• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Not sure if I care at all for Psymon's redesign in this game. They took the edge off quite a bit. And they made Moby very girthy for some reason.

I'm fine with Elise, Mac and Kaori though. Kaori I actually like in this better than the old games.

2cpXf.png

What could have been. :(

I actually feel like a LOT of those initial character designs are MUCH better than what we ended up with for this game. Most of the art they show at the end goes from good ---> toned down for almost every character. Kind of disappointing because they gave them a lot of great lines to say while riding.

Hale-XF11

How do you create your own custom global event on the PS3? I checked the manual and everywhere else I could think of and for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Tokubetsu

I actually feel like a LOT of those initial character designs are better than what we ended up with for this game. Most of the art they show at the end goes from good ---> toned down for almost every character. Kind of disappointing because they gave them a lot of great in game lines.

Yea, they toned down the characters too much. Zoe and Tanae have the craziest final desgins and even they're kinda boring. Long hair Kaori > The Kaori we got. My biggest gripe with the game honestly. I don't really have a big problem with the pit track design (At least, not as much as everyone else in this thread).

Yea, they toned down the characters too much. Zoe and Tanae have the craziest final desgins and even they're kinda boring. Long hair Kaori > The Kaori we got. My biggest gripe with the game honestly. I don't really have a big problem with the pit track design (At least, not as much as everyone else in this thread).

It wouldn't be AS bad if they weren't straight up TAUNTING us with the art at the end of the game like "Here's the prototype, AND BAM, LOOK HOW GREAT THE FINAL DESIGN IS, SON!"..........but it's not :lol. Almost every character's design got worse with each "revision." I don't even know why they'd show them....just makes me sad.

We better get a character costume DLC pack *shakes fist*

Tokubetsu

Question, is there an effecient way of using the oxygen tank? You know, to extend it's use etc. The loading screen says stick to high ground, and go fast but I don't really see it making much of a difference...

Gav

I've been looking forward to this game for months. I'm in the UK, so it only came out here today, and i have been counting down the days till i could play it - but with more and more concern after all of the negative comments i have been reading on here.

I have just spent the last 5 hours with the game, and im genuinely having the most fun ive had with a game in a very long time.

The pits dont seem to bother me as much as everyone else. Same with other things like character design and rewind.
I have actually found the rewind to be helpful on occasion - its really not vastly different from the reset button of old SSX, but this time you are penalised.
And as i say, ive had my moments with the pits and cliffs, but they dont annoy me.

I love the different modes. Ive been flicking back and forth between Global Events and Explore, both of which are fantastic. I love that i can set times for friends to beat - or shout at the TV when i cant beat theirs! - and then jump over to try and win some more credits with hundreds of other people.

The Deadly Descents mode wasnt brilliant, and the soundtrack isnt the best of the series by far, but otherwise, im having an ace time. First game i have bought new in months and worth every penny, even for just my play time today.

Tokubetsu

I've been looking forward to this game for months. I'm in the UK, so it only came out here today, and i have been counting down the days till i could play it - but with more and more concern after all of the negative comments i have been reading on here.

I have just spent the last 5 hours with the game, and im genuinely having the most fun ive had with a game in a very long time.

The pits dont seem to bother me as much as everyone else. Same with other things like character design and rewind.
I have actually found the rewind to be helpful on occasion - its really not vastly different from the reset button of old SSX, but this time you are penalised.
And as i say, ive had my moments with the pits and cliffs, but they dont annoy me.

I love the different modes. Ive been flicking back and forth between Global Events and Explore, both of which are fantastic. I love that i can set times for friends to beat - or shout at the TV when i cant beat theirs! - and then jump over to try and win some more credits with hundreds of other people.

The Deadly Descents mode wasnt brilliant, and the soundtrack isnt the best of the series by far, but otherwise, im having an ace time. First game i have bought new in months and worth every penny, even for just my play time today.

Definitely go with your own custom playlist. It's worth the effort imo.

Got a question about Global Events...

So in-game, there are "badges" you can earn by accomplishing tasks. Some of them under the Global Events tab are things like "get Diamond in 1 Global Event (after "While You Were Away").

Well I won Diamond in one event, Platinum in a few and Gold in one. Yes, they ended and I got the credits rewards.
Yet I have no Badges for them?

Why not? What does "while you were away" mean?

Tokubetsu

Got a question about Global Events...

So in-game, there are "badges" you can earn by accomplishing tasks. Some of them under the Global Events tab are things like "get Diamond in 1 Global Event (after "While You Were Away").

Well I won Diamond in one event, Platinum in a few and Gold in one. Yes, they ended and I got the credits rewards.
Yet I have no Badges for them?

Why not? What does "while you were away" mean?

