• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Now at 5.2Mill :O its flying up

Yep, this is better than the WiiU launch.
I6GSf.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I consider pledging. This thing is getting made anyway but Wing Commander 1-2 is one of the brightest memories of my childhood and I played pirated copies of them because they weren't distributed here at the time. So I sort of own Chris for those hours of fun.

gatti-man

I consider pledging. This thing is getting made anyway but Wing Commander 1-2 is one of the brightest memories of my childhood and I played pirated copies of them because they weren't distributed here at the time. So I sort of own Chris for those hours of fun.

That's at least $100, you know what to do!

Gattsu25

Banned
My first Wing Commander game was Prophecy which I enjoyed until I played Freespace

I then went back and played Wing Commander 2 and 3 and loved them. Great games.

I also really enjoyed Freelancer.

However, the main thing that is getting me to fund this is the footage that was in the pitch video. Even without this guy's previous game history I would be all over that shit in a heartbeat.

vocab

Worried about the optimization of Cryengine 3 with this game. Have not seen an impressive Cryengine 3 game besides ones from Crytek.

subversus

However, the main thing that is getting me to fund this is the footage that was in the pitch video. Even without this guy's previous game history I would be all over that shit in a heartbeat.

the footage is impressive but Chris is able to get stuff done as his carreer shows (both in Origin and Hollywood).

gatti-man

Worried about the optimization of Cryengine 3 with this game. Have not seen an impressive Cryengine 3 game besides ones from Crytek.

What's to optimize? Space games can look amazing without much gpu grunt required. I'm hoping the AI and physics/effects are god like.

gatti-man

Having millions of polys everywhere because of interior ships and player characters is gonna bog things down a bitch.

Ok that's true. Hopefully he can work some magic with that. I know you can switch between low and high poly models depending on situation but I have no idea how its done to say with certainty it would apply with squadron 42.

SparkTR

In regards to performance they're aiming for an i7 2500 (or equivalent i5) with a 670 to max it out, which should be cheap in two years when this releases. It can scale down to a 470 as well in regards to GPU.

jet1911

This game was my first time too. Looks to really be worth it.

Indeed, everything I saw looks spectacular. Chris Roberts was also involved in two of my favorites games of all time (Starlancer, Freelancer) so I pretty much had no choice to back this project. :D

Mechwarrior Online? This games looks great and the last time I played it was running fine.

Perkel

Banned
5 237 000 $ Amazing. It is already more than Project Eternity by milion.

What a wonderfull year. I say this again if somebody would tell me that in 2012 there will be succesfull fundraisers for games like Wasteland 2, Obsidian isometric RPG, Total anihiliation spiritual succesor, Full scale Wind Comander/Freelancer mix with next gen graphic i wouldn't believe that.

Right now 6mln looks like achievable goal. If RSI site would be working from day1 we would be above 6 mln right now. Also this shows that multiple campains like kickstarter and their site is better than just one.

If kickstarter like community will grew (because it is growing) and knowledge of what is kickstarter like funding and why it matter in a year we will probably see game that will reach magical 10mln mark.

Superb times for a hardcore gamer we live i say.

BTW 6 milion needs to happen:

oh i noticed they locked 6mln. It was to view when RSI luched. They need to update site assap with 5,5 mln.. and 6 mln.

gatti-man

5 237 000 $ Amazing. It is already more than Project Eternity by milion.

What a wonderfull year. I say this again if somebody would tell me that in 2012 there will be succesfull fundraisers for games like Wasteland 2, Obsidian isometric RPG, Total anihiliation spiritual succesor, Full scale Wind Comander/Freelancer mix with next gen graphic i wouldn't believe that.

Right now 6mln looks like achievable goal. If RSI site would be working from day1 we would be above 6 mln right now. Also this shows that multiple campains like kickstarter and their site is better than just one.

If kickstarter like community will grew (because it is growing) and knowledge of what is kickstarter like funding and why it matter in a year we will probably see game that will reach magical 10mln mark.

Superb times for a hardcore gamer we live i say.

It also says Fuck EA and any other publisher ignoring this genre.

