• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Mindlog

Yeah I think we need to update our OP. I'd be happy to do it if someone could help me out. That's a great spreadsheet, thanks! :)
There are a couple of mods interested in the game and they've been keeping the thread titles up to date. Anything substantial and useful will makes its way up there.
Say, you guys think we'll be able to instead of just buying ships, find ships? Like, you're charting an asteroid field in an Aurora when you come across a small, derelict alien capital ship, would you potentially be able to bring it back to working condition and get it in your hanger? I mean, that's the sort of progression I'd really want. Instead of just buying things, we'd earn or discover interesting and unique things through exploration.
I'd put the chance of that at, 100%. They've repeatedly stated they want to reward exploration. The odds of finding a ship would probably be rare, but discovering components worth the value of a ship could be more common. That's just guesswork thought and the only thing for certain is that exploration will be rewarded in some way.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//13143-Package-Changes

Greetings Citizens,

As Star Citizen’s development continues, we’re finding that Chris Roberts’ time is especially important. Chris is intimately involved in every aspect of the game, from writing code himself to working on the design and the art direction. As a result, we’re planning to make several changes to the pledge packages and wanted to let you know in advance, just in case you are interested in picking up one of the changing packages.

After July 31, 2013, packages which offer things like Q&A with Chris will be changed to feature new rewards. If you already have one of these packages, nothing will change for you. You will still get your time with Chris. If you pledge after July 31, 2013 you will get the alternate reward. If you’d like to upgrade your old package to one of the new options, you can do that for free without changing your backer status.

Smart move, but I bet some people glossed over the part I bolded and are freaking out right now!

Grand Admiral ($2,500): the one hour conference call is now a complete set of the five limited-variant pledge ships: an Aurora LX, ORIGIN 350r and one yet-to-be-announced version each of the Freelancer, Hornet and Constellation.

There's some news. I would price the variants at a small-ish hop so people think "ah, it's only another 50, I'm already in for 250" etc.

Wow, 4x price increase? They're really trying to take advantage of that exclusivity.

It'll still sell out fast. Damn.

Whew, I hope this means people will buy direct instead of some scalpers flipping them and making $4k. Edit: hmm, I think the price increase was maybe a bad move - will see lots of flips for mid-range $2500 or so and it's win-win for both parties, while Star Citizen doesn't necessarily see any of that cash...

Mylene

also the Space Marshal package is only available to original backers for purchase. another thing i just found out which was confirmed from the off topic thread in SC forums:

Latest news: Support is now putting all gifting done through them (Idris, Vice Admiral+, etc.) on hold as they are waiting for an official response from their legal counsel regarding potential legal issues or re-selling. I guess too many whiny threads brought this non-issue to CIG's attention and now (knowing lawyers) there's a possibility that limited ships (Idris, Scythe) or anything above some price level will become ungiftable.

I'm sure for some people it would be good news but for most it's not.

said it was a reply from Customer Service. I'm gona be shocked if we won't be able to gift ships anymore.

Dead Man

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//13143-Package-Changes

Smart move, but I bet some people glossed over the part I bolded and are freaking out right now!

There's some news. I would price the variants at a small-ish hop so people think "ah, it's only another 50, I'm already in for 250" etc.

Whew, I hope this means people will buy direct instead of some scalpers flipping them and making $4k. Edit: hmm, I think the price increase was maybe a bad move - will see lots of flips for mid-range $2500 or so and it's win-win for both parties, while Star Citizen doesn't necessarily see any of that cash...
Meh, they got the initial payment, if they are giftable they knew this would happen from the start.

Daedardus

There are a couple of mods interested in the game and they've been keeping the thread titles up to date. Anything substantial and useful will makes its way up there.

The op hasn't been updated for half a year though. I think it would be helpful for new users to know how the pledges systems work along with some other thing. Essentialy adding a useful FAQ.

MrBig

The op hasn't been updated for half a year though. I think it would be helpful for new users to know how the pledges systems work along with some other thing. Essentialy adding a useful FAQ.

I've got a OT written up for the hangar module/alpha release with a fairly large faq section. That should be around mid-late august.

