• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I'd like to see a bit of expanded functionality with the music selection. Specifically the ability to create playlists for each separate mode from the in-game tracks, as well as play the deadly descent tracks in normal gameplay.

I think certain kinds of pits are OK, like if it's a cliff edge that is clearly defined and there's plenty of room to the side to avoid it. It adds an element of danger without feeling random or cheap.

But crap like the random ass pits right smack in the middle of Evil Genius (I think that's the one) that you can't see beforehand are fucking bullshit.

When I refer to death pits, I don't mean the obvious ones. Those existed in older games too. It was obvious where they were and they weren't cheap. There's far too many cheap holes in this damn game, which is a shame because it ruins too many tracks. The reliance upon caves filled with death holes to add difficulty is just lazy, and quite honestly not very fun to play.

But there were tons of death pits in the original game. Watch a youtube of Aloha Ice Jam if you don't believe me.

I don't need a video. I remember Aloha Jam very well. I loved that track, and those holes weren't hidden. This game isn't terrible, but it's also not tremendous, which it definitely had the potential to be. I can agree with the negative reviews as well as the positive reviews. It's just that kind of game.

When I refer to death pits, I don't mean the obvious ones. Those existed in older games too. It was obvious where they were and they weren't cheap. There's far too many cheap holes in this damn game, which is a shame because it ruins too many tracks. The reliance upon caves filled with death holes to add difficulty is just lazy, and quite honestly not very fun to play.

I don't need a video. I remember Aloha Jam very well. I loved that track, and those holes weren't hidden. This game isn't terrible, but it's also not tremendous, which it definitely had the potential to be. I can agree with the negative reviews as well as the positive reviews. It's just that kind of game.

I know what you mean and there were some other tracks that had hidden holes I think it was either Mesa Blanca or Elysium Alps.

Yeah I don't think I've played a game with such high highs and low lows as this one. Serenity, Bulldog, Beyond the Fall? Game of the year contender. Evil Genius, Route Zero, Red Light? One of the worst gaming experiences I've had in recent memory.

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah death pits suck. I also hate levels that are dark and gloomy where I can't see shit. Give me the bright sunny levels any day.

Try getting rid of M4A's and only having MP3's

I have AAC tracks that are playing just fine, but there might be some iTunes store stuff with a different container or something. I'll have to check and test some more; still, it's weird that the PS3 player outside of the game works with all tracks.

Vespene

When I refer to death pits, I don't mean the obvious ones. Those existed in older games too. It was obvious where they were and they weren't cheap.

Death pits wouldn't be a problem if the game teleported you back to the track when you went of course. In fact, looking through my old SSX replays, some of the best runs I ended up going off course a few times. It's like NASCAR race, accidents will happen. How the game responds to them is the main issue. Immediate failure due to lack or uselessness of rewinds does not amount to a fun experience.

Whenever someone brings up the "well just play explore mode" line, it's like saying "close your eyes and imagine it's Katy Perry" when fucking Hillary Clinton.

I find the element of death a bit of a blemish on an otherwise amazing game. The addition of race-ending pits was not a good idea, but it's just not enough to sour my opinion on the game as a whole. I pretty much adore it outside of that particular element of its design.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SSX is about breakdancing down a mountain. The death pits and other new gimmicks only serve to get in the way of that.

Go read a different thread. We talk about the good and the fucking lame here. Death pits are an idiotic design decision.

Subjective opinion.

I'm honestly shocked by this statement. They are terrible.

Another subjective opinion.

SSX is about breakdancing down a mountain. The death pits and other new gimmicks only serve to get in the way of that.
It only adds a challenge. I'm break dancing over death pits, what have you?

Tawpgun

Death pits wouldn't be a problem if the game teleported you back to the track when you went of course. In fact, looking through my old SSX replays, some of the best runs I ended up going off course a few times. It's like NASCAR race, accidents will happen. How the game responds to them is the main issue. Immediate failure due to lack or uselessness of rewinds does not amount to a fun experience.

