• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

AndyD

aka andydumi
You can make level updates (at least with most games) as patches that you are forced to download as soon as you boot up the game. Problem is even a little level update is a big download, and multiple updates to the same level is about the same size so they should probably wait to find as many fixes as possibly. Also patches can get expensive so might as well wait even longer and do as much in one patch as possible.

I just hope something is done. Sure we could just make no-wingsuit events but I like the wingsuits, just not when they can "cheat" like that. And that doesn't even cover other level exploits that don't involve any special gear.

They would also have to reset all leaderboards involving every updated track. That's tricky.

balddemon

Banned
YEAH bitches got my first diamond rank!! idk wtf the other scrubs are doing, I got 6.4mil and the previous diamond was 3.4mil? I can easily double my score too, I let my combo run out on accident halfway through. Just gotta last 40 more minutes now lol

Speaking of Boredfare, what would be the trade-in value on a game like this after a week? I never sell games back, so I am generally clueless. The last game I traded in was like Prince of Persia.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I was playing Alps and I hit a rock at a weird angle and zoomed into the sky super fast. Got both badges involving go faster than 260kph. Fun stuff.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe a late reply but uh, there were 92k people in the Serenty GE during EU prime time today on 360, back down to 54k as of an hour ago.

Hmm, so the number shown is the number of people currently doing the event, not the number of people who have posted a score (that's what I thought it showed, but then it wouldn't make sense that the number can go down)? Or is it a total (posted scores + current participants)?

soultron

Banned
Speaking of Boredfare, what would be the trade-in value on a game like this after a week? I never sell games back, so I am generally clueless. The last game I traded in was like Prince of Persia.

Dunno. Throw it in the GAF for sale thread and you'd get cash for it, no doubt. Maybe someone in here would want it. Solicit PMs?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Booyah, got the million credit snowflake. Took me like a half-hour... very frustrating.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Congrats yeah it is kind of a bitch. Well worth it though!
Definitely, got Griff from 2 to 9. I'm thinking I'll probably main him since he has a good balance of stat bonuses.

soultron

Banned
Hey SHREDDING BROS, I sent Señor Batty an email with a bunch of concerns you guys have been voicing and he said that the team is aware and working hard at fixing things!

Trying to get some trick its done in Patagonia. My god it's so frustrating. You really want me to get almost a million points just from hopping from one little island over a bottomless pit to another? That's just for bronze.

Really hate this game sometimes. >=(

Hey SHREDDING BROS, I sent Señor Batty an email with a bunch of concerns you guys have been voicing and he said that the team is aware and working hard at fixing things!

So they're going to unship the game and make a proper SSX? Sweet!

Dunno. Throw it in the GAF for sale thread and you'd get cash for it, no doubt. Maybe someone in here would want it. Solicit PMs?

Undesirable. Not usually desirable is having to go to a GameStop or somewhere, as I would not want store credit or whatever, but this is the rare occasion where another new release I am interested in is imminent. Mass Effect 3. The next opportunity is months away (Halo 4).

But what have we here, Best Buy will buy this thing from me. 20 bucks, not great, but chalk it up as a 40 dollar lesson learned about falling for a classic blunder: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Trying to get some trick its done in Patagonia. My god it's so frustrating. You really want me to get almost a million points just from hopping from one little island over a bottomless pit to another? That's just for bronze.

Really hate this game sometimes. >=(

My biggest desire is that the bottomless pits don't kill you, but instead they respawn you to before the gap or a few seconds earlier. Particularly in no rewind races, it gets incredibly annoying. Its almost like making it to the bottom will net you a ton of money because a lot of people won't even bother trying (speaking from experience, I both abandoned some tracks, and also made money by slowly cruising down when few others even tried).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Are they aware of the large left stick deadzone in the PS3 version? I know some people seem to think it's a non-issue, but as I posted earlier it really is a bit of a pain in events where you want to go slow and carefully control your line. Because you won't be pushing the stick forward most of the time during those events (like you would during race events), but rather leave it in its resting position and make adjustments from there, the deadzone becomes very apparent and makes the controls feel simultaneously unresponsive (when you're trying to make small adjustments) and too sensitive (when you unintentionally overcompensate for the previously mentioned unresponsiveness, causing you to oversteer).

EDIT:

PS3 control dead-zone fine-tuning.

Great!

bs000

Hmm, so the number shown is the number of people currently doing the event, not the number of people who have posted a score (that's what I thought it showed, but then it wouldn't make sense that the number can go down)? Or is it a total (posted scores + current participants)?

