• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

red731

holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

Its somewhere in my town! Post? House? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEyayayayayayayayayayayaya!!!

I am literaly like this at work now
tumblr_l49g9i2ew61qamgw7.gif

(well mostly my legs are moving on their own)

Sweet mother of holy weekend!

Regarding the OST, is there any way to get the SSX3 OST? There are some original remixes of songs that afaik are only available as part of the OST and I've had no luck finding it anywhere.

Not even the official OST has all the good tracks from SSX3. You need to find a music rip from SSX3 to get allt the tracks. I doubt that's easy to find these days though.

Natural

Anyone in Europe receive the 360 version of the game yet? I just got my pre-order copy in GameStop here in Ireland. They advertised Eddie and Mt Fuji as pre-order bonuses but there is no sign of any DLC codes inside the case. I just have the online pass. Is that what I put in to get the Eddie DLC or has the shop given me the standard version of the game by mistake?

Same! I got my copy from GAME and it only had the online pass. I don't think they sent me the standard version as it says 'limited edition' on the boxart.

Anyone in Europe receive the 360 version of the game yet? I just got my pre-order copy in GameStop here in Ireland. They advertised Eddie and Mt Fuji as pre-order bonuses but there is no sign of any DLC codes inside the case. I just have the online pass. Is that what I put in to get the Eddie DLC or has the shop given me the standard version of the game by mistake?

My online shop (not GAME) sent me the unlock codes for Mt. Fuji today on an email. I recieved the game two days ago, but isn't this the proper release date today?

Jamie OD

My online shop (not GAME) sent me the unlock codes for Mt. Fuji today. I recieved the game two days ago, but isn't this the proper release date today?

Yes, today is the official release of the game in Europe. I noticed something wasn't right when I saw no stickers or logos saying there was "exclusive DLC" inside the case, like you would usually find on other games.

Yes, today is the official release of the game in Europe. I noticed something wasn't right when I saw no stickers or logos saying there was "exclusive DLC" inside the case, like you would usually find on other games.

If GAME doesn't normally send you the codes on email after you recieve the game (like my webshop does) contact them.

fuenf

holy sh*t @ the "One Step Ahead" track in Alps. Dont know if this is the single worst designed or the awesomest track of all time. this giant middle finger of a track really makes you wonder if everything's fine with the ps3 controls. feels like ice-skating on rollerblades while balancing an egg on your head with 5kg of nitro strapped to your back.

Played for the first time last night and wow it's a lot faster than I remember the old SSX games. I liked what I played though. Any chance we'll get some old maps as DLC for the nostalgia :3?

holy sh*t @ the "One Step Ahead" track in Alps. Dont know if this is the single worst designed or the awesomest track of all time. this giant middle finger of a track really makes you wonder if everything's fine with the ps3 controls. feels like ice-skating on rollerblades while balancing an egg on your head with 5kg of nitro strapped to your back.

Who's up for a 1,000,000 credit drop cost survival event on One Step Ahead? No wingsuits and level 1 equipment only.

Jamie OD

I went back to the shop and got the DLC codes printed out for me. The staff wasn't kept up to date on how the pre order bonuses were handled. I can't blame them as I've seen plenty of confusion around the web about DLC in the build up to this release. Now on the way home to play!

So to everyone who pre-ordered SSX from GameStop in Ireland, ask the staff about whether or not the bonus DLC is included in the case before you leave.

I went back to the shop and got the DLC codes printed out for me. The staff wasn't kept up to date on how the pre order bonuses were handled. I can't blame them as I've seen plenty of confusion around the web about DLC in the build up to this release. Now on the way home to play!

So to everyone who pre-ordered SSX from GameStop in Ireland, ask the staff about whether or not the bonus DLC is included in the case before you leave.

Nice!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I finally got around to playing last night (started World Tour, trying to get it out of the way first), and holy shit, I suck. The speed and feel of the maneuvering is going to take a lot of getting used to. Every time I land a trick I seem to be careening in a direction that I don't want to go — the controls just feel so loose that it's like I'm a bouncy ball rolling down a slide. I now get what some people meant when they said it feels more like you're on ice than snow.

It IS fun, though... I just really need to put some time into it.

Also, I don't care about this Amazon pre-order bonus I got (Mac's Elite Snowboard with Boost, 360 version), so here's a present for the fastest person:

Quote to reveal, and please post once you've redeemed it so others don't keep trying. :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dear Seventy_X_Seven,

I thought I was hot shit with a sub 1 minute time on last hit. Then I saw your time of 52 seconds. How is such a thing even possible?

Yours slowly,
RbBrdMan

So I've noticed it's a bit harder to "manual" compared to how it was in 3 and On Tour. In those games you could switch manual direction because you would lose momentum and keep your combo, but on SSX you can board press to keep the combo going but if you try to suddenly switch "feet" or "side"(whatever the game wants to call it), you'll lose your combo.

Anyone find a way to work around this? I usually try boosting while board pressing but I run out of boost and momentum.

