• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

SadAli

Neo Member
I need to stop restarting. Even before I know a track I just restart as soon as I mess up.

I've already got this bug badly, particularly in race mode. Watching all the other riders zooming off as you're rewinding out of a pit is so demoralising I end up just restarting only to then fall into the next hidden pit I was unaware of till that moment.

Being stuck on a week with little free time I'm struggling with the gap since I first played this on Sunday till my next available time tomorrow evening.
Normally this gap in between playing a new online game would rile me a little but seeing other people on my friend's list playing and knowing that they're all no doubt grinding my less than impressive but hard fought scores to dust is making it all the more unbearable.

eneko

Our game team is aware of an issue that may corrupt user save files and is working towards a fix that will go live in our next title update.

To avoid encountering this issue:
• Please DO NOT Hide Rivals in RiderNet and
• Please DO NOT Remove Friends from your console Friends List

Backup your saves!

NinjaBoiX

Does it support custom soundtracks on PS3?

If so, are they dynamic ala WipEout HD? Man, that game has the best implementation ever; they show up on the HUD and react just like the OST, SSX seems a perfect fit for dynamic custom soundtracks.

Curufinwe

Will backup to my USB stick tonight before playing any more.

I haven't been hiding any rivals or removing friends, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Cday

Banned
this game gives me the weirdest craving to go play some skate. They are made by the same guys right?

For their outstanding work on the Skate games Black Box was kicked out of their studio and forced to make Need for Speed games. Some of them could have moved to the SSX dev team, but I dunno. Trying to figure out who all contributed to any single EA game can be confusing as hell.

NinjaBoiX

Black Box made the skate series. It's possible SSX's dev team had some of the ex-BB guys on staff.

Oddly enough, just yesterday I had a craving to play skate 2.
I always have a craving to play skate. Best control scheme ever, so logical. If you know what the trick looks like, you can generally just work out how to do it. It's the marionette scheme from AC perfected. And the simple genius of the L1 marker, find a nice stair set, and I'd be "L1+^"ing for hours.

Man, I love that game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
EA if you are reading this:

Please reduce the size of the personal ghosts save data, or make it part of the game data and not game saves. On PS3 with Plus auto-sync of saves, the ghosts file is over 100MB of the 150MB storage we have. The actual save file with profile and unlocks is less than 500kb, but your second save file, including the ghosts is gigantic and unnecessary as a local save file. So please, make it game data and optionally exported for backup like LBP and LBP2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does it support custom soundtracks on PS3?

If so, are they dynamic ala WipEout HD? Man, that game has the best implementation ever; they show up on the HUD and react just like the OST, SSX seems a perfect fit for dynamic custom soundtracks.

Yes, it does, and yes, your own music is remixed in the same way as the game's soundtrack during airtime, grinds, etc (if that's what you mean by "dynamic"). I don't believe track info shows up on the screen for your own music though.

btkadams

wait, so that travis rice is a real-life snowboarder? ugh, why are they making ssx more and more like real-life?!

bring back another ssx character from the past or make a new crazy one. it would really make me stoked if they announced dlc that was old-school costumes/appearances for all of the characters. psymon is an atrocity in his current state.

wait, so that travis rice is a real-life snowboarder? ugh, why are they making ssx more and more like real-life?!

bring back another ssx character from the past or make a new crazy one. it would really make me stoked if they announced dlc that was old-school costumes/appearances for all of the characters. psymon is an atrocity in his current state.
SSX is just as over the top as it always was, more so now actually. I would just think of this as an easter egg kind of thing, not anyone trying to take the series into a more realistic direction.

Personally I don't care about Travis Rice other than his character model looks cool, so I want it to unlock soon. More characters to choose from isn't a bad thing.

btkadams

SSX is just as over the top as it always was, more so now actually. I would just think of this as an easter egg kind of thing, not anyone trying to take the series into a more realistic direction.

Personally I don't care about Travis Rice other than his character model looks cool, so I want it to unlock soon. More characters to choose from isn't a bad thing.
i don't know. imo, the game as a whole is more realistic than the previous games. i'm still loving the game, but come on! they added health to ssx and sucked 80% of the personality out of the characters.

Since I finished DD (won the surprise last race by doing it over and over till I learned the track off by heart), I've jumped back into explore. Got to upgrade two more bronze medals on the middle peak in NZ and then I'll have all golds and silver for that region.

Think I'll save all golds for a less frustrating region.

andylsun

just rented this and completely forgot about the online pass (first game I've found with this feature). Played a couple of descents and it's a lot of fun. Was terrible at the demo until I realized that right trigger was boost - doh.

My muscle memory keeps wanting to change tricks while still in the air, tony hawk style - do you get extra multipliers for chaining different tricks in a single jump, or just stick with one trick per jump?

Had one of the SSX games on the GC, so first time playing this for a few years. Like the soundtrack too, and while I know it's not overly important - having an E rated soundtrack is good so my daughter can play it.

BPK

Any words from the devs whether they plan a patch to fix the acknowledged looser handling in the ps3 version. This - along with the weird "soft" rumble - is killing the game for me.

