• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

My only concern at this stage is optimisation. Though I'm judging this based on pre-alpha footage, that sluggish panning of the battle cruiser made my PC weep.

Zaptruder

Banned
Looks like it was a pretty big mistake to go it alone.

Email from Roberts just now:

We're absolutely floored by the attention and humbled by your comments. We hoped everyone would be excited about the big idea behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42 -- but we had no expectation about the kind of praise and interest we received yesterday.

The downside of all this attention was that the huge number of people from all around the world trying to learn about Star Citizen and make their pledge, crashed our custom crowd funding page and also took down the core community site.

Until then, we were on track to break crowd funding records. Now, thirty hours later, we're only just getting the core site back online. The proper crowd funding page is still unfortunately down, but we have a backup site that, while not having the full range of features we intended, can take people’s pledges.

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

But an average of $100 a pledge is pretty impressive.

Corto

People that tried to pledge and couldn't because of the server outage will do so in the following days I'm sure. If you are hyped enough that you want to throw money at something as soon as possible, then you'll send that money no matter what.

Dead Man

It is, truly shows that people have been waiting for proper Wing Commander like games for a while.

Yep. There have been a couple fun games (X3 for example, if only I had the time to get into it properly) but nothing has scratched me Wing Commander itch for years.

People that tried to pledge and couldn't because of the server outage will do so in the following days I'm sure. If you are hyped enough that you want to throw money at something as soon as possible, then you'll send that money no matter what.

Exactly, it's not like many would just pledge 100$ on a whim, so they'll wait until the site gets back up. I know I do, looking forward to some physical stuff too.

Just bought a Thrustmaster Hotass X today for 50% off in my local store, this is a SIGN, everything will work out!

Grief.exe

Thats amazing that they were set to break crowd funding records before their site went down.

Still, the better part of $500,000 is amazing and that number will continue to grow as they get their site back up.

I know that getting that ticker back up would be huge, really helps to build hype.

FACE

Banned
Almost 500k in 30 hours is good. I hope their goal is crushed like what happened with Obsidian's Kickstarter.

Nope

I have a Saitek X52 and I still use keyboard for space sims

People seem to confuse flight sims and space sims and do not seem to realize that they rely on totally different mechanics. A plane handles much better with a joystick because you can tune movements easily and make smooth turns in the air.

Space sims require fast, precise movement rather than smooth movement. So a keyboard only works great.

I suppose it comes down to preference

yeah, I agree. I've got x52 as well and it just doesn't feel right for space sims. I got a cheaper logitech stick because of this and it's perfect. logitech force 3d pro.

Can you guys link some good controllers for a space sim?

look up the ^ logitech force 3d pro maybe. it works incredibly well for me in space games. evochron, x3 terran conflict. there is a logitech that's almost identical but without force feedback as well

LAMBO

Fighterstick is ready!

p13hS.jpg

post your sticks

Keasar

Have they said anything about what kind of ships you will be able to control? Saw a mention of "medium sized ships with a single fighter", but can it go bigger from there? Cause I would like to become captain for that carrier/battleship that was seen in the trailer.

Just saw the 10 minute video. I love how Roberts isn't afraid to be ambitious. The scope of the project is massive and could really be something special if done right.

And with the crowdfunding goal already a quarter of the way there, it looks like they've got the best start they could have asked for.

Munin

Pledge amounts are still not showing. Jeez, can't they get their shit together, surely it can't be that hard? And the site must have long stopped getting hammered too.

The only thing I wish for is that they would switch out the laser weaponry for more ballistics. I know this is early footage, but my problem usually with laser weapons is their constant tendency to look, sound and feel really lame. They are slow moving, don't have any punch to them and just looks and sounds silly.

While I know what I saw is early footage, and by early I mean eaaarly, but it still makes me wish for something a little punchy. We all know by now that space warfare using ballistic weaponry can be pretty fucking sweet thanks to Battlestar Galactica.

galPeg3.jpg

Agreed, the only laser weaponry, should be beam/lance weaponry.

It's not FreeSpace 3 (I'd seriously need to stop myself from overspending if that crowd-sourced project ever saw light of day) but I'll take this. Most definitely.

I wonder what the rationale was for not going through Kickstarter though. A real missed opportunity if their server crashed on day one.

Grief.exe

Pledge amounts are still not showing. Jeez, can't they get their shit together, surely it can't be that hard? And the site must have long stopped getting hammered too.

Ya I can't believe that they still don't have that configured.

Want to see how much money they are generating, and could potentially be losing impulse pledges if the main site is down.

I'm going to wait until the beginning of next month. I'm a poor college student and just bought an expensive text book so I have to wait until I get paid.

It's not FreeSpace 3 (I'd seriously need to stop myself from overspending if that crowd-sourced project ever saw light of day) but I'll take this. Most definitely.

I wonder what the rationale was for not going through Kickstarter though. A real missed opportunity if their server crashed on day one.

Kick starter doesn't work if you are outside the us. His company might be based somewhere else.

You don't get 100% of the proceeds from kick starter, they take a cut.

His business model is kind of strange. He wants this money to show investors that there is demand. Then they pour in more money. Not sure how that works with kick starter, especially since they updated the TOS.

Could be other reasons as well.

In for a penny, in a for a planet. I can see him making the 2 mil, but just barely. I hope his investors come through and give us everything. Where are the strech goals?
Edit: Found them. 6 million?! He's nuts. That would be the highest crowd funded project ever. It would catch the eye of people in every industry.

SparkTR

I hope he's working on a cool new video, needs to get back some of that attention only this time have a working website to benefit off it.

