• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Vespene

I've noticed the Deadly Decents have been hit and miss. Some are great fun (Gravity), others too easy (Thin Air), others too hard (Ice). I'm not a big fan of the death holes. SSX has always been about keeping you going. Since the first game, if you fell down a pit, you'd just respawn somewhere around where you fell off almost immediately. Having to manually rewind is kinda redundant.

Codeblew

Wow this game is a blast. Especially going against rivals and world events. I got 6/9 deadly events so far in the single player. I had to skip the icepick one because it was pissing me off so much. I haven't done the last two yet but the other ones after that were easy in comparison.

I need more rivals. Add me to PSN - MidBoss

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The world event stuff is insanely addictive. Just got a platinum score (13 mill) on a stage in Alaska ending in 4 minutes, looks like I'm getting ~105K and it was free to enter.

I've noticed the Deadly Decents have been hit and miss. Some are great fun (Gravity), others too easy (Thin Air), others too hard (Ice). I'm not a big fan of the death holes. SSX has always been about keeping you going. Since the first game, if you fell down a pit, you'd just respawn somewhere around where you fell off almost immediately. Having to manually rewind is kinda redundant.

Yeah, I just beat World Tour and feel this way overall. I liked Gravity, Rocks, and the final stage a lot. Avalance, Trees, and Darkness were alright. Thin Air was annoying, Ice was a cool idea but that stage was weirdly hard, Pulse goggles SUCKED. I'm forgetting something I think, but whatever.

Vespene

The world event stuff is insanely addictive. Just got a platinum score (13 mill) on a stage in Alaska ending in 4 minutes, looks like I'm getting ~105K and it was free to enter.

Yeah, I just beat World Tour and feel this way overall. I liked Gravity, Rocks, and the final stage a lot. Avalance, Trees, and Darkness were alright. Thin Air was annoying, Ice was a cool idea but that stage was weirdly hard, Pulse goggles SUCKED. I'm forgetting something I think, but whatever.

The problem with Ice is the death holes. There's SO MANY blind corners and jumps, making it an exercise on memorization and caution where taking risks is punished, not rewarded.

A good example, however, of a dangerous course that is fair is the Gravity challenge in South America. I love, love, love that mountain. I run it with Kaori like 20 times a day.

Overall I think the reviews have been fair given all these issues. I'd say the game is most fun when you ignore the campaign and focus on the online stuff, like certain other EA game.

aro52

Yeah, not enjoying the Deadly Decents. And the "death holes"?! What is up with that shit!? If you emphasize a dedicated button for rewind, there is something wrong with your level design, I'm sorry. (SSX should not be a painful "remember the route" game)

Other than those things though, I enjoy the hell out of this game! Which is why this game is driving me nuts! One minute I'm feeling the awesomeness of old school SSX Tricky on PS2, and the next minute I'm rage quitting and hating that I play video games! I guess we're just lucky they dropped the 100% Deadly Decents game. bulletdodged.jpg

EDIT:
I'd say the game is most fun when you ignore the campaign and focus on the online stuff, like certain other EA game.

That's good advice. I think tomorrow, I'll ditch the campaign effort, and jump straight into the online stuff. (or maybe I'll just go back to BF3 online :p)

Papercuts

I will say the DDs seem fun in the world event mode. I just got Diamond on Trees, which took 3 full runs. Looks like I'm getting 500K!

Tokubetsu

Man, I hate the Kilamanjaro tracks, but I really appreciate what they tried to do with it's deadly descent track. It was epic. Great track intro too. One more DD to go, and the only one I remember having trouble with was the rock one. I hear a lot of people have problems with the ice one but It never gave me any problems.

red731

Two more days boom shaka laka!

Europe PSN players add me. Name in the list in OT or profile.
I have many of you, so who wants more competiton...

Tokubetsu

The rock one is only brutal too because its very hard to control your speed and rate of accelration in this. So you're bound to hit most of the walls in those tiny narrow spots. I might just suck though, so, grain of salt n shit.

Papercuts

The rock one is only brutal too because its very hard to control your speed and rate of accelration in this. So you're bound to hit most of the walls in those tiny narrow spots. I might just suck though, so, grain of salt n shit.

You can pretty easily pingpong between rocks but it never seemed to do much to my armor, so I dunno. The ice one was hard for me trying to play it like a normal stage, grinding around usually led to giant deathholes. It's not bad when you go slow, but that's no fun. :(

Tokubetsu

You can pretty easily pingpong between rocks but it never seemed to do much to my armor, so I dunno. The ice one was hard for me trying to play it like a normal stage, grinding around usually led to giant deathholes. It's not bad when you go slow, but that's no fun. :(

I'm actually having problems with the first normal race on New Zealand right now. Feels like I'm literally fighting with the track design to stay on a line. I keep getting halfway and falling off, or totoally losing my place to rewind.

