• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

MrBig

If you log out you're fully logged out if you can be cleaned up after easily. Your ship will return to the last planet you visited, dock, and disappear until you log back on, but you can't just log off at any time with no repercussions.

And as for the pledge, what's the best I can pledge? I'm the type that just likes to explore stuff, mostly avoiding combat and just taking rare things to home. So I was thinking of pledging for the 315p. Or should I just stick with a 300i?

The 315p sounds like a good option for you. If you can stretch your budget consider getting a Freelancer which will be specialized for exploration. A 300i will be fine too. I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade the base ship with 315p mods pretty quickly in game.

If you log out you're fully logged out if you can be cleaned up after easily. Your ship will return to the last planet you visited, dock, and disappear until you log back on, but you can't just log off at any time with no repercussions.

The 14 million stretch goal (which is certain to be hit) is hibernation where you will be able to log out anywhere in the universe and continue from the same place when you log back in the next time. There will be some restrictions (like not being able to log out during combat) but otherwise it will save state perfectly.

Daedardus

What are some restrictions for logging out? Obviously when you're in combat or have people near you or when you are in the middle of a gathering transaction. But exploring some empty space on my own shouldn't be a problem, right?

The 315p sounds like a good option for you. If you can stretch your budget consider getting a Freelancer which will be specialized for exploration. A 300i will be fine too. I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade the base ship with 315p mods pretty quickly in game.

I think I'll just stick with the 315p. 100 euro is a bit too much for my tastes.

The 14 million stretch goal (which is certain to be hit) is hibernation where you will be able to log out anywhere in the universe and continue from the same place when you log back in the next time. There will be some restrictions (like not being able to log out during combat) but otherwise it will save state perfectly.

Sounds great. Consider this game pledged :)

MrBig

What are some restrictions for logging out? Obviously when you're in combat or have people near you or when you are in the middle of a gathering transaction. But exploring some empty space on my own shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yes, if you're in distant space hibernation mode will be available to you, as noted.

Perkel

Banned
~$5000 to go until we reach $14.000.000

What the actual fuck ? Just a month or 1,5 month ago it was 10mln and at that point i thought it is crazy. Now 14 mln is beyond mental.

Last year in summer after Wasteland 2 and DF i posted here on gaf that probably at the end of 2013 we will see game reaching 10 mln $ and beyond that date we will see crowdfunded games reaching even more money.

What the fuck i am prophet or something ? First Wii U now this.

EDIT:

Fuck that it is already 14,001,449 from 200 000 backers.

$14 million reached.

This is becoming insane at this point.
They are grinding one million every few days.

It's slowed down considerably by 90% now.

(edit) $16 million stretched goal:

$16 million

• Arena mode: an area for players to test one another’s skills without risking valuable items or hard-earned ships and experience. Place bets on competitions across the galaxy.
  • A laser pistol for every pledger before this point. Keep your ship safe from boarders with a pistol by your side

TheMan

this game almost sounds too good to be true. Regardless, i'd contribute if i actually had a pc capable of playing recent games.

gamma

this game almost sounds too good to be true. Regardless, i'd contribute if i actually had a pc capable of playing recent games.

It does doesn't it?

But the game won't come out until the end of 2014 so you can still pledge now and upgrade your PC next year. You can get the cheapest Digital Scout package since you won't need Alpha and Beta access if you upgrade next year.

65 dollars, aka the Digital Bounty Hunter, is the cheapest option for alpha access right? Are they going to end anytime soon? Would rather buy when the alpha actually launches.

65 dollars, aka the Digital Bounty Hunter, is the cheapest option for alpha access right? Are they going to end anytime soon? Would rather buy when the alpha actually launches.

The cheapest package to get alpha/beta access is the Digital Mercenary for $40. As of right now there are 55,000 slots left for the alpha and I don't see them running out any time soon. That said I'd keep an eye on the counter (on the official page) during the next big promotion or two to see how things are going.

CTLance

Sssssay, guys, I just took stock of my pledges and noticed that I'm well into loony territory now. When did that happen.

I upgraded my boring Bounty Hunter to the Lightspeed pledge for that delicious 350r. I will not let that ship go, no matter what. Beyond awkwardly humping that precious gold plated blingship my priority will remain mostly solo exploration and mercantile stuff.

Still, if I melt down my Pirate Pack and my Freelancer I can basically convert them into a Constellation!

So... two "smaller" ships that are geared towards their respective tasks, or a big honking motherfondler of a ship that will be a bit of a hassle to use alone, will be the target of any pirate worth their salt, but will be rather agreeable with what I want to do anyway.

It's not like I can un-spend the money, so that isn't the problem (or so I tell myself). I'm just wondering:

A) when did I spend all that money
B) I must be nuts
C) No really, completely insane
D) I could just buy these in game with in game money

E) Constellation > Cutlass + Freelancer ?

I'm sure someone has crunched the numbers already. What do you say, GAF?

lexi

Banned
I pledged months ago and have been on a total blackout since then. Migrated my account to the new system, did a bit more reading and I am actually giddy with excitement all over again and wanting to pledge more.

