• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Wow, funding is really picking up now that we're at the end. I can see this hitting 4.5m.

ronbtukm.jpg

Crazy stuff. I could see this actually going a bit higher than 4.5 Million too.

ezekial45

Banned
You'll be able to walk around in your space ship (provided it has more than just a cockpit, obviously), bars, bases, trading centers and such on planets ... that's about it. Atmosferic flying / planet exploration is something Roberts is very interested in, but that's a feature for another day. Or year, I should say. It would mean a whole new game. We're not getting it on launch. Understandably, I might add.

Fair enough. It looks really cool, though. I'm just hoping we'll get a game that'll allow us to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzDKj3hjOE

Shaneus

What's the difference between doing it on KS or RSI? I'm assuming the only real big deal is whether you only pay by CC on Amazon or if there are more options on Roberts' site.

Dynoro

What's the difference between doing it on KS or RSI? I'm assuming the only real big deal is whether you only pay by CC on Amazon or if there are more options on Roberts' site.

KS takes 5% of the cut on their side but means people have more options on how to pay.

Hana-Bi

There were some exclusive pledge goals on KS (you still would get them if you pledged on RSI) but after reaching $4.5 million all KS goals will be unlocked, so it doesn't matter anymore besides KS will get 5% of your pledge.

Shaneus

Thanks for clearing that up, gents. Went in for the $60 physical tier one (with the green card) but couldn't see an option for the $5 to cover postage. I'm sure that'll all get sorted soon enough anyway.

Hackbert

4,1 million as of now.. still going strong. hoping for the 4.5 million achievements

Good news: we’re continuing the system unlocks all the way to $5 million! At $4.1M, you’ve unlocked Kallis… and if you see another system, it’ll mean we’ve topped the crowd-funding record!

Kallis System
Ownership: UEE Scientific Outlay
Planets: 9
Planetary Rotation: Kalis IV 322 SED
Import: Research Equipment, Luxury Goods
Export: Rare Metals
Crime Status: Low
Black Market: None
UEE Strategic Value: Grey

Kallis is a system still in its infancy. All the planetary masses are still forming and cooling. It’s not ideal for colonists and with the exception of some rare metals in unusual concentrations it’s not great for merchants… but all eyes are on the system in the scientific community. As such, the system has no native population or representation in the UEE senate; it is officially governed by a panel of Imperial researchers.

Kalis IV, survey number DXP-55.7c, has attracted particular attention because of its believed similarity to Earth at this stage of a star system’s formation. Survey teams are observing the planet from orbital stations and spy-eye recon drones twenty-three hours a day and the work is less than thrilling. The potential for studying how an Earth-like planet is formed is exciting, but all parties involved know that it will take tens of thousands of years to gather the necessary data. Black market traders might be advised that the crews manning these posts will be looking for other forms of entertainment to fill their days.

Kallis’ 7th planet, a gas giant, has been identified as a potential refueling station, although only a small Lagrange platform currently exists there. The belief is that Kallis may become a jump hub as expansion into this region of the galaxy continues; canny real estate investors would be advised to purchase land deeds immediately.

Next, at $4.2M: “Massive SuperEarth planets terraformed solely for their resources.”

Shaneus

These systems we're unlocking... are they going to be MP only or are they for the SP/offline exploration mode as well?

Apologies if they're written somewhere in plain site on the RSI.com page. I never know what I'm looking for on that page (not gonna tell you how long it took me to find where to back it).

Sentenza

Reading about this game reminds me of reading about Battlecruiser 3000AD in previews in PC mags back in the 90's. At the time, I thought it was going to be my dream game. We all know how that went lol.
Well, to be fair Derek Smart and Chris Roberts aren't exactly comparable in terms of track record.

Hackbert

These systems we're unlocking... are they going to be MP only or are they for the SP/offline exploration mode as well?

Apologies if they're written somewhere in plain site on the RSI.com page. I never know what I'm looking for on that page (not gonna tell you how long it took me to find where to back it).

interesting question. i would guess both!
The 4 million update said something about 45 missions in squadron 42 (SP MODE) and a persistent universe with 50 (now 51) starsystems. I would hope that you can enjoy them SP and MP

I really want to Kickstart this but I absolutely don't have any money right now since I need all of my money to fund a move at the end of the month.

I'll have to pay full price when it releases, I suppose, and miss out on the perks.

But this game seems to be so awesome it will be worth it.

Xane

I really want to Kickstart this but I absolutely don't have any money right now since I need all of my money to fund a move at the end of the month.

I'll have to pay full price when it releases, I suppose, and miss out on the perks.

But this game seems to be so awesome it will be worth it.

People forget you can still update your pledges later for this campaign!
So either use Kickstarter or RSI to pledge the lowest amount possible ($10?), you should have that amount laying around somewhere, collecting dust~
And then, even after the campaign ends, you can upgrade to whatever you wanted to get in the first place later!

Do it, recruit!

For the PC.
For the SPACE-SIM! *salutes*

FACE

Banned
I think Star Citizen just broke Project Eternity's funding record.

Yes it did.

I thought they weren't going to pass Wasteland 2's numbers and now it looks like they'll crush the previous crowdfunding record for games. Thanks internet!