JambiBum

I'm actually having problems with the first normal race on New Zealand right now. Feels like I'm literally fighting with the track design to stay on a line. I keep getting halfway and falling off, or totoally losing my place to rewind.

You can control your rate of speed pretty easily once you figure it out. Just pull back on the left stick and it will slow you down immensely. Wish I would have realized it before I did the rock DD though.

Teknoman

You can control your rate of speed pretty easily once you figure it out. Just pull back on the left stick and it will slow you down immensely. Wish I would have realized it before I did the rock DD though.

So leaning forward (holding forward) with the stick makes you go faster?

Papercuts

I just did a 140 combo on Serenity...only got 29 million, but whatever. Diamond is good enough for me.

I had trouble with that too. First race of NZ and the DD of that area are the hardest tracks in the game to me. You can't afford to rewind but it's easy to mess up.

Tokubetsu

I just did a 140 combo on Serenity...only got 29 million, but whatever. Diamond is good enough for me.

I had trouble with that too. First race of NZ and the DD of that area are the hardest tracks in the game to me. You can't afford to rewind but it's easy to mess up.

Seriously. I had to just go take Ty into global, earn some money/levels and then come back and buy way faster board because the stupid store system wasn't giving me good options. This is the first track that felt like a brick wall challenge wise. I've been knocking them down fairly easily before this.

Vespene

Again, I love the game, but some shit really drives me off the wall.

Why the fuck is there even a rewind button during races? If you jump too far and find yourself looking down a chasm towards certain death, by the time you rewind back to the take off spot you're looking at some 10 seconds lost against your opponents. Convicted to fail.

It would've been infinitely better to just have a teleport back to where you took off at reduced speed. This is a problem of stubborn game design. They want to keep the same rules and mechanics throughout the game when some clearly don't work well universally.

The more I play, the more I feel the "Survive It" aspect of the game hinders the Trick It and Race It aspects, which are classic SSX. It's good that we can just choose to play just the good parts of the game, but when the survival design choices (rewind, ice picks, oxygen tanks) bleed into the fun game types, its extremely frustrating.

It's like Sonic Unleashed. The 2D Sonic stuff was good serviceable Sonic gameplay many enjoy... oh and hey then there's this werehog shit to fuck with you every time you're beginning to have fun.

If they patched the racing courses to take out the rewind and implement a teleport back to the track system, this game would go from an 8 to a 9.5 on my scale.

If the team takes most of the complaints I've read and addresses those directly, the next game will probably be closer to the SSX a lot of people were expecting. Almost every negative is either the DD tracks, the tracks riddled with pits that force you to abuse the rewind button, overly easy trick system, "bland" track and character design, lack of splitscreen, and/or lack of online head to head racing. Hopefully it sells well and they get to adjust for a sequel now that the framework is already built and it's clearer what people want and expect from this series.

Ketch

Ok I'm adding all the Pacific Standard time folks on PS3 on. We should have some kind of regional comp, highest scores from each time zone on the GAF list compete against each other for internet fame?

KaYotiX

Banned
Love love love SSX online, I feel that's where the game truly shines. The Deadly descents thing feels like a big tutorial for the online part :)

Feel free to add me, Kayotix Is my 360 tag

Zanosuke

First time SSX-player here. Man, the demo is SO much fun! Finally got gold on the race event - 02.11.76, hell yeah! Will def. buy this game!

Tokubetsu

Wow, Soultron was not kidding about Death Zone. It is going to break some gaffers spirits for sure. People bitching about the DD design are not ready for it. At all.

Papercuts

Wow, Soultron was not kidding about Death Zone. It is going to break some gaffers spirits for sure. People bitching about the DD design are not ready for it. At all.

I think the track itself is fun as hell, you have to be PERFECT though.

It is weird how pretty much all of WT is insanely easy, then New Zealand comes and says "lol no".

Tokubetsu

It is weird how pretty much all of WT is insanely easy, then New Zealand comes and says "lol no".

Yep. Just when I was already losing by 27 seconds...they thrown in
an avalanche
ibg0And9cKS3FE.gif

GG EA Canada.

I'm hopped up on coffee though, so it's getting done tonight.

If the team takes most of the complaints I've read and addresses those directly, the next game will probably be closer to the SSX a lot of people were expecting. Almost every negative is either the DD tracks, the tracks riddled with pits that force you to abuse the rewind button, overly easy trick system, "bland" track and character design, lack of splitscreen, and/or lack of online head to head racing. Hopefully it sells well and they get to adjust for a sequel now that the framework is already built and it's clearer what people want and expect from this series.