I finally got around to playing last night (started World Tour, trying to get it out of the way first), and holy shit, I suck. The speed and feel of the maneuvering is going to take a lot of getting used to. Every time I land a trick I seem to be careening in a direction that I don't want to go — the controls just feel so loose that it's like I'm a bouncy ball rolling down a slide. I now get what some people meant when they said it feels more like you're on ice than snow.

Also, I don't care about this Amazon pre-order bonus I got (Mac's Elite Snowboard with Boost, 360 version), so here's a present for the fastest person:

Quote to reveal, and please post once you've redeemed it so others don't keep trying. :)
Some dirty bird took it without saying anything.

JambiBum

Dear Seventy_X_Seven,

I thought I was hot shit with a sub 1 minute time on last hit. Then I saw your time of 52 seconds. How is such a thing even possible?

Yours slowly,
RbBrdMan

There was a million credit event on last hit where the top guy had 48 seconds. I could only get it to 52 :(. Still got a 5 million credit payout though.

DietRob

There was a million credit event on last hit where the top guy had 48 seconds. I could only get it to 52 :(. Still got a 5 million credit payout though.

I honestly don't get it. I have Kaori up to level 9. I was using a Legendary Speed board and had both a Legendary Speed Mod and Rocket Mod equipped and was still topping out consistently at 59 seconds. Some of these times are mind blowing.

I'll tell you what though nothing is more satisfying then carving a perfect line down a run. This game really shines in the explore and global events. I haven't had fun like this in a really long time.

Edit: I don't know if this guy is legit or not but some dude on reddit last night was claiming to be a level designer and was doing an AMA. I asked about the death holes. I'll paste a screen here in case anyone is interested.

thumz.png

Smokey

How is the online play? Haven't tried it yet...still doing World Tour. Love the wingsuit! Also think I'm going to stick with using buttons for tricks...feels better to me.

.GqueB.

Banned

I'm about the return this game for that very reason. I feel like Im fighting against these controls every step of the way. And holding the jump button to wind up your jumps doesnt work as it did before where you were locked into place essentially. I can still turn and Im often doing so sharply before jumps.

Unless Im doing something terribly wrong.

JambiBum

I honestly don't get it. I have Kaori up to level 9. I was using a Legendary Speed board and had both a Legendary Speed Mod and Rocket Mod equipped and was still topping out consistently at 59 seconds. Some of these times are mind blowing.

I'll tell you what though nothing is more satisfying then carving a perfect line down a run. This game really shines in the explore and global events. I haven't had fun like this in a really long time.

Edit: I don't know if this guy is legit or not but some dude on reddit last night was claiming to be a level designer and was doing an AMA. I asked about the death holes. I'll paste a screen here in case anyone is interested.

If I play with the devs again tonight I'll ask them about this. After talking to them for the last couple of days that sounds really really unlike them.

Moofers

This game is pretty damn amazing and addictive. My week has gone something like this:

New Message from Nick Bean:
"I am tearing your sorry ass times apart"

Outgoing message to Nick Bean:
"This ain't over. I will crush you while you sleep."

Again and again. Its just an endless cycle of about 6 friends and myself constantly trying to 1up eachother's times. I love it.

Plus I'd like to say that the soundtrack for this is completely boss. So many great tunes that really fit the mood of the game. I'm so glad to have SSX back and better than ever.

DietRob

How is the online play? Haven't tried it yet...still doing World Tour. Love the wingsuit! Also think I'm going to stick with using buttons for tricks...feels better to me.

IMO that is where the game really shines. Don't go in expecting to have realtime races with people. The real appeal of the game is One-upmanship. The feeling of finally beating someones time or score is pretty great. Placing and searching for Geotags can be pretty fun and challenging also. I dig it.

If I play with the devs again tonight I'll ask them about this. After talking to them for the last couple of days that sounds really really unlike them.

Thanks. I have a feeling it's just someone trolling. As I really doubt that a dev would come out and say something that candidly.

So I got the game today. Done two Deadly Descents so far and having a pretty good time. I decided yesterday that I would switch to using the face buttons instead of the classic controller like I did in the demo, this have set me back a bit though, think it's gonna pan out in the long run. Hopefully at least.

question re: friends list.

i thought i saw a menu that allowed me to see three options:

friends

friends of friends

friends of friends +

how to do i get back to this menu?

XBOX SHREDDER BROS: jon bones, bdams19

Don't know if anyone answered but I think RiderNet has this, back button. Scroll down past your rivals and you see Friends and Friends Of Friends.

you're cool bro
Thanks bro!

Yeah, put neuromancer on ignore.
Well if I'm on your ignore list you won't see this but this stung a little I have to say. All I've ever done is offer critiques and criticism (often heavily couched in sarcasm I admit). Think of me as the thread's sober yin to soultron's raging yang.

Overall I really dig the game, especially global events and explore. But there were some boneheaded game design decisions that I can't just let go without calling them out. If enough people complain about the same things, there's a better chance the game devs will listen and make adjustments in the next game or maybe a patch.

