• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

It's funny how that people are ragging on this game for having pits and tracks that you can fall off of when SSX3 had the same thing, albeit less frequently since Peak 3 is where it gets Xtreme.

Yeah but the difference was that in SSX3 if you fell off you got auto-reset and the rubber-band AI made it so that even when this happened one or two times, you could still win the race. In this one you really can't especially if you launch off a huge ramp and spend 5 seconds in the air before you realize that you're going to hit a pit.

Though in World Tour against Griff I was able to rewind on a few tracks (twice even) and still manage to beat him / his ghost. But in Explore mode, you won't be setting any high scores / best times if you need to rewind.

that guy really sucks.

It's painful to watch.

soultron

Banned
Good grief. Next time, get some people who actually played and liked SSX to make a new one. Give this one a different name. I suggest "Turd."

Dude. A lot of the people who made this game one or both of the following:

A) someone who worked on a past SSX title
B) people who started working at EA because SSX inspired them to or because they specifically wanted to work on an SSX title (one of the developers told me this when we were playing the game together)

Vespene

It's funny how that people are ragging on this game for having pits and tracks that you can fall off of when SSX3 had the same thing, albeit less frequently since Peak 3 is where it gets Xtreme.

They are sparse, and when you fall down them you're teleported back to the track without much penalty.

Dude. A lot of the people who made this game one or both of the following:

A) someone who worked on a past SSX title
B) people who started working at EA because SSX inspired them to or because they specifically wanted to work on an SSX title

They did a pretty lousy job of it. Best of luck to them in their future titles, wish them well and all that, but this is a horrible excuse for SSX. They missed the mark in a big way.

They are sparse, and when you fall down them you're teleported back to the track without much penalty.

Good to hear, I don't know if it's just disappointment that it's not SSX3 or whether people have legitimate qualms with the game on it's own merits but I'm still feeling less hyped now than I was.

Vespene

Good to hear, I don't know if it's just disappointment that it's not SSX3 or whether people have legitimate qualms with the game on it's own merits but I'm still feeling less hyped now than I was.

I was referring to SSX3...

okayguy.jpg

FHIZ

I like is game I really do, but it suffers from a lot of those "man, this really isn't fun" elements... Mainly everything involving the deadly descents, especially the sun and oxygen ones. It's just a complete annoyance. There are a fee other things that bug me about level design, IE dark tunnels, but other than that... It's fun for the most part.

Fixed1979

needs moar death holez

No issues so far.

How do you place Geotags anyway?

EDIT: Game is tons of fun, good more than outweighs the bad, much like NFS: HP.

I actually really like their inclusion of geotags, one of the few things they added that I dig. You just need to equip before a run and enter rewind during your run, when you're in rewind you can place the geotag.

I'm already starting to see them abused but it doesn't much matter in the long run I suppose.

Finally starting to improve, using the right stick exclusively over the buttons completely hampered my ability. I enjoy that there's still a pretty decent skill ceiling despite the ease of tricking etc.

Trey

They did a pretty lousy job of it. Best of luck to them in their future titles, wish them well and all that, but this is a horrible excuse for SSX. They missed the mark in a big way.

The demo is the best overall SSX experience I've had, and I've owned 1-3. There are some things I don't like (mostly those magnetic ass rails), and some I don't care for at all, but on the whole it's a very fun game.

Does speed and tricking better than the rest, even though landing them is a bit too forgiving.

soultron

Banned
No issues so far.

How do you place Geotags anyway?

EDIT: Game is tons of fun, good more than outweighs the bad, much like NFS: HP.

First you need to equip one (You get them in WT by completing certain events; you can also buy them in the store.) and then, when you're in the game, you can place them by hitting rewind and then pressing A. You'll know you've equipped them properly when you rewind and see a little green sphere following in front of your character.

Hope this helps.

I like is game I really do, but it suffers from a lot of those "man, this really isn't fun" elements... Mainly everything involving the deadly descents, especially the sun and oxygen ones. It's just a complete annoyance. There are a fee other things that bug me about level design, IE dark tunnels, but other than that... It's fun for the most part.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it. Thankfully, there are so many GREAT tracks packed into the game that I don't really care if there are some god-awful shit ones in there as well. The number of really fun tracks is higher than it has been in any other SSX game so I see it as a net positive.

