• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

LaneDS

Damn, haven't been able to pick this up yet due to being stupid busy, but the reactions are all across the board. Kind of curious where I'll end up feeling after getting to try it this weekend.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I guess that google doc list isn't working lol.

I've added a bunch of people and they haven't accepted my friend request.
If your on ps3 and you suck add me. If you are awesome don't bother I've been feeling bad enough with the awesome fuckers already on my friends list.. :lol

Pancho

Qurupancho
Damn, haven't been able to pick this up yet due to being stupid busy, but the reactions are all across the board. Kind of curious where I'll end up feeling after getting to try it this weekend.

Keep your mind open and don't expect it to play JUST like older SSX games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love starting the game and seeing

87,000 earned
58 ghost wins

I cheesed my way to the "place in diamond 10 times" badge by being the only entrant in several different events about 4am this morning lol.

Yeah, I got one just entering a run with a few people that had a steep payin. The diamond was 3 million and I got 8 off a terrible run. I'll try that later tonight to cheese a few more, lol.

Luckily the badge isn't for making diamond in the biggest pot or something, I'll never pull that off.

Sojgat

I have played a lot of this game now and while I find it fun I am finding all the deadly descents stuff to be mostly uninteresting. I just want racing and tricking on good tracks like in the original ssx games. So many drops yet only a handful are any good in my opinion, and none hold a candle to anything in the original SSx or Tricky.

Also the fact that onscreen prompts don't change when you select classic controls is kind of pathetic.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Tip: Start with World Tour, if you get frustrated or you aren't liking, check out Global Events or Explore. The game really shines in the latter two.

Tokubetsu

I love starting the game and seeing

87,000 earned
58 ghost wins

Yeah, I got one just entering a run with a few people that had a steep payin. The diamond was 3 million and I got 8 off a terrible run. I'll try that later tonight to cheese a few more, lol.

Luckily the badge isn't for making diamond in the biggest pot or something, I'll never pull that off.

Yea, nothing quite like taking a day break, come back and seeing your ghost was challenges 25+ times but held.

I swear, I've got more friend requests in the last 3 days, than I have had in all five years I've had XBL

I can't believe this...

I'm actually in first place Diamond Bracket in a Trick Global Event w/ 13MIL and Platinum is way down in 6MIL, lol. It's Vorassay Broken Pass TRICK IT.... Event just ended though, and I banked me some nice Credits lol, would rather not say what it was and have you trick-gods rape me jaja

tm24

I got the withstand 50 attempts at your records when the only course i had done was Home Run. That track is a bitch.

Holy crap I just daimoned the shit out fo Bear Claws Global Trick it with a few moments left. YESSSS I think Im getting the hang of tricking now.

finally I can probably now enjoy a whole other half of the game I wasnt touching! :D

JackEtc

Just finished my first session and knocked out 3 deadly descents. Fuckin' LOVING it so far. Can't wait to throw together a nice playlist for the game, too.

Character stats are silly, they should all be equal so you could base your selection off aesthetics/personality. After getting one character to level 10 and switching to another since it'd be better for racing, the lack of speed bores me. Level 10 type speed is a rush.

Character stats are silly, they should all be equal so you could base your selection off aesthetics/personality. After getting one character to level 10 and switching to another since it'd be better for racing, the lack of speed bores me. Level 10 type speed is a rush.

If you use a board with max speed, your character's speed attribute won't stack on top of that. Same with the other stats.

If you use a board with max speed, your character's speed attribute won't stack on top of that. Same with the other stats.
Then I assume that applies with mods too. How do I tell if I achieved max in one stat so I know not to buy mods anymore? (assuming my board isn't max speed but one of my perks gives me max speed so I don't need to use another speed mod)

Lunchbox

Banned
Antarctica/Africa single handedly soured me on this game, im done

this was reaching game of the year candidate for me before reaching those regions. now im thinking of returning it.

the best part about the game is the wide open mountains with several routes with huge jumps with multiple combo points near the bottom and transitioning jump points........so i guess some genius thought putting everyone in a fucking closed dark cave and a barren wasteland with constant death traps around every corner must be the way to go. BRILLIANT IDEA man, Level designer of the year

Sojgat

the best part about the game is the wide open mountains with several routes with huge jumps with multiple combo points near the bottom and transitioning jump points........who i guess some genius thought putting everyone in a fucking dark cave and a barren wasteland with constant death traps around every corner must be the way to go. BRILLIANT IDEA man, Level designer of the year

I agree. None of the new features added in the game are an improvement on the originals. I feel like it is getting way too much praise just for getting the basic mechanics right.

Then I assume that applies with mods too. How do I tell if I achieved max in one stat so I know not to buy mods anymore? (assuming my board isn't max speed but one of my perks gives me max speed so I don't need to use another speed mod)

Make sure the bar is maxed. The non-maxed part can be a little dark so look carefully. Though if you're level 10 then just use any specific stat board (speed/rocket/tricks) and you should be maxed.

edit - sorry for double post.

My #1 feature request for this game is a skip music track button. Or even an option in the pause menu. Even with a custom soundtrack sometimes the game doesn't do such a hot job of randomizing and I end up hearing the same song or two again and again.

JaseMath

Gave up on Dead Zone after failing at it for an hour. I don't know why everyone is all hype on that event - It's basically a culmination of everything that's wrong with the game in a single, frustrating run.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I'm frustrated right now, but I completely get why some reviewers scored this game so low. The amount of bonehead design decisions dwarfs the small flashes of brilliance by a factor of 1,000. I still stick to saying it's fun, but honestly I haven't been this outright frustrated with anything in a long, long time.

