• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Well sure, why wouldn't that ramp that just lead me into a crevasse. Makes sense.

I don't mind crevasses, but as you pointed out if you're going to put jumps and rails that lead directly into a crevasse or send you over a cliff, then f*** the designers of that track and f*** whoever approved it. That's not fun. It's not fun at all.

Serenity isn't even the best track.

It's a fun track, but there's far too much grinding and the entire track just feels like someone threw the same architecture all over the place and mixed in a few jumps. It's cool because it's great for racing and tricking but I can name at least 5-10 other tracks that I'd rather play.

Himalayas and Japan have the best tracks

I hate the two Japanese tracks. Combining caves + deathholes isn't my idea of video gaming fun. My personal favorite areas are Patagonia (the death holes aren't hidden), Alaska (tracks are great for tricking and racing), and the Rockies (same as Alaska). Least favorite are the god-awful Japan tracks, Africa, and portions of New Zealand (not all of it, though. Some is brilliant).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So has anyone else played Trick It on One Step Ahead?

ib4D2Z8fBstvD.gif

I hate the two Japanese tracks. Combining caves + deathholes isn't my idea of video gaming fun. My personal favorite areas are Patagonia (the death holes aren't hidden), Alaska (tracks are great for tricking and racing), and the Rockies (same as Alaska). Least favorite are the god-awful Japan tracks, Africa, and portions of New Zealand (not all of it, though. Some is brilliant).

Think I've got the same opinion. Anybody else feel they should have made less tracks to get the focus of online friends to be around getting better scores on fewer tracks rather than posting one score, then moving on?

Those of you who invested in the $1Milion Death Zone run i told you how to platinum legit, your multi-million credit investment should be Banked to you in a few seconds. :DDD

8,727,002 for Death Zone Platinum! NOICE!

500k (each) for the Serenity Platinums that i busted my hands for... lol

I won 16 million in an event and really didn't know what to spend it on, so I spent a good portion of it seeing if I could buy every single suit for one character in hopes that eventually I'll have to run into a really awesome rare one. Yeah, bad idea

I spent and hour opening and closing the character loadout page on an event to reset the suits/boards/equipment over and over to find good stuff eventually, save money but wasted time.

It was time well spent because i got a Legendary Glowing suit w/ both Big Head and Hands, a Legendary Glowing Suit with Trick Perk, and one with Boost Perk... all for Eddie. :D

Edit#2: aaand the Death Zone Event reset itself, GAFbros (@ the same $1,000,000 Drop Cost with no rewind) for another six days... lol. GET IN THERE, GAFBROS. MO' MONEY

The RiderNet app is a good start. It would be nice to see my latest cash grabs in the global events tab in addition to ongoing events. Obviously the ultimate goal would be to access a personal leaderboard for all drops, showing me and my friends (and maybe the overall record).

I did some grinding on Unsanctioned yesterday. I think the start of that track is a good representation of what the harder runs should be like. There are some tricky turns and you need to be precise to get down quickly and smoothly, but it's not unfair; no crevasses every 10 steps (there are a couple of holes but they're easily avoided), no rails that lead to certain doom, and there's enough room to execute panicked ffffuuuu maneuvers. It can still be frustrating due to sudden 90-degree turns because I apparently hit a snow weasel on landing, but that's another issue.

Is anyone else getting this awful frame rate, slowdown while connected to XBL? This is terribad. Pretty much unplayable.

Been playing two weeks on XBL (demo and full). Never once had a network-induced problem. And based on this thread alone, no one else has either.

MattDoza

Been playing two weeks on XBL (demo and full). Never once had a network-induced problem. And based on this thread alone, no one else has either.

I haven't had an issue either, until now. And when I disconnected from live, it was fine.

Custom soundtrack isn't playing anymore, either. It could just be something on my end. But I feel like I've done everything I can. Cleared cache, uninstalled/reinstalled to HDD, and playing offline is the only thing that cleared it up.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
YEAH bitches got my first diamond rank!! idk wtf the other scrubs are doing, I got 6.4mil and the previous diamond was 3.4mil? I can easily double my score too, I let my combo run out on accident halfway through. Just gotta last 40 more minutes now lol

I had my first diamond rank last night in a race and then in the last 30 seconds of the event someone shaved off 0.2 seconds on my time. But I did not have enough time to go back and set thing right. Felt bad man.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, so the number shown is the number of people currently doing the event, not the number of people who have posted a score (that's what I thought it showed, but then it wouldn't make sense that the number can go down)? Or is it a total (posted scores + current participants)?

