• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

char0n

In CR I trust. Space sims have been waaaay too far into the "build an economy/manage a ship RTS style" types of games with weak/tacked on dogfighting combat almost as an afterthought if at all. Bring on the X-Wing/WC style games like the original Privateer and Freespace where being an all-out bounty-hunter/pirate isn't something that's only fun/sustainable after spending days worth of time building a small trade empire (I'm looking at you X games).

I wonder why they did not use Kickstarter.

I need to decide on my pledge. IS there a deadline, etc?

I wrote an article on my site and asked them actually. Here's their response;

Right now we're planning a 30-day crowdfunding cycle, that's what will determined whether or not the game gets made. We haven't planned for beyond that, but I'm thinking we will be making packages available then as well if everything goes well!

image.php

edit: damn, this is huge. It can't be done. I can't believe it.

Lol so? WC1 was the only good WC game. And it was good in spite of Chris Roberts not because of him. Everything WC related that he had more control over sucked or did you guys forget about the WC movie? How do you get a movie based on your own creation...that you directed... wrong?

Besides, went to the site and this sounds suspiciously like an mmo in everything but name. Call me skeptical on this.

edit: Read more about it. This game seems to want to be everything to everyone at once. It wants to be SP. It wants to be MP. It wants to be Open world. It wants to be a resource trader like game. It has no clear philosophy.

Perkel

Banned
Lol so? WC1 was the only good WC game. And it was good in spite of Chris Roberts not because of him. Everything WC related that he had more control over sucked or did you guys forget about the WC movie? How do you get a movie based on your own creation...that you directed... wrong?

Besides, went to the site and this sounds suspiciously like an mmo in everything but name. Call me skeptical on this.

So ? This is dude which directed Lord of War movie. He did WC game and no later WC were good.

gatti-man

edit: Read more about it. This game seems to want to be everything to everyone at once. It wants to be SP. It wants to be MP. It wants to be Open world. It wants to be a resource trader like game. It has no clear philosophy.

An mmo in a semi persistent world could be awesome plus it has sp. And wc2/3 were great. Not as amazing as 1 but saying they weren't great for the time just isn't true.

Wing Commander, Privateer, and Freelancer combined? Music to my ears. The production values look really high too. 2014 seems so far away now.

Hmm not too bad. Needs to pick up though or it won't hit 2mil in 30 days

One of the things that isn't helping is the site constantly going down. I know there is a backup site and all that but for some people such as myself I don't want to start chucking my credit card around a site that may or may not process my pledge properly. So I will wait till things calm down.

One of the things that isn't helping is the site constantly going down. I know there is a backup site and all that but for some people such as myself I don't want to start chucking my credit card around a site that may or may not process my pledge properly. So I will wait till things calm down.

Ya I'm waiting too. Means I can pay more since I get paid soon though.

gatti-man

I'd rather it be similar to Wing Commander 2, the free-roam stuff does nothing for me, give me a branching campaign with varied and interesting missions.

I'm so desperate for space combat I'd take anything on the pc at this point. I mean wtf it's been so long!

x-Lundz-x

THIS LOOKS FUCKING INCREDIBLE. FINALLY A PROPER SPACE SIM FROM THE MAN HIMSELF! I HAVE BEEN WAITING ALMOST 15 YEARS FOR THIS, THANK YOU CHRIS!!!!! WING COMMANDER I - IV ARE THE BEST GAMES OF ALL TIME!!!

Sorry for the caps, I'm kinda excited.....

Victrix

*beard*
Sadly I'm no longer a believer

Years of almost-awesomes have left me a bitter husk of a man, I have lost my faith in the glory of the space sim

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On paper this sounds like my dream game. So fucking hyped

But at the same time it sounds a bit to overambitious, I remember the amount of things he promised for Freelancer and how the final game only lived up to half of it. I'm hoping that was only the result of being held back by technology. He should hopefully be able to deliver upon all his promises this time.

Oh, and considering how far away it is, and the fact he's relying on crowd-sourcing for the budget, I'm somewhat concerned that it might get cancelled before it's even finished.;_;

gatti-man

Ever tried any of the X games? X Rebirth is supposedly coming out soon.

X rebirth? I will check it out.

On paper this sounds like my dream game. So fucking hyped

But at the same time it sounds a bit to overambitious, I remember the amount of things he promised for Freelancer and how the final game only lived up to half of it. I'm hoping that was only the result of being held back by technology. He should hopefully be able to deliver upon all his promises this time.

Oh, and considering how far away it is, and the fact he's relying on crowd-sourcing for the budget, I'm somewhat concerned that it might get cancelled before it's even finished.;_;
With all the assets he's already created I am pretty confident we will get something. The production values in face animations and character textures may falter but the space stuff looks ready now. Gameplay is all that really matters to me.

Maiger

I need this in my veins right now!

On the other hand I'm a bit cautious about backing a project we really don't know that much about and which is most likely over two years away. But.. Spaceships.. In space.. So much space.. Maybe I'll just give them a little bit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
This looks pretty god damn ridiculous.

_woLf

They NEED to put this shit on Kickstarter. Their own site can't handle it.

Also, the $30 and $40 pledges are the same..?

Hari Seldon

OH MY FUCKING GOD CHRIS ROBERTS IS BACK WITH A SPACE SIM!????????????

Edit: Crowdfunded? Damn website is down lol. I want to give my money!

Top Bottom