kind of ice that requires an ice-axe does behave how you'd hope all ice in the game did. It's odd that they'd do it this way.

Big props to them on how fast this thing loads. From starting the game on 360 to playing in a race takes about 10-15 seconds. My game is installed.

How big is the 360 install?

Fixed1979

Why not address me directly?

Here's some things:
1) I paid for the game last summer when I pre-ordered it. I found out I was getting it for free last week.
2) I've never once said to anyone "you're wrong." I have, however, debated criticisms and/or corrected blatant misinformation/speculation. I've never once claimed that because someone has had a criticism that they're a lesser fan or not as passionate about SSX as I am.
3) I've accepted a lot of things that are questionable about this game, like the lack of voice chat on PS3. Yeah, even the lack of split screen sucks for people who really enjoy that.

And thanks for taking my quote about buying games used completely out of context. If you're buying used/bargain bin as a retaliatory act protesting things like pre-order bonuses, or you just don't know how the industry works today, yeah, you shouldn't be upset if you never see a game of franchise X again.

It wasn't even worth a response. Well done either way.

smr00

Banned
Defiantly picking this up when it hits a $29.99-39.99 sale.

Which hopefully will happen in the next few weeks like most games do these days, loved the demo but not $65 love it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I can't recall the last time I've seen a game sold out on amazon on the first day. Glad I pre ordered :lol

Had to have been a small shipment.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't have the game yet, but to me the Survive It events sound like a pretty fun diversion. As long as the majority of the courses are not of that character, I think I'll be happy with the game.

Teknoman

About Super Tricky tricks, is it always best to do them whenever you've got enough air (during race it anyway), or should you just forget about it and just use the infinite boost?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Just like the demo I'm starting off pretty crappy (guess that's what I get for not playing the PS3 demo for a few days), but damn I love what I'm playing.

gate777

SSX arrived! Tutorials 1 and 2 finished as well as the first run. I'll play a little bit later again for a lot longer.

Game is Awesome!!!

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but does custom soundtrack automatically mix with the in-game soundtrack, or will they be separated forever like two meant-for-each-other lovers?

Can't wait to pick this up after I finish some work :D

soultron

Banned
The wingsuit is fucking AWESOME. Once you get the hang of it, it's so great.

I really dig it too. I think it's the best of the new toys. Try out some of the more challenging back country runs later when you level up.
This is the part where I let out a maniacal laugh because Tokubetsu has no idea what he's getting into.

I can't seem to beat my personal best of 1:18.13 on Rolling Thunder (Antarctica, Vinson Masiff) right now. I guess when I'm a higher level I'll be able to get that down to 1:10-1:15. I'll give it a rest for now. My favourite track so far. You're welcome to try to take my turf from me. :p

Also, there's nothing like dropping into the last few minutes of a public Global Event and sweeping into the Diamond bracket. Hopefully my skills will hold as everyone else gets good at the game!

soultron

Banned
2 questions:

1- how do you skip music tracks?
2- how do you place geotags?

You can't skip tracks in-game. If you don't like a track outright, you can disable it in the soundtrack menu. (Hit back on the globe menu to bring up RiderNet and options.)

You place GTs by first equipping one, going into rewind, and then hitting A when you feel you're in a good spot. Release the rewind button and then you're back in the game.

Tokubetsu

I really dig it too. I think it's the best of the new toys. Try out some of the more challenging back country runs later when you level up.
This is the part where I let out a maniacal laugh because Tokubetsu has no idea what he's getting into.

I can't seem to beat my personal best of 1:18.13 on Rolling Thunder (Antarctica, Vinson Masiff) right now. I guess when I'm a higher level I'll be able to get that down to 1:10-1:15. I'll give it a rest for now. My favourite track so far. You're welcome to try to take my turf from me. :p

Also, there's nothing like dropping into the last few minutes of a public Global Event and sweeping into the Diamond bracket. Hopefully my skills will hold as everyone else gets good at the game!

Definitely. Right now im focusing on just beating world tour before i dig into global events.

Top Bottom