• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Moofers

Going to have to disagree with this. The horrible track design, imprecise controls, stupid gameplay gimmicks like Ice Picks, and the overall lack of personality have pretty much robbed me of a good time so far. At this point I just want EA to release HD ports of the previous SSX games and put the franchise out of its misery.

On ice picks- I think those and the other items are cool. Especially the wingsuit. They add a dynamic that you can completely ignore if you want to. But otherwise, they're good for giving you options, which is never a bad thing.

On track design- I think the track designs are great. Sure, they're very different from things like Merqury City Meltdown and Tokyo Megaplex, but there are multiple paths, plenty of jumps, rails, etc. and best of all, they are prettier than ever. The fog effects are just one example of a new addition to track design that I really like. I also like how there are so many variations of each track. Day/night/fog/no fog/etc.

On imprecise controls- Now I know this one is very subjective to opinion, but I think it controls great. Its as close to the original SSX as I think they could get with the changes they made to the gameplay.

On lack of personality- No offense, but I think you're crazy on this one. All the best characters have returned and they look better than ever. Plus they have all gotten older with us, which actually makes them more endearing to me. Then you've got that awesome soundtrack which wins big personality points on its own. Then factor in the leveling, equipment ratings, one-upmanship, and zen-like gameplay and I just don't see how you could argue that this is lacking personality.

And one other thing: The "online pass" has the best implementation of this annoying trend that I've ever seen. All it does is withhold your money from global events. That's it. You can still earn money in "Explore" and compete with your friends. You can even enter the global events and have a placing and everything, they just bank your money until you get the online pass. While I don't like online passes in general, this is the best use of one that I've ever seen and they deserve credit for that.

I realize everybody has their opinions and some will never change, but for me SSX seems like a real strong early contender for game of the year.

On ice picks- I think those and the other items are cool. Especially the wingsuit. They add a dynamic that you can completely ignore if you want to. But otherwise, they're good for giving you options, which is never a bad thing.

On track design- I think the track designs are great. Sure, they're very different from things like Merqury City Meltdown and Tokyo Megaplex, but there are multiple paths, plenty of jumps, rails, etc. and best of all, they are prettier than ever. The fog effects are just one example of a new addition to track design that I really like. I also like how there are so many variations of each track. Day/night/fog/no fog/etc.

On imprecise controls- Now I know this one is very subjective to opinion, but I think it controls great. Its as close to the original SSX as I think they could get with the changes they made to the gameplay.

On lack of personality- No offense, but I think you're crazy on this one. All the best characters have returned and they look better than ever. Plus they have all gotten older with us, which actually makes them more endearing to me. Then you've got that awesome soundtrack which wins big personality points on its own. Then factor in the leveling, equipment ratings, one-upmanship, and zen-like gameplay and I just don't see how you could argue that this is lacking personality.

And one other thing: The "online pass" has the best implementation of this annoying trend that I've ever seen. All it does is withhold your money from global events. That's it. You can still earn money in "Explore" and compete with your friends. You can even enter the global events and have a placing and everything, they just bank your money until you get the online pass. While I don't like online passes in general, this is the best use of one that I've ever seen and they deserve credit for that.

I realize everybody has their opinions and some will never change, but for me SSX seems like a real strong early contender for game of the year.

Strongly agree with all of this.

Also, are you on 360? My FL is seriously lacking in people who will get my Precious Roy references....

Turns out I put in the wrong email address which is why I didn't get them. All sorted now tho!

EDIT: Question bout the music. I'm using my own playlists for the music in the game and was wondering if they randomize the music at all? As I've noticed a few times when the music kicks in it has started with Track 1 from the album everytime. Is there anyway to change this so its completely random?
I think it's completely random but yeah I end up hearing the same stuff over and over too. I just wish there was some kind of skip functionality, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Neuromancer, if it makes you feel better, I'd never put you on ignore. I'd miss your Real Talk in this and other Gaming threads. c:
Thanks brother man!

Bgamer90

Banned
... I personally feel that a lot of people in here are really overreacting to a lot of stuff. "Horrible excuse for an SSX game"? Hell no. Yes, some of the survival mechanics do feel a bit pointless and unnecessary (others I actually enjoyed - I thought they added some nice (if not entirely necessary) variety to the gameplay), and yes, there are some tracks with an annoying amount of bottomless pits (the "White Out" DD was really frustrating), but none of that ruined my enjoyment of the game like it seems to have for some people here. Why? Because the rest of what's in this game is so good! I really feel like it captures the essence of SSX (albeit in a slightly different way from past games), and I'm loving it! The not-so-good stuff doesn't make the rest of the game any worse, and there's enough content in here to not have to touch the stuff you really hate.