Rommel

Sssssay, guys, I just took stock of my pledges and noticed that I'm well into loony territory now. When did that happen.

I upgraded my boring Bounty Hunter to the Lightspeed pledge for that delicious 350r. I will not let that ship go, no matter what. Beyond awkwardly humping that precious gold plated blingship my priority will remain mostly solo exploration and mercantile stuff.

Still, if I melt down my Pirate Pack and my Freelancer I can basically convert them into a Constellation!

So... two "smaller" ships that are geared towards their respective tasks, or a big honking motherfondler of a ship that will be a bit of a hassle to use alone, will be the target of any pirate worth their salt, but will be rather agreeable with what I want to do anyway.

It's not like I can un-spend the money, so that isn't the problem (or so I tell myself). I'm just wondering:

B) I must be nuts

My vote is for the Constellation

B) I must be nuts

If you don't have friends in line to crew the 'Stella, I think the seperate ships would be worth it. Dedicated solo gunship with some cargo space, or a dedicated hauler/explorer (and can throw in one NPC gunner as needed.) That said, we don't know how efficient a Constellation will be without a full crew, or how much it'll cost to crew her with NPCs.

Plus, you've got plenty of time! You've already spent the money, so why change now? You'll get plenty of warning before/if you'll lose the ability to swap them around, so I'd stay with the more varied ship group for now. You've got through November at least.

Mindlog

They fill different roles, BUT it would likely be easier to use a Constellation to buy a Cutlass/Freelancer in-game than the other way around. Theoretically anyways. Just wait since there is no rush. You'll want a Freelancer again when they introduce the gunboat variant.

CTLance

Hrm. It is true that I should just wait things out. It's annoying that the site revamp completely destroyed my bookmarks with ship data and pics. The longer I wait this out, the more likely it is that Roberts takes another go at my wallet by releasing some more footage or info.

I will not survive a marketing video for the other ships in the vein of the 300 series one. I've been humming that damn melody all week.

injurai

Banned
This package is still available to original backers.

$35 Digital Scout - LTI.
  • Aurora
  • 1,000 Game Credits
  • Lifetime Insurance
  • Alpha Access
  • Beta Access
  • Squadron 42 Digital Download
  • Star Citizen Digital Download

I'm willing to gift exchange a few packages at face value.

If I do this, do you have a 300 that you could exchange?

Mindlog

If I do this, do you have a 300 that you could exchange?
Sure. Digital Bounty Hunter - LTI $60

fv3mZwD.png

Dead Man

I pledged months ago and have been on a total blackout since then. Migrated my account to the new system, did a bit more reading and I am actually giddy with excitement all over again and wanting to pledge more.

Get out while you still can! I spent way more than I planned (which was zero, to be fair). I now have 3 ships. I don't know why or how that happened.

Zaptruder

Banned
I just hope people don't get too disappointed when it's not EVE Online 2.0

I'm expecting:
EVE Online in economy and trading

Wing Commander/Freelancer/Freespace in ship to ship combat

and an autistic attention to the level of detail in the ships and overall sense of immersion.

So... holy crap balls!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm expecting:
EVE Online in economy and trading

Wing Commander/Freelancer/Freespace in ship to ship combat

and an autistic attention to the level of detail in the ships and overall sense of immersion.

So... holy crap balls!

And B-level FPS mechanics? =P (I really have little hope for the FPS combat part of the game. I guess I could be pleasantly surprised, though.)

MrBig

And B-level FPS mechanics? =P (I really have little hope for the FPS combat part of the game. I guess I could be pleasantly surprised, though.)

With Behaviour developing that side of the game, I'm keeping my expectations in check. Perhaps Chris can whip them into shape but it could turn out extremely horrible (not to say it couldn't be re-addressed by CIG at some later point if that is the case)

Grief.exe

The FPS part of the game could be something to worry about. I think they probably bit off more than they could chew when they committed to that.

Definitely gives the game some more depth, but I'm not sure if it needs anymore. You could go another direction with some of the mechanics and completely drop the FPS gameplay.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, no one working on this game really has any FPS experience, unless you count the one or two guys they got from Crytek. That's why it's the feature I have the lowest expectations for. I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if it wasn't added until after launch, too.

Gruso

Thanks to the advice in this thread and the help of a veteran backer (a friend outside GAF), I've managed to swap my non-LTI Mercenary package for the Digital Scout LTI. I just sent my Merc to him as a gift, he cashed it out and bought me the new package. The $5 change got me the electro hull skin to boot. Stoked!
Now I have to buy one of these
My 2014 upgrade list grows. I'm on the verge of buying rudder pedals for Arma, so I suppose it only makes sense.... eep.

Harlock

I bought the ADVANCED STARTER PACKAGE - LTI because the lifetime assurance etc. This pack will give me access to the full game when release or I will need buy the game anyway?

Gruso

Can't answer that off the top of my head, but just go into your hangar and click the arrow on the package. Alpha & beta access will be listed as separate bullet points if they're included.

d0g_bear

I wouldn't overestimate how much influence Behaviour Interactive is going to have.

