• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Am I missing something or are some of my global event times not being saved? I posted a time on Serenity yesterday, which is a week long event. And today my time isn't there anymore, like I haven't posted a time yet. What's up?

Am I missing something or are some of my global event times not being saved? I posted a time on Serenity yesterday, which is a week long event. And today my time isn't there anymore, like I haven't posted a time yet. What's up?

I've had that happen with that particular event also. It's not that its not saved, its that its not displayed. I ran through the Serenity Global Event and it showed that I had not beaten my previous score. It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Tawpgun

I call it the troll-copter. It is always just a meter out of reach to trick off of it because I jump too much.

I once tricked off the helicopter and it caused me to fall to my death. Not cool bro.

Also, there's some rails that have sucked me into an abyss.

Love the game though. It's a different flavor of SSX.

I once tricked off the helicopter and it caused me to fall to my death. Not cool bro.

Also, there's some rails that have sucked me into an abyss.

Love the game though. It's a different flavor of SSX.

The first Africa run where you race Mac had me very wary of rails. One just turned in a loopity loop!!

MEAN.

Anyone do the avalanche runs yet? I think it's pretty cool that's just a big endurance run. Also if you listen to the commentator and follow the bright orange augmented signs you should do fine

jbug617

Banned
Just looked at when Toys R Us will ship the game and I won't receive it till Tuesday and that's when SF X Tekken is coming out.

Anyone do the avalanche runs yet? I think it's pretty cool that's just a big endurance run. Also if you listen to the commentator and follow the bright orange augmented signs you should do fine
That was my favorite part of the campaign so far. It was cool as hell and imo very well done!

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Avalanche is one of the few DD that I like. It feels more arcade-like because of the way the camera is reversed and the level is so different from regular race it and trick it courses. I wish the DD's were more like avalanche in that they are completely separate and different from the traditional courses.

Hated the first one, the race. The second one wasn't so bad. Still will probably never play either one again, just not my idea of a good time.

Hale-XF11

Fuck the PS3 controls, seriously. Still oversteering after four hours. Argh.

I'm really disappointed to hear that. I don't have my copy of the game yet, but this is my biggest concern going into the full game. I was really hoping to hear that there would be different boards of different shapes and lengths available that would affect steering sensitivity, giving us a chance to choose which board performs best in that regard. Not sure what to think about this now.

I'm really disappointed to hear that. I don't have my copy of the game yet, but this is my biggest concern going into the full game. I was really hoping to hear that there would be different boards of different shapes and lengths available that would affect steering sensitivity, giving us a chance to choose which board performs best in that regard. Not sure what to think about this now.

I've played both retail versions. Yes the 360 version controls better, but the PS3 version isn't bad at all. It's just not as good, but if you didn't have the option to play both you wouldn't notice. It's not broken and it's not terrible on the PS3. It only feels that way if you've played the other. So my advice, don't play it on 360 if you intend to own the PS3 version.

eneko

One of the more enjoyable ones, although I felt especially "guided" and made it out of situations I probably shouldn't have. The camera got a little wonky at times too.

Don't worry about it. If you're competent at all you'll have no trouble mastering the controls. It's a non-problem.

winstano

Can anyone else confirm that the "slower spin" problems using classic controls from the demo haven't been fixed? I hit a 1620 spin from one ramp using standard with very little wind-up, and the same ramp resulted in a 900 spin using classic with more wind-up.

Just got my EU PS3 copy through, no patch for it, and there's an enormous difference between spin/flip speeds. Didn't really notice it on 360 at first earlier in the week, but gone back to it as well and it's the same.

Bit gutted tbh, anyone else using classic controls? (I'm still hung up on SSX of old to change!)

One of the more enjoyable ones, although I felt especially "guided" and made it out of situations I probably shouldn't have. The camera got a little wonky at times too.

I seemed to tackle the tricking in a more precise, x>b way from that POV so that was kind of fun.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Whiteout?! Really? Fucking really?!?