It's everyone that's posted a score. I see 90k total for the mountain and 54k for that one event. I'm sure that's where he got confused :p

soultron

Banned
What concerns did you email and which things are they fixing?

PS3 control dead-zone fine-tuning.
Classic control spin glitch. (I still think this was fixed because other Classic control users haven't had problems. I made sure to specify EU users were having the problem.)
Classic control tool tips.
Fixing some of the shadier short cuts with invisible walls/volumes.
RiderNet client-side glitch where your scores/times don't show. (This is saved server-side so you don't have to repeat the run or repay the dropcost, but I see how some people find this confusing.)
Rewind glitch.

He said they were aware of everything, listening to us, and working hard at getting stuff fixed. Didn't comment on what or when because they're probably grinding at it right now. He would also get in trouble if he leaked that. :p

soultron

Banned
It just came out and it sucks. All it is is a list of times and scores your friends have beat. The Global Events list doesn't work currently for me.

I don't ever expect apps to work correctly upon release these days. Haha. It's wayyyy easier to patch something like that though since they don't have to wait on MS/Sony's cert times, IIRC.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What is the rewind glitch? I notice on a Sruvive It on Sentinel I could basically rewind infinitely during a portion of the track even though it said every time that I had 0 left. I got further down and finally it stopped me from doing it. Is that it?

soultron

Banned
Tell him to add a skip music track button or option in the menu.

They're reading this thread so you saying that is probably enough.

The Harmony randomization sounds like it needs fixing too. They probably weren't expecting edge cases of people uploading hundreds of songs per playlist. :p

fuenf

fuck yeah! I love the survival runs, just wow... I orignally wasnt a fan of the Deadly Descents but tonight everything came together: Did the "4 runs without survival gear or rewind"-Badge, got the Survival Trophy und managed to place myself in the Death Zone platinum bracket with 17,6 km. Best / hardest gaming experience since Wipeout HD and the GT5 Vettel Challenge (pre patch with pad). I just love this game!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What exactly does it mean when it says...

XX friends have joined your SSX Network
[Select] Activate to synchronize standings and global events

...?

Who are these people? How have they "joined my SSX network"? And what actually happens when I press Select? Why doesn't the game just do this, whatever it is, for me automatically?

JaseMath

Had the opportunity to play the 360 version and the steering is sooooooooooo much better than the PS3's. It's so much more prscise. Why? Don't give me that BS about stick give or whatever - the old SSXs never had that problem.

Getting ready to throw my controller through my TV. I thought World Tour was frustrating, well, there are plenty of Explore events that are equally bad.

Sometimes I feel like half the tracks in this game are just not fun at all to play.

soultron

Banned
fuck yeah! I love the survival runs, just wow... I orignally wasnt a fan of the Deadly Descents but tonight everything came together: Did the "4 runs without survival gear or rewind"-Badge, got the Survival Trophy und managed to place myself in the Death Zone platinum bracket with 17,6 km. Best / hardest gaming experience since Wipeout HD and the GT5 Vettel Challenge (pre patch with pad). I just love this game!

Yeah! The gear seemed kind of pointless in WT DDs, but the Survive It runs in GE/Ex are so much fun, in my opinion. I love that it's a war of attrition when competing with friends. If you use all of your resources, you're screwed. I love it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Had the opportunity to play the 360 version and the steering is sooooooooooo much better than the PS3's. It's so much more prscise. Why? Don't give me that BS about stick give or whatever - the old SSXs never had that problem.

Deadzone. It's huge in the PS3 version (and no, it's not a problem with the DS3, but with the game). There might be more to it, but I'm absolutely convinced this is at least part of the problem.

After spending 99% of my time racing, I decided to start doing trick events. First thing I hear,

"You need more tricks, like silly American rabbit."

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh. Anyways, I notice sometimes my final score doubles at the end of a run. Can someone explain how this happens?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So...where is this located?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BlaIJdY3E

After spending 99% of my time racing, I decided to start doing trick events. First thing I hear,

"You need more tricks, like silly American rabbit."

Not gonna lie, that made me laugh. Anyways, I notice sometimes my final score doubles at the end of a run. Can someone explain how this happens?

