• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I know it might sound dumb but i found out that the game is much more fun if you learn how to "tame the track" instead of simply racing it. It's actually kinda surprising / amazing how slow you can go on some tracks and still manage to get the Gold. It's frustrating but in singpleplayer SSX is all about competing against the tracks.

This is true. However there are some tracks where I just keep falling off to the sides and of course when I rewind my opponents keep going forward. Grrr

This game... I just don't know sometimes... Right ow I'm on some track I'm south America, bronze is like 800K in trick it. It's insane because it's all just floating islands over bottomless pits, most of the time you have to use the wing suit to go from one to the other which means you're not tricking. I just don't understand it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, just tried doing one of my disappeared events with a drop cost (not one of the most expensive ones) again, and had to pay the cost a second time even though I'm already in the event. This really needs to get fixed ASAP. As it is now, I basically can't do any event with a drop cost unless I'm 100% sure I'm not already in it (with me having entered a whole bunch of events during the last few days, this is a bit of an issue), and I can't go back to one I know I'm in and try to improve my result either, because then I have to pay the drop cost again.

I don't even know why I keep playing this game sometimes. It's so goddamn frustrating. All I'm trying to do is get bronze medals in explore, I'm not trying to get a world record or anything. And some of these are damn near near impossible for me. I am not a bad player, average at worst. I've been playing snowboarding games since 1080 and never have I played a snowboarding game as infuriating as this one. It's insane, literally insane. I just can't imagine that a casual player could get through half these tracks at all.

My plasma tv went kaput today so i had to rely on my old 4:3 sd CRT TV, and boy is the framerate that much better on sd 4:3 resolution. The framerate is nealy flawless and perfect playing in that resolution. Much, much improved.

Most important: the controls improved a ton with the clean framerate/zero slowdowns and the riders feel a lot better to play. Wow, i didn`t expected that. (xbox 360 version)

JaseMath

This game... Planned on playing a bunch of explore events but got sidetracked by a single global event that, in 2 hours of playing, NEVER FINISHED because I couldn't be perfect. :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
My plasma tv went kaput today so i had to rely on my old 4:3 sd CRT TV, and boy is the framerate that much better on sd 4:3 resolution. The framerate is nealy flawless and perfect playing in that resolution. Much, much improved.

Most important: the controls improved a ton with the clean framerate/zero slowdowns and the riders feel a lot better to play. Wow, i didn`t expected that. (xbox 360 version)

So the game actually renders at 480i/p if you set your console to that? Most games just scale down from their native res, I believe, which wouldn't result in any framerate improvements.

Pretty awesome that now I can see how poorly I'm doing but on the go!

Haha yeah. It's kinda limited unfortunately. On the Wall, the entries are there but everyone has the same icon. So what's the point of the icon then? The Global Events tab is useful. Shows your score, current bracket, and time remaining. Touch it and it slows the minimum scores for each bracket.

The friend list is pretty useless. It's just an alphabetical list and there's no way to tell who is online at that moment... and touching their entry just brings up the message box. No other options. No profile details or anything.

This feels like version 0.5 of this app. There's even a scrolling glitch. Hopefully updates are already in the pipeline...

Hale-XF11

This game... Planned on playing a bunch of explore events but got sidetracked by a single global event that, in 2 hours of playing, NEVER FINISHED because I couldn't be perfect. :(

This happens to me on a regular basis. I think there might even be tracks I haven't even played on yet. This game is so freakin' huge.

I've found my happy place. Custom events on non insane DD tracks, just to roll down and have fun. No AI opponents, just chilling and grooving down the mountain. Ahhhhh

smr00

Banned
Ended up renting it at the redbox earlier and after playing about 2 hours i fucking love it, i might have to pick it up with ME3 tomorrow.

Like every other snowboarding/racing/sports game i am terrible at it and still don't know like 80% of the controls/moves, i just boost and smash buttons when in the air but the way the music transitions and the sense of speed and the graphics.. I don't know why i didn't pick it up at launch because it's well worth the $59.99 price tag, demo did this game 0 justice IMO. Demo is what made me get into the wait for $39.99 sale mindset. Also i love the pass they did with it, don't get me wrong i hate online passes but since they aren't going anywhere THIS is the kind of online pass i want, it doesn't fuck over used buyers.

Hale-XF11

I've found my happy place. Custom events on non insane DD tracks, just to roll down and have fun. No AI opponents, just chilling and grooving down the mountain. Ahhhhh

What we need is a nice, big fat and special DLC "Zen Pack" chock full of sweet, smooth and buttery runs like our beloved Serenity. We'll ride forever.

What we need is a nice, big fat and special DLC "Zen Pack" chock full of sweet, smooth and buttery runs like our beloved Serenity. We'll ride forever.

Ahhhh yes I wish. Instead well probably get 'The five CRAZIEST tracks too dangerous for the main game!!!'

Other nice thing about just jamming down the mountain for fun is without trying for the best time or best tricks it frees you up to go after geotags and snowflakes.

