• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There's some advantage to switching tricks in the air? Or none at all?

There's not. Holding a trick gets it to Huge and Massive, which are worth more along with the spins/flips. The multiplier doesn't even go up unless a trick hits huge IIRC.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh, so spin and flip with one trick only is better than switching mid flight? I always thought including more than one grab would be better than holding one through the entire flight? If so, then my scores should go up starting tonight.
KuGsj.gif

bs000

I've had that happen with that particular event also. It's not that its not saved, its that its not displayed. I ran through the Serenity Global Event and it showed that I had not beaten my previous score. It's pretty annoying to say the least.

It just happened to me on every event I entered. When I go back to it, it charges me the drop fee again. Not cool when I've entered a 1 mil and a 400k event :|. Now I'm just hoping I'll still get my credits when they end.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Huh, so spin and flip with one trick only is better than switching mid flight? I always thought including more than one grab would be better than holding one through the entire flight? If so, then my scores should go up starting tonight.
KuGsj.gif

Works the same in the old games which I only figured out last year. Smh...

Grisby

So any tips for a guy who's never touched SSX in his life (heat of the moment purchase)?

Last snowboarding game for me was 1080' on the 64.

bluehat9

Was addicted to the Serenity Race It event, but still couldn't get near a good time no matter which character I used, lol.

Looking for friends/rivals who aren't really gods at the game. PSN name is bluehat9, please send me a request (I guess you could send a request just to laugh and blow my scores away too if you wanted to too).

Pancho

Qurupancho
Was addicted to the Serenity Race It event, but still couldn't get near a good time no matter which character I used, lol.

Looking for friends/rivals who aren't really gods at the game. PSN name is bluehat9, please send me a request (I guess you could send a request just to laugh and blow my scores away too if you wanted to too).

Naw man, everyone starts somewhere, good scores are great motivation to get better
I'll add you.

Tokubetsu

Okay so yea, perfect runs was basically what I was missing. I hit a *near* perfect serenity run and my score went from 26 mill to 32 mill and that was with losing my combo at one point, and a couple dupes.

This too, The good times I have in races, are out of a complete fluke, I don't know the exact balance between tricking and finding a good line.
Racing is my favorite branch in this game. The trick is to get Tricky ASAP and hold it. Use ground tricks (square and circle) to maintain tricky. Avoid rails since they slow you down but sometimes they shortcut a path in which case take them.

Also stay on the snow as much as possible. Boosting on snow is faster than boosting on ice which is faster than boosting on a rail which is a lot faster than sitting in the air not boosting. To give off a rail quickly tap L2 and the left stick simultaneously. And a board with good boost is better than one with good speed.

The real secret to tricking is doing a bunch of small tricks at the beginning to get a x5 multiplier or better.

This is so true. On the trick run that starts immediately at the dam I was getting my super tricky up fast but my multiplier was low and even doing a super uber and holding it while dropping off the dam I wasn't getting many points. Instead I just got the multiplier up and did a regular trick off the dam and got many more points.

Racing, that reminds me...

I'm complete ass at racing. Any general tips?

Hit as many flares as possible, and most importantly learn the art of jumping just before a ramp to avoid getting lift. You should be doing line-drives off of jumps, and not pop-ups.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Racing is my favorite branch in this game. Keeps are to get Tricky ASAP and hold it. Use ground tricks (square and circle) to maintain tricky. Avoid rails since they slow you down but sometimes they shortcut a path in which case take them.

Also stay on the snow as much as possible. Boosting on snow is faster than boosting on ice which is faster than boosting on a rail which is a lot faster than sitting in the air not boosting. To give off a rail quickly tap L2 and the left stick simultaneously. And a board with good boost is better than one with good speed.

Awesome tips, thanks man. Will give it a go later or tommorow.

Tokubetsu

Does the audio settings, between Home Theatre & TV even make a difference? I'm sure it's probably something to do with the dynamic range but I don't notice any difference between them. Changes might not be drastic.

Does boost increase speed while boosting or how easy it is to build boost? I've been using a lv10 epic speed board for races.
Pretty sure speed is how fast your board is and boost is a multiplier to that speed, but it easily out weighs speed. I find I boost is about 2-3 speed in value (when deciding your board) if you can stay in tricky state the whole time.

Downside to boost boards is they move slow on rails, even while boosting.

I haven't had enough time on Global Events, but what feels like 90% of the community being on one run (Serenity) should send a message to the devs, right? That map is easily the best in the game for a variety of reasons.

More Serenity, less death pits please.

KrawlMan

I'm starting to hate the helicopters. All too often I have a great jump lined up and pre-loaded to have that rotational speed plummet mid-air because of a damn helicopter in my way.

I haven't had enough time on Global Events, but what feels like 90% of the community being on one run (Serenity) should send a message to the devs, right? That map is easily the best in the game for a variety of reasons.

More Serenity, less death pits please.
Serenity is free and lasts for 1 week, lots of other ones have expensive entry fees and restart every few minutes/hours. Of course Serenity has the most people.

-PXG-

Bail free/ 100+ trick combo runs are the only way to go. That's how I'm getting my Platinum ranks. I still don't know how people are getting these immense Diamond scores though.

Bail free/ 100+ trick combo runs are the only way to go. That's how I'm getting my Platinum ranks. I still don't know how people are getting these immense Diamond scores though.

Yeah. My Serenity run for the global event was really solid, with only 2 duplicate tricks and 140+ trick combo, and I only got 51 mil and platinum.

george_us

Only played an hour but I didn't really like what I played. Controls feel a bit imprecise, the track design is uninspired, and the game is a lot grittier than I thought it would be. No visual charisma at all compared to the earlier SSX games. Glad I only payed $20 for it.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I guess that google doc list isn't working lol.

I've added a bunch of people and they haven't accepted my friend request.

I think it's just easier to just ask around in the thread, the people who are most actively playing are the ones posting (like myself)

If you're on the PS3, feel free to add me, my PSN name is on my GAF public profile.

Top Bottom