SOMEONE explain this to me so I can FINALLY BEAT Moby's FIRST Trick challenge in World Tour.

Also, no, seriously, what does leveling up a character do.

Yeah, Zombies with Jet Packs can kiss my ass. I spent way too much time on that level. There are a lot of fun courses in this game, but the ones with all the death holes really break my spirit.

Also, did two RiderNet Global Challenges disappear last night? I posted KILLA scores in two really big payout ones (both on Serenity, IIRC) and I can't seem to see them in my RiderNet wall anymore. Pretty sure they were both supposed to last a week and I know I didn't get the payout yet.

Okay I just tried another quick run on the big payout trick one and at the end it still had my old score loaded/saved, it just wasn't showing up on the wall. Annoying.

casabolg

Banned
Personally I'm loving this one. The Deadly Descents are terribly fun and challenging. There seems to be enough here to satiate a lot of different tastes. I honestly was not expecting to be on the edge of my seat and struggling come Mt. Robson and Beluka East and I feel a very classic SSX feel from event mountains. I haven't touched the backcountry yet besides the Griff ghost challenges. The game lacks the style of SSX3 along with the customization but REALLY improves the gameplay, I feel.

Honestly I was hoping for Mt. Slaughter to look a bit more daunting, though. Coldest place in the world and it's hitting record lows come the story mission yet it was pretty nice and sunny.

That and when you're at the peak of Everest and there are skybox mountains TALLER than the peak you're on. That's just not right.

Moofers

Just hit the Gravity Deadly Descent. Loving this game. Everything about it. I love how the characters are all older than when I last saw them, I love the soundtrack, I love the character models, the track designs, tricking off the helicopter, seeing quakes ripple down the track when in Super Tricky mode, ALL OF IT.

I want this game pretty bad. Its awesome. I wish it had come out later though cuz I already spent my money paying for Mass Effect 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken. I need this game though! I might just break my rule of not trading stuff in to have it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You mean board presses to extend your combo? The game still has board presses and they work the same. Only different is you can't rotate while in the press like in SSX3.

Uh, yeah, you can. While holding Square or Circle (to do a nose or tail press), just rotate the left stick around.

But I do wish you could choose to do presses with the right stick instead (in the standard control scheme). I don't use the stick for tricks anyway, so it's just sitting there all useless for me.

noomi

Downloaded a small update on my PS3 yesterday, it was 1.01.

Anyone know what this was?

And for that matter how can you find the patch notes for any game update via the PS3? Kind of annoying.....

Chamber

love on your sleeve
SOMEONE explain this to me so I can FINALLY BEAT Moby's FIRST Trick challenge in World Tour.

Also, no, seriously, what does leveling up a character do.

From what I can tell, it just allows you to use better boards and equipment.

Again, I love the game, but some shit really drives me off the wall.

Why the fuck is there even a rewind button during races? If you jump too far and find yourself looking down a chasm towards certain death, by the time you rewind back to the take off spot you're looking at some 10 seconds lost against your opponents. Convicted to fail.

It would've been infinitely better to just have a teleport back to where you took off at reduced speed. This is a problem of stubborn game design. They want to keep the same rules and mechanics throughout the game when some clearly don't work well universally.

The more I play, the more I feel the "Survive It" aspect of the game hinders the Trick It and Race It aspects, which are classic SSX. It's good that we can just choose to play just the good parts of the game, but when the survival design choices (rewind, ice picks, oxygen tanks) bleed into the fun game types, its extremely frustrating.

It's like Sonic Unleashed. The 2D Sonic stuff was good serviceable Sonic gameplay many enjoy... oh and hey then there's this werehog shit to fuck with you every time you're beginning to have fun.

If they patched the racing courses to take out the rewind and implement a teleport back to the track system, this game would go from an 8 to a 9.5 on my scale.
That's why I described this as both my favorite and least favorite game in the series. There's some good stuff here, really good stuff but the bad parts about this game are absolutely infuriating.

casabolg

Banned

SSX Protips:
1. Rewind early as to not lose ground. Anticipate where you're falling. It's not hard.

BPK

Is it just me, or is the rumble feedback in this game really weak? I'll land a huge jump only to barely feel a thing. Was this an issue in the demo, or is it also present in the full game. Rumble is so natural a feature that I only notice it when it's missing or really toned down. Anyone else?

When you spend credits to enter an event, do you spend them every time you start or can you restart the event as often as you want?

Can you map Rewind to the Select button?

Top Bottom