• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Chamber

love on your sleeve
While you were away...2.5 million in global event earnings.

ieQ3RXN5Iqxau.gif

Feels good man.

JaseMath

Are you guys using the buttons or the right stick for tricks? It feels like I have to let go sooner if I use the buttons to land a trick.

When I started learning the new layout, I was going stick at first - felt more deliberate - but eventually switched over to buttons. It was just more comfortable to me. I wish the DS3 had a more tactile feel with their face buttons, but whatever.

Jamie OD

OK, the avalanche deadly descent in World Tour completely caught me off guard with
the reversed camera angle
. But other than that, it's an absolutely easy hazard to get past.

iFootball

Agreed... after days of practice in the Demo, and now the game itself, I've settled pretty good on the 'standard' layout using the button to jump & perform tricks... I'm on PS3 btw..

Rhythm is definitely what I need. Using the buttons for grinds is easy enough. I should just go the whole way and use them for airs too. Thx.

I'm still nowhere near the Trick Heavy Hitters, but I now at least feel like I know what I'm doing. I'm not all the way there, but I think it's the best style to use in order to improve in a conscious way.

stuminus3

I am literally the worst SSX 2012 player in the world. I don't understand it. Even the notoriously 'unplayable' SSX Blur was a breeze to me. I just can't get my head around this one after hours of play, I still just find myself pinballing down the drop after the first ramp. I want to have the same kind of fun you guys are having damnit!

Not sure if I care at all for Psymon's redesign in this game. They took the edge off quite a bit. And they made Moby very girthy for some reason.

I'm fine with Elise, Mac and Kaori though. Kaori I actually like in this better than the old games.

I am literally the worst SSX 2012 player in the world. I don't understand it. I just can't get my head around this one after hours of play, I still just find myself pinballing down the drop after the first ramp. I want to have the same kind of fun you guys are having damnit!

We're on the same page, although I haven't put hours into this one, nor do I plan to. Just can't seem to find a thing I like about this game...probably why I didn't play any of the previous ssx games.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just now starting to understand the scoring system and how multipliers work in this game. What ever happened to manuals?

Not sure if I care at all for Psymon's redesign in this game. They took the edge off quite a bit. And they made Moby very girthy for some reason.

2cpXf.png

What could have been. :(

The damn cold deadly descent took me two hours to beat without a heat thingy. I had the damndest time getting a good line.

How awesome. So looking forward to beating it without equipment.

(and I mean I'll beat if first without it, I want a challenge, fuck equipment, I'm hardcore :lol)

Edit: Also, from what I've seen, the thing that seems to be missing the most from DDs is a dynamic component to them. Maybe they could've had less random pits, and more moving stuff like in SSX3.

Trees: Falling trees and thunderstorm like in Intimidator from SSX3
Ice: Falling ice form caves
Rocks: Falling rocks from various places too

Etc...

Because these things gave a real sense of danger. Among other things like falling billboards or huge chunks of ice. A tree DD with fixed tree positions is just plain easy. There's no challenge in it, you just need to restart a few times until you know where everything is. Rocks is the same, it's just predictable. If they had made it more like SSX3 hazards, and less random pits to fall in, they'd have been even more epic.

btkadams

does anybody know where you can find a tracklist from the original ssx? i know a few songs but i can't figure out the rest. the internet search is polluted with the soundtrack listing for this game because they share the same name :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How awesome. So looking forward to beating it without equipment.

(and I mean I'll beat if first without it, I want a challenge, fuck equipment, I'm hardcore :lol)

Edit: Also, from what I've seen, the thing that seems to be missing the most from DDs is a dynamic component to them. Maybe they could've had less random pits, and more moving stuff like in SSX3.

Trees: Falling trees and thunderstorm like in Intimidator from SSX3
Ice: Falling ice form caves
Rocks: Falling rocks from various places too

Etc...

Because these things gave a real sense of danger. Among other things like falling billboards or huge chunks of ice. A tree DD with fixed tree positions is just plain easy. There's no challenge in it, you just need to restart a few times until you know where everything is. Rocks is the same, it's just predictable. If they had made it more like SSX3 hazards, and less random pits to fall in, they'd have been even more epic.