While you were away means you were offline when the event ended.

Karish

Tonight is Friday. Girlfriend is going out with her girly friends. I'm gonna smoke up and play the shit out of this tonight.

I seem to do better with tricks/combos when I am in a Race It event. I really need to fix that.

Any suggestions on what/where to get the 'Stay above 130km/h for 20 seconds' badge?

While you were away means you were offline when the event ended.

So basically I get no credit for that Diamond rank event because I was there to see it end?

I have to sign offline and come back when it's over? Does it work if you just exit the game then come back (while remaining online doing other things)?

Hale-XF11

I'm gonna smoke up and play the shit out of this tonight.
Been doing this all day and will continue all night. ;)

Finally won a Diamond bracket trick it event. Love those huge payouts. It's kind of exciting to watch the clock wind down to the last few minutes and see your earnings fluctuate in real time. Very cool stuff.

Bgamer90

Banned
Beat the deadly descents mode. Fun but also frustrating at times. While I wish that the tracks were more straightforward, the game gave a sense of accomplishment that wasn't in the previous SSX games. So while I sometimes really hated how some of the tracks had a lot of "death pits", I felt good after beating those tracks.

Overall, I wish there were more tracks that were similar to the ones in SSX 3. Not over the top & cartoony like Tricky but not "Deadly" either.

Either way though, explore mode adds so much replayability to the game that I can see myself playing SSX for months.

Tag quote..

Go into explore mode and pick a track to try and get a good time on. Play it about 20 times like I do and earn some money back.

I hopped into the DEAth Zone global event before I had a LVL 10 character (its a 1,000,000 Drop Cost Event) and I had to back out because i was getting owned.... FUCK.

mxgt

Banned
Fuck Red Light trick it and everything it stands for

Horrendous

In fact, FUCK AFRICA as a whole. Fucking terrible design

Dragnet

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD! Made me forget to eat dinner.

MMaRsu, I'm coming for your times, one by one..

Edit: Can anyone tell me how to get Eddie? I bought the Limited Edition which says I get him on the front, but he's nowhere to be found! :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just beat New Zealand's DD, fucking Christ, FINALLY.

And then beat Death Zone a few minutes later. I was surprised at how much easier it was than NZ. That whiteout shit is the worst. Other than that, I didn't really find any of the DD's hard at all.

Curufinwe

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far, but some journalist really needs to find out who at the dev team thought the main thing SSX was missing was death pits.

mxgt

Banned
Death pits and low cave ceilings. What's not to like?

Don't forget purposefully impeding player vision

It baffles my mind how they can make amazing, flowing tracks like Serenity and then absolute garbage like everything in Africa.

It's like they hired a child to design those courses. Pure frustration, no fun at all.

Fuck Red Light trick it and everything it stands for

Horrendous

In fact, FUCK AFRICA as a whole. Fucking terrible design

Yeah, to me there's only 8 sections in the game. Africa is unplayable. I play games to have fun, not to put up with a designer's shitty work.

MMaRsu

Edit: Can anyone tell me how to get Eddie? I bought the Limited Edition which says I get him on the front, but he's nowhere to be found! :(

ComeAtMeBroSavedByTheBell.jpg

;)

I'll be right there waiting to beat them again and again :p

EvB

Did you get owned by GAME group?
I didn't get the codes in mine either, that's because the codes were for preorders only and they should of given then to you with the game/emailed them.

Now I don't know where that leaves me, I didn't preorder it but the box clearly states they are included....

Dragnet

I didn't get the codes in mine either, that's because the codes were for preorders only and they should of given then to you with the game/emailed them.

Now I don't know where that leaves me, I didn't preorder it but the box clearly states they are included....

I pre-ordered and picked up in store, looks like they should of given me the codes on a slip. Fucking useless. I'll go in tomorrow..

Raxus

I really need tips on racing and tricking because I am getting my ass kicked on these courses and I don't want to use a level ten character to get gold on everything.

Also the survive cold event with no solar panel is so fucking mean.

JaseMath

Yeah, to me there's only 8 sections in the game. Africa is unplayable. I play games to have fun, not to put up with a designer's shitty work.

I'm kinda pissed that the series' most prolific character got storied in to the worst runs in the game (speaking about Mac). :p

Xun

Oh god I fear not having Eddie in mine now.

:/

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Getting to level 10 takes forever.

Especially when you like to spend all day in Global Events. Wish you got more XP for those.

I'm kinda pissed that the series' most prolific character got storied in to the worst runs in the game (speaking about Mac). :p

No kidding. Why is the franchise's most prominent trick character doing runs in what is most certainly the least trick friendly environment in the game? Odd choice for sure.