From what I gather it's just current participants in realtime.

So has anyone else played Trick It on One Step Ahead?

I did after I saw your post. So yeahhhh, that's the opposite of good game design. As someone earlier in this thread said, the guy(s) that designed a lot of these tracks should be quietly dismissed. There's almost as much shitty design in this game as there is stellar. It's like the game was in desperate need of a director with a strong, competent vision. They seriously thought having rails that lead directly off cliffs or into death holes was a good idea. Yeesh. Naturally occurring grindable things like fallen trees that lead off a cliff I can buy. But a man-made rail that does? We're supposed to believe that someone built these tracks (in the game's reality), so why would they put a rail on a course that drops the rider off a cliff? Perhaps I'm just over-thinking it.

SadAli

Neo Member
This may have been covered previously so apologies if so but would have been great if the GE's actually let you finish any run you started within the time frame. I've started runs before with 2 minutes left on the clock only to be pulled up three quarters of the way down. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to allow people to finish runs they start before the clock run outs ala motor racing qualifying rather than having to work out before they start the run whether there's enough time left to complete. Would add to the tension IMHO.

Also, loving the competition offered by the GAF PSN list but could really do with a few less competent players in there - kind of dispiriting adding someone and watching the globe spin round telling me all my records are dust. Suppose it's good motivation.

bs000

Fun new glitch: Whenever I hit X to optimize gear with Kaori the game totally locks up and I can't do anything. The music keeps playing and the guide button still works. I have to quit to dashboard and then remember to manually choose all my gear for every event I use her D:

What exactly does it mean when it says...

XX friends have joined your SSX Network
[Select] Activate to synchronize standings and global events

...?

Who are these people? How have they "joined my SSX network"? And what actually happens when I press Select? Why doesn't the game just do this, whatever it is, for me automatically?

It says that whenever someone accepts your friend request while you're already in the game. When you press select it adds all their scores and junk so you can be rivals. It does it automatically when you start the game but it does the joined your network thing if you're already playing.

OH GOD WHY. EA... FIX THIS PLEASE....
]

Only 500k? I've spent 1.7m each on mystery boards :(. Protip: If you don't start the event or back out of char select it doesn't save and you can dashboard out to get your credits back :D.

Also I started buying all the suits to try to get them all but it was a while before I figured out you can buy the same thing twice. Or five times in the span of 20 suit purchases :|. Why would they do that D:

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Connecting to RiderNet
Connecting to RiderNet
Connecting to RiderNet

So much for hitting the slopes before work.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It says that whenever someone accepts your friend request while you're already in the game. When you press select it adds all their scores and junk so you can be rivals. It does it automatically when you start the game but it does the joined your network thing if you're already playing.

But that message will show up when I start the game up (right after the "While you were away" stuff), and will regularly say that 20-30 people have joined my "network". So I'm not sure that what you're saying makes sense.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hmm, played it on 360 at a friend's house last night, the deadzone for PS3 stick is huge. Big difference on how it controls. Now I see what everyone is talking about. I thought PS3 was a little sensitive, now I realize its a significant difference.

Also, one of the helpscreens in the game says go to the website and check on your friends, so maybe they are planning a RiderNet website. And why can't we have load screens that use RiderNet data dynamically like NFS did.

As to the joined your network messages, I think that includes friends of friends. So it can grow very quickly that way.

So seriously, whos the mad competition on PSN, I'm hearing nothing but XBL here!

Dragnet is pretty good. I usually end up in the platinum or gold brackets in GE's, so add us? I've gotten like 20-30 new friends on PSN over the last week, I have no idea who everyone is and recognize maybe 6 persons. But it is all good.

And I must say, damn if Broken Pass isn't a great track. (In the Alps, check it out.) Shame no one else seems to think so, never any good Race it there. It's short and sweet, takes around one minute to get through, no death pits and it feels like old SSX. And from time to time it is littered with Geo Tags. So great.

