• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Daedardus

How do skins actually work in the game? Do you need the electro hull upgrade to use the others skins? Or can just use the skin without having to buy that package?

Francois424

Neo Member
It is my understanding that you can change skins while in the Hangar.

The Electro-thingie only permits flipping a switch and it changes right-away (ie: even while flying).
If you are familiar with Gundam Seed, it's like Kira flipping switches and his gundam takes on another color-scheme.

At least, that's how I understood it.

Rommel

I see the GoonFleet is gearing up

tdVSIsn.png

Grief.exe

They have almost two hundred 300 series ships alone, they have almost 100 Constellations.

If the maximum instance size stays around 100, then they can't even field anywhere near their full strength.

That picture makes the sheer scale and ambition of this game all the more awesome though.

Daedardus

They have almost two hundred 300 series ships alone, they have almost 100 Constellations.

If the maximum instance size stays around 100, then they can't even field anywhere near their full strength.

That picture makes the sheer scale and ambition of this game all the more awesome though.

Yeah the 100 limit gives me doubts how one would be able to catch a Bengal. Compared to those ships that thing is MASSIVE.

Mindlog

This is the theory. When combat starts you can invited friends into your instance until the instance fills up. As people die just keep inviting friends in. This goes to my earlier questions about how they plan on accounting for that stuff.

Because there are other even bigger fleets.
And if the PACT ends up running joint ops I'm not sure anything can oppose that.

Still, can't wait for the Hornet brochure.

Grief.exe

This is the theory. When combat starts you can invited friends into your instance until the instance fills up. As people die just keep inviting friends in. This goes to my earlier questions about how they plan on accounting for that stuff.

Because there are other even bigger fleets.
And if the PACT ends up running joint ops I'm not sure anything can oppose that.

Still, can't wait for the Hornet brochure.

I was thinking there might be some kind of exploit they could take advantage of.

If RSI allows that to go forward, then you could get some really lopsided battles.

For example an even battle where each side has 50 units, so 50-50. One side has a massive force waiting to be pulled in.

So for every single unit killed, the large force brings a unit as a replacement, even for those killed on the enemy side.

So if the battle is even, and each side has killed off 10 units bringing the total to 40-40, the larger team can then bring in 20 units to make it 40-60. Would make battles eventually become a steamroll as more time goes by.

Francois424

Neo Member
Yeah the 100 limit gives me doubts how one would be able to catch a Bengal. Compared to those ships that thing is MASSIVE.

That's when you field Quality over Quantity.

Say a few retaliators and Starfarers modified for torpedo runs, is IMMENSELY more useful to the operation than filling the instance with 300i !

Daedardus

That's when you field Quality over Quantity.

Say a few retaliators and Starfarers modified for torpedo runs, is IMMENSELY more useful to the operation than filling the instance with 300i !

Yeah could be a good idea. And didn't they say they were going to reveal lots of ships in between the Idris and the Bengal?

Mindlog

Well I started having my own fun and the game is still years out.
Amazing how predictable certain parties are :]

Also, melted my ships/packages except for M50 to make it easier to trade.

Francois424

Neo Member
Well I started having my own fun and the game is still years out.
Amazing how predictable certain parties are :]

Also, melted my ships/packages except for M50 to make it easier to trade.

You know... I wish they'd sell authenticators already for our accounts.
if anyone guesses your password (or hacks you to get it, w/e) then you're done for. Anyone can gift your ships away or melt them, or whatnot.

This is making me nervous a bit.

Rommel

Nice! That's the second Idris I've heard announced today. Where are they coming from? You're going to have to let us poke around your hangar :p

I emailed concierge letting know how disappointed i was that i missed the sale. They put me on a wait list for them and I was emailed last night a group had become available. Melted down 2/3rds of my fleet for it but I'm happy =)

I'll put my hanger on twitch when it comes out so people can see if they want.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I emailed concierge letting know how disappointed i was that i missed the sale. They put me on a wait list for them and I was emailed last night a group had become available. Melted down 2/3rds of my fleet for it but I'm happy =)

I'll put my hanger on twitch when it comes out so people can see if they want.