Whenever someone brings up the "well just play explore mode" line, it's like saying "close your eyes and imagine it's Katy Perry" when fucking Hillary Clinton.

This.

I'm fine with bottomless pits. But don't like how you have to rewind out of them....

Yesterday was my second day playing this game. Gave up on World Tour mode and entered Explorer mode. Finally I can be my favourite character and actually manage to complete races. It's much easier with mods and being able to choose your own races. Why did the fuck up the main "story mode" so bad?!

This.

I'm fine with bottomless pits. But don't like how you have to rewind out of them....
Respawns removes the challenge. If they want to make it so it's a host selected option that's fine, but I like the obstacles being instant disqualification. It's not hard once you learn the course, but the key thing there is you have to learn the course. You can't mindlessly go full speed off the biggest jump you see with no care for the angle you launch at.

Don't really see what the problem is though, if you don't like having extra challenges in your games a large amount of drops feature no obstacles.

Are all you going to do here is tell people that their opinions are opinions?
Yup :)
Maybe it'll get them to stop stating it like a fact. Just maybe.

InertiaXr

So you are saying 'hey it's just an opinion man' here:

But before that in the same exact post you say you don't understand how he has the opinion that he does??
Don't really see what the problem is though

I'm confused here, do you see the cognitive dissonance, or is it just me?

I feel like I'm getting trolled somehow

Hale-XF11

Maaaaaaan, I am positively, absolutely hooked on this game. Played all night long and now I'm beat. Got platinum in a global Trick It event and gold in a bunch of other events, so I'm feeling pretty good about all that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Respawns removes the challenge. If they want to make it so it's a host selected option that's fine, but I like the obstacles being instant disqualification. It's not hard once you learn the course, but the key thing there is you have to learn the course. You can't mindlessly go full speed off the biggest jump you see with no care for the angle you launch at.

Don't really see what the problem is though, if you don't like having extra challenges in your games a large amount of drops feature no obstacles.

It's typically not challenging, it's cheap. I wish I was recording some of the runs I had earlier, stuff like jumping off a rail, hitting and sliding the board off a roof of a cave, having the camera freak out and follow me from the back as normal as I rode the wall downward...directly into a small crevice of lava. The rewind penalty was huge because I had no idea there was a hole under me, and it was extremely hard to prevent. It might get less annoying after learning the track, but there's so many routes to take that either way you mix it up, it's easy to be tricking off the map(which is heavily encouraged) and go right to a death hole. Just straightup being able to die off the sides is fine, but a lot of the tracks have holes in the center that are completely hidden. I was doing Long Horn in Antartica earlier, it's basically a cave full of tons of paths and death holes. I thought I died multiple times that ended up being huge drops into more track that ramped, while other times I thought I had a path and it was death. They have little bumps of snow all over which is incredibly important to build multiplier, but at some segments these bumps are actually right before(and BLOCKING) jumps that go over pits, so you go directly into them.

It's probably not nearly as annoying in race(which IIRC you were mainly playing), because the tracks are very linearly showing paths to beeline down, usually with railings that go over all these cliffs. But tricking on them is a complete nightmare, and a random hole at the end of a track can completely ruin a run. I wouldn't mind way less than 150 drops if it meant they weren't forcing trick events on things that really aren't fun to trick.

Vespene

It's probably not nearly as annoying in race(which IIRC you were mainly playing), because the tracks are very linearly showing paths to beeline down, usually with railings that go over all these cliffs.

The worst races are the ones were they retrofit a survival course to race in.

Nyx

Finally was able to play the retail game last night, and man it's awesome!

Even the first two Deadly Descents in World Tour were tons of fun, I don't get any of the hate, yet.

Now a long day of work before I can get back into snowboarding again.

OK I'm just hot garbage at racing. Can't even gold JT2. Need some questions answered

1. Spec for speed or boost? And why?

2. How do you handle kickers?

3. How to you handle small powder mounds like in the beginning of JT2?

3. How do you keep Tricky alive? Manual constantly or no?

4. How do you deal with the game's extremely loose handling to stick to a line?

5. Any other general tips?

Will add more if I can think of them. I can easily gold any non-hazard trick event with double the gold score (assuming I can make it down the mountain : p) so I feel that I understand the game mechanics. But something about racing doesn't click with me.

