• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wait it is...?

is that the top of the line 300 model?

It's the fastest one, but not as beefy as the 325. I figured that being able to outrun everything (except the relatively wimpy M50) would be very useful for running those high-risk areas where insurance doesn't apply.

Update: here's a quote on the limited time ships:

Limited Ship Clarification

You may have noticed that ships like the M50 and Retaliator are available again in the RSI store. In case it was not clear, this is for a limited time only! T he following ships will be unavailable after July 6th at midnight PST: Aurora LX, 350r, M50, Starfarer, Caterpillar, Gladiator and Retaliator. After that, these ships go back in the hangar… so pick one up now, if you’d like to start Star Citizen with a tanker, a bomber or a ultra-fast racing ship. Other pledge ships, including the 315p and 325a, will remain available after July 6th.

So yeah, the 350r is only available until end of day July 6.

The retaliator bomber sounds interesting but that's too much for me.

garath

So I've already pledged and have an Aurora LX as well as the alpha/beta access. I'm looking at the pledges and basically it looks like I'd have to pay an additional $50+ to get another ship? Seems really steep.

I'd like a 300i but I don't want to pay $55 for it. I'd much rather spend an additional $20 and get the veteran bounty hunter package instead of the Aurora package I bought for $45. Guess that's not possible huh.

Oooh.. it looks like I can 'reclaim' my package and get my $45 back and instead pay $65 for the higher package? Is this right?

Raticus79

Yes, you can reclaim/melt what you've got and buy a different package and pay the difference. Just make sure you get one that includes the alpha/beta access.

garath

Yes, you can reclaim/melt what you've got and buy a different package and pay the difference. Just make sure you get one that includes the alpha/beta access.

Oh god. I need to leave this thread and never come back. I melted the Aurora and came back with a 300i package. I originally had no real intentions of playing a lot of Star Citizen, just interested in the single player Squadron 42 but I guess I decided it's worth $20 to at least be able to jump in with something other than a starter ship.

dammit. Lol. They make it so easy to spend "just a little more"

injurai

Banned
It's the fastest one, but not as beefy as the 325. I figured that being able to outrun everything (except the relatively wimpy M50) would be very useful for running those high-risk areas where insurance doesn't apply.

Update: here's a quote on the limited time ships:

So yeah, the 350r is only available until end of day July 6.

The retaliator bomber sounds interesting but that's too much for me.

hmm so the M50 is going to be the fastest ship in the game or something?

anyways I'm really tempted to pick up one of the 300 packages, probably the R

Raticus79

hmm so the M50 is going to be the fastest ship in the game or something?

anyways I'm really tempted to pick up one of the 300 packages, probably the R

Here's a thread about it: http://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/2248-m50-vs-350r/

350r:

Builder: ORIGIN JUMPWORKS GmbH
Mass (empty): 17,000 KG
Upgrade Capacity: 6
Cargo Capacity: 5 tonnes
Engine-Modifiers: 2?
Max. Class: Fusion
Thrusters: 2x TR3 (Hammer Propulsion HM 4.3), 12x TR1
Shields: Gorgon Defender AllStop

Hardpoints-
2 x Class 1: Equipped 2 x A&R Omnisky III Laser Cannon
1 x Class 2: None Equipped
2 x Class 3: None Equipped

M50:

Builder: ORIGIN JUMPWORKS GmbH
Mass (empty): 14,000 Kg
Upgrade Capacity: 5
Cargo Capacity: 3 tonnes
Engine-Modifiers: 3
Max. Class: Fusion

Thrusters: 2 x TR4, 8 x TR2
Hardpoints-
2 x Class 2: Equipped 2 x Kroneg AS-44 Needle Repeater Laser
2 x Class 3: Equipped 2 x Talon Devastator (HS) missiles

The M50 is faster (maybe out of the box and definitely when upgraded) but the 350r might have a fuel economy advantage. It was a hot topic on the old forums too. 350r beats it hands down for weapons. If the only thing I have to worry about catching me is the m50, then I'm in good shape I think.

Mindlog

Keep in mind the current numbers are very preliminary. All of it is subject to change.
Speculative assessments here.

Right now I'm still going to take an M50 over a 350r or Hornet. From past space combat games I'm a little better than average, but interceptors are still fragile. Base M50s don't need insurance to cover potential cargo. Hornets are much stronger dedicated fighters, but again I'll want insurace for weapons. M50 strikes a balance between ship I want and contribution to SC. All of this is subject to change :D

I'm getting talked into a Connie. The Goonfleet Star Citizen roster is pretty crazy.