People forget you can still update your pledges later for this campaign!
So either use Kickstarter or RSI to pledge the lowest amount possible ($10?), you should have that amount laying around somewhere, collecting dust~
And then, even after the campaign ends, you can upgrade to whatever you wanted to get in the first place later!

Do it, recruit!

For the PC.
For the SPACE-SIM! *salutes*

Oh, yeah? That's pretty awesome, I had no idea.

epmode

Remember when those first Black Prophecy screenshots were released and we were all excited that a real space sim might be in development but then it turned out to be a semi-lousy free-to-play MMO with no single player campaign and then the developer imploded and we thought that the genre was dead dead dead forever? Good times.

I dont know if we'll make it to 4.5 mil. Would be VERY nice though.

This will definitely hit $4.5M. Maybe even $5M.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Have they said anything at all what these star systems and planets even mean from a gameplay perspective? I really hope there is some advanced economy mining/resource stuff at work.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Have they said anything at all what these star systems and planets even mean from a gameplay perspective? I really hope there is some advanced economy mining/resource stuff at work.

There will be, like Privateer. You buy food at an agricultural world, take it to a system full of mining operations, then buy raw materials there and fly to a manufacturing center, then buy manufactured goods there and take them to the agricultural planet. Etc. etc.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It is actually growing pretty rapidly considering there are still 2 days left. Is most of the money coming from kickstarter or the main site now?

FACE

Banned
By the way: you guys are now unlocking systems faster than our artists can finish them… we promise we’ll add the missing concepts in the near future.

I laughed.

It is actually growing pretty rapidly considering there are still 2 days left. Is most of the money coming from kickstarter or the main site now?

I think most of the money is coming from the RSI website.

Zabojnik

New update!

We’ve come a long way! With 48 hours to go, we’re at well over $4 million and we’ve already set the record for crowd-funding games! The final few stretch goals are near… the campaign couldn’t have gone any better.

It’s time to reveal how the campaign is going to end. Over the next 24 hours you’re going to get a number of updates about all aspects of the Star Citizen project. Everything from art to music to team member introductions… the sort of things you’ve come to expect over the past month, released quickly! Then, at the 24 hour mark (1 PM CST on Sunday) the party really gets started.

We will be live-streaming the end of the campaign live from Cloud Imperium’s temporary offices in Austin, Texas! You’ll watch Chris and the team broadcast the final hours of the campaign telethon-style until this is all finally over. We’ll be answering fan questions, giving away prizes and generally having a great time… and since we’ll be in Austin we’ve arranged for some special guests from the old days of Origin and developing Wing Commander to stop by and swap war stories!

We’re also going to be offering several limited-time special-offer ship packages. We want to stress beforehand, though, that these are ONLY to support the game. Every single additional ship we offer for sale in the next 48 hours will never be sold for cash again… but they will be available through gameplay. If you decide to pick one up, it should be because you want to support Star Citizen and not because you’re worried it’s a ship you’ll never have otherwise. Check back soon to see the new ship options!

Wait, what’s this? Breaking news! A message bearing the golden seal of the Imperator himself: Congratulation Citizens! Your dedication to the cause is impossible to deny. Working with the imperial fleet shipyards, I have secured one final lofty stretch goal for you: if we can reach the previously impossible $5.5 million level, then the Bengal carrier will be playable in the finished game. It will be very difficult to earn a Bengal… but when you do, it will be an amazing base for clans, squadrons and guilds. Can we get there?

You heard the man! $5.5 million to fly the Bengal carrier in Star Citizen. Here’s to a great 48 hours!

It has begun!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Every time i see an update or see a video from Roberts i cant stop thinking

nerds.jpg

Im not saying that in a negative way its just goddamn these guys are into their lore.

Zabojnik

Apparently one of the guests will be Richard Garriott. Can't fucking wait. That will be our chance to bug him about an Ultima-style Kickstarter project.

Babalu.

wow at that Bengal! imagine your friends all able to dock their personal crafts into this big carrier for meetings or to hang out together inside. freaking crazy. and new ships in the marathon is sweet. hopefully the site doesn't go down

Zabojnik

wow at that Bengal! imagine your friends all able to dock their personal crafts into this big carrier for meetings or to hang out together inside. freaking crazy. and new ships in the marathon is sweet. hopefully the site doesn't go down

Yeah, but imagine what insurance & fuel would cost you to run that beast, haha.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am still a bit confused though on the whole integration of the online aspect. I honestly stay away from EVE cause its a completely player-drive world, with players that are far more advanced. So it is not very satisfying relying on others when you are a newbie. So if i have ways to achieve that huge ship through single-player activities thats great, and dont have to rely on doing MMO activities. But to me it only sounds like the military campaign is the only single-player aspect here.

Zabojnik

But to me it only sounds like the military campaign is the only single-player aspect here.

How so? You'll could be a bounty hunter hunting AI pirates, a miner, a trader, an explorer looking for jump points to new systems, derelict ships, alien technology, etc. There'll be other people doing the same and you could interact with them ... or not. You could setup your own server and only be bothered by the AI.

XPE

I think carriers should only be clan things, kind of like your own mobile clan base and clan members should help pay for it, its just so you got get some random guy with a carrier.

Zabojnik

I think carriers should only be clan things, kind like your own mobile clan base and clan members should help pay for it, its just so you got get some random guy with a carrier.

I'm pretty sure that (or some version of that) will be the case.

Top Bottom