• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

CTLance

Those massive fleets... deary me, slag and corpses everywhere. There will be so much death.

As an aside, how come all of you are already joining guilds and such? I still think it's too early for me to join a guild. We aren't even at the dogfight alpha yet, fer chrissake.

I will join a guild when I've figured out what I can (more like: cannot) do in the game, so maybe a few weeks after launch.

I don't even know whether I'll be able to fly these things in any non-explodey manner. I mean, most of my deaths in e.g. Strike Suit Zero are from fighting against the Joystick. My plane/ship/whatever never goes where I want it to. Must... train... harder...

Daedardus

I think I'll just stay independent. Minimise my radar presence, and keeping the engines prepared to fly away. Gotta love exploring empty space.

As an aside, how come all of you are already joining guilds and such? I still think it's too early for me to join a guild. We aren't even at the dogfight alpha yet, fer chrissake.

My thoughts exactly. Some folks are taking this a little too seriously. Just read the replies in that thread.

Some pics of the Freelancer (got it on another forum, not sure of the exact source)

OSVsgdb.jpg

4T659Dr.jpg

Y9EGRI2.jpg

IHVSfbU.jpg

BhMQfVf.jpg

Very glad I have one of these =)

Ephemeris

I thought the Freelancer had a maximum crew of two? Why are there four berths and two extra seats? Can you transport passengers?

was just reading the transcript and got to this part:

34:55 Q: Max crew size, is it possible to fit more people inside the ship as passengers?
A: Crew size is purely for people who can operate the ship, it's possible to have more players inside the ship than the crew size as passengers. We're not sure how many more but we're designing the retaliator now and we're going to have some berths for passengers in there.

Those massive fleets... deary me, slag and corpses everywhere. There will be so much death.

I will join a guild when I've figured out what I can (more like: cannot) do in the game, so maybe a few weeks after launch.

I don't even know whether I'll be able to fly these things in any non-explodey manner. I mean, most of my deaths in e.g. Strike Suit Zero are from fighting against the Joystick. My plane/ship/whatever never goes where I want it to. Must... train... harder...

Well I'm in
Goonfleet
because I'm already part of the community. And contrary to what's being posted on RSI, there's no actual structure anyways. They're just trolling to fight off boredom waiting for the alpha.

As for one of the random guilds on RSI? Sleek presentation, bit of RP, and a chance to be part of something great.

Mindlog

Well I'm in
Goonfleet
because I'm already part of the community. And contrary to what's being posted on RSI, there's no actual structure anyways.
Good group. Terrible fleet initials. Worse than using something Latin. Also the SA thread is basically 140 pages of pubbie quality™ goon memes and 20 pages of actual entertainment. The bomber group should have a good time. Take all of your Idris running screen and fill every bomber full of Goons. Easy Bengal capture.

I'm undecided on what I'll be doing. Piracy could be fun, but some of the mechanics concern me. Any kind of PvP would be good. If Free Allegiance gets ported I'm definitely all-in on that.

I'm really starting to wonder about some of the bounty/insurance/job stuff. A lot of it is open to obvious abuse, but they're light on details for solving those problems.

Daedardus

I'm really starting to wonder about some of the bounty/insurance/job stuff. A lot of it is open to obvious abuse, but they're light on details for solving those problems.

They already said that insurance fraud can't happen. When your ship gets captured and you claim insurance, no-one can try to claim it again with the same ship. Each ship comes with a unique hull code. They also shed some light about the bounty stuff, but I don't know where to search for it though.

Mindlog

Nice fleet even if a bit short on, Retaliators.

We'll see how the fraud checks work out.

It was either here or the Steam thread. Did anyone end up playing Darkstar One? Worth the time?

*Oh, crap. New to me anyways.
Freelancer and the making of. It's so pretty.

Francois424

Neo Member
I was wondering that as well. It would be cool if you could just walk around a ship, watching the combat as a passenger. There must be a limit I would imagine.