Rommel

Keep in mind the current numbers are very preliminary. All of it is subject to change.
Speculative assessments here.

Right now I'm still going to take an M50 over a 350r or Hornet. From past space combat games I'm a little better than average, but interceptors are still fragile. Base M50s don't need insurance to cover potential cargo. Hornets are much stronger dedicated fighters, but again I'll want insurace for weapons. M50 strikes a balance between ship I want and contribution to SC. All of this is subject to change :D

I'm getting talked into a Connie. The Goonfleet Star Citizen roster is pretty crazy.

Goonfleet is coming over? Lol this should be fun

Mindlog

Goonfleet is coming over? Lol this should be fun
Who you with? Former ASCN group? On Goons I'm seeing over 257 pilots with 491 ships valuing $65, 035.

Friend gave me a compelling not to get a Connie. Instead I should buy a bunch of Starter Packages to give to fence sitters and we'll host a private server. That's not a terrible idea. I'd still be playing Star Citizen until the noobs master a decent Space Thach Weave.

Rommel

Who you with? Former ASCN group? On Goons I'm seeing over 257 pilots with 491 ships valuing $65, 035.

Friend gave me a compelling not to get a Connie. Instead I should buy a bunch of Starter Packages to give to fence sitters and we'll host a private server. That's not a terrible idea. I'd still be playing Star Citizen until the noobs master a decent Space Thach Weave.

I'm in Aces, we have over 40k so far ship wise.

I did play eve but not with Aces

Mindlog

Guild Database

There are a lot of big groups already.

ACES, Blue Horizon, Systems United Navy, Black Widow Company, Imperium, Eternal Vigilance. (Ca. 800 combined)
And groups of big groups -_- That group is too big. I get the feeling I will be flying against it.

Mindlog

A group that big sounds dangerous though. Power monopolies are boring.

A scenario I envision is playing with a small group of good pilots and breaking stuff. Then when the inevitable blob shows up just log off and mess around on a private server. Small scale PvP will be my bread and butter enjoyment.

We'll see how it all plays out. Fun to speculate, but still lots of time until the game is released. Knowing EVE the PACT is already loaded with spies :p

Rommel

A scenario I envision is playing with a small group of good pilots and breaking stuff. Then when the inevitable blob shows up just log off and mess around on a private server. Small scale PvP will be my bread and butter enjoyment.

We'll see how it all plays out. Fun to speculate, but still lots of time until the game is released. Knowing EVE the PACT is already loaded with spies :p

Oh I'm sure it is lol

Blobs will be hard to manage in SC though given limitations per instance. I'm a miner/crafter at heart so i'll tend to avoid engagements.

Grief.exe

That sounds really fun actually. Like guerrilla warfare.

Get in, disrupt and rob the huge guild's shipping lane, roll out of the system before the massive retaliation jumps in.

I'm in.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It doesn't sound like this game is structured in a way that a group like Goonfleet would be able to do anything anyways. The multiplayer is more like dark souls then a giant persistent universe, it just randomly adds players who are in the same sector together, so you would never get ganked by a giant mob of pirates or anything.

Oh I'm sure it is lol

Blobs will be hard to manage in SC though given limitations per instance. I'm a miner/crafter at heart so i'll tend to avoid engagements.

So glad they're capping players on instances. As much as people want an EVE 2.0 with hundreds of ships involved, any good Freespace 2 player will let you know the best gameplay is one where YOU can make the difference.

Grief.exe

It doesn't sound like this game is structured in a way that a group like Goonfleet would be able to do anything anyways. The multiplayer is more like dark souls then a giant persistent universe, it just randomly adds players who are in the same sector together, so you would never get ganked by a giant mob of pirates or anything.

I said that same thing the other day. I think these guys are over planning, and overbuying.

injurai

Banned

That's a great comparison. Which I think will be more fun than the EVE model. It's just too expansive for me. MMOs just don't interest me, but more intimately tied instances are great.

Mashing

I'm going to have a destination plotted in my nav computer so I can jump out as soon as trouble like that appears.

georgc

If I get the base 300I Could I upgrade it to Match the 325 or the 350? If I do would there me a difference besides spec wise?

If I get the base 300I Could I upgrade it to Match the 325 or the 350? If I do would there me a difference besides spec wise?

