• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I'm enjoying the HELL out of this game. I went in wanting to use the Classic Controls but I can't seem to enjoy using the D-Pad for carving. Standard controls are alright but X for jump and Trick (in-air) leads to some crashes.

The online is SUPER badass, too. Really love the implementation.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
LOVE the online options in this game, sorry for doubting you EA.

I honestly forgot this game doesn't have traditional multiplayer.

They have to release a patch that allows you to turn off the idiotic gimmicks when not in world tour. They've completely ruined several otherwise wonderful tracks with this gimmicky crap.

LOVE the online options in this game, sorry for doubting you EA.

I honestly forgot this game doesn't have traditional multiplayer.

You'll remember it doesn't in a year or two when EA shuts down the servers.

njean777

Why isnt this game on vita? It seems like a perfect fit for a viita title with the mp being the way it is. I hope they do a port of it, but the question I have is, is this game worth it? I am a complete noob to SSX aside from playing it occasionally on my friends ps2 like 10 years ago, I enjoyed the demo and am still on the fence...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Okay, so that song "Drop it On the One"... am I crazy or in the game are they not saying "Drop it on the one" in the chorus. Maybe I just heard it wrong, but it sounds completely different to me.

Why isnt this game on vita? It seems like a perfect fit for a viita title with the mp being the way it is. I hope they do a port of it, but the question I have is, is this game worth it? I am a complete noob to SSX aside from playing it occasionally on my friends ps2 like 10 years ago, I enjoyed the demo and am still on the fence...

Please stop port begging for Vita. It's annoying. If you really want to talk about it go to that console games on Vita thread. It just contributes nothing to this topic.

Tokubetsu

They have to release a patch that allows you to turn off the idiotic gimmicks when not in world tour. They've completely ruined several otherwise wonderful tracks with this gimmicky crap.

You'll remember it doesn't in a year or two when EA shuts down the servers.

LOL It never ends.

njean777

Okay, so that song "Drop it On the One"... am I crazy or in the game are they not saying "Drop it on the one" in the chorus. Maybe I just heard it wrong, but it sounds completely different to me.

Please stop port begging for Vita. It's annoying. If you really want to talk about it go to that console games on Vita thread. It just contributes nothing to this topic.

The fuck? I only brought it up once, dont act like I have been doing it this whole thread!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The fuck? I only brought it up once, dont act like I have been doing it this whole thread!

You are the only person with the idea to port this to Vita.

If you can't tell I was being sarcastic.

I didnt think stating something counts as begging, hmmm maybe people have their definitions mixed up...
I hope they do a port of it

Yeah okay... and I wasn't being dick at all, just asking nicely.

red731

One more painful day...

Since I and I think many others will restart game when they screw up -

can't they patch in / change the rewind button to skip music track?

as same with the reminder that you can skip this event everytime when youre doing badly?

(as some people said)

I'm actually enjoying the game very well. Despite some of the "wubba wubba" dubstep music, I feel as though it's a worthy sequel to SSX 3(moreso than On Tour) and the fact that World Tour mode is pretty much like the "campaign" mode, it's more geared to get you ready for the online Global Events and Explore modes.

njean777

You are the only person with the idea to port this to Vita.

If you can't tell I was being sarcastic.

Yeah okay... and I wasn't being dick at all, just asking nicely.

Hmm still don't see how that is "asking earnestly" to do it. Hoping is not begging. Anyways let's get this thread back on topic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not surprised that people are getting really negative on DDs as they get farther. The game only really gets "hard" on the last two, but the only way the game can really make it difficult is cheaply via you barely being able to see what you're doing.

So I hope I'm not alone in saying this game is a mix of classic SSX brilliance with some unrelenting frustration caused almost exclusively by the new designs and mechanics (DDs in general, tracks with Super Mario bottomless pits, wonky Wingsuit physics).

btkadams

i've played for about 2 hours now, so here are my initial impressions (long-time ssx fan).

i'm extremely disappointed. i'm endlessly falling into pits and the rewind shit is annoying because i have to keep using it. it shouldn't be in the game and neither should all these pits. there were pits in levels in the older games but this is unbelievable. this is going to be extremely painful to play through if the levels keep this up. the gimmick stuff (like the wingsuit) are also annoying to use. also, health??? what the fuck???

i'm not going to dismiss the game yet, but this isn't looking good.

red731

Three. You have to finish the event (in a losing position) and/or die three times, not simply retry when pausing.

When I think Imma die I will restart. Restart is automatic if I can see finish and AI in front of me.

I dont want to mysteriously click on skip event and casualy get over hard parts.

Bebpo

Banned
Garghh, game just crashed on me after a race. Said "YOU WON A GEOTAG" and then the geotag picture never loaded and it just sat there forever :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm on PS3 and sometimes when I fail and go to the start menu and then restart race, it starts loading but then the menu continually scrolls down even if I don't press anything.

Anyone else have this problem? It's not a big deal at all, but it annoys me sometimes not gonna lie. :p

i've played for about 2 hours now, so here are my initial impressions (long-time ssx fan).

i'm extremely disappointed. i'm endlessly falling into pits and the rewind shit is annoying because i have to keep using it. it shouldn't be in the game and neither should all these pits. there were pits in levels in the older games but this is unbelievable. this is going to be extremely painful to play through if the levels keep this up. the gimmick stuff (like the wingsuit) are also annoying to use. also, health??? what the fuck???