Neuromancer are you on PS3 or XBOX? If you're on PS3, I'm not sure if I have you on my list.
Xbox, sorry bud.

Moofers

Has anything been said about plans for DLC yet? I'm hoping maybe we get Snowdream or Mesablanca from the original game.

ElNino

I'm about the return this game for that very reason. I feel like Im fighting against these controls every step of the way. And holding the jump button to wind up your jumps doesnt work as it did before where you were locked into place essentially. I can still turn and Im often doing so sharply before jumps.

Unless Im doing something terribly wrong.
I don't think I will trade the game in for this, but I do hope they add some options for stick sensitivity on the PS3. I chose this version over the 360 due to Mt. Fuji, but it sounds like I made the wrong choice so far. Oh well, it's still fun but I know it could be better with a simple control fix.

Messi

GameStop Ireland have printouts, ask them for it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, I got the game yesterday and played through World Tour in pretty much one sitting, and I personally feel that a lot of people in here are really overreacting to a lot of stuff. "Horrible excuse for an SSX game"? Hell no. Yes, some of the survival mechanics do feel a bit pointless and unnecessary (others I actually enjoyed - I thought they added some nice (if not entirely necessary) variety to the gameplay), and yes, there are some tracks with an annoying amount of bottomless pits (the "White Out" DD was really frustrating), but none of that ruined my enjoyment of the game like it seems to have for some people here. Why? Because the rest of what's in this game is so good! I really feel like it captures the essence of SSX (albeit in a slightly different way from past games), and I'm loving it! The not-so-good stuff doesn't make the rest of the game any worse, and there's enough content in here to not have to touch the stuff you really hate.

So, even with there being some stuff in the game that I really wouldn't miss if it had been cut, I was thoroughly enjoying myself pretty much all the way through World Tour (except for during the horrible motion comics, haha). I did however find it extremely easy (except for a few of the DDs), but I realize World Tour is really just a glorified tutorial. I've now started digging into Explore and Global Events, and I can see myself having a lot of fun with this game for a long time to come!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
IMO that is where the game really shines. Don't go in expecting to have realtime races with people. The real appeal of the game is One-upmanship. The feeling of finally beating someones time or score is pretty great. Placing and searching for Geotags can be pretty fun and challenging also. I dig it.

Thanks. I have a feeling it's just someone trolling. As I really doubt that a dev would come out and say something that candidly.

Hehe, I finally got a time better than someone else on a Race (think it was helloresolven), with 2:04, by getting a 2:02. Within 5 minutes you beat me with a 2:01. I was like "no way Bra" and came back with a 1:98.

I hope that has not changed :p

Think I do too many attempts at a single races, as the top 3 "players" on my friends list, are all getting numbers on tons of different races.

Also: Hello again, sore thumbs, it's been awhile.

"Finished" (sort of) WT just to get it out of the way. Skipped a good 1/8th of the runs and still haven't finished Death Zone.

Global and Explore events, though. Hachi Machi.

I don't know if they fixed something on the server end or what but the RiderNet Wall now accurately shows that I have a score/time on the GE's I have a score/time in. Between GE's and the structure of Explore, I really can't fault the lackluster WT mode. This morning I beat like three of my friends' times on one drop and it was super easy and perfectly integrated. His ranking is among the other Character ranks and you just follow your ranking progress in the race like any other. I could honestly seriously do this forever.

And I also came home to like 400k in GE winnings.

I know that Hot Pursuit did the same thing (I think?) but I'm way worse at Driving Games than I am at SSX so this is a revelation.

soultron

Banned
Neuromancer, if it makes you feel better, I'd never put you on ignore. I'd miss your Real Talk in this and other Gaming threads. c:

george_us

To people on the fence discouraged by the recent bout of negativity - DON'T BE. This game has it's few problems but they aren't so large that they'll rob you of a good time. If you're a fan of SSX, this game is worth every dime.
Going to have to disagree with this. The horrible track design, imprecise controls, stupid gameplay gimmicks like Ice Picks, and the overall lack of personality have pretty much robbed me of a good time so far. At this point I just want EA to release HD ports of the previous SSX games and put the franchise out of its misery.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Going to have to disagree with this. The horrible track design, imprecise controls, stupid gameplay gimmicks like Ice Picks, and the overall lack of personality have pretty much robbed me of a good time so far. At this point I just want EA to release HD ports of the previous SSX games and put the franchise out of its misery.

Do you actually think every track in the game is horribly designed, or are you letting the bad ones ruin your enjoyment of the really good ones?

I will say that I do wish there were some tracks that felt more "designed" to actually be racing tracks (SSX 3 had a nice mix of that and more natural environments), but I guess that's just not the focus of this game.

Natural

They emailed me the eddie and fuji codes

Turns out I put in the wrong email address which is why I didn't get them. All sorted now tho!

EDIT: Question bout the music. I'm using my own playlists for the music in the game and was wondering if they randomize the music at all? As I've noticed a few times when the music kicks in it has started with Track 1 from the album everytime. Is there anyway to change this so its completely random?

Top Bottom