100% Agree.

Moofers

Strongly agree with all of this.

Also, are you on 360? My FL is seriously lacking in people who will get my Precious Roy references....

Yes, my gamertag is Uno ILL Nino so drop me a FR soon. My Gold account actually ends March 6th, and I am too poor to renew, but I've got a handful of good SSX people I could introduce you to before that.

Yes, my gamertag is Uno ILL Nino so drop me a FR soon. My Gold account actually ends March 6th, and I am too poor to renew, but I've got a handful of good SSX people I could introduce you to before that.

Heh, I think you used to be on my FL but I forgot who you were.

Sending now...

Moofers

Oh, also wanted to add that I like the GeoTag system. Its my favorite way to make the best out of a botched run. Not gonna beat my record? Might as well place some tags around or try to get some. I love putting those fuckers at the bottom of the death pits. lol

Fixed1979

So, I got the game yesterday and played through World Tour in pretty much one sitting, and I personally feel that a lot of people in here are really overreacting to a lot of stuff. "Horrible excuse for an SSX game"? Hell no. Yes, some of the survival mechanics do feel a bit pointless and unnecessary (others I actually enjoyed - I thought they added some nice (if not entirely necessary) variety to the gameplay), and yes, there are some tracks with an annoying amount of bottomless pits (the "White Out" DD was really frustrating), but none of that ruined my enjoyment of the game like it seems to have for some people here. Why? Because the rest of what's in this game is so good! I really feel like it captures the essence of SSX (albeit in a slightly different way from past games), and I'm loving it! The not-so-good stuff doesn't make the rest of the game any worse, and there's enough content in here to not have to touch the stuff you really hate.

So, even with there being some stuff in the game that I really wouldn't miss if it had been cut, I was thoroughly enjoying myself pretty much all the way through World Tour (except for during the horrible motion comics, haha). I did however find it extremely easy (except for a few of the DDs), but I realize World Tour is really just a glorified tutorial. I've now started digging into Explore and Global Events, and I can see myself having a lot of fun with this game for a long time to come!

I don't disagree with this and I know I've done as much or more bitching than others here. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the game could have been so much fucking better by taking stuff out. If they had left the DD stuff separate in WT or optional in Explore and cut back or removed the death pits I'd be really fucking happy with it. SSX is in there, it's just frustrating digging through some of the trash to get to it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oh, also wanted to add that I like the GeoTag system. Its my favorite way to make the best out of a botched run. Not gonna beat my record? Might as well place some tags around or try to get some. I love putting those fuckers at the bottom of the death pits. lol

I kind of like being a bastard, and trying to go "backwards" off the starting line, as far as I can, and placing a geotag.

I don't disagree with this and I know I've done as much or more bitching than others here. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the game could have been so much fucking better by taking stuff out. If they had left the DD stuff separate in WT or optional in Explore and cut back or removed the death pits I'd be really fucking happy with it. SSX is in there, it's just frustrating digging through some of the trash to get to it.

Is there any advantage besides XP to just skipping them when you get the chance? I'm curious what I missed out on.

This is my first SSX game and I'm loving the hell out of it.

I just need to flesh out my friend list on the 360 so that I have more challenges from people. : /

Feel free to add me if you're looking for someone to have on your list that has terrible fuckin scores and times. :D

gt = bigdaddygamebot

Good question, I'm on peak 8 I think and haven't skipped anything yet but it'd be nice to know.

I might go back, as I'm sure there are badges involved but not any time soon. I'm still hovering around level 5 tops for all my guys so I'mma wait and then come back at Level 10 for everyone and just SHAKE THE SHEETS.

I might go back, as I'm sure there are badges involved but not any time soon. I'm still hovering around level 5 tops for all my guys so I'mma wait and then come back at Level 10 for everyone and just SHAKE THE SHEETS.
That's some good thinking, things definitely get easier as you level up.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm getting a better handle on the controls now. It's just the design of certain tracks that have me feel like a dead goldfish circling the toilet bowl at times. I really LOVE the wingsuit — it just feels so awesome to use. Thank god the controls are inverted by default, though, as I'd probably hate it otherwise.

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question!

THIS.

1:57 was my demo record time. Now I have to beat it?

I thought getting gold in explore would be challenging. But sheeeeeeeeeeeeit its going to take a while. Trick events are still easy mode.