Mac should have gotten the Himalayas or Alaska.

stuminus3

FUUUUU!!!!!

Messing around in global events and joined a stupid survival that was hard as nails in the last five mins to have a look.

Didn't realise it was 500,000 to enter! :( now I have 20k in the bank :(

Don't worry, a quick tap of L1 and you can buy yourself some extra spacebucks for some of your hard earned real world cash! :-/

I honestly don't know what kind of person actually buys these "credit packs" but this sort of thing is appearing everywhere now so I guess somebody does.

george_us

On ice picks- I think those and the other items are cool. Especially the wingsuit. They add a dynamic that you can completely ignore if you want to. But otherwise, they're good for giving you options, which is never a bad thing.
They're useless and add absolutely nothing to the game. Not only am I fighting the shitty track design and controls, but I also have to baby sit these meters that nobody asked for.

On track design- I think the track designs are great. Sure, they're very different from things like Merqury City Meltdown and Tokyo Megaplex, but there are multiple paths, plenty of jumps, rails, etc. and best of all, they are prettier than ever. The fog effects are just one example of a new addition to track design that I really like. I also like how there are so many variations of each track. Day/night/fog/no fog/etc.
The bottomless pits alone ruin most of the tracks for me. It wouldn't be so bad if I can actually see them coming the majority of the time but the designers actually thought it was a good idea to put them near ramps so you can't see them. So if you hit a ramp the wrong way, you're shit out of luck and you have to burn a rewind or start the whole event over again. Not only that, but the tracks don't have the visual variety or the flare of previous SSX tracks. Now they're pretty much all visually indistinguishable from one another, sharing the same boring realistic art style. The day/night thing is horrible since you can't even see shit at night. This makes those bottomless pits doubly frustrating.

On imprecise controls- Now I know this one is very subjective to opinion, but I think it controls great. Its as close to the original SSX as I think they could get with the changes they made to the gameplay.
My main gripe is that whenever you try to steer a character, they'll sometimes steer wildly in the direction your trying to steer in. This makes events like Punch Up frustrating as hell since the majority of the track is fairly narrow.

On lack of personality- No offense, but I think you're crazy on this one. All the best characters have returned and they look better than ever. Plus they have all gotten older with us, which actually makes them more endearing to me. Then you've got that awesome soundtrack which wins big personality points on its own. Then factor in the leveling, equipment ratings, one-upmanship, and zen-like gameplay and I just don't see how you could argue that this is lacking personality.
Like I said earlier, this game doesn't have nearly the visual or aural flair of something even like SSX3. The once colorful, distinctive, and lively art style has been replaced by a more boring, realistic one. The tracks pretty much look the same with very little, if any, defining features between them, the characters don't seem to have nearly the personality they did before that made them stand out, and the soundtrack is generic as fuck compared to SSX1-3. [/QUOTE]

I actually enjoy the core gameplay but all of the superfluous shit combined with the change in tone and iffy level design has turned me off to the game for the most part. I'm sure people who have never played SSX before will probably enjoy this but for me, and many others from what it sounds like, it pales in comparison to the older games.

r.gun

Neo Member
All I have to say is God damn Broken Tooth tricky run. Took me like 30 tries to get gold... so freaking frustrating.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Patagonia is becoming my favorite range in the whole game...weirdsville, majestic..once you learn the layout they're a total rush.

Oh wow, as much as I'm enjoying this game (really fun) it has a nasty rage inducing side to it.

Was just doing a global event on some icy level that I can't recall, and think I failed to produce a legit run due to the bloody blind drops. I must have restarted 20 times, but it just pissed me off too much.

I don't see the purpose of them in race events, or at least for them to feature so prominently on some tracks.

Also, why no global leaderboards? Seems like a weird oversight when so much of the games fun is derived from beating other people's times.

Really enjoying it so far. The game is way more addicting then I thought it would be. It's only marred by those horrific Deadly Descents. Other than that it's great. Still think SSX3 is the best though.

Really enjoying it so far. The game is way more addicting then I thought it would be. It's only marred by those horrific Deadly Descents. Other than that it's great. Still think SSX3 is the best though.

I think the deadly descents are fun in their own - challenging though.

I just dislike it when the ideas behind them have strayed on to several tracks.

r.gun

Neo Member
Fuck that drop. I was talking to the developers about how much I hated it and a few of them agreed with me.

So glad I'm not the only one! I thought I picked an easy one when I went for the gold on the Rockies range. Figures I left that one until last too.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really enjoy the game on courses without death holes or easily avoidable ones. I'm thinking of compiling a list of what all those courses are and only play them. It will be much better for my blood pressure and the life of my controller's.

Nothing in any video game has ever infuriated me more than these damn death holes.

Top Bottom