• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Fantastical

Death Prophet
You've gotta remember that those are quite literally the best players in the world right now.

If you're only pulling off scores of 10 million, chances are you just don't know the trick system well enough yet.

Let me dig up two posts to help you:

Trick tips

Trick system breakdown by StrikerObi

Hope this helps you out!

I was going to comment on one of your tips about boosting. Isn't it a good idea to boost a lot at the beginning of a track to increase your Flow combo rate?

soultron

Banned
I was going to comment on one of your tips about boosting. Isn't it a good idea to boost a lot at the beginning of a track to increase your Flow combo rate?

As long as you're not going super slow, doing tricks should increase your multiplier and keep it at 20x. Unless I've got this wrong.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
As long as you're not going super slow, doing tricks should increase your multiplier and keep it at 20x. Unless I've got this wrong.

Okay, I'm definitely no expert, so you're probably right.

Also for those using classic controls, grinding on terrain is completely fucked. You have to use triangle and hold it down and if you try to wind up a jump (which I usually do at the end of a grind) about 70% of the time I hit the circle button initiating rewind. SO ANNOYING.

casabolg

Banned
So I don't know if this was already mentioned but I'm very interested in the fact that the SSX name changed from "Snowboard Super Cross" to "Snowboard, Surfing, Motorcross". It gives a massive implication of the future of the SSX series. It's backed up by the three co-founders all having backgrounds in each sport as well (Mac in snowboarding, Tane in surfing, and Zoe in Motocross).

Imagine if SSX had a motocross and surfing spin off and each numbered SSX was a snowboarding game. Each game having reoccurring characters, elements, and was released akin to how Call of Duty is (Snowboarding team releases a game one year, surfing game team next year, motocross the year after that, and back to snowboarding the fourth year).
EA could make SSX their own Call of Duty but, you know, actually have some challenge.

If that happens I put all my money on the surfing game being the least popular.

What you guys think about this potentially happening?

After a little (most likely incomplete) research here's a good idea on the reoccurring characters:

Zoe - Known for Motocross. Shown in surfing garb when coercing Tane to join SSX though.
Tane - Pro Surfer. Obvious.
Moby - BMX rider. Motocross wouldn't be a stretch.
Brodi - Surfer. He's basically Tane so if they do add him they need to do something with his character.
Psymon - Big into motorcycles come the new SSX but he was known to ride bikes and do crazy stuff in the previous ones. Only in flavor text, of course.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So I don't know if this was already mentioned but I'm very interested in the fact that the SSX name changed from "Snowboard Super Cross" to "Snowboard, Surfing, Motorcross". It gives a massive implication of the future of the SSX series. It's backed up by the three co-founders all having backgrounds in each sport as well (Mac in snowboarding, Tane in surfing, and Zoe in Motocross).

Imagine if SSX had a motocross and surfing spin off and each numbered SSX was a snowboarding game. Each game having reoccurring characters, elements, and was released akin to how Call of Duty is (Snowboarding team releases a game one year, surfing game team next year, motocross the year after that, and back to snowboarding the fourth year).
EA could make SSX their own Call of Duty but, you know, actually have some challenge.

vd2wh.jpg

I'm all in favor of bringing back the EA BIG type of franchises but I'd rather not go 3 years in between true SSX games.

FHIZ

So, I just need to confirm this, incase I'm missing something, is there really no way to turn off stuff like Oxygen requirements on Mt. Everest? Even in custom events? If so, man that's dumb. Guess I'll never play Mt. Everest again until they patch that option in.

kinberg

Neo Member
Got this today (release day in Sweden). Put a few hours in and I really like it so far.
The gameplay is solid and the controls are finely tuned, only part were I started to have problems were the avalanche maps. Guess that's just something I need to get used to.

Another thing that's bothering me is that not a single person on my friends list is playing this yet. So if anyone wanna add me to their list just to compare scores and whatnot feel free to do so.

