• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

FACE

Banned
So do you think this game will be as bad as it looks?

Would you guys say you really regret supporting this, or just sort of regret it? Would you say Chris Roberts is the worst developer of all time, or just one of the worst?

I hope it is as "bad" as it looks, because it looks fucking incredible!

Opiate

I claim drunk shenanigans.

But with your assertions that we think this looks bad, that we regret backing (which I haven't even done), and that Chris Roberts is a bad dev. I'm going to assume you're invoking a sort of rhetoric to shame us for being excited over pre-alpha marketing campaigns and nebulous promises.

If that is the case I would say I'm taking this for what it is, and hoping the devs the best. Otherwise you should call Gromph and have him drive you home.

I'm apparently just not very good at yanking chains.

If we were to look at my posting history, we'd find I'm a strong proponent of kickstarter, a strong proponent of indie projects generally, and a fan of complex strategy games. Also I am first and foremost a PC gamer.

Lastly, my general posting habits do not follow this model, so either I am inebriated (As you suggest, which is reasonable conjecture) or I'm simply being silly. And that silliness has come to a rather dismal end, without amusing anyone. I figured if anyone would get the joke, it would be a group like this one; picking on (for example) a Vita game felt like kicking a dog when it's down. This game and its general development seems to be pleasing in every regard to everyone involved.

I will only say that I model my investigative style after the late great journalist Stephen Colbert, may he rest in peace.

injurai

Banned

If we were to look at my posting history, we'd find I'm a strong proponent of kickstarter, a strong proponent of indie projects generally, and a fan of complex strategy games. Also I am first and foremost a PC gamer.

Lastly, my general posting habits do not follow this model, so either I am inebriated (As you suggest, which is reasonable conjecture) or I'm simply being silly. And that silliness has come to a rather dismal end, without amusing anyone. I figured if anyone would get the joke, it would be a group like this one; picking on (for example) a Vita game felt like kicking a dog when it's down. This game and its general development seems to be pleasing in every regard to everyone involved.

I will only say that I model my investigative style after the late great journalist Stephen Colbert, may he rest in peace.

I know you have extremely well put posts, and I did notice this was a tad odd coming from you. I didn't know where you we're coming from though, so the silliness fell on deaf ears. I think I may back tonight so I'll tell you how much I regret it tomorrow when we're both sober.

injurai

Banned
He's kidding. Isn't it obvious? :p

edit - didn't see the next page where he laid it out.

I'm probably the only person that thought it was serious... So maybe it was such a dismal end to a joke.

I can see the skepticism with kickstarters, and such a rogue comment threw me. Seems like there is always someone trying to shit on everyone elses fun on gaf. Wouldn't put it past a mod, I just didn't know Opiate well enough.

I think I might just be tired, and watching an hour of Portlandia has affected to detections of sarcasm.

FACE

Banned

I take offenses to Chris Roberts(our lord and saviour) more seriously than I take offenses to my mum so I was blinded by fury and didn't notice you were being silly. My apologies.

Mindlog

You see big developers....we want bloody space games again! Give us a new freespace, give us a new x-wing, give us what we want!
I try to avoid doing .gifs and I'm a little inebriated because of the holiday, but 'FUCK YEAH' accompanied by a high-five would best surmise my general agreement with the premise.

I almost wouldn't by a new X-Wing game out of spite. Almost.
So do you think this game will be as bad as it looks?

Would you guys say you really regret supporting this, or just sort of regret it? Would you say Chris Roberts is the worst developer of all time, or just one of the worst?
It looks terrible.
But a new engine for space combat mods is priceless ;]

I've never pledged out of spite, but SC has me teetering on that edge.
I'm also inebriated so I understood the nature of the post quite clearly.

I have a regular 300i that I got with the bounty hunter package. But I want another ship to compliment my 300i. I want to be self sufficient but also able to chip in and help people when needed. What do you guys suggest I get?

Freelancer is your best bet for a good all-around ship. Above that is the Constellation (but double the price).

You see big developers....we want bloody space games again! Give us a new freespace, give us a new x-wing, give us what we want!

As good as Star Citizen is becoming, I'll still be all over a Freespace 3.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I've never seen you post sarcastically, :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Is anyone else just sticking to one ship voluntarily? Having a nice large hanger filled with shipscan be nice, but I'd rather just have my Aurora, kit it out for stealth, and travel through the Galaxy exploring things in that. Maybe get a larger ship to play with friends later or something. Honestly, it seems like alot of these ships are more style than function. I could get an Avenger or a 300i, but it really doesn't seem my style.