You can upgrade the 300i to the 325 ingame. Upgrading to the 350 might not be possible since it supposedly has a different hull, but you will be able to buy it ingame for sure. There will be no difference between ships bought now and those obtained ingame except for the lifetime insurance.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, looks like BWC is gonna have a large presence in this too. Large (and tough) outfit in Planetside 2.

Keasar

Stanton-Arccorp_Bar.jpg
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13127-Stanton-Bar-Concept-Art

Quite nice, I wonder how much (if anything) they will try to make each station and landing area unique from each other? There has to be a copy and paste somewhere to save on development time.

Edit: Just noticed Chris Roberts in there, and a Freelancer picture. :p

This is probably not going to happen but I'm kind of hoping they make the off ship/on planet sections a little meaty. I know that they say you can land on planets and walk around a bit in areas which will act as quest hubs etc. but I'm hoping they flesh it out well and don't limit it to a tiny box of a map. At least make it the size of the citadel from Mass Effect 2 or 3.

Keasar

This is probably not going to happen but I'm kind of hoping they make the off ship/on planet sections a little meaty. I know that they say you can land on planets and walk around a bit in areas which will act as quest hubs etc. but I'm hoping they flesh it out well and don't limit it to a tiny box of a map. At least make it the size of the citadel from Mass Effect 2 or 3.

They are at least fleshing out some areas. They released earlier a issue of "The Observist" that detailed the city of Prime on planet Terra. I wouldn't say it is realistic that they will build any of these places out before launch but if Star Citizen becomes any great success then perhaps sometime in the future? I can at least see a space station getting some level of attention competing with one of their larger ships.

MrBig

Yeah I wouldn't expect planetside content to be a huge focus pre-release. I'm sure well see plenty of expansion on it if people want more of it in the future.

I'm hoping they add a lot of 'archaeology' style content, where rather than just exploring to find Jump Points (which is pretty much all they've mentioned so far), you can actually search for information and objects, lore, abandoned settlements, etc etc.

elyetis

Yeah I wouldn't expect planetside content to be a huge focus pre-release. I'm sure well see plenty of expansion on it if people want more of it in the future.
I dream of an expension "Star citizen meet Outerra"-like.

But it will most likely stay a dream.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I honestly don't care about the planet stuff. Just give me a menu where I can make my trades, pickup missions and the like and get back the real meat of the game.

SpyGuy239

I backed this game early last year, and have no regrets even now. Got my hornet :)

Just wanna say this though, am I the only one who thinks that it's going overboard with the transactions? It seems they keep on selling new stuff (e.g. ships and skins) for money and more money, and even "special" updates ??Jumpgate require a monthly subscription fee.

I understand where Chris Roberts is coming from, and this is a backer project, but why all the transactions? Seems like it's getting overboard like some EA game or something. I backed Planetary Annhilation for example once, and they never asked for anymore after that.

What is GAF's opinion on this? Just curious.

I dream of an expension "Star citizen meet Outerra"-like.

But it will most likely stay a dream.

That was basically Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Sadly, it pretty much died when there was nothing new outside the initial trailer and Star Citizen more or less took all the hype.

Shame, because it was one of my most hyped games...
ibepaP8L6bNAgX.gif

injurai

Banned
I backed this game early last year, and have no regrets even now. Got my hornet :)

Just wanna say this though, am I the only one who thinks that it's going overboard with the transactions? It seems they keep on selling new stuff (e.g. ships and skins) for money and more money, and even "special" updates ??Jumpgate require a monthly subscription fee.

I understand where Chris Roberts is coming from, and this is a backer project, but why all the transactions? Seems like it's getting overboard like some EA game or something. I backed Planetary Annhilation for example once, and they never asked for anymore after that.

I haven't dropped a dime on this yet. I think i may get a basic package soon though. Thing is this requires a lot of money and what they are attempting is pretty grand in the industry. A lot of people want to see them succeed. It's no different than getting a whole bunch of private investors.

I doubt you get free products or content when you invest in anything else. So its more of a treat than anything for the fans. Plus it takes a bit of resources to do these campaigns and updates. So some of the money contributes to raising more funds and gathering investor feed back. This is how crowdsourced games should be handled.

They want to get as much of the 22 million budget for the game without having to go to external sources to fund it, so I guess that's pretty much the reason behind all the transactions.

Zabojnik

You got your game, you got your ship. Nobody is asking you to buy anything more. It's there for you to buy it, if you want it and want to help Star Citizen reach its goal of being a 100% crowdfunded AAA game. Nothing's exclusive, bar the basic ship LTI, which isn't really that big of a deal.