Mindlog

Miscommunication on my part. I didn't mean to imply that the mods themselves would create a new OP. I meant that if one of us creates something that clearly belongs in the OP it will be taken care of :]

A running list of all the released brochures is a good place to start along with a bunch of other stuff.
I've got a OT written up for the hangar module/alpha release with a fairly large faq section. That should be around mid-late august.
Looking forward to it.
Still planning to avoid the game until I have a consumer rift. Don't know if I'll be able to hold out. I'm going to need a motion simulator as well.
tqpI5ye.jpg
yikiaas,bspsc. source.

Daedardus

Miscommunication on my part. I didn't mean to imply that the mods themselves would create a new OP. I meant that if one of us creates something that clearly belongs in the OP it will be taken care of :]

A running list of all the released brochures is a good place to start along with a bunch of other stuff.

Ah yes. Or we just PM once we came up with something. That's their job.

Still planning to avoid the game until I have a consumer rift. Don't know if I'll be able to hold out. I'm going to need a motion simulator as well.

By the time this game comes out and the Rift support works, you can be sure the consumer version is already out. The only thing you'll need to do is to solder a giant control panel. Don't know how that would work with rift though.

MrBig

I have other games like The Gallery and Antichamber stashed away for the rift, missing out on SC development for it isn't worth it! SC will probably be the biggest rift game, and an amazing experience in itself, but it will need a lot of testers that care about the game for it to be great. The consumer rift probably won't be out until around the time of persistent universe module release a year or so from now

By the time this game comes out and the Rift support works, you can be sure the consumer version is already out. The only thing you'll need to do is to solder a giant control panel. Don't know how that would work with rift though.

I plan on making my own set of desks over the next year or so, with a layout like the normal computer desk I have now but then with another slab of wood I'll use to create a corner desk-like set-up so that I can just turn and use my Rift with a dedicated HOTAS, sixsense, KB/M, whatever. With a dedicated space I can arrange it into whatever is most fitting to what I'm doing, and hopefully I can find or construct some nice legs to make it height adjustable.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
If you find an unoccupied ship or board/take over an occupied ship you can claim it as had been stated before, but it'd be very unlikely for anyone to just leave a ship laying around and extremely rare to find one in a repairable condition. Remember that this is going to be a living, realistically simulated universe, there won't be gamey loot drop systems.

It's nothing like a gamey "loot drop" system, it's a ship, abandoned in space. Maybe the crew had some sort of terrible alien disease that killed them off, or their power core burnt out, or there's some sort of terrible beast haunting the interiors. Exploring a derelict ship with nothing but your blaster and a hope and a prayer that nothing evil lurks inside would be the most bitch'n thing.

MrBig

It's nothing like a gamey "loot drop" system, it's a ship, abandoned in space. Maybe the crew had some sort of terrible alien disease that killed them off, or their power core burnt out, or there's some sort of terrible beast haunting the interiors. Exploring a derelict ship with nothing but your blaster and a hope and a prayer that nothing evil lurks inside would be the most bitch'n thing.

What I meant is that it won't just be a random chance that a derelict ship would appear in some area, that it would be extremely rare and not as common as a loot drop system. Something like the disease yes, or like the recent carnival cruise ship that lost power at sea, transporting NPCs that were actually going somewhere, or perhaps a player that logged out in a rush in deep space.

CTLance

Those have been available for a little while, but worth watching one of them.
Yeah, for some reason they posted them back at the 300 series ad reveal as one single video, but then removed it from their youtube account.

Oh well. Nice to watch anyway. Is it wrong of me to lust after both 315p and 325a when I already have my 350r?

Mylene

since im not getting any good results on RSI forums,

any gaffers have a vanduul scythe and willing to sell/trade for one?

Daedardus

Is it wrong of me to lust after both 315p and 325a when I already have my 350r?

Just stick with what you've got. I suspect there will be bigger, cooler ships available in the game. And if you really want, earning a fleet of 300i's shouldn't be that hard in-game.

I'm pretty satisfied with my 315p. One big ass engine and an efficient power plant makes it great for touring and doing other stuff. Twin engines of the 350r look cool, but I'm not sure if you get any gameplay boost from that.

CTLance

I still want a 315p and 325a and a Starfarer and a 'stella and an Avenger and maybe even a Shuttle M50... Oh god somebody hide my wallet.

Yes, I know you can get all the ships in game. I dun care. Need hangar full of shinies. Neeeed.