Maybe when we know a little more and how ships like the Aurora will be balanced against the more expensive ships.

Grief.exe

Is anyone else just sticking to one ship voluntarily? Having a nice large hanger filled with shipscan be nice, but I'd rather just have my Aurora, kit it out for stealth, and travel through the Galaxy exploring things in that. Maybe get a larger ship to play with friends later or something. Honestly, it seems like alot of these ships are more style than function. I could get an Avenger or a 300i, but it really doesn't seem my style.

Maybe when we know a little more and how ships like the Aurora will be balanced against the more expensive ships.

I just want one ship because I want to feel that sense of progression in game.

RSI will keep making ships after release though, there will be more and more end game ships to collect as the game grows. Even if you do buy a bunch of ships now, there will probably still be that sense of progression.

Dead Man

I just want one ship because I want to feel that sense of progression in game.

RSI will keep making ships after release though, there will be more and more end game ships to collect as the game grows. Even if you do buy a bunch of ships now, there will probably still be that sense of progression.

Yeah, although I have 3 ships, they are all single seaters, so I can work up to the larger vessels.

Keasar

Its the Constellation for the purpose of instantly playing with friends when wanting too. Otherwise I will start with whatever ship is at the bottom and work my way up from there.

Mindlog

ugh need to decide fast...

Either getting the Digital Mercenary or Bounty Hunter. So Aurora or 300i respectively.
Since it's just a quick decision deal get the Aurora LX package. You can always get rid of it and spend more later.

The 300i is pretty good though.

Mindlog

As long as you back something before midnight tonight, correct.
Technically, even after tonight you could ask an original backer to gift you an LTI ship package, but let's avoid doing that if possible :]

~Kinggi~

Banned
This whole thing is fucking confusing to me. Okay, so i got a kickstarter slot that gets me the game right.

Now im getting emails saying if i back now i get all these limited ships and shit. Can i not even earn these things through just playing the game? Navigating the site is a mini cluster fuck and all the ship prices are like near 100$. Wtf

Release might end up being a massive bummer for a lot of people if they are pay-walling everything.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This whole thing is fucking confusing to me. Okay, so i got a kickstarter slot that gets me the game right.

Now im getting emails saying if i back now i get all these limited ships and shit. Can i not even earn these things through just playing the game? Navigating the site is a mini cluster fuck and all the ship prices are like near 100$. Wtf

Release might end up being a massive bummer for a lot of people if they are pay-walling everything.

You can get everything ingame. There's no paywall.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You can get everything ingame. There's no paywall.

Well i guess thats a relief. I got a 30$ slot on KS and it says i get beta access and the main two games, and i also get an RSI Aurora ship. But they have a package on their site now for 45$ saying you get basically the same things? Mines cheaper cause it was early?

Well i guess thats a relief. I got a 30$ slot on KS and it says i get beta access and the main two games, and i also get an RSI Aurora ship. But they have a package on their site now for 45$ saying you get basically the same things? Mines cheaper cause it was early?

The $45 package you mention has the Aurora LX which is an upgraded version of the Aurora you will get. However the package that you got backed then now costs $40 so yea you get a better price because you backed early.

Grief.exe

That's pretty common on Kickstarters.

Give early adopters a little extra incentive.

So i guess i could earn the LX through regular play with the in-game economy like the Smiley said?

Yes.

Everything can be earned in game.

They have a functioning economy. That would be completely broken if you could just buy your own ship once the game was released.

KKRT00

Thanks for ze answers. This game seems a bit too ambitious, ill be impressed if they pull it off.

Its ambitious, but not too ambitious, people are just to used to console AAA games that push everything into art, cutscenes and setpieces instead of hiring additional 6-10 designers and gameplay programmers.

injurai

Banned
Its ambitious, but not too ambitious, people are just to used to console AAA games that push everything into art, cutscenes and setpieces instead of hiring additional 6-10 designers and gameplay programmers.

Yeah, really in my mind. A space sim gets around a lot of the initial expenditures that other genres deal with. I doubt they are going for Mass Effect like spaceports. So they primarily invest art into ships, and sort of "hubs/cantinas/hangars." Everything else goes into creating the infrastructure and games systems that affect how play in open-space works.

I think they are really fortunate to both be working on the sort of game that they are, as well with the funding that people are putting towards it.

garath

Everything can be earned in game.