MMaRsu

Dragnet is pretty good. I usually end up in the platinum or gold brackets in GE's, so add us? I've gotten like 20-30 new friends on PSN over the last week, I have no idea who everyone is and recognize maybe 6 persons. But it is all good.

And I must say, damn if Broken Pass isn't a great track. (In the Alps, check it out.) Shame no one else seems to think so, never any good Race it there. It's short and sweet, takes around one minute to get through, no death pits and it feels like old SSX. And from time to time it is littered with Geo Tags. So great.
Me too! Me and dragnet are high up.. sen id is mmarsu

Cday

Banned
Serenity Global Event ended and it was still what, 8,000 short? How are people on PS3 supposed to be able to get the "Bandwagon" badge? If you can't get that badge you also can't get the Global Events Trophy or the Platinum Trophy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Serenity Global Event ended and it was still what, 8,000 short? How are people on PS3 supposed to be able to get the "Bandwagon" badge? If you can't get that badge you also can't get the Global Events Trophy or the Platinum Trophy.

Well damn

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The people count are the current participating people, not the maximum. It fluctuates depending on the time.

iFootball

Hmm, played it on 360 at a friend's house last night, the deadzone for PS3 stick is huge. Big difference on how it controls. Now I see what everyone is talking about. I thought PS3 was a little sensitive, now I realize its a significant difference.

Well, so that's the second time (recently) I've read this type of comment from a PS3 owner trying out the 360 version... since it looks like the difference between the two is confirmed, I do hope EA is reading this thread so they can address that through a future patch....

Cday

Banned
The people count are the current participating people, not the maximum. It fluctuates depending on the time.

If a week long free Global Event on the most popular drop on launch week isn't enough what will be enough? If by current you mean playing it right now, then no, it's not. It just means how may people have entered it since it started. If it was live players then it would make the matter even worse since presumably less and less people will be playing it at any one time over time. They could brute force it by making it 3 weeks or something but that would suck.

iFootball

The RiderNet app is a good start. It would be nice to see my latest cash grabs in the global events tab in addition to ongoing events. Obviously the ultimate goal would be to access a personal leader board for all drops, showing me and my friends (and maybe the overall record).

I actually just tried it out (PS3 account) and I really like that the "Global Events" tab lists those events in which you're current participating, and it shows your current bracket, score/time/distance, time left, and forecast payout... veeeery convenient...

Btw.. is there a way in the game to display this exact same list?... I haven't really payed attention if there is.

Numpt3

This game was orginal a bit of a let down.... and then I left world tour. Holy shit, I have not had this much fun with a game in years.

This, World Tour gives a really bad first impression of the game. I did the first two deadly descents and was begining to think that the game was a bit crap.

I decided to check out the other mode and the online, it's like digital crack. So good.

DietRob

I still need to beat you on many tracks!

I am happy that I've beaten dragnet and grassclipper on some tracks. ed: and RoadHazard and RbBrdMan....and many more

Lets battle.

MMaRsu and Seventy_X_Seven are the bane of my existence. At least MMaRsu's times are in the general realm of being beatable. I have no idea how Seventy is getting some of these times and I'm sure he's gonna stay on the top of the leaderboard. Just insane.

AndyD said:
Also, one of the helpscreens in the game says go to the website and check on your friends, so maybe they are planning a RiderNet website. And why can't we have load screens that use RiderNet data dynamically like NFS did.
It would be really awesome if there were a battlelog type page to keep track of your records and friends times. I'd like to be able to see all of the tracks I've competed on in one quick shot instead of trying to go through the game interface to do it. Make it happen Batty.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well, so that's the second time (recently) I've read this type of comment from a PS3 owner trying out the 360 version... since it looks like the difference between the two is confirmed, I do hope EA is reading this thread so they can address that through a future patch....[/QUOTE]

Hopefully someone from the dev team has an account here.

v0mitg0d

Ok I'm going to be honest--I've never played an SSX game (I know I know) but I couldn't resist this one since everyone seems to love it--so I picked it up blindly.

