• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

ManeKast

I still heard people talking that it was not fixed. Maybe in patch and maybe when sony would release newer dualshocks with tighter sticks.

All your friends are dead. No just joking, I can explain that in PM. Also will add you to have more competition.

Turbonegro? So bizzarre that I was listening to that song in the menu as I went to this thread again........ add me, sure. PSN same as avatar.

Does anyone think this game feels like your skateboarding down the slopes rather than sliding through ice? 1080 made me feel like I was sliding on ice, this feels, crazy... but cool.

Jamie OD

Just another day left until I finally get my hands on this. At least I'll be one of the few on the 360 side who will get access to Mt. Fuji. So take that, people who have the game 4 days before I do!

World tour isn't that hard. Yes some levels are challenging but that's how it should be. Im no pro gamer but I was able to beat it in two days. So don't give me none of this "it's too hard the ame is broken" baloney? It's actually a pretty decent campaign and has some of the wackiness with the charecters from tricky.

Bebpo

Banned
World Tour isn't the hard part of the game. In most events you only need to finish them, not even get a bronze. That's easy.

It's the gold medals on explore that can be really insane. Trick track on deadly decent survival track? :(

Ketch

I don't even want to post this right now because everyone is so damn negative. But I feel obligated because I'm really enjoying the game.

It's a ton of fun. After finishing world tour (aka super easy tutorial mode), I was pleasantly surprised to find the challenge ramped up significantly in explore mode.

When I first started explore mode I didn't have many peeps on my friends list so I was kind of stuck just trying to medal all the tracks in each region. But now that a bunch of you guys are on my list I find the recommend button to a be a great tool. I love how it kind of adapts to suggesting similar things to what I'm doing already while also providing other options for something different.

I've been focusing on race and wingsuit/armor survival events with Tane mostly, but now that he's maxed out I've switched to Kaori or whatever her name is for tricky and the more gimmicky survival events.

I love using the wingsuit on race events when it lets me, feels super awesome busting it out at just the right time to glide over mountain tops creating wicked short cuts.

I also really like some of the more gimmicky survival gear
can't wait to hear how wrong my opinion is
because of how it changes up the core gameplay. I find them to be a lot of fun when I want to kind of chill out a bit, slow down, and not worry about constantly striving for that tricky meter screaming down the mountain or endless spinning through the air. World Tour doesn't do them justice.

The semi-endless survival mode is where it's at with those gadgets. It's so much more fun and gratifying learning the tracks and then efficiently using your tools to get as faaaaaaaaaar as you can. I love the comparison someone made to Trials HD earlier, it really does kind of get me in the same way.

Check out the one survival drop in Antarctica (I think it's "Heartattack") that has you using the solar panel and body armor. It has a great "back-country" feel to it with powder as far as you can see. Great for chilling out (Pun! YES).

Now I will briefly mention things that I don't like, that way I wont come of as a total fan boy for this amazingly super fun bad ass game.

I don't really like the reverse angle avalanche mode... I've really only played like two but I just feel like you cannot see enough of the map in front of you. I do kind of get a cool free ski type vibe from them, and I don't mind the avalanche mechanic itself. But I really wish you could play this with the behind the back camera angle, and what makes it worse is that there are regular camera angle drops with avalanche mechanics in them and those moments are totally fucking rad.

Also, restarting the map from the pause menu takes too damn long. It's not horrible, but I really really wish it was instant. The rewind feature is fine for what it's worth, it serves the same purpose as "push select to reset on the track"
Opinions again? Yep. Deal with it.
. But if you are serious about setting records and impressing chicks you're not gonna want either of those, you're going to want to restart from the menu... and it takes just a little bit too long.

Anyways, I'm having so much damn fun with this game, I can't wait to get back in there and crush your pathetic attempts at setting fast times and high scores. It's addicting like facebook but fun like a video game and I totally recommend it to everyone in this thread who is on the fence... unless you're afraid of falling off the track.

ManeKast

Does the X360 version have different/better controls?

I just assumed the controls were designed to be really sensitive in the game. (playing on PS3).

I have only the 360 demo to go off, and it controls a lot more smoothly and less rapidly. I am able to turn into tight gaps easily whereas the PS3 oversteers for me almost like its out of control, trying to get used to it. Damn all my friends owning PS3s.

I just got a text from GameMania that I can pick up SSX.

I'm gonna pick it up after the break, then the wait begins when work is done.

It's trickayyyy!!!

red731

Just sent email regarding confirmation of departure of my precious game.

Please based gameleader, give me my game and you post, don't screw me over.

M_A_C

Fuck the PS3 controls, seriously. Still oversteering after four hours. Argh.

Is it really that bad?!?! I hope they can patch it, seems ridiculous in this day and age of the consoles that can happen.

PS3 version good other than that?

