• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Sentenza

Keyboard only > all

It's how I've gotten 1500 jet kills in BF3 also
Nothing beats a good flight stick for these games. *Nothing*.
A controller, on the other hand, is roughly as bad as as mouse and keyboard for a flight/space sim.

I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't a Boxed Edition offered in the pre-funding rewards, so I bugged 'em on facebook. Hurray, RSI replied!

Once they decide on a boxed edition pricepoint, I'll probably jump in there, if it isn't too pricey.

Good, I was ready to pledge more than 60$, but not for DLC stuff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This isn't really true. There's not really a safety net on Kickstarter either. Once the funding is met, that's it. From Kickstarter's FAQ:

Right, that's what I said — the safety net only applies to projects for which the goals have not been met. It's still more of a safety net than the way Roberts is doing it.*

*I know Roberts isn't a shady dude and won't screw people over. But it's true that his method is riskier for investors than Kickstarter's method. All of this ties into your question of why anyone would use Kickstarter at all, and I named the few reasons why.

sp3000

A controller, on the other hand, is roughly as bad as as mouse and keyboard for a flight/space sim.

Nope

I have a Saitek X52 and I still use keyboard for space sims

People seem to confuse flight sims and space sims and do not seem to realize that they rely on totally different mechanics. A plane handles much better with a joystick because you can tune movements easily and make smooth turns in the air.

Space sims require fast, precise movement rather than smooth movement. So a keyboard only works great.

I suppose it comes down to preference

Right, that's what I said — the safety net only applies to projects for which the goals have not been met. It's still more of a safety net than the way Roberts is doing it.*

*I know Roberts isn't a shady dude and won't screw people over. But it's true that his method is riskier for investors than Kickstarter's method. All of this ties into your question of why anyone would use Kickstarter at all, and I named the few reasons why.
I am interested but also apprehensive because of these reasons. At least with Kickstarter the risk is less as it'll only take my money from me and everyone else at the same time on a certain date if funding is actually successful. With this and instant backing payment, if the project fails, well I've already put my money in but I can have it back "less processing fees" which is still putting more risk on my side which I'm not too happy with, especially compared to the Kickstarter middleman model which I feel offers a bit more protection for me.

I might jump in after the project is proclaimed a success for the early backer reward / "pre-order", but not until it's safe.

Zaptruder

Banned
I am interested but also apprehensive because of these reasons. At least with Kickstarter the risk is less as it'll only take my money from me and everyone else at the same time on a certain date if funding is actually successful. With this and instant backing payment, if the project fails, well I've already put my money in but I can have it back "less processing fees" which is still putting more risk on my side which I'm not too happy with, especially compared to the Kickstarter middleman model which I feel offers a bit more protection for me.

I might jump in after the project is proclaimed a success for the early backer reward / "pre-order", but not until it's safe.

The deal may be - investors have given him half, likes what they see, but wants to see the market respond before forking over the other half.

Kickstarter would've been the less risky approach than this... I honestly don't think there's much of a chance in re-attempts, so the first time has to be done right.

I think if those two vectors fail, they should embrace the raw Minecraft/Overgrowth Alpha release style independent funding gameplay.

Focus on content development tools, make the design open - so that people can see what's in there and what they plan on adding. Allow fans to add additional content ahead of release/and participate in the design process like Endless Space.

I get that it's the game he's always wanted to make, but he should embrace the new community style development if this funding model fails. Restructure the development process so that players can play with the elements of construction along with drip fed content (here's a battle, here's another battle, now we've made these battles a cohesive mission, here's a new ship, here's a space station, here's a test system, here's another test system - we've got the economy going, etc).

Castef

Banned
project-offset1.jpg

Perkel

Banned
Main site is still down.

It's funny that they created the highest crowdfunding goal and they didn't count traffic on their site.

But who knows maybe it's black friday scheme. G

Keasar

The only thing I wish for is that they would switch out the laser weaponry for more ballistics. I know this is early footage, but my problem usually with laser weapons is their constant tendency to look, sound and feel really lame. They are slow moving, don't have any punch to them and just looks and sounds silly.

While I know what I saw is early footage, and by early I mean eaaarly, but it still makes me wish for something a little punchy. We all know by now that space warfare using ballistic weaponry can be pretty fucking sweet thanks to Battlestar Galactica.

galPeg3.jpg

This is proof purchase about PC games. i loved the beginning, the monologue about PC Gaming. Many man tears were shed.
1288220242183.jpg

Also... CRYENGINE 3. EVERY GAME SHOULD BE CRYENGINE 3

SparkTR

It's strange to have some hardcore space sims again, with this X-Rebirth and Diaspora around. Maybe this will give Frontier Developments incentive to reveal Elite 4? Also it's a shame Nexus 2 isn't getting this kind of support.

The only thing I wish for is that they would switch out the laser weaponry for more ballistics. I know this is early footage, but my problem usually with laser weapons is their constant tendency to look, sound and feel really lame. They are slow moving, don't have any punch to them and just looks and sounds silly.

While I know what I saw is early footage, and by early I mean eaaarly, but it still makes me wish for something a little punchy. We all know by know that space warfare using ballistic weaponry can be pretty fucking sweet thanks to Battlestar Galactica.

galPeg3.jpg

BSG ballistics in space always looked so damn cool. The flak field especially. First time I saw it, my eyes glistened a bit

Sentenza

I hope this will get enough funds so i can go on Twitter and mock Richard Garriot about his recent obsession for Facebook social gaming.