Before I begin can someone give me a few points or tips? I know there are a few different configurations like sticks vs buttons but I'm unsure which is best. I'm an old Tony Hawk fan and am thinking the buttons might be best, mainly because I can't imagine the sticks are going to be as responsive as the buttons.

Also, in regards to points and combos. I imagine it's best to perform as many moves as possible? Does holding a pose qualify for more points in any regard?

Sorry for the lame questions!!

DietRob

Hopefully someone from the dev team has an account here.

Soultron? Nah, I'm just kiddin. He did say a page or so back that the creative team is reading this thread. I think Soul and Jambi play with them on 360 so they are probably right.

Ok I'm going to be honest--I've never played an SSX game (I know I know) but I couldn't resist this one since everyone seems to love it--so I picked it up blindly.

Before I begin can someone give me a few points or tips? I know there are a few different configurations like sticks vs buttons but I'm unsure which is best. I'm an old Tony Hawk fan and am thinking the buttons might be best, mainly because I can't imagine the sticks are going to be as responsive as the buttons.

Also, in regards to points and combos. I imagine it's best to perform as many moves as possible? Does holding a pose qualify for more points in any regard?

Unless you are a glutton for punishment skip World Tour. Some of the tracks and game mechanics are terribly designed, IMO. I slogged my way through WT but I and many others are having so much more fun in Explore and Global event mode.

I've been using the standard controller config and using the buttons for tricks. If using the buttons it is a lot easier to not repeat tricks. In regards to tricks see this post : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35594704&postcount=2103

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I got the Bandwagon badge from Serenity. Not sure how the player count works but I joined it on the first day of release.

jkoch

Broken Pass is one of my favorites too. Those two huge jumps right in the beginning are so much fun. I spent over an hour last night trying to improve my trick it score. I think I got gold on race it, which was pretty easy, and haven't gone back to it since.

What's your PSN? I'll add you. Mine is the same as my gaf username.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

1. There are two control schemes: Standard and Classic. Standard lets you use either the right stick or the face buttons for tricks, while Classic (like the old games) uses the shoulder buttons. Most people seem to agree that Standard with buttons works best in this game. Using the stick just doesn't feel very natural, and it also makes it harder to accurately perform specific tricks, avoid duplicate tricks, etc.

2. Holding a trick for as long as possible is worth more than performing several different tricks during a jump. However, at the start of a trick run, you might want to grind some rails and switch up your tricks while grinding, in order to quickly get your multiplier up. Once yor multiplier is at 20x you should stick to single tricks in all situations.

v0mitg0d

Unless you are a glutton for punishment skip World Tour. Some of the tracks and game mechanics are terribly designed, IMO. I slogged my way through WT but I and many others are having so much more fun in Explore and Global event mode.

I've been using the standard controller config and using the buttons for tricks. If using the buttons it is a lot easier to not repeat tricks. In regards to tricks see this post : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35594704&postcount=2103

Wow, thanks a ton for the link and tips.

So World Tour is a bust huh? I'll just skip it like you're suggesting because the last thing I want is to slog through something--I just want to have some fun.

I'm curious, is Explore mode sort of like an open ended (or open world) mode?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, thanks a ton for the link and tips.

So World Tour is a bust huh? I'll just skip it like you're suggesting because the last thing I want is to slog through something--I just want to have some fun.

I'm curious, is Explore mode sort of like an open ended (or open world) mode?

World Tour is pretty much a tutorial, where you learn about all the different survival mechanics and such. It also lets you unlock all the characters and get them leveled up a bit with little effort. I personally think WT is worth playing through once for these reasons, but after that it's Explore and Global Events all the way. That's where the meat of the game is.

No, Explore is basically just where you set personal records and compete against your friends' best recorded runs. You select drops from the world map, just like in the other modes. There is no "open world" gameplay in this game.

Cday

Banned
I got the Bandwagon badge from Serenity. Not sure how the player count works but I joined it on the first day of release.

I've played it every day since release and often have retried Serenity and it has never been near 50k and what's more the player count never went down to any noticeable degree in between tries. It was really low on launch day since it was NA only at that time. Unless by launch day you mean March 1st or 2nd. It was around 42,000 yesterday, which is the highest I ever saw it.

Top Bottom