I feel like a lot of the complaints come from events thats shouldn't be on certain maps.

Serenity is awesome but racing on it is annoying. Africa sucks for tricks but I love it in race.

When you're level 8 or higher with a high speed/boost board and a mod equipped you can't fall down that hill without getting gold.

I'm getting a better handle on the controls now. It's just the design of certain tracks that have me feel like a dead goldfish circling the toilet bowl at times. I really LOVE the wingsuit — it just feels so awesome to use. Thank god the controls are inverted by default, though, as I'd probably hate it otherwise.

Does anyone know how the World Tour medals work? I've gotten gold on every drop, even though I haven't finished first on some of them...?

I think, at least in Globe view, you just get the same Gold looking medal no matter what. I even have it on ones I skipped.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think, at least in Globe view, you just get the same Gold looking medal no matter what. I even have it on ones I skipped.
I guess since World Tour is really just a lengthy tutorial, you get "gold" just for finishing the drop (or maybe finishing in the top three, but you definitely don't have to win) — that's been my experience so far. Not sure why you'd have it for ones you skipped, though.

Man, that Avalanche DD was absurdly easy. It didn't even feel like I was doing anything.

Jamie OD

Death drops aside, I am having a great time playing it so far. I'm not even bothered by the tree and ice deadly descents as I bet they will be nothing to worry about if my characters are levelled high enough to get the better gear. The custom soundtrack option works great too.

Hale-XF11

I'd like to take a moment to highly recommend listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack remixed while wearing a glow suit.

bluehat9

Hated the final parts of Deadly Descents.

Spoilers?

The only way I was able to beat Griff on Death Race was apparently to knock him off line during the wingsuit part? He was always around 3 minutes to finish, but this run I was able to beat him with 3:10+. And was the 'unstable' part supposed to be like an avalanche? Couldn't they have just done that for the avalanche descent too? Also kind of laughed at the badges you get for knocking people down when you can't actually do that online. Now to never play that run again. Hated the pulse goggle race too.

On to Explore!

I can't believe I just beat somebody's time by .001 seconds. We show as having the same time on the leaderboards, but I'm ahead of him on the standings. That was an intense race.

Yeah my buddy told me about that one... I'm really not looking forward to it. In fact I just want to get the WT out of the way so I can settle down and enjoy the rest of the game. Kind of silly I know, I should probably not bother, but part of me wants to see it through even though it can be very frustrating.

I think I'm on the last DD (other than the super DD), that's the one with the pulse googles right?

DeFrank

I guess since World Tour is really just a lengthy tutorial, you get "gold" just for finishing the drop (or maybe finishing in the top three, but you definitely don't have to win) — that's been my experience so far. Not sure why you'd have it for ones you skipped, though.

Man, that Avalanche DD was absurdly easy. It didn't even feel like I was doing anything.

Yeah, you definitely get it when you skip. I noticed it when I skipped on accident once between failures for button mashing through the game telling me how hard I suck and that I should just move on. Kinda dumb.

Minamu

EU PSN told me that activating the online key would unlock Mt. Fuji, but where is it? Did I read it wrong? I didn't get any of the pre-order bonuses in-store.

Ketch

So I've been sticking mostly to Race and Survive modes, but I'm starting to get into Tricky. I think I just transitioned from constantly jamming buttons to actually thinking about what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. But I have a couple questions:

Do you get "duplicate trick" only for doing the same grab twice in a row? Or the same grab inside the same combo?

What is the penalty for duplicate trick? Loose points or just ends the combo?

Is there any benefit in "cashing in" a combo besides avoiding crashing and loosing the whole thing? In theory you'd want to keep one combo the whole way down no crashing, no duplicate tricks, right?

Do you boost? It seems like you'd almost never want to boost in a trick event except right before a jump to get extra height. The slower you go the less likely you are to crash and the more time you can spend on ground tricks and rails right?

I know it's more effective to hold one grab and get as many rotations as possible during a jump, but what about while grinding? Is it better to hold one trick the entire grind or mix it up?

Help me tricky guru's your my only hope.

I have a morality question. I preorderd this from Sainsburys, forgot about it, then preordered from Amazon. I want to send the amazon one back as I got it cheaper from Sainsburys. Amazon sent me a pre-order reward code for Kaori's Elite Snowboard. Would it be wrong for me to use it? Will I be depriving anybody of anything?