I remember reading that it was something Chris Roberts was aiming for. The prime exemple being his Bengal carrier. He was saying that you could have a friend slowly flying his hornet near the conn tower of the carrier and if you happen to look out the window, you'd see him in real time.

Now if that is already done, you'll be able to watch fights happening from a passenger/passing ship Point of View.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Nice fleet even if a bit short on, Retaliators.

We'll see how the fraud checks work out.

It was either here or the Steam thread. Did anyone end up playing Darkstar One? Worth the time?

*Oh, crap. New to me anyways.
Freelancer and the making of. It's so pretty.

My thoughts exactly. Some folks are taking this a little too seriously. Just read the replies in that thread.

Some pics of the Freelancer (got it on another forum, not sure of the exact source)

Very glad I have one of these =)

So happy I upgraded to this. Freelancer will be my main transport/travel/explore/relax ship, with a 325A for joyrides and dogfights. Rest I'll take it as it comes. :p

Dead Man

I joined already since the company I was interested in had a recruiting limit. Much easier to unjoin than join after it was full.

Corsick

So I made a post saying I had one more question......it was wrong :p. I'm curious as to how integral exploration will be in this game. I like PvP and all that, but something as interesting and expansive as space is most appealing as a place to explore imo. When it comes to star systems and such, how much will there be to explore and is it feasible to travel long distances while walking around your ship (assuming I had a large enough one to be worth walking around regularly) and just gaze out the side at all the scenery without having to wait hours until you got to your destination? I'm thinking something like Skyrim where using a horse to get everywhere would obviously take longer, but was not horribly aggravating if you just wanted to admire the landscape. Will fast travel be apart of the game at all? If so, how common or perhaps necesarry have they stated it will be?

MrBig

So I made a post saying I had one more question......it was wrong :p. I'm curious as to how integral exploration will be in this game. I like PvP and all that, but something as interesting and expansive as space is most appealing as a place to explore imo. When it comes to star systems and such, how much will there be to explore and is it feasible to travel long distances while walking around your ship (assuming I had a large enough one to be worth walking around regularly) and just gaze out the side at all the scenery without having to wait hours until you got to your destination? I'm thinking something like Skyrim where using a horse to get everywhere would obviously take longer, but was not horribly aggravating if you just wanted to admire the landscape. Will fast travel be apart of the game at all? If so, how common or perhaps necesarry have they stated it will be?

There will over 100 charted/uncharted systems in the initial full release, each unique and filled with all sorts of stuff to discover, and will be expanded upon over time by constant updates to the game. Each system is connected by jump points (which will have to be manually navigated for uncharted systems, after which you can sell your navigation data to the UEE or keep it to yourself if you wish) in which your ship goes into auto pilot mode and navigates to the charted system you want to go to, during which time you can walk about your ship if you wish. You can be interrupted at this time though if you cross the path of another ship.

Corsick

There will over 100 charted/uncharted systems in the initial full release, each unique and filled with all sorts of stuff to discover, and will be expanded upon over time by constant updates to the game. Each system is connected by jump points (which will have to be manually navigated for uncharted systems, after which you can sell your navigation data to the UEE or keep it to yourself if you wish) in which your ship goes into auto pilot mode and navigates to the charted system you want to go to, during which time you can walk about your ship if you wish. You can be interrupted at this time though if you cross the path of another ship.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Daedardus

A jump point is kinda like a warp lane. You'll need the entrance to the jump point. Charted jumppoints can be more easily navigated to, as you can put on your normal auto-pilot to their coordinates. Uncharted jumppoints can be detected by a distortion in particles. Equiping your ship with a better jump drive will allow you to more easily detect a jumppoint or reduce your chances to be seen jumping.

As travelling in the jumppoint is essentialy hyperspace, I'm not sure if you can be intercepted mid-travel. You can however be caught into a trap at the end of the lane if someone detects you coming in on his radar.