That's a really good idea and would fit with the over the top nature of the series to me.

The more I play the survival events, the less I like them. Most of them stays the same, but with something like the tree survival it has fog comes earlier and earlier, so if you memorize it nothing really changes. If you take it slow, you start to see the design issues it has. You can't bail off your board here, so if you fall the controls get really wonky the way the physics are working as you're facedown technically still on a board, which can gives you a weird speed boost to the sides right into a tree. You can lose a GIGANTIC chunk of health by hitting a tree with no speed, or messing up a grind on a tree.

There's an ice survival called Critical Mass. If you stay on the right, you NEVER have to worry about anything. There's a lot of snow, no jumps you have to take, and you can go as slow as you want. There's a crevice in the middle and the track is clearly built around that, having jumps to each side and railings that cross, but I guess they missed the right side being a free shot down. The stage doesn't get harder as it's trying to cope for the 'durability' of the ice pick, so this free path never changes either. So, I didn't even USE and ice pick and made 12 trips down the mountain before I intentionally lost. No shocker when I looked to the global event on that stage and saw the absurd diamond score showing a guy who went down this stage NINETY times straight.

A lof of the stages are only getting harder based on the equipment breaking over time, when it could have been a lot more interesting.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Each time I put together an awesome, bail-free run it just makes me wish this game had replay more and more. I would love to watch some of these runs I've put together.

While you were away...2.5 million in global event earnings.

ieQ3RXN5Iqxau.gif

Feels good man.

Same thing happened to me. Logged in this morning to a 2.1M payout. LOL at Batty saying it would take players a long time to get a few million. There days, bitch.

I beat NZ and Death Zone today. NZ was tough but I had Ty at level 9 with some great goggles so it wasn't that bad. Death Zone actually wasn't that difficult as a track, but I had to do it a few times to actually beat Griff.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
i don't understand. how do you get earnings when you aren't playing?

Paid for geotags not being found, paid for Global events you placed in and they finished, and I think you get payed if your ghost doesn't get beat on the times and trick runs you have set.

i don't understand. how do you get earnings when you aren't playing?

Global events end after a period of time, so you could do quite a few and match the boundaries required for payout - by the time you return, the event is over and you're automatically given your payment.

Picked it up today, and loving it. Definitely can see why people find it frustrating, but at the core is a really fun title. Been having a lot of fun just messing around with the ridernet stuff, although I do wish there was proper online racing (DLC perhaps?)

My gamertag is the same as on here, added myself to the 360 list so add me if you want - need a good selection of GAF to try and beat ;)

There's an ice survival called Critical Mass. If you stay on the right, you NEVER have to worry about anything. There's a lot of snow, no jumps you have to take, and you can go as slow as you want. There's a crevice in the middle and the track is clearly built around that, having jumps to each side and railings that cross, but I guess they missed the right side being a free shot down. The stage doesn't get harder as it's trying to cope for the 'durability' of the ice pick, so this free path never changes either. So, I didn't even USE and ice pick and made 12 trips down the mountain before I intentionally lost. No shocker when I looked to the global event on that stage and saw the absurd diamond score showing a guy who went down this stage NINETY times straight.

Wow. Really? How does that miss testing? Jesus... That's broken right there. One track into the trash bin straight away in competitive terms.

Gowans

FUUUUU!!!!!

Messing around in global events and joined a stupid survival that was hard as nails in the last five mins to have a look.

Didn't realise it was 500,000 to enter! :( now I have 20k in the bank :(

Teknoman

Ha, not even close...you'll get there.

Just passed it. Alps time...guess I just needed to go slow and navigate the turns...but still that was a missed opportunity. Could have been alot better looking, and more with lava/minor eruptions changing the landscape...not dead drops all over.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
FUUUUU!!!!!

Messing around in global events and joined a stupid survival that was hard as nails in the last five mins to have a look.

Didn't realise it was 500,000 to enter! :( now I have 20k in the bank :(

Tag quote..

Go into explore mode and pick a track to try and get a good time on. Play it about 20 times like I do and earn some money back.

Top Bottom