Nice!

I have my 350r and Starfarer. 350r was mentioned as a stealth scout in one of the dev jumps apparently. Not sure if the Starfarer would be useful or the Idris carries its own fuel though. (I suppose it could help support heavier fighters or refine fuel along the way for long trips)

This page says the Aurora is ok: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13097-Idris-Corvette-Revealed

injurai

Banned
I'm curious of how cross galaxy travel works in the SC world.

Do they have hypergates like Cowboy Bebop or Mass Effect. Or is it FTL Jump like BSG, or hyperspace/hyperdrive like SW/ST?

Mindlog

I'm curious of how cross galaxy travel works in the SC world.

Do they have hypergates like Cowboy Bebop or Mass Effect. Or is it FTL Jump like BSG, or hyperspace/hyperdrive like SW/ST?
It's closer to gates. Within a system is regular engines. Jumping between systems is done at points.

One of the streams said an Idris could carry an M50, but only one at a time.
You know... I wish they'd sell authenticators already for our accounts.
if anyone guesses your password (or hacks you to get it, w/e) then you're done for. Anyone can gift your ships away or melt them, or whatnot.

This is making me nervous a bit.
Good point. At least some two step authentication.

Corsick

This is probably pretty widely known but I'm still confused, can you have an AI crew with your ship or is it only real players that can man the ship along with the captain? Can there be a mix of the two? Do we have any idea how difficult getting the bigger ships in game will be if you just have a plain copy of the game and no kickstarter/pre order perk?

injurai

Banned
It's closer to gates. Within a system is regular engines. Jumping between systems is done at points.

One of the streams said an Idris could carry an M50, but only one at a time.

Good point. At least some two step authentication.

I like gates. Thats a good route.

and is the m50 really that much bigger than a 300? Because the Idris can carry two 300 series I believe. That it was two m50s as well.

Mindlog

This is probably pretty widely known but I'm still confused, can you have an AI crew with your ship or is it only real players that can man the ship along with the captain? Can there be a mix of the two? Do we have any idea how difficult getting the bigger ships in game will be if you just have a plain copy of the game and no kickstarter/pre order perk?
It was reported that buying a Constellation would probably require about 60 hours of normal gameplay. I can't imagine how long it would take to earn an Idris.

You can hire AI to fill out your crew. You can even hire AI to fly the ships you own, but are not using. I'm guessing it works something like sending out your Assassin's in Assassin's Creed. A mix of AI and crew is also possible.
and is the m50 really that much bigger than a 300? Because the Idris can carry two 300 series I believe. That it was two m50s as well.
Again this was just from the video so I'm sure Rommel has up to date currently official info, but while the M50 isn't too big, its engines are supposedly very bulky.

Corsick

It was reported that buying a Constellation would probably require about 60 hours of normal gameplay. I can't imagine how long it would take to earn an Idris.

You can hire AI to fill out your crew. You can even hire AI to fly the ships you own, but are not using. I'm guessing it works something like sending out your Assassin's in Assassin's Creed. A mix of AI and crew is also possible.

Again this was just from the video so I'm sure Rommel has up to date currently official info, but while the M50 isn't too big, its engines are supposedly very bulky.

Is the Idris confirmed to be the largest ship there will be, or just that has been revealed? Also, you can walk around freely in first person and third person view as well while it's flying? I can picture myself looking through portholes in the ship staring at planets/galaxies etc, sounds incredible. The Cryengine 3 should be great for the game's aesthetic.

injurai

Banned
Is the Idris confirmed to be the largest ship there will be, or just that has been revealed? Also, you can walk around freely in first person and third person view as well while it's flying? I can picture myself looking through portholes in the ship staring at planets/galaxies etc, sounds incredible. The Cryengine 3 should be great for the game's aesthetic.