Gamertag:
ALifeWellWasted

Jamie OD

Makes me think EA never should have gotten rid of the EA Sports BIG brand. The period where they released Def Jam Vendetta, NBA Street Vol. 2 and SSX 3 was a pretty darn good time for my gaming habits. Kind of reached its peak by then though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So, I just need to confirm this, incase I'm missing something, is there really no way to turn off stuff like Oxygen requirements on Mt. Everest? Even in custom events? If so, man that's dumb. Guess I'll never play Mt. Everest again until they patch that option in.

No there isn't. Quite a waste of maybe the most famous mountain on the planet.

Codeblew

It will always be Snowboard Super Cross to me. EA can take their name change and stuff it. I couldn't care less about surfing or motocross. Well maybe they could pull off something non-sucky with motocross. Surfing? Lol.....

Dartastic

Seriously? Man, that's stupid. I don't really like a lot of the requirements in certain tracks. I like the wingsuit, but that's the only one that I've really dug so far. :/

This and Binary Domain finally came through Gamefly. Fucking ME3 and SFxT next week, I think I might have to take a month off.

So I can use custom tracks on PS3? Fucking stoked.

FHIZ

No there isn't. Quite a waste of maybe the most famous mountain on the planet.

Ugh, I thought so. I REALLY hope they patch an option to turn that nonsense off, that and the sunlight/heat. There other stipulations, whatever, those just impede the key of the SSX franchise as a whole: fun.

JaseMath

I feel that pain bro. Babysitting O2 levels is not fun... especially when you're trying to boost, trick, and navigate terrain at the same time. Whoever thought this was a good idea... *sigh*

Xander51

It will always be Snowboard Super Cross to me. EA can take their name change and stuff it. I couldn't care less about surfing or motocross. Well maybe they could pull off something non-sucky with motocross. Surfing? Lol.....

The name change is really goofy and feels like a blatant marketing-team move. That said, if it leads to a regular return/expansion of the franchise, I could live with it.

I feel that pain bro. Babysitting O2 levels is not fun... especially when you're trying to boost, trick, and navigate terrain at the same time. Whoever thought this was a good idea... *sigh*
Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if the lower you got on the mountain, the less O2 you needed.

casabolg

Banned
vd2wh.jpg

I'm all in favor of bringing back the EA BIG type of franchises but I'd rather not go 3 years in between true SSX games.

The longer they have to work on it, the more they can get out of a sequel.
It's better than getting cookie cutter sequels again and again.

casabolg

Banned

After a little (most likely incomplete) research here's a good idea on the reoccurring characters:

Zoe - Known for Motocross. Shown in surfing garb when coercing Tane to join SSX though.
Tane - Pro Surfer. Obvious.
Moby - BMX rider. Motocross wouldn't be a stretch.
Brodi - Surfer. He's basically Tane so if they do add him they need to do something with his character.
Psymon - Big into motorcycles come the new SSX but he was known to ride bikes and do crazy stuff in the previous ones. Only in flavor text, of course.

Just want you guys to know I updated the post with some possible reoccuring characters.
Honestly I've never played a surfing game so I have no idea how they will be able to handle it.

soultron

Banned

I dunno, man. I'm gonna call you crazy on this one. I think it's just a bit of retconning done by Sean Smillie (SSX lore and character guy, creator of DJ Atomika, etc.) to facilitate Team SSX being a team of snowboarders being from different sporting backgrounds. It's just a minor lore thing. The story in this game is really just a window dressing on the tutorial mode (World Tour) to encourage players to get through it, in my opinion.

It's a fun idea to toss around, SSX going in different directions and whatnot, but I feel there are too many teams that do MX games right now (and it's a wonder how they're still making MX vs. ATV games...) for EA to bother with it. And how would you make a surfing game interesting or as intense as SSX? (RIP Kelly Slater's Pro Surfing!)

The team wants to do SSX as a snowboarding game. They're very keen on this being the return of the franchise, at least from what I've heard from them.

That being said, if what you're saying turns out to be true, I'm all for it. I wouldn't turn it down.

casabolg

Banned
I dunno, man. I'm gonna call you crazy on this one. I think it's just a bit of retconning done by Sean Smillie (SSX lore and character guy, creator of DJ Atomika, etc.) to facilitate Team SSX being a team of snowboarders being from different sporting backgrounds. It's just a minor lore thing. The story in this game is really just a window dressing on the tutorial mode (World Tour) to encourage players to get through it, in my opinion.