I really, really, REALLY enjoy the game when I am just flying through the air doing crazy tricks, landing perfectly before another jump and then launching into another crazy set of tricks. When the game flows, it FLOWS and is beautiful.

It's too bad they decided to over-complicate everything with bottomless pits, a worthless rewind, weird gadgets that de-emphasize the flow significantly, and unfun tracks (looking at you, underground African tracks).

The game really reminds me of Trials HD in that the game is at its best when there is a real sense of rhythm and speed but later levels became too intricate and slowed down progress significantly. I am definitely not finishing World Tour.

Edit: Also, the achievement list is pretty bad. I somehow have 12 achievements worth less than 100 points and it seems there will be awhile before I actually earn another one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't blame them for not wanting to make SSX 3 in HD. Must be boring as a game designer just to make the same game again.

To me, the only problem with this SSX is track design but that's a huge problem. I pretty much have no desire to play on half the tracks in the game due to amount of pits present. The tracks that don't have them and allow me to just focus on tricks and racing without being afraid to turn the next corner, are absolutely fantastic.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I really, really, REALLY enjoy the game when I am just flying through the air doing crazy tricks, landing perfectly before another jump and then launching into another crazy set of tricks. When the game flows, it FLOWS and is beautiful.

sounds like SSX1-3

soultron

Banned
To me, the only problem with this SSX is track design but that's a huge problem. I pretty much have no desire to play on half the tracks in the game due to amount of pits present. The tracks that don't have them and allow me to just focus on tricks and racing without being afraid to turn the next corner, are absolutely fantastic.

RiderNet allows the developer to collect a lot of telemetry data. Make sure you favourite your preferred track styles because it basically says to the devs, "I want more of this!"

It's too bad they decided to over-complicate everything with bottomless pits, a worthless rewind, weird gadgets that de-emphasize the flow significantly, and unfun tracks (looking at you, underground African tracks).

Agreed. I love it because it's SSX and I've only played one game this entire generation that even came close to copying the formula (Pure), but the survival part of the game (weather gimmicks, death pits, darkness, cold, etc. etc.) isn't sitting well with me as much. Either they're flat out annoying, or better on paper than in execution. The tracks where I can zone out to my custom soundtrack and have a WIDE playground ahead of me are amazing, and pure bliss. The narrow death trap courses where I'm falling into pit after pit, or bouncing around a cave are often just frustrating. Not necessarily because they're difficult either, but just because they break up the FLOW so much with the constant rewinding/restarting.

I can't blame them for not wanting to make SSX 3 in HD. Must be boring as a game designer just to make the same game again.

Well, it's a good thing they got to make the SSX game they wanted, or you wouldn't have all those bottomless pits on the tracks that you're enjoying so much.

Agreed. I love it because it's SSX and I've only played one game this entire generation that even came close to copying the formula (Pure), but the survival part of the game (weather gimmicks, death pits, darkness, cold, etc. etc.) isn't sitting well with me as much. Either they're flat out annoying, or better on paper than in execution. The tracks where I can zone out to my custom soundtrack and have a WIDE playground ahead of me are amazing, and pure bliss. The narrow death trap courses where I'm falling into put after pit, or bouncing around a cave are often just frustrating. Not necessarily because they're difficult either, but just because they break up the FLOW so much with the constant rewinding/restarting.

I feel the same. I just beet the world tour as fast as I could, and moved on to the multiplayer. I feel like the multiplayer can keep me entertained for a long time, as long as I only do Races and Trick-its.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, it's a good thing they got to make the SSX game they wanted, or you wouldn't have all those bottomless pits on the tracks that you're enjoying so much.

I have my gripes with SSX Tricky and 3 as well. Those certainly were not perfect games in my view.

The first one was though. :)

FHIZ

God forbid the game should be difficult at all. Geeze we have some whiners in here.