It was during it's stretch goal in the kickstarter. It has since been replaced when the Bengal was funded to be turned into an ownable ship. But I think there may still be some more larger than the Idris. Not entirely certain, but I think there will at least be some more Corvette class ships.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stretch_Goals

Something called the cruiser is referenced as the largest playable ship before the Bengal was added.

Also they hint at Destroyer class ships in one of the recent stretch goals, although that is TBA. So there could be a ship larger or on equal footing with the Bengal.

Mindlog

Largest player ship. There will be larger NPC ships and some of them can be taken over. The rate at which those enter player hands will be very tightly controlled.

Injurai posted newer info than I remembered :) I'm not too certain how they've sorted those details.

Yes, the game is first person at all times. They're also hoping to let players walk on hulls.

Corsick

Largest player ship. There will be larger NPC ships and some of them can be taken over. The rate at which those enter player hands will be very tightly controlled.

Yes, the game is first person at all times. They're also hoping to let players walk on hulls.

Thanks for all the responses, my last question would be how much can the interiors of ships be customized? Are there captain's quarters that can be personalized where you have certain features that are accessed or centralized there? I guess something like in Mass Effect 2 but more substantial. This game seems incredible.

injurai

Banned
Thanks for all the responses, my last question would be how much can the interiors of ships be customized? Are there captain's quarters that can be personalized where you have certain features that are accessed or centralized there? I guess something like in Mass Effect 2 but more substantial. This game seems incredible.

luxury items and stuff is mentioned, i'm sure its a lot easier to model a whole bunch of static decorations than rigging up a ship. I know stuff like that is part of the economy and a gold sink for the player. More stuff to get insurance for i'm sure.

Dead Man

Need to find a couple of Hornet pilots who want a home now that I have an Idris :)
Awesome! I've already joined a company, but I'll be happy to fly your wing when I'm free.
I was thinking there might be some kind of exploit they could take advantage of.

If RSI allows that to go forward, then you could get some really lopsided battles.

For example an even battle where each side has 50 units, so 50-50. One side has a massive force waiting to be pulled in.

So for every single unit killed, the large force brings a unit as a replacement, even for those killed on the enemy side.

So if the battle is even, and each side has killed off 10 units bringing the total to 40-40, the larger team can then bring in 20 units to make it 40-60. Would make battles eventually become a steamroll as more time goes by.
Yeah, they do seem pretty aware of most of the exploits so far, so hopefully they address that one.

I think the Goon's are overestimating the impact they'll have in the game.

Regardless, that Goon picture just makes me happy I melted my 325a for an Avenger. I know in time people will eventually acquire enough funds to get their own, but it seems initially there's gonna be a shit ton of 300 series flying around.

It'll be nice to be flying a ship that isn't so common everywhere, at least initially :p

Also I like the Avenger's chutzpah.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
At some point I'll be looking for a guild/alliance/clan/whateveritsgonnabecalled for my Freelancer&325A... at some point. :p

This e-peen, I mean space arms race means more money is being spent. Good for the game I guess. Goons already trolling in RSI boards heh. Can't wait to see proxy wars being started despite 1-2 years from launch and zero gameplay.

Grief.exe

This e-peen, I mean space arms race means more money is being spent. Good for the game I guess. Goons already trolling in RSI boards heh. Can't wait to see proxy wars being started despite 1-2 years from launch and zero gameplay.

I seriously hope their expectations and alliance are squashed.

Star Citizen isn't meant to be a full scale MMO, and frankly I don't think there are many machines that could take the performance hit since its real-time. Plus it would be very difficult for servers to keep up since they have to keep track of every single movement in the instance.

I'm very impressed if they could do it with 100 ships of that fidelity.

Daedardus

I seriously hope their expectations and alliance are squashed.

Star Citizen isn't meant to be a full scale MMO, and frankly I don't think there are many machines that could take the performance hit since its real-time. Plus it would be very difficult for servers to keep up since they have to keep track of every single movement in the instance.

I'm very impressed if they could do it with 100 ships of that fidelity.

However, they could easily set up a privately funded server and mod the game so the limit is expanded. I hope so, that would keep them away from the PU. :p

Top Bottom