I just got there too. You know what's more fun than the crevasses we put in this game? Not being able to see in a level full of them. And also your helicopter pilot telling you "there's a huge crevasse to your right" as you are already falling into it makes it even more fun.

Hale-XF11

I've played both retail versions. Yes the 360 version controls better, but the PS3 version isn't bad at all. It's just not as good, but if you didn't have the option to play both you wouldn't notice. It's not broken and it's not terrible on the PS3. It only feels that way if you've played the other. So my advice, don't play it on 360 if you intend to own the PS3 version.

Don't worry about it. If you're competent at all you'll have no trouble mastering the controls. It's a non-problem.

Alright, well, I'll give it a chance and see if I can adjust myself any further to the controls. As it is, I feel like I'm only partially in control, even after spending many hours playing the demo. I'm still excited to pick up the full game though.

Played for a few more hours this morning. I am really LOVING some of these tracks (both of the tracks on the "Boris" mountain are brilliant) but there are other ones that I just hate with a passion. I'm sure I'll get better at them but going in to them blind and not knowing what to expect only to find death-pit city on some of them is kind of a bummer.

distrbnce

Banned
I don't even want to post this right now because everyone is so damn negative. But I feel obligated because I'm really enjoying the game.

It's a ton of fun. After finishing world tour (aka super easy tutorial mode), I was pleasantly surprised to find the challenge ramped up significantly in explore mode.

When I first started explore mode I didn't have many peeps on my friends list so I was kind of stuck just trying to medal all the tracks in each region. But now that a bunch of you guys are on my list I find the recommend button to a be a great tool. I love how it kind of adapts to suggesting similar things to what I'm doing already while also providing other options for something different.

I've been focusing on race and wingsuit/armor survival events with Tane mostly, but now that he's maxed out I've switched to Kaori or whatever her name is for tricky and the more gimmicky survival events.

I love using the wingsuit on race events when it lets me, feels super awesome busting it out at just the right time to glide over mountain tops creating wicked short cuts.

I also really like some of the more gimmicky survival gear
can't wait to hear how wrong my opinion is
because of how it changes up the core gameplay. I find them to be a lot of fun when I want to kind of chill out a bit, slow down, and not worry about constantly striving for that tricky meter screaming down the mountain or endless spinning through the air. World Tour doesn't do them justice.

The semi-endless survival mode is where it's at with those gadgets. It's so much more fun and gratifying learning the tracks and then efficiently using your tools to get as faaaaaaaaaar as you can. I love the comparison someone made to Trials HD earlier, it really does kind of get me in the same way.

Check out the one survival drop in Antarctica (I think it's "Heartattack") that has you using the solar panel and body armor. It has a great "back-country" feel to it with powder as far as you can see. Great for chilling out (Pun! YES).

Now I will briefly mention things that I don't like, that way I wont come of as a total fan boy for this amazingly super fun bad ass game.

I don't really like the reverse angle avalanche mode... I've really only played like two but I just feel like you cannot see enough of the map in front of you. I do kind of get a cool free ski type vibe from them, and I don't mind the avalanche mechanic itself. But I really wish you could play this with the behind the back camera angle, and what makes it worse is that there are regular camera angle drops with avalanche mechanics in them and those moments are totally fucking rad.

Also, restarting the map from the pause menu takes too damn long. It's not horrible, but I really really wish it was instant. The rewind feature is fine for what it's worth, it serves the same purpose as "push select to reset on the track"
Opinions again? Yep. Deal with it.
. But if you are serious about setting records and impressing chicks you're not gonna want either of those, you're going to want to restart from the menu... and it takes just a little bit too long.

Anyways, I'm having so much damn fun with this game, I can't wait to get back in there and crush your pathetic attempts at setting fast times and high scores. It's addicting like facebook but fun like a video game and I totally recommend it to everyone in this thread who is on the fence... unless you're afraid of falling off the track.

I support this post! I love this game. Glad to have you on my friend list!

Dyno

Played for three hours with my wife last night. The game is good! It's SSX baby! All of the gear is just tools in the tool box. You actually barely use it even when the run requires it. For me it's all just blending into the experience.