JaseMath

Any words from the devs whether they plan a patch to fix the acknowledged looser handling in the ps3 version. This - along with the weird "soft" rumble - is killing the game for me.

Same here - would love to know. The loose handling is making some of these runs way harder than they should be.

Broken Pass is one of my favorites too. Those two huge jumps right in the beginning are so much fun. I spent over an hour last night trying to improve my trick it score. I think I got gold on race it, which was pretty easy, and haven't gone back to it since.

What's your PSN? I'll add you. Mine is the same as my gaf username.

My PSN is the same as my username, Grassclipper. And I just realized I don't think I've even tried doing trick it on it. I set a gold time a race it, then I've just used it to zen ride or level up my characters via Geo Tags. Oh and cashing in on GE from it.

Struct09

My muscle memory keeps wanting to change tricks while still in the air, tony hawk style - do you get extra multipliers for chaining different tricks in a single jump, or just stick with one trick per jump?

Stick with one trick per jump (make it a combo trick instead of a one button trick), and make sure to flip/spin while doing it. When grinding a rail, you should switch up your tricks every second or so.

BPK

Same here - would love to know. The loose handling is making some of these runs way harder than they should be.

It didn't prevent me from inching a few fractions of a second ahead of your demo time on the race ;). When I take the plunge and get the full game I look forward to going head to head with you. Your trick score was killer. Not going to match you there.

JaseMath

It didn't prevent me from inching a few fractions of a second ahead of your demo time on the race ;). When I take the plunge and get the full game I look forward to going head to head with you. Your trick score was killer. Not going to match you there.

Until the handling was fixed, I decided I wouldn't try to kill myself beating times, but rather destroy people like yourself in the trick events. :p You should pick it up - you're good competition.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Stick with one trick per jump (make it a combo trick instead of a one button trick), and make sure to flip/spin while doing it. When grinding a rail, you should switch up your tricks every second or so.

I let my grinds go to massive also before I switch if I have enough time. I guess I'm not getting as many points as I could?

Hale-XF11

I love that I own my own territory in this game with nobody touching my scores for days. Bear Claw (on Chomo Lonzo in the Himalayas) still belongs to me.

Anyone else claim some runs or even entire mountains all to themselves?

JaseMath

I love that I own my own territory in this game with nobody touching my scores for days. Bear Claw (on Chomo Lonzo in the Himalayas) still belongs to me.

Challenge accepted.
SOON.

jkoch

EA if you are reading this:

Please reduce the size of the personal ghosts save data, or make it part of the game data and not game saves. On PS3 with Plus auto-sync of saves, the ghosts file is over 100MB of the 150MB storage we have. The actual save file with profile and unlocks is less than 500kb, but your second save file, including the ghosts is gigantic and unnecessary as a local save file. So please, make it game data and optionally exported for backup like LBP and LBP2.

Heh, I was wondering why it said I didn't have enough storage space to back up some files whenever I turn my PS3 on each day. Thanks for pointing this out.

Do you mean how you sometimes really need to hit the analogue sticks to get a decent turns? If so I've noticed that!

Also there seems to be a bug in the music playing. The tracks will skip back and forth when doing tricks, in particular when grinding. Little one is that if I select restart more than a few times, the selector will go mad and circle through the start menu options over and over until the run reloads.

jkoch

I let my grinds go to massive also before I switch if I have enough time. I guess I'm not getting as many points as I could?

Grinds are good for building your combo count and multiplier, but don't give many points compared to air tricks so it's best to switch them up every second or two.

Do you mean how you sometimes really need to hit the analogue sticks to get a decent turns? If so I've noticed that!

Also there seems to be a bug in the music playing. The tracks will skip back and forth when doing tricks, in particular when grinding. Little one is that if I select restart more than a few times, the selector will go mad and circle through the start menu options over and over until the run reloads.
That's not a glitch, it's a feature. Dynamic remixing. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

I've gotten that menu selection glitch before too. Fortunately it doesn't affect anything, just looks strange.

That's not a glitch, it's a feature. Dynamic remixing. You can turn it off if you don't like it.

I've gotten that menu selection glitch before too. Fortunately it doesn't affect anything, just looks strange.

It's a feature really? I'll be turning it off then, it's distracting if anything.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
can you explain what is more over the top? i'm not trying to argue. i'm genuinely curious as to why others feel differently than i.
Well the main difference is this game has highly exaggerated takes on real world environments while the previous games were purely fantasy in that aspect. This game is far faster with a physics system that, in addition to causing much frustration, allows greater freedom in the trick game.

I take great personal offense if I see anyone besting me in Race it on Broken Pass. That track belongs to me.

Not really though but it's nice to be on top.

I haven't seen anybody else mention this, but on the PS3 are the RiderNet menus INSANELY slow to load for anybody else? I hit select to pull up RiderNet and it lags for like 5 seconds before I can do anything. I don't even try going to my Rivals list, because navigating through that is nightmarishly slow. It has to re-populate the avatars for everybody every time I scroll down (or up) and moving between rivals has like a 1 or 2 second delay every time (even after the avatars are loaded up). It's basically useless...

Top Bottom