Munin

A lot of these stretch goals are things that I thought he was already promising for the base game. And they're so vague. "Rich storyline"? I thought that was a given anyway? And "Privateer gameplay"?I thought that's what it's all about? Man, I'm skeptical about this...

Lime

Just noticed this. I can't believe I missed it. Backed with $125, but I didn't see any charges for international shipping for the hardcover stuff. Anyone know what to do?

700k in 4 days including downtime is pretty impressive, though.

Tankshell

Kind of off topic, but every time I watch the trailer for this game it reminds me of an ancient unreleased Amiga game called Inferno, does anybody else remember that game?

I was unbelievably hyped for that game, and back in the days before the internets, collected every snippet of info I could on it via magazines etc.

I was gutted when it was cancelled and turned into a flight sim (TFX) =/

I think it was eventually released for PC, but I never had a PC at that age. *sob*

This game, THIS GAME will be my Inferno damnit.

Incoming nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfVceO1l4s8

Pledged 35 bucks. Really wanna see this go through.

I would like to forget about it, and then receive an email in the not too distant future telling me about the game being done. AND WAMMO

I AM PLAYING THE GAME OF GODS

~Kinggi~

Banned
The only thing I wish for is that they would switch out the laser weaponry for more ballistics. I know this is early footage, but my problem usually with laser weapons is their constant tendency to look, sound and feel really lame. They are slow moving, don't have any punch to them and just looks and sounds silly.

While I know what I saw is early footage, and by early I mean eaaarly, but it still makes me wish for something a little punchy. We all know by now that space warfare using ballistic weaponry can be pretty fucking sweet thanks to Battlestar Galactica.

galPeg3.jpg

That video is interesting. You know that isnt actually from the TV Show right? Apparently one single guy made that video.

All the ships are original content, and all shots and camera work in this film, is original, visual effects etc...created by me.

I hope you appreciate this video. It cost a marriage and 4 wonderful kids.

damn, dude.

Keasar

That video is interesting. You know that isnt actually from the TV Show right? Apparently one single guy made that video.

Oh I know, it was just for some reason really hard to find a proper battle clip from the real show. This one though works as well, shows about the same effects but on a larger scale.

Also wow, that is harsh.

Munin

They've done about 80,000 in the last 24 hours. At this pace they'll make it but probably not much more than that. Which worries me because these stretch goals are damn ambiguous and seem to imply that features originally promised for the base goal are now only in if X amount of money is reached.

Which brings me to another thing, why are stretch goals even that important here? His original argument was that the crowdfunding aspect was just to provide evidence of interest to larger investors.

Man, I dunno.

Perkel

Banned
They've done about 80,000 in the last 24 hours. At this pace they'll make it but probably not much more than that. Which worries me because these stretch goals are damn ambiguous and seem to imply that features originally promised for the base goal are now only in if X amount of money is reached.

Which brings me to another thing, why are stretch goals even that important here? His original argument was that the crowdfunding aspect was just to provide evidence of interest to larger investors.

Man, I dunno.

Because if he will get more money it means he will have much higher royalty from this game.

Sharp

Because if he will get more money it means he will have much higher royalty from this game.
Yup. This is more like a "normal" game in that he probably won't be retaining the rights or anything. In fact, this is an awful lot like what Feargus was talking about when he said a publisher asked Obsidian to do a kickstarter "for" them :p Not to dissuade anyone, of course.

gatti-man

Man, I dunno.

These stretch goals were there day 1 hour 1. It is what it is. As long as we get this genre off the ground nothing else matters to me.

Zabojnik

Kind of off topic, but every time I watch the trailer for this game it reminds me of an ancient unreleased Amiga game called Inferno, does anybody else remember that game?

I was unbelievably hyped for that game, and back in the days before the internets, collected every snippet of info I could on it via magazines etc.

I was gutted when it was cancelled and turned into a flight sim (TFX) =/

I think it was eventually released for PC, but I never had a PC at that age. *sob*

This game, THIS GAME will be my Inferno damnit.

Incoming nostalgia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfVceO1l4s8

Inferno was fucking amazing on PC. It totally blew my young mind. I can't say how good a game it actually was, but the vastness of it all is seeded deep inside my psyche. One minute you were flying around a planet's surface, the next you could enter and explore one of these huge bases. I still feel awe just thinking about how it made me feel at the time.

I'm ready, Chris. So, so ready.

Realistic laser weaponry would be like realistic sound of space battle - completly borring ;)

No it would be considerably more brutal and mechanical than scifi pew pew zap zap beams. High power pulsed lasers will bore holes through hulls in a spectacular fashion, a series of small explosions stacked on top of each other taking place microseconds apart. Once dust debris starts kicking about, they become visible (assuming visible wavelength) when shining through it. It has the potential to be visually stunning.

Grief.exe

A lot of these stretch goals are things that I thought he was already promising for the base game. And they're so vague. "Rich storyline"? I thought that was a given anyway? And "Privateer gameplay"?I thought that's what it's all about? Man, I'm skeptical about this...

I actually found an unofficial FAQ on the Star Citizen forums where they assembled all of the forum posts and facebook comments of the Star Citizen team in one place.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.c...ation-of-answers-from-the-devs-on-the-forums/

I can't find the quote now and I don't have time to read through thoroughly.

One post detailed that everything they promised would be released with the game, but the time it gets released depends on how much they raise initially. So if they get 4 million dollars from crowd funding, they will have a full featured game at launch. If they are only able to raise 2 million, than some of the features will have to come out after the game is released.

Top Bottom