• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

gamma

actually, I really want to start the game with a blank slate like this. To go into the universe as a untrained pilot in the UEE marines do my service. Then get out and have to start from the bottom and work up to everything.

Is there a package that gets me all the goodies not including a ship... I guess the aurora package is ok, I could just ignore it. See I'm so split on what package to get.

Just get the cheapest package with a starter ship. I have the 300i and while all the ships and promotions are tempting I'll just stick with it and work my way up. I think some people are going a bit overboard with spending hundrends and thousands on what is essentially the concept of a game.

Daedardus

At what rate do they reveal ships? I'm a bit curious towards the Origin 890. Have they ever hinted at its size? I find the bigger ships they already revealed a bit ugly to my tastes. I hope there's something beautiful I can work towards in the game.

injurai

Banned
Just get the cheapest package with a starter ship. I have the 300i and while all the ships and promotions are tempting I'll just stick with it and work my way up. I think some people are going a bit overboard with spending hundrends and thousands on what is essentially the concept of a game.

Yeah... I think I will. Unless I strike an exchange with Mindlog.

Hey, some people do have a lot of money. I welcome the to fund this for the sake of all of us. Just looking over all of the stretch goals they have issued it's amazing how much more is going to be in this game. They originally were going to try to pull this off with 2mil. But now 14 and growing... Over 100 systems to explore on launch. Wow.

injurai

Banned
At what rate do they reveal ships? I'm a bit curious towards the Origin 890. Have they ever hinted at its size? I find the bigger ships they already revealed a bit ugly to my tastes. I hope there's something beautiful I can work towards in the game.

I love origin's designs. I also want to start seeing some alien ships.

Mindlog

Yeah, I'm donating a couple hundred even though what I'm really hoping for is a great mod community. I want a Complex Mod that among other things turns the start-up sequence into something resembling DCS.

injurai

Banned
Yeah, I'm donating a couple hundred even though what I'm really hoping for is a great mod community. I want a Complex Mod that among other things turns the start-up sequence into something resembling DCS.

Didn't they say they hope to give the community the tools to design ships then they would add the best ones into the game

garath

Truthfully I'm just hoping for a great singleplayer/co-op experience in the vein of Freelancer/Privateer/Elite. Open world, missions, bounties, trading, pirates, etc. Upgrade-able ships, new purchasable ships, etc. I don't really care for the MMO aspect but it'll be nice for the community if it has it.

injurai

Banned
Truthfully I'm just hoping for a great singleplayer/co-op experience in the vein of Freelancer/Privateer/Elite. Open world, missions, bounties, trading, pirates, etc. Upgrade-able ships, new purchasable ships, etc. I don't really care for the MMO aspect but it'll be nice for the community if it has it.

isn't the "mmo" just a persistent co-op experience anyways?

Zabojnik

They originally were going to try to pull this off with 2mil. But now 14 and growing... Over 100 systems to explore on launch. Wow.

Just for the record, they were never going to make SC with 2M$, even if it was only the single player campaign. The 2M goal was just to let the investors know that there was interest in a space sim. The investors were to provide an additional 10-12M$, if I remember correctly. Things then obviously escalated. :)

Didn't they say they hope to give the community the tools to design ships then they would add the best ones into the game

They did. The community will have to come up with some pretty impressive stuff though, given the high standard for the ships. Not that I doubt that it will. During the livestream, while chatting with Richard Garriott, Chris kinda suggested that they may engage the community in some form or another in the months leading up to the alfa (or maybe after that). Maybe they'll crowdsource some of the game assets / items, like Wasteland 2 and Shroud Of The Avatar did? Or maybe it's something completely different.

injurai

Banned
Just for the record, they were never going to make SC with 2M$, even if it was only the single player campaign. The 2M goal was just to let the investors know that there was interest in a space sim. The investors were to provide an additional 10-12M$, if I remember correctly. Things then obviously escalated. :)

They did. The community will have to come up with some pretty impressive stuff though, given the high standard for the ships. Not that I doubt that it will. During the livestream, while chatting with Richard Garriott, Chris kinda suggested that they may engage the community in some form or another in the months leading up to the alfa (or maybe after that). Maybe they'll crowdsource some of the game assets / items, like Wasteland 2 and Shroud Of The Avatar did? Or maybe it's something completely different.

Yeah, I know about the investor stuff. But with this project turning out to be entirely their own (and the communities) this should become quite the self-sustaining game venture.