I have a morality question. I preorderd this from Sainsburys, forgot about it, then preordered from Amazon. I want to send the amazon one back as I got it cheaper from Sainsburys. Amazon sent me a pre-order reward code for Kaori's Elite Snowboard. Would it be wrong for me to use it? Will I be depriving anybody of anything?
No, they're not going to do anything with it.

Am I throwing points away by grinding a super long line while doing one Uber trick (like on the great wall)? Should I be taking the mountain paths and focusing on jumps?

Note: GRINDING IS SO MUCH FUN THOUGH

So I played a bit more, and I still have trouble with the standard control scheme. Not the tricks mind you, but I'm so used to having line up my landings after years of SSX3 so I keep bailing because I'm still doing flips and spins when in my head I'm just lining up my character for a perfect landing. So I bounce around a lot, but that is bound to get better if I just keep playing.

And wasn't Happiness from SSX3 supposed to be a drop in Alaska? I figured it would be the drop named Old school but it didn't feel like it at all.

Xander51

EU PSN told me that activating the online key would unlock Mt. Fuji, but where is it? Did I read it wrong? I didn't get any of the pre-order bonuses in-store.

Mt. Fuji isn't a pre-order bonus, it's a PS3 exclusive and unlocked when you download the Online Pass unlock key. It should be there in the Japan region.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The Japan region didn't show up for me the first time. I think I had to restart the game for it to appear.

Am I throwing points away by grinding a super long line while doing one Uber trick (like on the great wall)? Should I be taking the mountain paths and focusing on jumps?

Note: GRINDING IS SO MUCH FUN THOUGH

It's probably worth more to focus on jumps but if you're going to grind, change up your tricks.

Curufinwe

To me, too. It's nice that my main character Elise is the same age as me. And she still says her "un-be-lievable" catchphrase.

Someone from SSX-GAF added me on PSN yesterday and I accidentally declined the friend request and didn't catch the name. So if whoever that was wants to add me again I will make sure not to fumble with the controls like an idiot this time.

The Japan region didn't show up for me the first time. I think I had to restart the game for it to appear.

It's probably worth more to focus on jumps but if you're going to grind, change up your tricks.

So the rules are different for grinds? Cram as many different ones as possible as opposed to holding one long one?

So the rules are different for grinds? Cram as many different ones as possible as opposed to holding one long one?
Yeah, that's what I try to do. If you hold a grind for about a second, it'll register in your combo, then switch. I just use grinds to add to my multiplier as quickly as possible. Then again, you probably shouldn't be listening to me given how bad I am at trick events. :p

Yeah, that's what I try to do. If you hold a grind for about a second, it'll register in your combo, then switch. I just use grinds to add to my multiplier as quickly as possible. Then again, you probably shouldn't be listening to me given how bad I am at trick events. :p

It's definitely more fun that way, I was just holding them because I thought it was better. But just going like XX BB YY BB XX YY BB XX is SO FUCKING RAD.

BREAKDANCING ALONG THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA ON A SNOWBOARD.

KrawlMan

A couple questions for anybody that knows...

1. If I'm sitting at 20x multiplier and I accidentally let my combo cash in, is there any significant penalty to my overall score if I get back into tricky mode after a couple quick tricks and remain at 20x (also assuming I'm not missing out on a big drop while not in tricky mode)?

2. What buttons are needed for the signature uber trick for classic controls (most of the game's instructions / tips are specific to the standard control scheme) ?

vatstep

soultron sez:

Never "chain tricks" in air, but do chain grinds if your multiplier is not at 20x! Chaining tricks is not worth it. Do a grab and stick to it. So don't try and mash buttons. Grinds, however, are great to mash if you're low on your multiplier. Get on a long rail, and using a 1-Mississippi cadence, switch up your grinds every second, while spinning. Remember that to do the most valuable grind tricks you must double-tap one of your trick buttons button. (That's right, there are 8 regular grinds, then 8 TRICKY grinds, and 8 Super TRICKY grinds, if I've got things right.) Once you've got your multiplier to 20x, however, don't bother chaining your grinds together anymore; just stick to one. Also, red rail grinds aren't worth that many points so do not rely on them to get you points -- use them as a means to get your multiplier up and nothing else. Terrain grinds are worth much more because they take more skill to pull off. Remember that if you want to get off of a red rail, press the grind button and a direction on the left stick. To get off of terrain grinds, simply let go of the grind button and push the left stick in the direction you wish to dismount.

Dany

Banned
Are you guys using the buttons or the right stick for tricks? It feels like I have to let go sooner if I use the buttons to land a trick.

Top Bottom