I'm loving this game, but I have to agree with you. Most of the DD stuff are the weakest parts of the game and its a shame they included survival aspects in race and trick it tracks.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, after about 4 hours of playing it now I sort of like it but it's definitely a lukewarm like because this is seriously the most frustrating "I've restarted 10 times on this race" game in a while if you're going for golds on explore mode. Especially in the stages with goddamn pits EVERYWHERE or when you LOSE YOUR HP. So frustrating. And then the restart isn't even instant so you have to sit through that loading :|

While I enjoy playing SSX for the first time in a long while, I honestly don't see myself sticking with the game in the long term because it's just more annoying than fun to play a lot of the times. In a few weeks I'm sure I'll never touch it again.

JambiBum

Get out of world tour before you finish your judgement. Trust me.

Fixed1979

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=aDc0-QS_iqk Got distracted watched this video, besides a handful of courses I think I'm just going to end up not liking most of this game. They've done some damage to this series in my opinion. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky and a proper SSX game will get released at some point.

Finished of the WT and started a couple events but was just too drained at that point to do anything in them. I'll get back at it tomorrow. I'm going to stick with it for as long as I can put up with it, hoping either that it grows on me or I get into a groove on a few different courses and I end up being happy with just that. There's some things that feel really good but there's so much stuff that just fucking ruins it.

I'm so stupid. I forgot you can just skip a World Tour event that keeps dicking you. Pretty Moby's entire mountain had to be skipped. Boost is such a fucking waste of an attribute. Useless.

ANYway, after that, smooth sailing. 6/9 DDs down.

I ripped a bunch of CDs onto my 360 and, are you sitting down? The Suburbs by Arcade Fire is like PERFECT for this game. I know. Crazy.

I also put a bunch of El-P instrumentals and some of the snappier Ghostly releases and they are SO SICK on grinds. I can't believe how intricately they mess with the music in this game. I HIGHLY recommend going through the trouble of importing your music. It's really worth it. They put a ton into that feature.

This is the best advice anyone can give about this game. Start playing Explore mode, jump into some Global Events and forget about World Tour.

Nah, just aim for the nearest hole in the ground, die a few times and skip whatever annoys you.

After that?

TrxnB.gif

Smooth sailing.

btkadams

i'm confused about the world tour. do you not need to get first place? i've gotten second place in a couple events and the badge thing is still the same gold colour.

Get out of world tour before you finish your judgement. Trust me.
what's better about the other modes? isn't it just the same events but with all of the characters and racing ghosts?

ManeKast

Just got home with the PS3 version, the controls still feel WAY too loose as they did in the demo, is this the same deal with the 360 version (anyone who actually has both, maybe could answer this)...... or is there a setting to reduce sensitivity?

red731

Just got home with the PS3 version, the controls still feel WAY too loose as they did in the demo, is this the same deal with the 360 version (anyone who actually has both, maybe could answer this)...... or is there a setting to reduce sensitivity?

Everyone answered it everywhere even when the full ver was not out.
And yes the ps3 controlls are looser that the xbox ones.
Havent played it on xbox so just writing what Ive read - also no biggie for me because I dont know how xbox ssx controlls.

ManeKast

Everyone answered it everywhere even when the full ver was not out.
And yes the ps3 controlls are looser that the xbox ones.
Havent played it on xbox so just writing what Ive read - also no biggie for me because I dont know how xbox ssx controlls.

I thought the consensus was that the retail edition would be different/improved/customiseable. Oh well, friends all on PS3 so whatever.

btkadams

ok, i just finished the patagonia deadly descent. now THAT was fun. i only had to rewind a couple times and i wasn't racing or competing for points so it wasn't annoying.

red731

I thought the consensus was that the retail edition would be different/improved/customiseable. Oh well, friends all on PS3 so whatever.

I still heard people talking that it was not fixed. Maybe in patch and maybe when sony would release newer dualshocks with tighter sticks.

All your friends are dead. No just joking, I can explain that in PM. Also will add you to have more competition.

JambiBum

what's better about the other modes? isn't it just the same events but with all of the characters and racing ghosts?

Yes and no, mostly no. You get access to a lot better tracks and the DD stuff isn't nearly as prevalent. Like hardly at all. The tracks that are used for WT aren't nearly as fun as the ones you get in Explore.

Normally a game puts its best foot forward, but in the case of SSX they don't. World Tour is meant to be some sort of intro or tutorial to the game, but it turns out to be a massive turd. And the game really doesnt know what it wants to be. You get the OMIGOD SKULL animations, followed by jokey, light comic book scenes. Make up your mind.

The best thing you can do is skip the hell on out of WT the very second it gives you the option, and then just go to the main mountains in all of the 9 ranges. The main one is the default it brings you to when you select that range. Avoid all the gimmicky garbage runs, of which there are a great many. But there are also tons of good runs. The trick is to figure out which are which. This is the rare title that I can agree with the low score as easily as I can agree with the high ones.

Codeblew

The game is a lot better out of the single player DD crap. World events, and competing against ppl on your friends list is where the fun is at.

Codeblew

This is the best advice anyone can give about this game. Start playing Explore mode, jump into some Global Events and forget about World Tour.

So true. The only downside is that you have to eventually finish world tour if you want to unlock all the characters. I am about 2/3 done but I am going to only spend a max of 1/2 hr a day from now until I finish it.

JambiBum

So true. The only downside is that you have to eventually finish world tour if you want to unlock all the characters. I am about 2/3 done but I am going to only spend a max of 1/2 hr a day from now until I finish it.

You don't have to finish it to unlock them. If you want to you can just pay credits to unlock each one. World Tour only nets you them for free.

Top Bottom