And that's awesome to hear about the asset sourcing. Yeah, they mentioned it takes upward of $500,000 for a single ship, give or take. So I'm sure the community would be hard pressed to make anything worth while on a larger scale.

Of course there are always those people seeking for things to put on their resume. Up and coming 3D artists and modelers may find great interest in this.

injurai

Banned
That's where I'm a little fuzzy. I "think" they were talking about company servers with the persistent Star Citizen world. But I'm not sure on that point.

pretty sure. It's filled with a whole bunch of instanced servers representing just a smattering of people that are in the same area. I think it will be similar to instanced areas in WoW, or the meta co-op in Dark Souls.

Daedardus

pretty sure. It's filled with a whole bunch of instanced servers representing just a smattering of people that are in the same area. I think it will be similar to instanced areas in WoW, or the meta co-op in Dark Souls.

That's correct. The worlds will be instanced, but you can jump to another instance at will and play co-op/PvP as you like.

I think the 300 series' design is the best they did. Absolutely adore the BMW inspiration. Hope there is much room to upgrade to suit my explorer needs though.

Grief.exe

Is the combat in Free Space 2 similar to what has been described for Star Citizen?

Need some games where i can get primed for Star Citizen gameplay.

Its available on GOG, it actually wasn't for sale during their Summer Sale.

Daedardus

Is the combat in Free Space 2 similar to what has been described for Star Citizen?

Its available on GOG, it actually wasn't for sale during their Summer Sale.

Not sure if there is a game similar to Star Citizen. The problem is all good space sims are more than ten years old and while they are still good games on their own, they are seriously gimped in terms of graphics and physics.

But if you want, you better check out Freespace 2 Source Code Project. It's free and features lots of updates and mods, so it's a good idea to check that out. Here's the site: http://scp.indiegames.us/

Mashing

The Freelancer has alien tech, but all we've seen so far is the exterior.

Alric, I'm an early backer and haven't received anything in the mail yet. I was expecting a card at least.

injurai

Banned
The Freelancer has alien tech, but all we've seen so far is the exterior.

Alric, I'm an early backer and haven't received anything in the mail yet. I was expecting a card at least.

Oh thats right. I remember reading how the company licensed alien tech for the Freelancer. Seeing the insides of the ships is my favorite part, so hopefully we see it soon.

I've never heard of this ship, where do they talk about this?

injurai

Banned
I've never heard of this ship, where do they talk about this?

From the original RSI ship design documents (old site archive)

At the tail end of the 300 series brochure.

pyros

Hi guys, I have $80 dollars credit in my account, if possible, any original or veteran willing to gift me a pathfinder lti package? I will gift you the $80, the extra $5 you can keep as a gift for your troubles, thank you

edit; thanks Mindlog

Gruso

Not what you're after, but I started a Star Control 2 playthrough last night. Such a great universe to get immersed in.

MrBig

It looks quite annoying how some ships have joy sticks, and others have wheels. How am I supposed know what to get?

CIG will give their official recomendations later. They've also talked about having special peripherals made for SC/space sims.

Not sure if there is a game similar to Star Citizen. The problem is all good space sims are more than ten years old and while they are still good games on their own, they are seriously gimped in terms of graphics and physics.

But if you want, you better check out Freespace 2 Source Code Project. It's free and features lots of updates and mods, so it's a good idea to check that out. Here's the site: http://scp.indiegames.us/

Speaking of which, get Diaspora while you're at it. Short but oh so sweet.

pyros

I've been reading through the RSI forums, trying to get a better understanding of the game mechanics, one thing keeps creeping up, the PvE vs PvP debate, not being well versed in mmo style games, I'm wondering, if you are role playing as a pirate, wouldn't you try to capture a targeted vessel whole? or at least, give them a chance to surrender rather then destroy them as some in that forums are purporting to do.

What does griefing or ganking mean?

Daedardus

I've been reading through the RSI forums, trying to get a better understanding of the game mechanics, one thing keeps creeping up, the PvE vs PvP debate, not being well versed in mmo style games, I'm wondering, if you are role playing as a pirate, wouldn't you try to capture a targeted vessel whole? or at least, give them a chance to surrender rather then destroy them as some in that forums are purporting to do.