LaneDS

Tip: Start with World Tour, if you get frustrated or you aren't liking, check out Global Events or Explore. The game really shines in the latter two.

Sounds like a plan; thanks for the recommendation.

I enjoyed the demo once I came to grips with the fact it was a new brand of SSX, so I imagine I'll end up liking the final product too (though the DD discussion is still worrisome). Does the retail version have the same pre-wind spin rotation regardless of whether you're using classic or standard controls?

Gave up on Dead Zone after failing at it for an hour. I don't know why everyone is all hype on that even - It's basically a culmination of everything that's wrong with the game in a single, frustrating run.

I feel like most of the frustration with that descent would be alleviated if the game let you choose your own gear. For pulse goggles, specifically.

Grisby

Wow, i just suck so bad. It it doesn't seem like there are a lot of trick to pull off but practice deus are kicking my ass. Also, the controls don't feel so tight and I'm slamming into everything.

It's exhilarating and I want to learn more.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ok I love Survive Its. Even the Pulse Goggle shit I hated in World Tour is fun because I got lvl 9 gogs that make it so I can actually see shit. It's challenging but it doesn't feel unfair.

Whichever course in the Alps that is just a really thin ridgeline is awesome. Gets my blood pumping.

Hale-XF11

Alright, just completed WT, made Death Zone my bitch and now I'm playing a global Trick It event (with no rewinds) in Serenity and it's total bliss.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about pits. We get it, you don't like them. Don't play them, there are plenty of non-pitful tracks if you want to do that. Some people here actually really enjoy the tracks with bottomless pits though (shock!)

And you'll never know what the majority thinks because some internet forum can't possibly represent everyone equally. But it doesn't matter what you prefer, this game has stuff for everyone.

I'm tired of hearing people complain about pits. We get it, you don't like them. Don't play them, there are plenty of non-pitful tracks if you want to do that. Some people here actually really enjoy the tracks with bottomless pits though (shock!)

And you'll never know what the majority thinks because some internet forum can't possibly represent everyone equally. But it doesn't matter what you prefer, this game has stuff for everyone.

I agree that's why I said there should be even more. My ideal SSX course would actually be just a series of bottomless pits. Maybe they'll come out with something like that for DLC.

Papercuts

Got 16 Million on Corkscrew in Africa...infuriating level for tricking. Completely random jumps into lava pits + other jumps into cave roofs = not fun.

Gave up on Dead Zone after failing at it for an hour. I don't know why everyone is all hype on that event - It's basically a culmination of everything that's wrong with the game in a single, frustrating run.

EDIT: Maybe it's because I'm frustrated right now, but I completely get why some reviewers scored this game so low. The amount of bonehead design decisions dwarfs the small flashes of brilliance by a factor of 1,000. I still stick to saying it's fun, but honestly I haven't been this outright frustrated with anything in a long, long time.

So much this. The sheer amount of dumb design decisions make the game feel disappointing for me sometimes. Maybe I just haven't been doing multiplayer/explore enough.

I agree that's why I said there should be even more. My ideal SSX course would actually be just a series of bottomless pits. Maybe they'll come out with something like that for DLC.
you're cool bro

Plus drops like that already exists. The Monster on Chomo in the Himalayas is one of the favorite drops in the game!

Stat!

I'm still on the fence and I keep reading this thread/watching videos to entice me even more but I also have exams next week.

My fear is 1) lack of friends and 2) friends who do play this will stop when ME3 comes out in 2 weeks.

btkadams

i'm actually shocked if people really enjoy the tracks with all of the bottomless pits. was it fun resetting constantly on your first run down them? i guess i just suck at games then.

the rest of the game is ace though.

i'm actually shocked if people really enjoy the tracks with all of the bottomless pits. was it fun resetting constantly on your first run down them? i guess i just suck at games then.

the rest of the game is ace though.
It was fun the first time taking it slow and trying to find my line then mastering it at blazing speeds!

What I did is take them to explore with a ton of rewinds and learn it. Once you learn some of these harder tracks though when you go and race them the rush is like no other. But honestly if you're not going to race or survive them I can't imagine tricking on these tracks to be very fun, but I haven't tried it.

I like that one helicopter that has all those ssx references like boards from the old games, mercury city meltdown written on a wall, and even a drawing of Ellise from an old PSM mag

Papercuts

Long Horn trick it in Antartica was even worse than the Africa level. Holy shit so many stupid holes out of nowhere, actually covered by small hills of snow all over, thinking you're able to jump. Nope!

Go read a different thread. We talk about the good and the fucking lame here. Death pits are an idiotic design decision.

I think certain kinds of pits are OK, like if it's a cliff edge that is clearly defined and there's plenty of room to the side to avoid it. It adds an element of danger without feeling random or cheap.

But crap like the random ass pits right smack in the middle of Evil Genius (I think that's the one) that you can't see beforehand are fucking bullshit.

Papercuts

LOL, oh wow...154,059m on this survival event for Diamond in Critical Mass. Definitely the easiest one in the game, but that guy has no life to do it 90 times in a session. Goddamn.

vesp

As someone that loved the older ones, I am completely mystified by how little I like this one so far. Picked it up from redbox and put 30 or 45 mins into it and it just feels completely wrong to me. Kinda looks assy too.

Will give it another hour or so later to see if I warm up to it, but I'm pretty glad I didn't take the day one plunge so far.

Top Bottom