Perkel

Banned
It also says Fuck EA and any other publisher ignoring this genre.

Right now not really. If fundraising games will reach 10mln then it will make big publishers alarm signal.

Because 10-20 mln is right now budget for normal games (-AAA games like blops or re6).

What this mean for them is that there will be game in two years which will eat part of their market and with it being competition for their own games. Also 10mln for kickstarter is actually more than 10mln for publisher funded game because as fargo said it's publishers that rise cost of games so much (like 30%) on things that doesn't matter that much. Cut the middle men and game promotion which is alone 10-20mln on smaller games. And we are looking at situation where 10mln will get you game by fundraising where publisher need to spent 2-3 times more for same game to be succesfull.

Right now 2013 and 2014 look like wonderfull time and i already don't plan to buy much games then beside kickstarter games. That is what publisher fears. Lack of your money.

What is even more positive is that. Kickstarter games IPs are ownded by Devs and will be profitable from day 1 since their funding was already covered.

Publishers needs to sell XXX amount of coppies to break even where kickstarter games since day 1 is profit for them.

This could really by nail in coffin for standard game publishing model. It is just far better and more profitable giving much more creativity and for most important part it is quick way for Dev studios independence which would mean more Valves and Epics meaning better games.

epmode

Well, EA approached Chris Roberts to make Wing Commander V as a current gen console focused game.

I don't even want to think about what a console-focused Wing Commander would be.

What was that? Wing Commander Arena? I don't know what you're talking about.

gatti-man

Right now not really. If fundraising games will reach 10mln then it will make big publishers alarm signal.

Because 10-20 mln is right now budget for normal games (-AAA games like blops or re6).

What this mean for them is that there will be game in two years which will eat part of their market and with it being competition for their own games. Also 10mln for kickstarter is actually more than 10mln for publisher funded game because as fargo said it's publishers that rise cost of games so much (like 30%) on things that doesn't matter that much. Cut the middle men and game promotion which is alone 10-20mln on smaller games. And we are looking at situation where 10mln will get you game by fundraising where publisher need to spent 2-3 times more for same game to be succesfull.

Right now 2013 and 2014 look like wonderfull time and i already don't plan to buy much games then beside kickstarter games. That is what publisher fears. Lack of your money.
How much did the witcher cost? How about metro or Freelancer? Bloated console games don't equate to the costs of a space flight game. The costs of games on neogaf is something blown way out of proportion.

A game like this needs 10 million max IMO, really if you were developing out of the country I bet 4 million is more likely. If it raises 6 with a promo video and art it could easily triple that with a well made game and advertising push in actual sales. I bet if this achieves what Chris wants it could do 30 million easily in its first year.
I don't even want to think about what a console-focused Wing Commander would be.

What was that? Wing Commander Arena? I don't know what you're talking about.

They brought Wing Commander to ps2, it sucked. A new console wing commander would probably play like Colony Wars which would be mediocre unless thoroughly streamlined like blops in space.

Mass Effect series has been put on notice.

Next, I want Roberts to team up with Toys For Bob and make a new Star Control game.
Are you saying mass effect and wing commander are the same or similar genre? Love mass effect but its Gears in space. Nothing like Wing Commander. The morality choices though are similar minus the morality wheel in ME.

Perkel

Banned
How much did the witcher cost? How about metro or Freelancer? Bloated console games don't equate to the costs of a space flight game. The costs of games on neogaf is something blown way out of proportion.

A game like this needs 10 million max IMO, really if you were developing out of the country I bet 4 million is more likely. If it raises 6 with a promo video and art it could easily triple that with a well made game and advertising push in actual sales. I bet if this achieves what Chris wants it could do 30 million easily in its first year.

Witcher 2 was around 8 mln$. What you said it is true for external devs. But cost of living in Poland is nowhere near US level.

For US it is said that 100k is normal for 1 dev year. With 5mln you are looking at 25 people which will work for 2 years in Poland that would give you twice people if not more.

Reason why kickstarter is such a good idea is that devs can profit from it making their own studio which don't need to beg for money from publishers.