Natural

Played it a bit last night, did the first three tutorials which I thought was cool. I changed my button config back to classic but I HATE having the rewind button on B. I naturally press the B button for tricks so hopefully I'll stop doing that.

Think I'll jump in to the Global Events later once I get used to the game.

So far so good though!

Nyx

This soundtrack to SSX is probably one of the best I've heard. I just love it. Anybody know if it's up for retail?

I played 10 minutes with the OST enabled, then pressed pauze and ripped my own music to the 360 before playing again.

Terrible music, just terrible...
But taste is personal ofc.

OK I'm just hot garbage at racing. Can't even gold JT2. Need some questions answered

1. Spec for speed or tricks? And why?

2. How do you handle kickers?

3. How to you handle small powder mounds like in the beginning of JT2?

3. How do you keep Tricky alive? Manual constantly or no?

4. How do you deal with the game's extremely loose handling to stick to a line?

5. Any other general tips?

Will add more if I can think of them. I can easily gold any non-hazard trick event with double the gold score (assuming I can make it down the mountain : p) so I feel that I understand the game mechanics. But something about racing doesn't click with me.

1 - spec for speed/boost. Because it's smart

2 - Pre-wind a forward or reverse flip and release it right before you hit it. You dont want to be sent upwards ever

3 - manuals and hitting flares

4 - you just need to accept that the controls will never be tight and then just do the best you can

5 - go really fast

Mornin' Tiger in New Zealand is AWESOME. My new favorite with Serenity.

Hell yes. Great track. The entire first section and where it connects to the dam are AMAZINGLY fun. Love love love that track.

Go back to the Serenity Trick It event to improve my score. See Diamond is now at 133 million. Slowly back away....

I seriously have no earthly idea how to get up in the 60m-100m score range. Insane.

I wouldn't mind way less than 150 drops if it meant they weren't forcing trick events on things that really aren't fun to trick.

I'd take 30 painstakingly developed and tested Serenitys, and Mornin' Tigers over the 150 drops that we have currently. Too much fat in the game IMO where more work could've gone into each track individually to really make them great, and stand out from one another....and to remove 95% of the death pits cause they suck...so does the cold weather thing, and the oxygen mask. Terrible design choices that keep me away from tracks I would otherwise enjoy.

As someone that loved the older ones, I am completely mystified by how little I like this one so far. Picked it up from redbox and put 30 or 45 mins into it and it just feels completely wrong to me. Kinda looks assy too.

This.

I beat four of the nine deadly descents and I really don't enjoy this SSX. I hate this survival shit.

At least the soundtrack is good.

1 - spec for speed/boost. Because it's smart

2 - Pre-wind a forward or reverse flip and release it right before you hit it. You dont want to be sent upwards ever

3 - manuals and hitting flares

4 - you just need to accept that the controls will never be tight and then just do the best you can

5 - go really fast

thanks

I'm dumb. Question 1 should have been: Spec for speed or boost? lol

And just got the "survive 4 runs with no rewinds or gear" and "survive 5 runs" badges on Intrepid. whooooo

Tokubetsu

Nothing beats coming back to a "While You Were Away" global event win worth 1.9 mill, platinum bracket bitches. I went from being broke with 100k, to 2.9 mill thanks to global event winnings, geotags, and some other shit. Gotta spend credits to make credits.

Thug Life~

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's weird that they changed the JT2 Race time from the demo. I got 2:08 and it was a gold, managed 2:02 in the retail but it's a Silver now. 1:57 is needed now, I think it was 2:12 before?

Hell yes. Great track. The entire first section and where it connects to the dam are AMAZINGLY fun. Love love love that track.

I seriously have no earthly idea how to get up in the 60m-100m score range. Insane.