They have a functioning economy. That would be completely broken if you could just buy your own ship once the game was released.

I could be mistaken but I believe you can buy ships with real money after release too.

Repgnar

For the past week or so i've been going back and forward on buying another ship. Currently have the 350r but i've been eyeballing the M50 and Starfarer of the limited timed ships. I know the M50 will most likely share a similar role to the 350r but i'm still interested in it just so I can have both. The Starfarer is just massive and I think I would enjoy piloting something slow and big like that. Only thing i'm worried about with the Starfarer is whether or not I could really accomplish anything in that while solo. I imagine i'd have an easy time around the bigger systems/planets but the reward wouldn't be as great as going further out by myself.

How did the advertise these ships when they were previously limited time? Is there a chance these ships will come back if they make a brochure/video for the 'full reveal'? Some of the limited ships do not have concept arts yet available.

Zabojnik

How did the advertise these ships when they were previously limited time? Is there a chance these ships will come back if they make a brochure/video for the 'full reveal'? Some of the limited ships do not have concept arts yet available.

That's pretty much exactly what they're planning, imo. It's the only thing that makes sense. Some of those ships might come back after November 23rd though, with no LTI.

injurai

Banned
That's pretty much exactly what they're planning, imo. It's the only thing that makes sense. Some of those ships might come back after November 23rd though, with no LTI.

They are all available in game. Just they are removing some from the pool that offers LTI.

Yeah, really in my mind. A space sim gets around a lot of the initial expenditures that other genres deal with. I doubt they are going for Mass Effect like spaceports. So they primarily invest art into ships, and sort of "hubs/cantinas/hangars." Everything else goes into creating the infrastructure and games systems that affect how play in open-space works.

I think they are really fortunate to both be working on the sort of game that they are, as well with the funding that people are putting towards it.

I just hope people don't get too disappointed when it's not EVE Online 2.0

Dead Man

Phew, I made it out of the LTI period without hitting $200. Still need to be strong and not get a Constellation, but I think the price will keep me out of that one.

I just hope people don't get too disappointed when it's not EVE Online 2.0

I am counting on it not being EVE.

Edit: Dat cliff

iMghFLE.png

Gruso

Fuck! I left it until today to get on board. I did my research, saw that there were $35/$45 packages offering alpha/beta access, and left it for a couple of hours to cool off. I come back to find the door shut on those, and $65 is the cheapest entry. Bollocks :(

Gruso

Oh, so I can! Thanks for that. The store page is a tad convoluted. Bummer about missing LTI, but still a nice price.

Oh, so I can! Thanks for that. The store page is a tad convoluted. Bummer about missing LTI, but still a nice price.

You can still get LTI on a package if someone who backed the project before the deadline buys one and gifts it to you. Since the price is the same, maybe you could try asking a friend or someone who has pledged earlier and you could reimburse them.

Mindlog

This package is still available to original backers.

$35 Digital Scout - LTI.
  • Aurora
  • 1,000 Game Credits
  • Lifetime Insurance
  • Alpha Access
  • Beta Access
  • Squadron 42 Digital Download
  • Star Citizen Digital Download

I'm willing to gift exchange a few packages at face value.

Daedardus

I only found out about this game yesterday when I had no time to pledge. It seems like some ships disappeared too.

But I have some small questions. Does this game require an as serious commitment as EVE? I have a busy daily life and I can't play this game 10 hours a day just to get a bigger ship. If I logout, can my ship still be hijacked or does logging out really mean you're logged out?

And as for the pledge, what's the best I can pledge? I'm the type that just likes to explore stuff, mostly avoiding combat and just taking rare things to home. So I was thinking of pledging for the 315p. Or should I just stick with a 300i?

KKRT00

I only found out about this game yesterday when I had no time to pledge. It seems like some ships disappeared too.

But I have some small questions. Does this game require an as serious commitment as EVE? I have a busy daily life and I can't play this game 10 hours a day just to get a bigger ship. If I logout, can my ship still be hijacked or does logging out really mean you're logged out?

No, You dont even have to play MMO component. You can play campaign solo or in coop or just modable version of the game.

Daedardus

No, You dont even have to play MMO component. You can play campaign solo or in coop or just modable version of the game.

Yeah but isn't the campaign mission based combat? I just want the freedom to do whatever I want, and I really like the MMO features, I just hope it balances with normal life.

Top Bottom