Now, is it ideal? Probably not. Personally, I'd rather pay a monthly fee and have everybody start with the same ship / means. The majority of people don't seem to like that business model though. In the end, I don't care one way or another. I'll enjoy the hell out of Squadron 42, which is why I backed the game in the first place, and then hopefully lose myself in SC's vast universe. So what if I'll be flying the Hornet, while 300+ people fly the Idris. As long as it doesn't preclude me from having fun within the game, I really, really don't care what other people have and how rich / successful they are. A bit like in real life.

fanboi

Banned
That was basically Infinity: The Quest for Earth. Sadly, it pretty much died when there was nothing new outside the initial trailer and Star Citizen more or less took all the hype.

ibepaP8L6bNAgX.gif

Yeah, I hope someone picks up that engine, which is one the main business points he wants to do (iNova engine or soimething)

injurai

Banned
Yeah, I hope someone picks up that engine, which is one the main business points he wants to do (iNova engine or soimething)

it should become middleware, that way cryengine could use it as a plug-in and Star Citizen could get planetary entry transitions.

elyetis

ibepaP8L6bNAgX.gif
Wow impressive. Definitly the kind of thing I was thinking about.

It could open the door to so much possibilities... and the immersion of having 1:1 planets without invisible wall when you get too close...

injurai

Banned

It could open the door to so much possibilities... and the immersion of having 1:1 planets without invisible wall when you get too close...

I know it would be far off, too soon to think about.

But it's these sorts of things that I think would be awesome in a sequel. They would have probably made a fair amount off of the first installment. Maybe even add some FPS raiding like battlefront.

fanboi

Banned

That engine also create worlds and whatnot procedurally, which means their galaxy contains... alot of planets.

injurai

Banned
That engine also create worlds and whatnot procedurally, which means their galaxy contains... alot of planets.

Speaking about planets.

In SC aren't we able to discover entire new regions of space on our own, then sell star maps to people or possible keep it's location secret.

That seems like a very interesting aspect of this world.

Zabojnik

Watch the whole thing, it's amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO7XhaTGDYg

Speaking about planets.

In SC aren't we able to discover entire new regions of space on our own, then sell star maps to people or possible keep it's location secret.

That seems like a very interesting aspect of this world.

Yeah, that'll be in. I assume the best thing will be to sell the map to the new sector / system asap for big bucks, before someone else does it.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, that'll be in. I assume the best thing will be to sell the map to the new sector / system asap for big bucks, before someone else does it.

which makes me wonder if we are getting ships with the intention of deep space exploration and the likes of that. Even though the M50 and 350R are fast, I doubt they have the range for those sorts of things.

Mindlog

Put up a thread in Gaming for the cantina news and last chance for LTI reminder.

There has to be some way for guild mates to play together. I wonder if they'll have dedicated PvP areas that play out a bit like, Allegiance. That was a great game. Even if it went full Dark Souls the problem is with huge groups being able to display names and affiliations.
heh, looks like BWC is gonna have a large presence in this too. Large (and tough) outfit in Planetside 2.
That sounds like a pretty good combat oriented group. It would be fun to fly.... Oh. PACT. Of course.

It's really tricky. Some of the early availability ships are really powerful. It's not just with weapons either as Starfarers could have a big economic impact. We'll have to see how they balance SC, but on the whole I'm OK with most of what they're doing. Letting players mod/host their own servers is the perfect decision to alleviate my concerns. The amount of funding is a huge wagging middle finger to all those publishers that lost faith in the Space Sim market.

Francois424

Neo Member
This game keeps getting better and better, the *only* 2 things that I do not like out of everything so far are G-Force blackouts and Character Permadeath.
Note that the G-Force open an interesting door for future alien species having different tolerances, ummmm...

I also own way to many ships now, but once I get to try them out I'll probably melt those that I will chose not to use (or gift them to friends).
I am simply amazed they made it to 12mil, I never would have given them a chance in hell of reaching 8mil in the first place, and it keeps going, heh.

On a surprising negative note, eversince they changed their website (which is really awesome, and will get better no doubt), I just cannot open it up at work anymore as the adress of it starts with "forums." which is immediately caught and blocked by the filters here. This sucks to no ends, but then again I've got NeoGAF to give me something to read. I just hope this thread turns into what SWTOR had last year, that was great.

Top Bottom