• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Ghost23

Loved the game so far besides a few nitpicks. My biggest gripe is that a lot of courses force you to go against the deadly obstacles like oxygen and coldness. I just want to race and do tricks!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
My thumbs and hands HURT.SO.GOOD.

I suppose my hands are showing their age it's been what nearly 9 years since I've mashed buttons this furiously. After playing for about 4 hours I gotta say I'm pretty in love with this game. But, I also have to agree with some of the criticism that I read in reviews. Falling to your death is a real buzz kill. The 3 or so deadly descents I've played have not been much to write home about either for lack of a better word they seem gimmicky.

Besides those couple of things I can safely say that I'll be playing SSX for a long time and it's a very enjoyable and worthy SSX entry.

Got the game at 10AM. Played straight through until 4PM when I had to go pick up my girlfriend. I was on the drop right before the New Zealand deadly decent. So close to finished with World Tour!

Also glowing suits rule.

BHK3

Banned
Played the game, controls ruined the game for me. The game is much more focused on speed this time around which is really disappointing, in SSX 3 you could hold down the right stick to maintain your boost but now it does nothing, so when you have no boost you might as well walk to the next jump.

balddemon

Banned
This sucks. I got the game for cheap ($55 including tax). Come home to play it. Oh wait, the window on my car doesn't work and won't roll up. Can't have that, since we park it outside. Me and my dad spend a while fixing it, eventually give up and just force the window up and duck tape it closed. And now it's time to shower and go to bed. All without opening my copy of SSX :(

This sucks.

Kazoo

This thread is killing me :( I'll hopefully be able to play it tomorrow morning but i'll clear off some of my friends list on XBL to make room for some of you! Going to need some good records to beat in the morning!

My Tag: SG Kazo

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
been playing this with my roommate all day. amazing game and really feels like a great addition to the storied ssx franchise.

deadly descents are super fun, wingsuit is awesome, music is surprisingly good, controls feel spot on, graphics and framerate are crisp.

we're still working our way through the world tour, can't wait to start the real meat of the game.

KuroNeeko

Sorry if this has been posted earlier in the thread but what kind of visual customization options are there for the characters in terms of suits and clothes. Is there a variety different costumes and whatnot to choose from or are we stuck with palette swaps as suspected?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Sorry if this has been posted earlier in the thread but what kind of visual customization options are there for the characters in terms of suits and clothes. Is there a variety different costumes and whatnot to choose from or are we stuck with palette swaps as suspected?

Palette swaps and slightly more interesting glowing suits.

Bildi

Played the game, controls ruined the game for me. The game is much more focused on speed this time around which is really disappointing, in SSX 3 you could hold down the right stick to maintain your boost but now it does nothing, so when you have no boost you might as well walk to the next jump.
You mean board presses to extend your combo? The game still has board presses and they work the same. Only different is you can't rotate while in the press like in SSX3.

The only deadly decent that really irked me was Africa (and Himalayas a bit). I hope it is better with a maxed out headlamp. It bugs me that the backcountry peaks are all basically not-as-deadly descents. It has basically assured the fact that I will never play them in Africa and the Himalayas. The air tank is just stupid and makes the game arbitrarily harder.

I will probably spend 90%+ of my time on the Event peaks. They all totally rule. I especially loved Siberia's, the Himalayas', and New Zealand's. And Alaska's too actually. They scream old school SSX design.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Read somewhere that the leveling slows down after level 4 or 5?
Im'm almost level 8 with Kaori and it still seems fairly quick.

LOL, thanks for pointing it out, StrikerObi...where the hell did I get Midori from?

gl1tch

Neo Member
Geotags are really going to be nuts, spent a half hour trying to get one that placed in a canyon, rewind for -600k. I only saw it cause I jumped into it. -_-

Played too much of this today. Finished World Tour and am knocking out a few Explore things. It's pretty good when you have the feel for it.

Parham

Banned
Most fun I've had so far is doing the Patagonia Wing Suit Deadly Descent without the wing suit to get the achievement. Took me 5 attempts to figure out the line, but once I did it was a blast. I couldnt imagine doing a race or trick run there without the wing suit though.

I cannot for the life of me find your geotag on Broken Elbow. :lol

I fucking -love- the global events. Reviewing this game has been a real treat.
So good. I spent most of the day going through the world tour (still have the final event to go), but I pulled up the global events for a bit before turning it off for the night. I played four or five events and I think I'm going to get sucked in pretty easily.

Are the ghosts you see in those events people playing at the same time or just replays of the past runs of others?

And I still need more snowboardin' friends. ;D XBL: IamMattFox

Pancho

Qurupancho
So good. I spent most of the day going through the world tour (still have the final event to go), but I pulled up the global events for a bit before turning it off for the night. I played four or five events and I think I'm going to get sucked in pretty easily.

Are the ghosts you see in those events people playing at the same time or just replays of the past runs of others?

The blue ghost you'll see is the ghost of the lowest score in the next bracket (for example if you were on the bronze bracket, you'll see the ghost of the lowest score in the silver bracket.)

The other hologram-like colored ghosts are people who are playing the event in real time with you, sort of like the ghosts you see in Demon's Souls.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, need more snowboarding friends. PSN: LonestarGA

It's a good feeling to beat someone else's time/score ;)

The blue ghost you'll see is the ghost of the lowest score in the next bracket (for example if you were on the bronze bracket, you'll see the ghost of the lowest score in the silver bracket.)

The other hologram-like colored ghosts are people who are playing the event in real time with you, sort of like the ghosts you see in Demon's Souls.
Ah, neat. I'll pay more attention to this next time.

I wasn't even expecting to see the ghosts or real-time players in these events. It seems to make things more exciting overall.

ultron87

I love this game except when I'm wildly careening off cliffs and/or into lava holes and am then forced to restart since rewinding back to a point where I could actually shift my momentum such that I don't die would be painfully penalizing.

I need more people on my friendslist who actually picked the game up. XBL name is same as my username.

Raxus

I have completed 4 deadly descents now, 2 of which without armor/icepicks. Based on the reviews I thought this would be much harder.

JaseMath

Competed 3/9 Deadly Descents. I can't wait to play again tomorrow...mainly becasue Patagonia left a really bad taste in my mouth.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Have to wait at least till Thursday for this to ship from Toys R Us (my luck it will arrive Monday... ah the torture.

Mine hasn't shipped either. Did you call them and did they tell you Thursday at the earliest? If so, I will never reserve a game from them again.

Teknoman

PSN/SEN: TeknomanEX

I'm still doing the world tour, but I should be finished soon and participating in explore before the end of the week.

iamcenok

I'm jealous of all you people, I ordered my copy from Toys R us, and it's telling me I wont get the game till March 2nd - the 7th.

mxgt

Banned
I was bitching about this earlier. Trust me. Only way is to burn cds. You have to transfer to the 360's hdd and you can't do that with mp3s.

I must've missed this. No MP3's? ripping my mp3 collection to a CD and doing it that way won't work?

Well I'm fucked then, I don't even own any CD's any more.

Top Bottom