Hale-XF11

Ahhhh yes I wish. Instead well probably get 'The five CRAZIEST tracks too dangerous for the main game!!!'

Other nice thing about just jamming down the mountain for fun is without trying for the best time or best tricks it frees you up to go after geotags and snowflakes.

I love doing that now and again. I also love placing geotags in really far out places where anyone can go without dying. Suddenly the game becomes a little bit of an adventure.

If you remember the tips I put up fort Death Zone's 1 MILLION DROP COST RUN, there is a 2 MILLION drop cost run with double the winning (do the math lol) and I'm gonna share it with you guys since it seems no one is biting on it from my friends list.

-LIKE BANK?
-KNOW HOW-TO TRICK? (ie Spam Sig.Trick, no Dupes/Bails)
-DO THIS RUN!

Tokubetsu

If you remember the tips I put up fort Death Zone's 1 MILLION DROP COST RUN, there is a 2 MILLION drop cost run with double the winning (do the math lol) and I'm gonna share it with you guys since it seems no one is biting on it from my friends list.

-LIKE BANK?
-DO THIS RUN!

I'mma bite. No risk/no reward. Real G's go all in in. #SWAG

BPK

I can't believe how weak the rumble feedback is in this game. Very disappointing to land a huge jump and feel virtually nothing.

Auto-rails suck.

The controls lack the precision of past SSX titles and are very frustrating. I can't seem to get my rider to go where I want.

The soundtrack has some cool songs.

I miss being able to customize my Rider like in previous SSX titles.

I really miss a city track a la Metro City or Mercury City.

Graphics are nice.

I miss the challenge of having to balance on rails while doing ubers. That was one of the most fun parts of SSX3. Now I feel like a zombie when I hit a rail: I just push the uber buttons and watch my rider react.

Right now I give the game a 7.5/10. It's fun, but now at SSX Tricky and 3 level.

I can't believe how weak the rumble feedback is in this game. Very disappointing to land a huge jump and feel virtually nothing.

Auto-rails suck.

The controls lack the precision of past SSX titles and are very frustrating. I can't seem to get my rider to go where I want.

The soundtrack has some cool songs.

I miss being able to customize my Rider like in previous SSX titles.

I really miss a city track a la Metro City or Mercury City.

Graphics are nice.

I miss the challenge of having to balance on rails while doing ubers. That was one of the most fun parts of SSX3. Now I feel like a zombie when I hit a rail: I just push the uber buttons and watch my rider react.

Right now I give the game a 7.5/10. It's fun, but now at SSX Tricky and 3 level.
PS3 or 360 version?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

-LIKE BANK?
-DO THIS RUN!

Of course it has to be a shitty Antarctica track. I'll bite anyway.

So when it says a drop costs a million credits that means the event costs a million to do as much as I want until it finishes, right? I thought drop meant run, which would mean if I wanted to improve my score I'd need to pay another million, but tonight it let me keep running the event over and over without taking more money. Eventually earned 6 million off of my 1 million investment.

Tokubetsu

So when it says a drop costs a million credits that means the event costs a million to do as much as I want until it finishes, right? I thought drop meant run, which would mean if I wanted to improve my score I'd need to pay another million, but tonight it let me keep running the event over and over without taking more money. Eventually earned 6 million off of my 1 million investment.

Yes, once you pay the drop cost, as long as it doesn't glitch out like it has done to me (not showing you participated already), you don't have to repay the cost. For a drop that costs a amill, I'll usually spend 2-3 hours perfecting my run before I consider it good enough. I don't stop at the first plat or gold. I try to secure that spot.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not, but there's like another full track on the far right-hand side of Bulldog once you cross the dam. Really cuts off time on races involving that portion of Bulldog. Useless for tricking though.

This is my problem as well. Though it's gotten to a point where I hate never being able to finish the songs so whenever I screw up now I just go geotag hunting XD

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not, but there's like another full track on the far right-hand side of Bulldog once you cross the dam. Really cuts off time on races involving that portion of Bulldog. Useless for tricking though.
You mean the section that is just hills and white snow? I wish they could block this section out because it ruins all four race events on Mt. Wakefield.

You mean the section that is just hills and white snow? I wish they could block this section out because it ruins all four race events on Mt. Wakefield.

Yep, and I only found it because one of the ghosts went that way. It needs to be fixed because not only is it a clear shot to the finish, but the race finishes before you even make it to the helicopter.

So the game actually renders at 480i/p if you set your console to that? Most games just scale down from their native res, I believe, which wouldn't result in any framerate improvements.

If you play 480i/p in 16:9 the performance/framerate is the same as playing in HD. But if you play in 4:3 you get a much, much improved framerate and the game feels a lot better imo. It's like night and day.

Whenever "Mirage" comes on, I stop getting mad at this game. Even falling into bottomless pits from fucking NOWHERE is fine with that song on.

Top Bottom