It's a fun idea to toss around, SSX going in different directions and whatnot, but I feel there are too many teams that do MX games right now (and it's a wonder how they're still making MX vs. ATV games...) for EA to bother with it. And how would you make a surfing game interesting or as intense as SSX? (RIP Kelly Slater's Pro Surfing!)

The team wants to do SSX as a snowboarding game. They're very keen on this being the return of the franchise, at least from what I've heard from them.

Fair enough. It was just a thought.
The lore bit seems very strange despite. They had Brodi, Zoe, and Moby well before the name change and it was never questioned so it's strange to start now.

bradigor

If SSX is to become a franchise in the same way Need For Speed is now, then the next game had better be Freakstyle.

Pure is the closest to matching that for me, I really enjoyed Freakstyle.

Jamie OD

Fair enough. It was just a thought.
The lore bit seems very strange despite. They had Brodi, Zoe, and Moby well before the name change and it was never questioned so it's strange to start now.

The new origin for the SSX name is a fair point to bring up. I would have had the same idea as you if I didn't know about it already. Something to open up connections to a new extreme sports game, even if its just to throw an SSX character in there as shoutout or easter egg.

bryehn

Imagine if SSX had a motocross and surfing spin off and each numbered SSX was a snowboarding game.

Last gen they had Freekstyle, Sled Storm and some car game that all basically used the SSX formula. Freekstyle was awesome.

Codeblew

The name change is really goofy and feels like a blatant marketing-team move. That said, if it leads to a regular return/expansion of the franchise, I could live with it.

True. I would love regular SSX's to come out. One of my favorite franchises of all time.

I don't know what this trial-and-error platforming bullshit called World Tour was, but it wasn't SSX. The worst single-player mode in any SSX game, ever.

The good news is that the game is as awesome and addictive as I expected, once you forget the idiotic Super Meat Boy tracks and start exploring or doing global events. Even some of the DDs were tolerable or even somewhat enjoyable, though Thin Air/Darkness/Whiteout can go die in one of the 37 bazillion bottomless pits. Wingsuit flying is fun.

The game (on PS3) refuses to play some of the songs on my custom soundtracks for some reason, and of course I can't see which ones. Are there some formats or bitrates that don't work? The funny thing is that the PS3 music player plays every track without any problems.

soultron

Banned
Nice. I need to outfit everyone with a wingsuit now.

Why not just use a character who has a wingsuit bonus? Elise is the person with the biggest built-in wingsuit bonus, IIRC.

At level 10, she loses this bonus. You could avoid spending money on other peoples' wingsuits until all of your characters are level 10, if you think about it.

Just a thought.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Serenity is the best and most intense SSX trick course I've ever played. Trying to keep your combo throughout the whole track is just beyond anything I've played in this franchise.

I'm still having trouble keeping my combo up. I was curious, does using your boost make your combo go away faster? I always find myself boosting towards a jump and by the time I get there my combo is gone.

DeFrank

I'm still having trouble keeping my combo up. I was curious, does using your boost make your combo go away faster? I always find myself boosting towards a jump and by the time I get there my combo is gone.

Boost while holding X or B (on 360) and your combo will continue indefinitely I'm pretty sure.

soultron

Banned

Board press to maintain your combo on flat land. A more advanced technique is to do grab tricks on flat land between kickers/jumps.

Why not just use a character who has a wingsuit bonus? Elise is the person with the biggest built-in wingsuit bonus, IIRC.

At level 10, she loses this bonus. You could avoid spending money on other peoples' wingsuits until all of your characters are level 10, if you think about it.

Just a thought.
Being stuck to one character personally isn't how I play SSX games. I have a few favorites and like to switch between them, may as well try to get them all my favorite piece of gear as well. I mean Mac's headlamp is only going to come in handy on so many tracks.

JaseMath

Serenity is the best and most intense SSX trick course I've ever played. Trying to keep your combo throughout the whole track is just beyond anything I've played in this franchise.

Serenity is easily the best course in the game (from what I've played - still have yet to see NZ). I wish all the courses were that inspired. Can't wait to get into diamond tier there.

Top Bottom