• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

DieH@rd

Banned
Ah, old genres are poping out everywhere. We will see how much will he collect, Project CARS uses same model [no kickstarter, access to alpha builds] and they managed to collect $1.6 mil so far from users.

This looks glorious, and when their site start working, I will definable check out payment tiers.

Perkel

Banned
Ah, old genres are poping out everywhere. We will see how much will he collect, Project CARS uses same model [no kickstarter, access to alpha builds] and they managed to collect $1.6 mil so far from users.

This looks glorious, and when their site start working, I will definable check out payment tiers.

Then why in thread title it says 3mln€ ?

BTW site again is down.

SparkTR

They should definitely make the crowdsourcing phase longer, they still have two years left of development. Also I think the game is called Star Citizen, Squadron 42 is just the SP mode.

SparkTR

Just read the Gamespy article, apparently EA asked him to come back and make WC5 but he rejected their offer because he didn't want it to turn into "a yearly COD-like churn".

Zarx

Offline confirmed, well I'm in
Online stuff looks amazing as well, god damn this game looks/sounds amazing in every way

Corto

A multimillion dollars space sim... Someone pinch me please.

Sorry Avelone and Co. but Space needs some love too. Need to split the difference on this and Project Eternity. Next 2-3 years can turn in to the true golden era of gaming.

Make mine a double Roberts. Thanks.

Zaptruder

Banned
Oculus Rift Support pretty much guaranteed? Goddammit Roberts, stop making me throw money at you!

Hahaha... So from what I can gather they're doing a semi-persistent online universe (kinda like MWO).

And the higher tiers are giving you access to capital ships? That's fuckin' awesome.

Krilekk

Banned
Sounds a lot like what he wanted to do with Freelancer. Why should he achieve his goal now? To create such a huge project is not what I'd expect for what is essentially a startup. All that MMO stuff needs tons of time, experience and money.

Perkel

Banned
Because Developers managed to secure around 1.5 mil euro.
http://forum.wmdportal.com/ < look at the top

Ahaaa. I see. But still it's a lot considering that they starter before Kickstarter DF project.

What an amazing time we live. Just at start of this year everything was normal and then Bam everything is amazing. Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Double Fine adventure, Planetary Anihilation and now Star Citizen. It is still two months to go and i feel that this is just the beggining of a new era for video game industry.

If someone said to me that in 2012 this will happen i would outright laugh at him. And here we are in this amazing amazing time.

Jac_Solar

Really, really doubt it's actual gameplay footage, since it was described as "Actual game assets rendered in real time in game engine" -- maybe they used an external renderer, maybe they used extremely detailed models, maybe they used some extreme effects/filters/techniques that needs to be "pre-rendered".

Why not simply write "Actual gameplay footage" if that's what it is?

Zaptruder

Banned
Really, really doubt it's actual gameplay footage, since it was described as "Actual game assets rendered in real time in game engine". Why not simply write "Actual gameplay footage" if that's what it is?

Probably because they'll continue iterating and updating the gameplay over the course of the next 18 months?

Plus a lot of the footage are kinda cutscenes.

Corto

Really, really doubt it's actual gameplay footage, since it was described as "Actual game assets rendered in real time in game engine". Why not simply write "Actual gameplay footage" if that's what it is?

Watch the pitch video above. Really.

Perkel

Banned
Sounds a lot like what he wanted to do with Freelancer. Why should he achieve his goal now? To create such a huge project is not what I'd expect for what is essentially a startup. All that MMO stuff needs tons of time, experience and money.

It is not MMO in strict sense. There are no levels or skill progression only economy content and world. And this is a space game meaning most of assets are ships stations not environment which is most costly.

Just look for games like X3 ot Freelancer those were basically Open World games. Adding worlds to a persistent space world should not be that much problem. Just 5-6 space backgrounds few spherical planets some lore and here you are new world with a fraction of budget.

Really, really doubt it's actual gameplay footage, since it was described as "Actual game assets rendered in real time in game engine" -- maybe they used an external renderer, maybe they used extremely detailed models, maybe they used some extreme effects/filters/techniques that needs to be "pre-rendered".

Watch pitch video. There is a lot of gameplay. This " "Actual game assets rendered in real time in game engine" is what it means. All of those assets you see in gameplay pitch video are the same but because this is still prototype they can't show any gamplay with trailer quality IQ.

Remmy2112

I shall now repeat a popular saying I've never have cause to utter before. *clears throat* Here goes.... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

SparkTR

He was playing the game live on the stream and he said the trailer was running in real-time on a GTX 670. It wasn't 'gameplay' probably because the sequences were scripted for cinematic/trailer purposes.

Munin

Because there isn't any gameplay yet

Perkel

Banned
Because there isn't any gameplay yet

That is a false. Watch pitch video and gamespot streamed his GDC conferrence when he played it. It was early build prototype stage but it was glorious with fully working physic based ship controls player in hangar movement and more.

gatti-man

That is a false. Watch pitch video and gamespot streamed his GDC conferrence when he played it. It was early build prototype stage but it was glorious with fully working physic based ship controls player in hangar movement and more.

I'm so excited. That live footage is just WOW

Zaptruder

Banned
Down for $125.

Yeah, gimme that unco turboprop fan looking ship.

What the hell is a fan doing on a ship in space? I don't know, but give it to me anyway!

Keasar

After watching that presentation and reading it will have Oculus Rift support, this was my immediate reaction:

484.jpg

Down for $125.

Yeah, gimme that unco turboprop fan looking ship.

What the hell is a fan doing on a ship in space? I don't know, but give it to me anyway!

I'd like to pledge more but DLC stuff isn't gonna cut it for me, throw in an Artbook, Music CD and nice Spacefighter model and I'd double my pledge.

Perkel

Banned
The entire universe will run on a robust economy, Roberts tells me. Players will have to pay with in-game credit to repair their ships, buy upgrades, buy items to trade or sell. Roberts says his plans include things like spaceship insurance, which will protect those investments. There will be taxes and tariffs, all modified by your location in the universe and whether or not you're a citizen.

Oh my god that is amazing.

Perkel

Banned
Those stretch goals are out of control. A "deep storyline" at $5 million? In 30 days? Good luck with that.

Yeah i don't get it. Why did they do 30 days and not 60. I would gladly pay 2x 60$. Second one on next paycheck but 30 days is just to little time for anything above 2-3mln.

Top Bottom