Mindlog

Orchestral score at 6m.
How much more for Ruskay or Bryan El?

What am I talking about, no one knows who they are.
If Capcom could afford Bear Mccreary for Dark Void then we have a new 6.5m goal.

gatti-man

Witcher 2 was around 8 mln$. What you said it is true for external devs. But cost of living in Poland is nowhere near US level.

For US it is said that 100k is normal for 1 dev year. With 5mln you are looking at 25 people which will work for 2 years in Poland that would give you twice people if not more.

Reason why kickstarter is such a good idea is that devs can profit from it making their own studio which don't need to beg for money from publishers.

Sounds about right. So 30 people for 3 years is 4.5 million. Studio and materials 1 million. Advertising 1 million. Still not seeing the huge costs for a PC game especially one set in space.

Perkel

Banned
Sounds about right. So 30 people for 3 years is 4.5 million. Studio and materials 1 million. Advertising 1 million. Still not seeing the huge costs for a PC game especially one set in space.

That's poland not US. I know it is maybe radiculous idea for a gamer but i think both central and US devs can peacefully coexist. And since US devs have such a tallents like MCA i don't see why games should be offloaded to developing countries.

Games are art not cars. Different regions each have their own flavors and we should keep it that way because it generates a lot of creativity.

Lord British in da house! That was cool. Ultimate RPG, eh?

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Wrong thread ?

Babalu.

damnit are they going to show the ships? I can't decide between the hornet, cutlass, and freelancer.

I just want to see how they look!

androvsky

They brought Wing Commander to ps2, it sucked. A new console wing commander would probably play like Colony Wars which would be mediocre unless thoroughly streamlined like blops in space.

It was the PS1, both Wing Commander III and IV were ported (and IV is available on PSN!). From what I can tell from what little I've played they didn't change much, if anything. The main problem was they had to support original PSX controllers, so they were even more limited on buttons and axis. There's lots of shift buttons, it's kinda nuts (iirc, auto-pilot to next nav point is L1+L2+R1+R2). :)

subversus

I don't remember Wing Commander being a complicated space sim. Seems like a perfect console game, shame it wasn't made, we would get Wing Commander AND Star Citizen. I'd take both.

Shaneus

It was the PS1, both Wing Commander III and IV were ported (and IV is available on PSN!). From what I can tell from what little I've played they didn't change much, if anything. The main problem was they had to support original PSX controllers, so they were even more limited on buttons and axis. There's lots of shift buttons, it's kinda nuts (iirc, auto-pilot to next nav point is L1+L2+R1+R2). :)
There was also a Wing Commander game on XBLA, but from memory it bore little resemblance to any of the other games, except in name. IIRC it was crappy.

UltraMav

I don't remember Wing Commander being a complicated space sim. Seems like a perfect console game, shame it wasn't made, we would get Wing Commander AND Star Citizen. I'd take both.

They were pretty shoddy ports, but I have fond memories of watching the WC IV movies on the "big screen" of the living room with my family sitting around. One of the few times I could involve the adults in my hobby. :p

subversus

They were pretty shoddy ports, but I have fond memories of watching the WC IV movies on the "big screen" of the living room with my family sitting around. One of the few times I could involve the adults in my hobby. :p

I skipped WC 3-4... didn't have the proper hardware at the time and when I got it I forgot about the game. There was no internet to remind me about it!

Shaneus

Okay, THIS is fucking awesome:
Wing Commander was originally titled Squadron, later renamed Wingleader. As development for Wing Commander came to a close, the EMM386 memory manager the game used would give an exception when the user exited the game. It would print out a message similar to "EMM386 Memory manager error..." with additional information. The team couldn't isolate and fix the error and they needed to ship it as soon as possible. As a work-around, Ken Demarest, a developer on the game, hex-edited the memory manager so it displayed a different message. Instead of the error message, it printed "Thank you for playing Wing Commander."

Amazing.

Zaptruder

Banned
I didn't realize that Chris Roberts actually had a decent film career after Wing Commander. I thought it crashed and burned with that film!

Top Bottom