• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What character are you guys using anyway? I swore I was going to pick someone new since I've always used Mac in SSX games but here I am, still tricking with Mac.

btkadams

Alright, i've put more time into the game now, so I will revise my negativity last night. I've played through the Himalayas, Rocky Mountains, Patagonia, and Siberia now. I still think they have way too many pits in the game. I found Patagonia pretty frustrating, but the descent was really fun. So far, all four descents have been awesome aside from the Himalayas one being a bit annoying with the vision problem (lack of oxygen).

I found the placement of the oxygen tank on R3 to be really awkward. It means you can't use boost or hold down X (for jump) at the same time as using oxygen. I found myself letting go of the left stick and using my left thumb to reach over on the right stick to click it down. It just seems completely stupid. I'm glad it was only required on a couple runs in the campaign though (i'm guessing more in the other modes?). I might have to adopt a better technique though and only use it in the air, since i wouldn't necessarily need to use my right thumb at that point. It's not a huge deal, but it just seems a bit weird.

When the game is going well, it's sooo much fun. It's a shame that the frustrations can be so bad sometimes. I'm nervous for the rest of the campaign because of the complaints on here about visibility and stuff, but so far, i'd say the campaign has been very positive. I was just so annoyed last night at all of the pits. You get used to it, I guess. It doesn't mean they should be there though.

I'll definitely be playing this for a while. The great tracks without the gimmick stuff are classic SSX. I'll be heading into the online modes as soon as I finish the main campaign mode.

cackhyena

So now that I've had time with the full game, I'm only reinforced in my feelings towards wanting a realistic, Skate type snowboarding game. I don't come to these games for that, and I'm not even into the sport, but I'd be down in a heart beat.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Manage to earn a over a million credits on a global event that cost 300k to enter. Satisfying.

I need more rivals on PSN add Name_Generated if you do too.

The game (on PS3) refuses to play some of the songs on my custom soundtracks for some reason, and of course I can't see which ones. Are there some formats or bitrates that don't work? The funny thing is that the PS3 music player plays every track without any problems.

Try getting rid of M4A's and only having MP3's

-PXG-

Getting in the gold bracket is easy. Platinum takes a bit of effort but very doable with a bit of practice and familiarity with the drop. Diamond is just plain stupid.

What character are you guys using anyway? I swore I was going to pick someone new since I've always used Mac in SSX games but here I am, still tricking with Mac.

*bump fists*

Mac all the way. Almost level 7. Always on the look out for better boars, gear and mods.

r.gun

Neo Member
Getting in the gold bracket is easy. Platinum takes a bit of effort but very doable with a bit of practice and familiarity with the drop. Diamond is just plain stupid.

*bump fists*

Mac all the way. Almost level 7. Always on the look out for better boars, gear and mods.

I'm not 100% sure but I think diamond is the top scorer for the event. Either that, or the top 10% or so.

I'm using Ty. I like that most of his dialogue is him pretending to be an airline pilot. I also love that they gave him one of my favorite Viggo (SSX3's Scandinavian) lines. At least I think they did, some of the stuff he says sounds quite familiar.

The first time I used Ty in Explore, a glowing version of his regular suit (#1) showed up in the shop. It looks pretty rad. I love that the glowing suits make the characters look all Tron.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I've been using Kaori. Level 9 right now, halfway to 10 but it takes awhile.

I'm not 100% sure but I think diamond is the top scorer for the event. Either that, or the top 10% or so.

yeah, Diamond is the top person. I've been getting Platinum on most of the trick events, but Diamond is crazy for the free ones. I took some Diamonds earlier on tracks close to finishing with a high pay entry that didn't get too many people, though.

Tokubetsu

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong with the trick events. I'm not duplicating (if I do, I rewind), I'm holding combo down the whole track, I'm getting the x20 multiplier etc etc but my highest trick score, on anything is 26 mill. The closest I've come to that number again is 17 mill on another course. The 26 mill was on Serenity too. I haven't even come close to matching it again either.

soultron

Banned

I'm a Mac guy but I've been using Tane and Alex a lot. Alex mainly because I prefer race events to trick events. I find Mac's dialogue is still fun but he just looks so boring visually now. If I had to choose a favourite visually, Tane takes easily it.

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong with the trick events. I'm not duplicating (if I do, I rewind), I'm holding combo down the whole track, I'm getting the x20 multiplier etc etc but my highest trick score, on anything is 26 mill. The closest I've come to that number again is 17 mill on another course. The 26 mill was on Serenity too. I haven't even come close to matching it again either.

I'm sure the guy with 70M is using a fully maxed out character and board, plus two trick mods (or a trick mod and a combo mod), so that helps. He's probably also abusing the shit out of the course and has an insane number of tricks completed. I'd love to see the run.

Papercuts

Tweak EVERY trick if you aren't, gets you way more points.