BI is making the shipboarding FPS and at least some of the planetside environments - note that at least at launch, planetside levels are non-combat. They're bars and stores and repair shops and so on.

So the only FPS that BI is working on is shipboard - and the ships are already designed by CIG, the NPCs are designed by CIG, and Cryengine 3 is built for FPS. The crysis games had pretty good gunpay - all the pieces for good ship boarding FPS are there, BI just puts them together.

KKRT00

I've just got my Star Citizen Founder Card :) What is funny that it came from China and below my Polish address there is "Israel" glued in :) Now I can imagine why it took so long to get to me xD

CTLance

I've just got my Star Citizen Founder Card :) What is funny that it came from China and below my Polish address there is "Israel" glued in :) Now I can imagine why it took so long to get to me xD
Yeah, I got mine a few days ago too, and it also traveled around quite a bit. I would have preferred a padded envelope, but since I got a metal card it survived the trip without a problem.

It's a damn nice card, weighty and with a neat counterfeit-proof-looking pattern. Just wish it was more than a paperweight. A custom QR code on the back, or a flash or RFID chip would have been neat. As it is it will just sit with my GW2 figurine in a shelf and collect dust and occasional glances.

2MF

I am tempted to back this but I'm quite confused by the perks. Please tell me they're not making it back-to-win or back-to-play-what-you-actually-desire?

I am tempted to back this but I'm quite confused by the perks. Please tell me they're not making it back-to-win or back-to-play-what-you-actually-desire?

Backing early got you lifetime insurance on your ship's hull. Hull insurance will not be too expensive in game (the main insurance expense will be upgrades, and no one gets that for free.)

Any ship that's been available for pledges will be available in game. Essentially all will be available for ingame currency (though some may require more effort to obtain, like the Vanduul fighter or Idris corvette.) This does allow you to get certain ships early, however. Chris Roberts it would take an estimated 60 hours of trading missions to purchase a Constellation, which some people can start the game with.

If you don't pledge, you'll start the game with an Aurora and a loan on it to pay off, which is basically a tutorial period. If you play through the single player Squadron 42 game, you'll earn Citizenship (always has to be earned in game, no one gets by pledging) and some credits to go towards your first ship.

People who've pledged along the way also get some other bonuses (anyone backing before they hit 16 mil gets a pistol, early backers get a flight suit and repair bot, etc.) but nothing major or game breaking.

2MF

Backing early got you lifetime insurance on your ship's hull. Hull insurance will not be too expensive in game (the main insurance expense will be upgrades, and no one gets that for free.)

Any ship that's been available for pledges will be available in game. Essentially all will be available for ingame currency (though some may require more effort to obtain, like the Vanduul fighter or Idris corvette.) This does allow you to get certain ships early, however. Chris Roberts it would take an estimated 60 hours of trading missions to purchase a Constellation, which some people can start the game with.

If you don't pledge, you'll start the game with an Aurora and a loan on it to pay off, which is basically a tutorial period. If you play through the single player Squadron 42 game, you'll earn Citizenship (always has to be earned in game, no one gets by pledging) and some credits to go towards your first ship.

People who've pledged along the way also get some other bonuses (anyone backing before they hit 16 mil gets a pistol, early backers get a flight suit and repair bot, etc.) but nothing major or game breaking.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll read a bit more about those things.

It just struck me as insane that there's a $275 pledge level that comes with a certain ship. Must be quite some effort to unlock it in-game. edit - Although to be fair I see this pledge includes a bunch of other perks as well such as a book.

Zabojnik

Thanks for the explanation. I'll read a bit more about those things.

It just struck me as insane that there's a $275 pledge level that comes with a certain ship. Must be quite some effort to unlock it in-game.

You really don't want to know for how much (and how fucking fast) the limited number of Idris Corvettes were sold for, then. :D

injurai

Banned

actually, I really want to start the game with a blank slate like this. To go into the universe as a untrained pilot in the UEE marines do my service. Then get out and have to start from the bottom and work up to everything.

Is there a package that gets me all the goodies not including a ship... I guess the aurora package is ok, I could just ignore it. See I'm so split on what package to get.

garath

actually, I really want to start the game with a blank slate like this. To go into the universe as a untrained pilot in the UEE marines do my service. Then get out and have to start from the bottom and work up to everything.

Is there a package that gets me all the goodies not including a ship... I guess the aurora package is ok, I could just ignore it. See I'm so split on what package to get.

From what I read, the Aurora is like the bottom of the barrel newbie ship. I doubt you get it for NOTHING but it's probably super cheap and the obvious starter ship if you just buy the game in the store and start playing MP. Originally I got that simply to get the game for $45. Then I later upgraded to a 300i lol. I'm weak.

Off the top of my head, any package that includes alpha/beta access will come with a ship. I'd just aim for the Aurora and ignore it (or sell it day one--maybe your untrained pilot had a relative die and you got a ship's worth of credits as an inheritance.)

Top Bottom