ManeKast

Is it really that bad?!?! I hope they can patch it, seems ridiculous in this day and age of the consoles that can happen.

PS3 version good other than that?

Everything is fine except the controller sensitivity. Really awesome you can use MP3s on the HDD and playlists for custom soundtracks. I never had this problem with SSX3..... it just seems like it could be fixed so easily, set sensitivity and/or deadzone = win. How does this kind of thing get past Q&A? Has to be the design of the controller I guess.

colinp

Banned
Woo! My copy should ship tomorrow so, with luck, I'll get it Saturday or Sunday and Monday at the latest. Not bad for half way around the world. I <3 amazon.co.jp!

Vespene

After 3 days, my smile finally finished fading after a frustrating excursion to the New Zealand death pits. I popped in SSX 3 and rode down the third peak for half an hour... my smile has returned. The new SSX has achieved the rank of Sonic Unleashed for me.

So how exactly am I supposed to sit at work for four more hours when a fresh new gleaming copy of SSX is sitting on my desk, taunting me and whispering nasty things in my ear?

Still waiting for the txt message, but I sure as hell will drop by GM later today.

Well, they just had the shipment in with SSX when I was there yesterday.

And they, here in Rotterdam, the shop opens at 09:30. About 15 mInutes later U received a text message.

4 more hours to go when I can play this bad boy.

Xun

Does the X360 version have different/better controls?

I just assumed the controls were designed to be really sensitive in the game. (playing on PS3).
To me the 360 version seems to feel more refined.

Also I'm currently playing with Classic controls and I don't at all have an issue with the D-pad surprisingly.

donarumo

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the game can use a mix of the soundtrack and my playlists or is it strictly either or for each race type?

It's done by type. Race, Trick, Survival, and Menu. Each can be set to use either SSX Music or your own custom sound track.

Of course, you could always find the SSX music (most of it) online and then add it to your own custom soundtrack. A lot of work sure but it gives you the best of both worlds.

Tokubetsu

Got Zoe to level 10. Kinda want to do it with Mac and Alex now...even though it took forever to go from 9 > 10.

Mystery Board for Zoe cost 1.1 mill credits ='(
I bought it

Got Zoe to level 10. Kinda want to do it with Mac and Alex now...even though it took forever to go from 9 > 10.

You eventually get access to buying boards that actually improve things right? Everything I can buy right now (my highest levels for anyone is like 5-6) are pretty significant downgrades from the default stuff they had at the start.

Tokubetsu

You eventually get access to buying boards that actually improve things right? Everything I can buy right now (my highest levels for anyone is like 5-6) are pretty significant downgrades from the default stuff they had at the start.

Yes. Boards start having huge stat boosts around level 7 or 8. Things like +24 Tricks etc. Once you start doing global events, you'll be spending cash on Mods too. IMO, buy a new board around rank 7 or 8 and save your money until you're rank 10. Before 10, just spend it on mods (they usually cost anywhere from 14k to 50k but are worth it). Gear at rank 10 can cost anywhere from 300k to 1 mill like the board I bought.

soultron

Banned

Tokubetsu's right. I'm at level 8 with Alex right now, and some of the boards I own now have one of the 3 stats a hair away from being full.

Annoying thing that shouldn't annoy me... the song that's playing in the menu should seamlessly keep playing when I start the run. Sometimes I just really like that song I was listening to and I want to hear it during the run.

Okay, custom soundtracks. I burn 80 minutes of my music to an audio CD, ripped it to my 360's HDD, titled all the Tracks and Artists and need the playlist as "SSX".

How do it get this to play in the game? I'm in the Ridernet menu user music and my only options are "SSX Music" or "Xbox Custom Mix 1".

Help, please?

soultron

Banned
Okay, custom soundtracks. I burn 80 minutes of my music to an audio CD, ripped it to my 360's HDD, titled all the Tracks and Artists and need the playlist as "SSX".

How do it get this to play in the game? I'm in the Ridernet menu user music and my only options are "SSX Music" or "Xbox Custom Mix 1".

Help, please?

As long as you add all of the tracks on the HDD to a playlist and save it -- this is using the 360's build in media player, remember this -- you should see that play list appear in your music options.

Is it because you're choosing to save your profile to a memory unit as opposed to your HDD? (This might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.) It should be showing up.

I didnt think stating something counts as begging, hmmm maybe people have their definitions mixed up...

Wow GAF, I am dissapoint. You're doing it wrong.

PORT BEGGING FOR PC, ENGAGE.

Also, unlocked some outfits for Eddie that give him Big Head Mode, and Big Hands Mode, lol.

r.gun

Neo Member
I actually really like the "Survive It" challenges in Global Events. There is quite a bit of strategy involved if you want to get a platinum rank. I just did the Antarctica one and got top place because I was using the line I used to get the trophy. All about conserving that solar panel!

Top Bottom