Difficulty has nothing to do with the fact that I can't see where I'm going in a dark tunnel in which one wrong move of the tumbstick means I end up on the roof of said tunnel, going backwards then in a pit of lava two seconds later. Short times to beat? That's difficulty. Poor design is something entirely else.

Dany

Banned
I feel like you can see some of the "Deadly Descent" elements inthis game with the CG films they have in front of each mountain. Then it just takes a 180 degree turn with the motion comics. Really weird.

Trey

Difficulty has nothing to do with the fact that I can't see where I'm going in a dark tunnel in which one wrong move of the tumbstick means I end up on the roof of said tunnel, going backwards then in a pit of lava two seconds later. Short times to beat? That's difficulty. Poor design is something entirely else.

I think that's why they put in rewind. You can learn the track faster with it, rewinding specific parts instead of starting all the way over.

JaseMath

To people on the fence discouraged by the recent bout of negativity - DON'T BE. This game has it's few problems but they aren't so large that they'll rob you of a good time. If you're a fan of SSX, this game is worth every dime.

FHIZ

I think that's why they put in rewind. You can learn the track faster with it, rewinding specific parts instead of starting all the way over.

But when youre in a race event you might as well just restart the drop, because sometimes rewind is an instant "oh look, I'm last again" button.

soultron

Banned
I feel like you can see some of the "Deadly Descent" elements inthis game with the CG films they have in front of each mountain. Then it just takes a 180 degree turn with the motion comics. Really weird.

Yeah, they felt out of place and I feel that the timing is too quick that you can't even read what little is written.

They were a pre-release marketing asset as well. I feel like they were made to assuage fears of series fans who were worried that the characters wouldn't be a strong element in this game.

Mannnnnn, I'm stuck at work right now and want to be home playing. :c

Trey

But when youre in a race event you might as well just restart the drop, because sometimes rewind is an instant "oh look, I'm last again" button.

When you're learning the track, I don't think you would care about position...

Bebpo

Banned
My favorite part of the game is the dark caves where you can't see anything.

Hahaha

Yeaaaaah. On the first deadly descent (TREES), in those pitch black caves I was just going blind and hoping I didn't hit anything. Nothing wrong with nighttime tracks, but pitch dark areas make you wonder what they were thinking.

Im chilling out in the Trees Deadly Decent (forgot its name) Global event. Got into Gold Bracket 6hours left... will play again once i drop brackets. GAme is super chill for me so far. LOVE IT

ADD ME ON XBL: "Cuban Legend" (No quotes, with a space between the words)

soultron tour FL is full, how can i compete in global events you've completed in and see your ghosts?

To people on the fence discouraged by the recent bout of negativity - DON'T BE. This game has it's few problems but they aren't so large that they'll rob you of a good time. If you're a fan of SSX, this game is worth every dime.

Also it's the best game about falling into bottomless pits this year. IGN could write an editorial called 'What Mario can learn from SSX.'

soultron

Banned

If you're playing in WT, it's not imperative that you finish first; in fact, most race it events don't require that you come in first unless you're facing off against a single member of Team SSX or Griff.

So it doesn't really matter there, I feel.

In Explore and WT, bailing for whatever reason in a race event means, yeah, you've probably lost. But I feel that the absolute top times are done without bails, be it because they're skilled, know the track well enough, or both. They're the best because they can pull off a clean and efficient line, full stop. Retry and use what you've learned. I'm betting those who have the top times had to go through the exact same cycle.

Vespene

Agreed.

I like the game for the most part. SSX 3 was so perfect that taking that game and adding such an alien concept to the forumla (survival) goes against everything the original design accomplished.

My dream game would've been a huge city in the mountains similar to SSX 3's, but using the wingsuit, skydiving and base jumping. Make it semi-persistent so other players can hop into your game anywhere in the mountain. There's lifts that take you different places on the fly, similar to flight paths in open world MMOs. Overall, keep the complete failure variables to a minimum and bring back the whacky, over the top design of yore.

Going down the ridiculous 20 minute combined course of SSX 3 was infinitely more epic than the deadliest descent today.

Top Bottom