I'm sure the guy with 70M is using two trick mods (or a trick mod and a combo mod), so that helps. He's probably also abusing the shit out of the course and has an insane number of tricks completed. I'd love to see the run.

The guy on the top on 360 side is the same person who pulled a 61 million run on bulldog in the demo. Guy is nuts.

Considering the length of Serenity, I'm guessing you could get WAY more than 70 million all things considered. I was happy with a ~140 combo 38 million on Serentiy, but a lot of that was using the rails which shoot you through the track too much.

soultron

Banned
People scoring 70mln are probably doing bail-free runs as well. I'll have to fact-check on Merq, but I think rewinding has some penalty on your combo bonus. I've had bail-free trick runs where I've doubled my score at the finish line with my combo bonus, and then I've had other runs where I've bailed and subsequently barely earned a third of my score as my combo bonus.

soultron

Banned
Tweak EVERY trick if you aren't, gets you way more points.

The guy on the top on 360 side is the same person who pulled a 61 million run on bulldog in the demo. Guy is nuts.

Considering the length of Serenity, I'm guessing you could get WAY more than 70 million all things considered. I was happy with a ~140 combo 38 million on Serentiy, but a lot of that was using the rails which shoot you through the track too much.

Funny thing is that with more forward momentum, he could've kept his multiplier higher with consistency. Watch his multiplier drop (from 16x to 14x) here when he sticks at one spot and nearly goes back uphill.

Also, he's not even using his sig Uber frequently!

Papercuts

People scoring 70mln are probably doing bail-free runs as well. I'll have to fact-check on Merq, but I think rewinding has some penalty on your combo bonus. I've had bail-free trick runs where I've doubled my score at the finish line with my combo bonus, and then I've had other runs where I've bailed and subsequently barely earned a third of my score as my combo bonus.

If you bail on a run there's no reason to not restart. You actually start from 0 from the bail and rewind into a negative amount, but keep the trick amount and multiplier. So if your combo breaks right after you're going to multiply the negative amount and LOSE a ton of points. Even if you trick it to positive again, you lost the huge amount it was at before.

Tokubetsu

If you bail on a run there's no reason to not restart. You actually start from 0 from the bail and rewind into a negative amount, but keep the trick amount and multiplier. So if your combo breaks right after you're going to multiply the negative amount and LOSE a ton of points. Even if you trick it to positive again, you lost the huge amount it was at before.

I'll try a bail free run tonight.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Tane. given the option, i'm obviously gonna pick the brown islander dude.

Purist

Neo Member
I've been loving this game. Perfect mix of tricks, air, grinds, and music. Serenity is my fave. I need some rivals, though I'm not very good at all.

PSN: PuristTPN

Still enjoying the game a lot, but my biggest complaint remains - I absolutely hate more tracks than I love. And that's just a damn shame. The hate stems from a couple of things - forcing idiotic gimmicks just to even compete (oxygen required on the highest drop in the game is such a waste of a peak), and death hole after death hole with caves tossed in that force your jumps directly into walls. That's not fun, EA. It makes it a challenge, but it's artificial challenge. I'll echo others that have said Serenity is far and away the best track in the game. The game needs another 8 or 9 tracks of that quality.

We're all loving Serenity so much, I wonder if there is another track out there just waiting to be discovered. My favorites so far are Serenity, Bulldog, Mornin' Tiger (both in NZ), and The Big Show (Siberia). Seriously, play The Big Show. It's absolutely epic for both race and trick. The other track on that mountain is pretty good too. I LOVE skirting through the small batches of trees on those tracks. Makes you feel like a snowboard ninja.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Thank goodness! Finished the WT. Now to focus on Explore :)
Seriously guys. add me if you haven't

PSN: Danny-kun

We're all loving Serenity so much, I wonder if there is another track out there just waiting to be discovered. My favorites so far are Serenity, Bulldog, Mornin' Tiger (both in NZ), and The Big Show (Siberia). Seriously, play The Big Show. It's absolutely epic for both race and trick. The other track on that mountain is pretty good too. I LOVE skirting through the small batches of trees on those tracks. Makes you feel like a snowboard ninja.

Trickipedia is pretty awesome too.

Well, Siberia in general kicks ass.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, we have the same favorites. Basically the tracks without caves or large, gaping death holes. Alaska and the Alps have some good runs in them as well.

If you throw out all the stupid reverse angle avalanche runs in Alaska there's a lot to like. I love most of the tracks there due to the sheer amount of air you can get and if you hit the jumps properly there's always a pipe to land on for some easy grinding.

Pancho

Qurupancho
If you throw out all the stupid reverse angle avalanche runs in Alaska there's a lot to like. I love most of the tracks there due to the sheer amount of air you can get and if you hit the jumps properly there's always a pipe to land on for some easy grinding.