Speaking of the Scythe, I wonder if that wing blade will have an actual use in the game.
Isn't it used as ram? I think the Scythe comes with some sort of close quarters disposition. Not sure, really, but I think they mentioned that in the recent 24-hour thing.

Daedardus

Speaking of the Scythe, I wonder if that wing blade will have an actual use in the game.

Isn't it used as ram? I think the Scythe comes with some sort of close quarters disposition. Not sure, really, but I think they mentioned that in the recent 24-hour thing.

Yes. The wing holds a deployable blade and you can use it as some sort of knife for cutting open or ramming other ships. That is, if you don't care for your precious ship.

I still want a 315p and 325a and a Starfarer and a 'stella and an Avenger and maybe even a Shuttle M50... Oh god somebody hide my wallet.

Yes, I know you can get all the ships in game. I dun care. Need hangar full of shinies. Neeeed.

Contain yourselves! Save all that money for when the Origin 890 Jump gets revealed!

Daedardus

WHY YOU DO DIS

WHY

I CANNOT RESIST

MUST HAVE

Don't forget that hidden in the Grand Admiral package change (starting July 31st) there is this:
Grand Admiral ($2,500): the one hour conference call is now a complete set of the five limited-variant pledge ships: an Aurora LX, ORIGIN 350r and one yet-to-be-announced version each of the Freelancer, Hornet and Constellation.

CTLance

Don't forget that hidden in the Grand Admiral package change (starting July 31st) there is this:
I'm not sure whether to attempt long range telepathic murder or suicide. Either way, one of us gots to go. You're dangerous to my sanity and bank account.

Seriously though, I hope they give the 'lancer a dedicated exploration option. Hopefully without bubble window head, the merchants can have that. I want my mean looking heavily armoured scanning ship with barely any openings on the hull.

I wanna be able to bathe in the emissions of a star or sit smack in the middle of an anomaly and watch my surroundings on my sensor-boosted augmented reality/surround screen rig somewhere deep down in the core of the ship. Looking out of windows with squishy eyes that can't even see infrared is for chumps.

Seriously though, I hope they give the 'lancer a dedicated exploration option. Hopefully without bubble window head, the merchants can have that. I want my mean looking heavily armoured scanning ship with barely any openings on the hull.

The lancer already is an exploration vessel. I'm guessing the variants will be something along the lines of

1) has more firepower at the cost of range/cargo capacity/speed
2) longer range (possibly stealth capabilities) but more vulnerable in combat
3) fast, short range bounty hunter variant with modified cargo compartment (e.g. jail cells)
4) pure trading vessel with increased cargo

Daedardus

I'm not sure whether to attempt long range telepathic murder or suicide. Either way, one of us gots to go. You're dangerous to my sanity and bank account.

It's not actually my fault but Chris Roberts'. Please don't kill him though, I still want him to finish the game.

I really don't like the design of the Freelancer. It's a stereotypical spaceship with boring hull design all over. I'm too much of a snob, I only fly Origin ships.

CTLance

The only way of me hurting Roberts would be if I accidentally hit him in the face with a wad of cold hard cash when he shows off another Origin ship.

Wait, someone does not like the Freelancer? .... OK, admittedly it's a vaguely penis shaped Star Citizen brand no-I-am-not-a-plane-no-seriously-spaceship. But then again, look at the manufacturer. MISC. This thing is not built to be pretty. It is built for an express purpose and with modularity in mind, nothing else.

I'll admit, again, that that does not explain the rather "Firefly" inspired look. Then again, maybe a good amount of sensors needs to be away from the Thrusters and engine, hence the elongated shape. And why not put the pilot near the sensors... Uh...

....ok, I got nothing. At least it's not really offensive, just kinda boring. I can live with that, I think. If you look at it from the right angle it even has an "angry face", kinda cool.
The lancer already is an exploration vessel. I'm guessing the variants will be something along the lines of

1) has more firepower at the cost of range/cargo capacity/speed
2) longer range (possibly stealth capabilities) but more vulnerable in combat
3) fast, short range bounty hunter variant with modified cargo compartment (e.g. jail cells)
4) pure trading vessel with increased cargo
I'd replace number three with a "mini Starfarer" (small tanker with refuelling option) since the shiptype is mercantile/exploration and thus probably not all that great at fighting in general. That's what the Cutlass is there for, at around the same price.