Keasar

And really freakin' dangerous and irresponsible, thanks to Sir Isaac Newton.
Well, there is that, yeah.
Mass Effect 2 said:
Gunnery Chief: [as the character enters the Citadel] This, recruits, is a 20-kilo ferris slug, feel the weight. Every five seconds, the main gun of an everest class dreadnought accelerates one to 1.3% of light-speed. It impacts with the force of a 38-kiloton bomb. That is three times the yield of the city-buster dropped on Hiroshima back on Earth. That means- Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-bitch in space. Now! Serviceman Burnside! What is Newton's first law?
Serviceman Burnside: Sir! An object in motion stays in motion, sir!
Gunnery Chief: No credit for partial answers, maggot!
Serviceman Burnside: Sir! Unless acted on by an outside force, sir!
Gunnery Chief: Damn straight! I dare to assume you ignorant jackasses know that space is empty. Once you fire this hunk of metal, it keeps going til it hits something. That can be a ship. Or the planet behind that ship. It might go off into deep space and hit somebody else in ten thousand years. If you pull the trigger on this, you are ruining someones day, somewhere and sometime. That is why you check your targets. That is why you wait for the computer to give you a damn firing solution. That is why, Serviceman Chung, we do not "eyeball it". This is a weapon of mass destruction. You are not a cowboy shooting from the hip!
Serviceman Chung: Sir, yes sir!

Still looks way cooler.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone in Europe been able to sign up with the EU site? I get a invalid currency (EUR) message when I try.

xenist

And really freakin' dangerous and irresponsible, thanks to Sir Isaac Newton.

Not to mention giving a ton of extra work to the flight control systems which have to compensate for the forces generated at firing. And the forces would be huge. Those ME projectiles will invariably cause recoil of the same scale while firing too.

Sushigod7

I agree with you a little apprehensive but excited to see happens. Maybe a little further into the next month he will clarify what is going to happen where money is going etc. I'm sure we'll get more details he can't expect to get 1-2 mil without more details. On a seperate note I need to go back and play some older games that I didn't know where out there Freespace 2 and Freelancer can't believe I missed those.

Derrick01

Banned
This intrigues me but I'm not making any decisions until I can learn that the meat of the game is SP. I do NOT want a demon's souls system with assholes invading my game and killing me all day and I don't want some F2P MMO atmosphere in the game. I just want to fly around space alone and do my thing.

XPE

The site being unable to take money could really hurt the project, needs to get it sorted out asap!

Grief.exe

Heard about this the other day, had some spare time on the train back from school. Read the previews and watched the video.

I actually became so engrossed that I missed my stop. Game looks amazing, excited to get in on the discussion here.

Mindlog

Why hello there. A new space sim from Chris Roberts you say?
Wow that trailer. It's one part comedy and one part chopping onions.
A controller is far worse.
In a good sim anyways.
Must have more buttons.

I played with Joystick/Keyboard for a long time before going total HOTAS. I wouldn't mind doing it again to save desk space.

Sentenza

A controller is far worse.
In a good sim anyways.
Must have more buttons.
Oh, I wasn't even considering to use *just* a controller for a space sim, be assured. i was thinking more to gamepad+keyboard.
So yeah, I agree, but that's not even my reason to say it's bad. I was referring more specifically to how the very short analog stick of a controller doesn't really fit the sensibility and accuracy you need to make advanced maneuvers in a flight/space sim.

You don't use an analog cloche to "walk" or "run" in these games, you actually use it to turn on your axis for 19° or 26°, for instance. So a gamepad analog stick is simply not good enough.

Mindlog

Oh, I wasn't even considering to use *just* a controller for a space sim, be assured. i was thinking more to gamepad+keyboard.
So yeah, I agree, but that's not even my reason to say it's bad. I was referring more specifically to how the very short analog stick of a controller doesn't really fit the sensibility and accuracy you need to make advanced maneuvers in a flight/space sim.

You don't use an analog cloche to "walk" or "run" in these games, you actually use it to turn on your axis for 19° or 26°, for instance. So a gamepad analog stick is simply not good enough.
Definitely. I've played and enjoyed Colony Wars. Even Project Sylpheed had some 'beggars can't be choosers' fun. However, the difference between a gamepad and joystick in a good space sim is even more pronounced than in the FPS department.

Zabojnik

Awesome. That's all. Probably the first game I'm going to kickstart too.

It's hard for me to believe as I've never given a cent to crowd funding initiatives — I kind of detest the practice — but here I am on the verge of pledging 5000 or 10000. For me, this is closest thing ever to a personal miracle.

MY GOD IT'S FULL OF STARS! Let's do this, guys. LET'S DO THIS. I'm pledging 125$/EUR as soon as the site starts working again. Dishonored, X-Com and now this ... where am I?

Wanace

Chris Roberts still has it!

I'm a bit surprised actually, and I was certainly skeptical of this project. I still don't like the whole MMO space universe thing (living in China doesn't let me play online across the world easily) but if I can play single player then I think I'll have just as much fun with this as I did with Wing Commander and Freelancer.

Munin

Roberts just sent out a mail apologizing for the outage, and mentioned this:

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

To think what they could have achieved if they had prepared their servers better...

Top Bottom