Yeah, Alaska's pretty cool...except those tracks. I really don't know how am I gonna score a gold on the Trick It events in those. I guess I'll tackle them when I have level 10 characters to just unlock the Gold medals and move on.

soultron

Banned
Going to say it again, when you get a personal best in global events it NEEEEEEDS to automatically update Explore

I disagree with this. Global Events are about setting a one-time score/time/distance that usually has associated restrictions on gear, stuff like no rewinds, or gear level. It also demands that you're consistent and can constantly play at your best.

Explore has no restrictions for gear or gear level, and is about permanence. Explore is potentially a one-time show of skill. If you did well enough in GE, you should be able to repeat that performance -- and potentially do better, given the lack of restrictions -- in Explore!

Tokubetsu

I disagree with this. Global Events are about setting a one-time score/time/distance that usually has associated restrictions on gear, stuff like no rewinds, or gear level. It also demands that you're consistent and can constantly play at your best.

Explore has no restrictions for gear or gear level, and is about permanence. Explore is potentially a one-time show of skill. If you did well enough in GE, you should be able to repeat that performance -- and potentially do better, given the lack of restrictions -- in Explore!

Definitely agreed. Events need to be just that, an event. You going all out, going for broke etc. Explore is more along the lines of your regular baseline. The way it works with your friends list too means you have to totally consistent.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
I'm completely new to the SSX series (And have never played a Tony hawk game) so as I'm playing through the demo right now, everything is new to me and a little confusing. I've read everything in the OP and i think I've got the controls and many of the concepts mostly down.

The thing I was wondering is how do I know what types of tricks to try and pull off in each situation? When do I want to be doing a trick based off grabbing the right or left side of the board? The back or the front of the board? What is the proper way to chain tricks most efficiently?

I'm having a lot of fun so far, but any input is appreciated. I'll take any help I can get.

I completely disagree with this. Ok, so there's gear restrictions sometimes? So what, if you beat your best time it should be noted. Explore is suppose to be indicative of your best time/score/distance of all time and in this state it clearly isn't.

Even if they changed it to how I wanted that wouldn't change the fact that in global events you have to consistently be at your best.

It's like telling an Olympic runner that his 100m dash world record doesn't count because he did it as a contest and if he wants it to count for all time then he must designate it as so outside of any contest. That's just wrong.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I'm completely new to the SSX series (And have never played a Tony hawk game) so as I'm playing through the demo right now, everything is new to me and a little confusing. I've read everything in the OP and i think I've got the controls and many of the concepts mostly down.

The thing I was wondering is how do I know what types of tricks to try and pull off in each situation? When do I want to be doing a trick based off grabbing the right or left side of the board? The back or the front of the board? What is the proper way to chain tricks most efficiently?

I'm having a lot of fun so far, but any input is appreciated. I'll take any help I can get.

As a general rule, you should always flip instead of rotate when doing a trick. Always try to tweak your trick (holding R2). And it's worth a whole lot of points more if you hold one trick while flipping/spinning all the way down until you land, instead of pulling quick little tricks in a single jump.

Trick off of EVERYTHING that you can, not only the marked, big jumps. As long as you can jump off it, you can do a trick.
That's pretty much from the top of my head, I'm sure other, better experienced, forum goers can tell you more.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
No friggin joke I had to have restarted Death Drop 50 times. Finally beat it, whew. FeelsGoodMan!!

Now its time to relax in explore and take my friends cookies er geotags.

Woot! Just reclaimed Diamond from my friend on the "Last to Hit" Mt. Wakefield, New Zealand Race it! global event! 0:50.73 and there's a few places I really messed up in. It was a 1,000,000 credit entry fee though and 41 people joined so I get 7.5+ million credit in return if I can hold this spot.

5 hours left if anyone wants to try and top it, 5 hours left. PS3 version.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Woot! Just reclaimed Diamond from my friend on the "Last to Hit" Mt. Wakefield, New Zealand Race it! global event! 0:50.73 and there's a few places I really messed up in. It was a 1,000,000 credit entry fee though and 41 people joined so I get 7.5+ million credit in return if I can hold this spot.

5 hours left if anyone wants to try and top it, 5 hours left. PS3 version.

What's your PSN name?

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
As a general rule, you should always flip instead of rotate when doing a trick. Always try to tweak your trick (holding R2). And it's worth a whole lot of points more if you hold one trick while flipping/spinning all the way down until you land, instead of pulling quick little tricks in a single jump.

Trick off of EVERYTHING that you can, not only the marked, big jumps. As long as you can jump off it, you can do a trick.
That's pretty much from the top of my head, I'm sure other, better experienced, forum goers can tell you more.

So basically, if I'm going to be getting some big air time:
flips + tweaked trick, and hold that until I land? I guess my problem was trying to pull off as many tricks as possible while I was in the air.

Top Bottom