Anyway, I don't care all that much about the mercantile part. Since the Freelancer is so far the only* dedicated ship that fills that particular niche (alien tech in cockpit, the Xi'an overlords be praised!) I wanna go all the way and have a primarily exploration focused Freelancer. I don't care how squishy it ends up being or how tiny the cargo bay will become, to be honest. Make it fly far, make it sturdy, give it sensors.

*The 315p doesn't count, it's just a 300i with a custom loadout and paint job. Which is hella cool too, just not a dedicated exploration ship.

Daedardus

*The 315p doesn't count, it's just a 300i with a custom loadout and paint job. Which is hella cool too, just not a dedicated exploration ship.

It does count though. It has a better power plant and comes with a TR4 long-range engine. It features additional scanning equipment and a tractor beam. It's not truly dedicated in the way that's it is built up from the ground for exploring, but neither is the Freelancer.

And I also prefer the 315p because it is a bad-ass fighter jet which would be cool to fly in the atmosphere of a planet.

CTLance

It does count though. It has a better power plant and comes with a TR4 long-range engine. It features additional scanning equipment and a tractor beam. It's not truly dedicated in the way that's it is built up from the ground for exploring, but neither is the Freelancer.
Caveat: speculation follows, we need more info on the 'lancer.

As far as I understand it you can turn any 3xxy model into another in the game (with the exception of the 350r because of the dual engine thing). Which means the 315p is just a specially equipped 300i with a fancy coat of paint, just like we will probably see different versions of the Cutlass one day, with and without Docking Collar and tractor beam.

Meanwhile with the Freelancer I'd argue that it has alien tech in it if the fluff is to believed, and that apparently makes it a great exploration ship... So in a way the Freelancer is a ship built to explore things even before it gets the diversification treatment that he 300i enjoyed recently. It was the first hull to carry the exploration tag, so I think we can assume that something about the Freelancer inherently favours exploration even in the basic configuration.

Sheer speculation, though. We'll see. And we will buy another round of upgrades and delicious shiny ships. I just know it.
And I also prefer the 315p because it is a bad-ass fighter jet which would be cool to fly in the atmosphere of a planet.
...you have that blasted 300i series trailer on endless loop too, huh. Dammit. What is speed? I need to know.

And again, why do I crave the possession of the holy trifecta of 325a, 315p and 350r so much? Wannnnnnt.
Shame that we won't be allowed to do atmospheric flight at release, or probably ever. Otherwise I'd wring every last km/h out of my 350r while playing the trailer in the background. Just because.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Oh crap, I just realized that this implies that the to-be-announced versions are superior.

Keasar

ZHCvbaZ.jpg

My card finally arrived - it sure is perdy.
Eithers its the lightning or yours is a lot shinier than mine. Is it a Freelancer too? Hard to read. Yours have also different layout on the right side text.
Got my card in the mail today too, got sadly some slightly scratched lettering but its still pretty nice looking.
Don't know if I should contact them about it or just let it be.

ghostmind

Thta trailer made me go nuts on the game indeed. I really hope atmospheric flight comes one day, even if it means we have to wait a year longer.

Damn, that is a really nice card. Is that the size of a credit card?

Yep, same size as a credit card. A little thinner (but not thin enough to have any bend to it), but a lot heavier.

CTLance

Mine took the scenic tour around the world. There were so many postage labels on it that it didn't really need any padding. Which I would have liked nonetheless, metal card or not. Anyway, from what I could discern the last stop had been in Poland, which is kind of unusual when you ship things from China to Germany. But whatever.

Still, the thing is nice. Surprisingly heavy, and I love that fake "counterfeit-proof patterned print".

Mylene

wow was finally able to pick one up right before the new policy rules that took place today, paid only the original kickstarter price, sometimes the community really blows me away.

regarding the blade, it was mentioned in one of the sides stories, i believe "tales of kid crimson," that the blade split an enemy fighter in half. I would think flying head on at an incoming enemy and then rotating the ship blade right at the belly of your enemy would be quite an amazing tactic to pull off.

another thing about this ship most people don't know is the pilot actually lays down facing forward when piloting. The cockpit is reverse hinged and drops down from the bottom, you walk towards it and lean forward, then the floor lifts you up into the ship.

KAB6TIZ.jpg

x5ZdAdl.jpg

EjaWVTZ.jpg

Top Bottom