Very happy with how it turned out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Played for a few more hours this morning. I am really LOVING some of these tracks (both of the tracks on the "Boris" mountain are brilliant) but there are other ones that I just hate with a passion. I'm sure I'll get better at them but going in to them blind and not knowing what to expect only to find death-pit city on some of them is kind of a bummer.

Fuji

Good God, WTF thought that was a good idea.

For giggles, I made a custom track for friends to race on that, with a 2,000 draw on it. I still haven't actually finished a lap yet, after 15 tries at it. Stupid Holes in the ground...

bs000

More people probably entered the event and/or did better than you. What you see at the end of a Global Event is just what you're projected to win if and only if the leader board stays the exact same. You can get a smaller prize if you're knocked into a lower bracket.

This was after I've already received the credits though. In the upper left it said 1.5mil credits. Played a World Tour, I have 1.2mil afterwards.

Fixed1979

I just got there too. You know what's more fun than the crevasses we put in this game? Not being able to see in a level full of them. And also your helicopter pilot telling you "there's a huge crevasse to your right" as you are already falling into it makes it even more fun.

It's seriously the worse level design I've seen in a long fucking time. Even if the level was bright and sunny it would still be kinda fucked as a lot of the death pits are completely hidden from view until your in the air heading into one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got 38 million on the Serenity global event, I LOVE this track. Diamond is 87 million though...goddamn.

Just got 38 million on the Serenity global event, I LOVE this track. Diamond is 87 million though...goddamn.

I can't even get Bronze. You guys are insane. Am I that bad at this game? I can manage like 10 mil but can't get higher than that.

I really fucking wish this game had some sort of splitscreen multiplayer... frankly, it's ridiculous it doesn't have it. My girlfriend and I have been playing together, and it's annoying to have to trade off after every event.

soultron

Banned
I can't even get Bronze. You guys are insane. Am I that bad at this game? I can manage like 10 mil but can't get higher than that.

I really fucking wish this game had some sort of splitscreen multiplayer... frankly, it's ridiculous it doesn't have it. My girlfriend and I have been playing together, and it's annoying to have to trade off after every event.

You've gotta remember that those are quite literally the best players in the world right now.

If you're only pulling off scores of 10 million, chances are you just don't know the trick system well enough yet.

Let me dig up two posts to help you:

Trick tips

Trick system breakdown by StrikerObi

Hope this helps you out!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is there really no way to turn off inverted controls for the wingsuit? Quite a bummer.

Whiteout?! Really? Fucking really?!?

I actually liked the Whiteout DD. All I did was follow Griff's line down the mountain to avoid all the gaps and crevasses and then just boosted past him near the end.

Worst DD's were probably Ice and Darkness for me. Somewhat enjoyed Snow, Cold and Gravity.

soultron

Banned
Let the inverted versus normal control debate commence! :p

I'm a normal control kind of guy, but I quickly got used to it. Part of that was learning to stop flipping or letting my character level out before deploying it.

Will there be a rival community thread for this game? If not my XBL is Spectronix. Friends list is full so send a PM if you wish to be SHREDDING BROS

But seriously noone but one guy on my list has this game. Ridernet is no fun when you're alone, although people tend to easily snag my I thought were placed pretty good Geotags every hour or so.

soultron

Banned
Will there be a rival community thread for this game? If not my XBL is Spectronix. Friends list is full so send a PM if you wish to be SHREDDING BROS

But seriously noone but one guy on my list has this game. Ridernet is no fun when you're alone, although people tend to easily snag my I thought were placed pretty good Geotags every hour or so.

I'll try to do something of the sort when I get the chance. If someone else wants to step up and do it, be my guest.

I request that the title be SHREDDING BROS because that's hilarious.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fuji

Good God, WTF thought that was a good idea.

For giggles, I made a custom track for friends to race on that, with a 2,000 draw on it. I still haven't actually finished a lap yet, after 15 tries at it. Stupid Holes in the ground...

I would pay good good money for DLC tracks that have ZERO holes in them. Good money.

Top Bottom