You can try to board the ship and make it your own, but then you'll have the temporarily leave your ship and engage in third person shooter combat. Destroying a ship leaves the cargo floating in open space, which you can then try to gather with tractor beams/similar stuff.

Griefing is destroying just for the sake of destroying. It's kinda like trolling. You can either just pick on smaller ships or just betray your 'friends' for the 'fun' of it.

injurai

Banned

Griefing is causing grief by doing something counter-productive or destructive in nature.

Ganking, is basically ambushing in pvp context.

pyros

You can try to board the ship and make it your own, but then you'll have the temporarily leave your ship and engage in third person shooter combat. Destroying a ship leaves the cargo floating in open space, which you can then try to gather with tractor beams/similar stuff.

Griefing is destroying just for the sake of destroying. It's kinda like trolling. You can either just pick on smaller ships or just betray your 'friends' for the 'fun' of it.

Thanks for the info, looks like I need more speed and armour in my future upgrades.
I rather eject my cargo and run, then engage people who just want to see you burn

Daedardus

Keep in mind more armour means greater weight which comes at a cost of speed. If you want to avoid combat it's best the have a steady power plant, a speedy main truster and countermeasure that reduce your radar visibility. The large ships are slow anyway and should easily be evaded once you encounter one.

injurai

Banned
Keep in mind more armour means greater weight which comes at a cost of speed. If you want to avoid combat it's best the have a steady power plant, a speedy main truster and countermeasure that reduce your radar visibility. The large ships are slow anyway and should easily be evaded once you encounter one.

What I don't understand is this concept of "speed"

their is not gravitational or atmospheric resistance. So it would ultimately come down to acceleration and handling.

Unless someone knows more about rocketry in zero gravity environments, it seems like your max velocity is governed by speed you can pick up over the duration that you burn all your fuel.

injurai

Banned
something still has mass.

If you add mass, then you can't accelerate as quickly.

that was my point, but there should be no ship from my understanding that is specked to be the fastest.

I would assume Newton's Laws at the very least apply to this game.

Grief.exe

that was my point, but there should be no ship from my understanding that is specked to be the fastest.

Well if you remove weapons hardpoints, add thrusters instead. Remove extra armor to cut mass.

Then, theoretically, you should be able to go faster.

Daedardus

Accellerating is needed to get speed though. More mass means an higher inertia. If you can't accelerate enough with the fuel given, you won't easily reach very high speeds. So when you remove mass and add a fuel efficient power plant and thrusters, you can reach higher speeds than you would with an other ship.

Also keep in mind that if you would control a very heavy ship and push its speed very hard, you won't be able to manoeuvre well. Stopping for example requires you to thrust against the movement, as newtown's laws would dictate that you keep moving.

Grief.exe

I wonder if they are going to add in other newtonian mechanics.

For example using a body to slingshot around and gain incredible speed.

Daedardus

I was about to say. Next kickstarter goal should include slingshoting off of moons and asteroids.

It won't work with asteroids and moons. Gravity assist is based on the preservation of momentum. A high mass, slow object will be able to speed up a low mass object considerably without losing too much speed itself. When your ship is like 1/1000th the weight of a asteroid, it will slow down the asteroid too much to be of practical use.

injurai

Banned
It won't work with asteroids and moons. Gravity assist is based on the preservation of momentum. A high mass, slow object will be able to speed up a low mass object considerably without losing too much speed itself. When your ship is like 1/1000th the weight of a asteroid, it will slow down the asteroid too much to be of practical use.

Well I doubt they could make any planets or moons big enough for the game.

Maybe they could have some dark matter asteroid pockets or something that we can sling shot off of.

They mentioned arena dog-fighting, maybe are particular nebula with special properties could be the setting for that.

Francois424

Neo Member
Anyone get their t-shirt and card in the mail yet? Soon as I get home I'll post a pic of mine.

I got mine, T-Shirt is great.
However my name was spelled "François" and on my card it reads "Fran?ois"
Not going to kill them for such a spelling error, actually quite used to english folks messing my name up, lol.

Really nice metal card in my particular case, and green shirt with yellow hornet on it.
:)

Grief.exe

I got mine, T-Shirt is great.
However my name was spelled "François" and on my card it reads "Fran?ois"
Not going to kill them for such a spelling error, actually quite used to english folks messing my name up, lol.

Really nice metal card in my particular case, and green shirt with yellow hornet on it.
:)

Post a pic of the shirt.

Francois424

Neo Member
Top Bottom