That's your combo cashing in. When that happens, you get its value times your multiplier (which is probably at x20 at that point), plus a combo bonus, added to your total score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BlaIJdY3E

That's your combo cashing in. When that happens, you get its value times your multiplier (which is probably at x20 at that point), plus a combo bonus, added to your total score.
But my score isn't going x20, it's only going x2. For example, I'll score 9 million then get a 9 million combo bonus. How does that work exactly though? I thought it's just for finishing a run all in one combo but it seems if I use rewind my score doesn't double like that (which is probably a good thing).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, this is seriously annoying. I just went offline to get the 1M snowflake. Then I went online again, and suddenly the game doesn't remember that I'm in any global events at all. NONE! They all show up as if I've never entered them, with drop cost and everything.

But my score isn't going x20, it's only going x2. For example, I'll score 9 million then get a 9 million combo bonus. How does that work exactly though? I thought it's just for finishing a run all in one combo but it seems if I use rewind my score doesn't double like that (which is probably a good thing).

You don't get your total score multiplied, you get your trick combo value times your multiplier added to your total score. So let's say your combo value is at 900,000 and your multiplier is at x10. When that combo cashes in (which happens automatically at the end of the race) you get 9,000,000 points for it (plus a much smaller combo bonus).

soultron

Banned
Ok, this is seriously annoying. I just went offline to get the 1M snowflake. Then I went online again, and suddenly the game doesn't remember that I'm in any global events at all. NONE! They all show up as if I've never entered them, with drop cost and everything.

It's a known issue. Restart your game and your times should show up. Everything's still stored server side so you'll still get your pay out, even if the times don't show up again.

fuenf

Getting ready to throw my controller through my TV. I thought World Tour was frustrating, well, there are plenty of Explore events that are equally bad.

Sometimes I feel like half the tracks in this game are just not fun at all to play.

I know it might sound dumb but i found out that the game is much more fun if you learn how to "tame the track" instead of simply racing it. It's actually kinda surprising / amazing how slow you can go on some tracks and still manage to get the Gold. It's frustrating but in singpleplayer SSX is all about competing against the tracks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a known issue. Restart your game and your times should show up. Everything's still stored server side so you'll still get your pay out, even if the times don't show up again.

Yeah, I know it's a known issue that this can happen, I just didn't think it would happen with all events.

AndyD

aka andydumi

You don't get your total score multiplied, you get your trick combo value times your multiplier added to your total score. So let's say your combo value is at 900,000 and your multiplier is at x10. When that combo cashes in (which happens automatically at the end of the race) you get 9,000,000 points for it (plus a much smaller combo bonus).

Yep.

tLEjR.jpg

So you get the combo score (39174) times the multiplier (13) in the above picture.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep.

tLEjR.jpg

So you get the combo score (39174) times the multiplier (13) in the above picture.

...plus a combo bonus based on the number of tricks in the combo. I'm not sure how that part is calculated, but I saw someone say they got a bonus of 300K for a 100 trick combo. So it's not very significant (although that person could have been wrong, of course - I have not tried to work this out myself).

JambiBum

I love how Inertia just comes in here to drive by troll soultron. What ever did you do to him to make him so salty soultron?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Nope, just restarted the game, and still nothing. So I went into one of the free events I was in and set a new (terrible) score, and my old (much better) score showed up. So now that event is showing me being in it, but none other. So now I'll basically have to stay out of all events with a drop cost, unless I want to risk paying for one a second time (at least one event I'm in had a drop cost of 1,000,000 credits), since I have no way of knowing which ones I'm already in.

Great.

soultron

Banned
Nope, just restarted the game, and still nothing. So I went into one of the free events I was in and set a new (terrible) score, and my old (much better) score showed up. So now that event is showing me being in it, but none other. So now I'll basically have to stay out of all events with a drop cost, unless I want to risk paying for one a second time (at least one event I'm in had a drop cost of 1,000,000 credits), since I have no way of knowing which ones I'm already in.

Great.

Try yanking your network cable while your system is on, putting it back in, and then re-signing into whatever console's online service you're on. This might work as well.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Try yanking your network cable while your system is on, putting it back in, and then re-signing into whatever console's online service you're on. This might work as well.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas!

I just tried this, and the game promtly went back to showing me as being in zero events. Lol.

Clearly, going offline while the game is running makes it not know what's going on at all anymore.

EDIT: Ok, just entering an event and quitting right away (don't actually have to set a new score/time) makes my old result reappear. But that obviously doesn't help for the ones with a drop cost. I really don't want to drop 1M of my credits on an event I'm already in.

Top Bottom