I'd take 30 painstakingly developed and tested Serenitys, and Mornin' Tigers over the 150 drops that we have currently. Too much fat in the game IMO where more work could've gone into each track individually to really make them great, and stand out from one another....and to remove 95% of the death pits cause they suck...so does the cold weather thing, and the oxygen mask. Terrible design choices that keep me away from tracks I would otherwise enjoy.

If they had 30 serenity-esque levels...I don't think I could ever stop playing this.

Bollocks

I just completed the first stage, sadly I can't connect with the game like I was able to with the PS2 SSX.
Is it just me or is SSX way too dark now? It should be all about fun, ridiculous environments, bright tracks and people along the track like it is some sort of sports event.
Now it just feels like you're riding alone, in dark settings.

JambiBum

Nothing beats coming back to a "While You Were Away" global event win worth 1.9 mill, platinum bracket bitches. I went from being broke with 100k, to 2.9 mill thanks to global event winnings, geotags, and some other shit. Gotta spend credits to make credits.

Thug Life~

I had 9 million credits earlier :)

If they had 30 serenity-esque levels...I don't think I could ever stop playing this.

Right? I often just lose track of what I'm doing and end up in a zen state where I'm not even worried about my score/time anymore despite the fact I messed up and should've restarted 3 minutes earlier, all due to how good some of the courses are. Then there are others that truly feel like they're from a completely different game of much lower quality. It's staggering going from Mornin' Tiger to that one track in Antarctica that has a GREAT second half but starts like it was made by people who've never actually tested it in gameplay.

Then Africa....Oh God Africa, such a waste of what could've been some really special courses. Imagine if the tunnel networks were filled with the neon lighting from the Peak 1 SSX3 tracks, death pit free, and huge enough that you wouldn't be hitting the ceiling on big jumps. Ugh, dat potential.

Tawpgun

It's weird that they changed the JT2 Race time from the demo. I got 2:08 and it was a gold, managed 2:02 in the retail but it's a Silver now. 1:57 is needed now, I think it was 2:12 before?

THIS.

1:57 was my demo record time. Now I have to beat it?

I thought getting gold in explore would be challenging. But sheeeeeeeeeeeeit its going to take a while. Trick events are still easy mode.

I feel like a lot of the complaints come from events thats shouldn't be on certain maps.

Serenity is awesome but racing on it is annoying. Africa sucks for tricks but I love it in race.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Whats the general feeling about which version is better, 360 or PS3? Not just how it looks but controls etc.

Thanks

Jamie OD

Anyone in Europe receive the 360 version of the game yet? I just got my pre-order copy in GameStop here in Ireland. They advertised Eddie and Mt Fuji as pre-order bonuses but there is no sign of any DLC codes inside the case. I just have the online pass. Is that what I put in to get the Eddie DLC or has the shop given me the standard version of the game by mistake?

Bgamer90

Banned
I just completed the first stage, sadly I can't connect with the game like I was able to with the PS2 SSX.
Is it just me or is SSX way too dark now? It should be all about fun, ridiculous environments, bright tracks and people along the track like it is some sort of sports event.
Now it just feels like you're riding alone, in dark settings.

The tracks/environments in the game reminds me of SSX3 (peak 2 and 3).

But anyways, I like the game but the deadly descent events are a mixed bag.

Also, the remixing of custom soundtracks works really well. Gaf did a good job with custom soundtrack suggestions. Most fit perfectly with the game.
GAF Trax > EA Trax

Xun

Whats the general feeling about which version is better, 360 or PS3? Not just how it looks but controls etc.

Thanks
I personally think the 360 version is more refined in all areas, but both versions are pretty equal.

Anyone in Europe receive the 360 version of the game yet? I just got my pre-order copy in GameStop here in Ireland. They advertised Eddie and Mt Fuji as pre-order bonuses but there is no sign of any DLC codes inside the case. I just have the online pass. Is that what I put in to get the Eddie DLC or has the shop given me the standard version of the game by mistake?
I'm not sure to be honest, have you called them yet?

I hope I don't have any issues when I pick mine up.

Top Bottom