Better jumpdrives also should allow you to use intersystem mini-jump, although they have not fully decided on that yet. There is also a normal auto-pilot available if you just wish to fly calmly. Access to in-game computer databases when travelling, like markets and whatnot is also an option they are exploring.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Seeing all the pics of the various ships makes me a little jealous that I just have the Aurora LX, but then again I'm sure I'll be snagging stuff like the Freelancer, 300, and Constellation via actually playing the game anyway, which is always more fun.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wow, I suggested that someone could make a fleet graphic generator in JavaScript and this person threw one together in like 5 hours:

Star Citizen Faction Ship Drawer
https://github.com/Raylehnhoff/SCFSD

Still needs a bit of work but it's a good start. (click the "download ZIP" button on the right in github, then it's the default.html file in there)

Grief.exe

Seeing all the pics of the various ships makes me a little jealous that I just have the Aurora LX, but then again I'm sure I'll be snagging stuff like the Freelancer, 300, and Constellation via actually playing the game anyway, which is always more fun.

More sense of progression that way and more fun in my opinion.

More sense of progression that way and more fun in my opinion.

I agree! I only have an Aurora LX, and I've been tempted to reclaim it into a 315p, or just buy it outright, but ehhh.. I really love the design of the Aurora, it encapsulates the look of a "starter ship" so perfectly. Venerable dependable transport. I haven't joined any massive fleets or anything, I just plan to play with some friends, work my way up, buy new ships, RP it a bit. God I can't wait for this game.

Mylene

was wondering if anyone here on gaf purchased one of the limited vanduul scythes? been hard pressed trying to find one for sale on rsi forums

Raticus79

Daedardus

Chris Roberts said they were targetting for a minimum of 8 GB RAM on Episode 29 of Wingman Hanger.

We still have time left to upgrade our machines, though.

MrBig

Chris Roberts said they were targetting for a minimum of 8 GB RAM on Episode 29 of Wingman Hanger.

We still have time left to upgrade our machines, though.

Good. Most PC games still having a min of 2-4gb is a joke that's holding a lot of designs back.

Francois424

Neo Member
was wondering if anyone here on gaf purchased one of the limited vanduul scythes? been hard pressed trying to find one for sale on rsi forums

I'm really not sure you want to waste money on one of these. It sounded cool and fun at the begining, when they were sold... But then Chris Roberts said during the first 3 hours of the last LiveStream that you WILL NOT be able to upgrade that ship. *Unless* you do it with Vanduul components; which by defenition are going to be almost impossible to obtain. So althought you might have LTI on it, it really wont matter unless the base hull is super powerful, which I doubt.

Anyways, my 2 cents about that one.

Daedardus

Good. Most PC games still having a min of 2-4gb is a joke that's holding a lot of designs back.

It squashes hope they I temporarily will be able to play this on my (fairly new and powerful) laptop though. Guess I'll need that gaming rig once the alpha hits.

I'm really not sure you want to waste money on one of these. It sounded cool and fun at the begining, when they were sold... But then Chris Roberts said during the first 3 hours of the livestream that you WILL NOT be able to upgrade that ship. *Unless* you do it with Vanduul components; which by defenition are going to be almost impossible to obtain. So althought you might have LTI on it, it really wont matter unless the base hull is super powerful, which I doubt.

Anyways, my 2 cents about that one.

Wouldn't flying with a Vanduul ship eventually align you with them? I guess you'll get easier access to vanduul components in exchange for the hatred of the other races.

Mylene

i believed they said that the vanduul will always be hostile so probably the only way of getting components would be shooting down other scythes and perhaps they would have random levels of upgrades with the better ones being more rare? I just don't know how the salvage mechanics of the dog fighting will work, or would we have to actually capture a scythe in order to obtain the components and upgrades?

btw, does gaf have a star citizen guild set up? would like to see how our numbers compare to others such as r/eddfaction

Mindlog

Right now most GAF members are in other guilds and whatnot. A very small group may end up flying together. Game is still more than a year or two away.

I've been poking around for ships just to check up on the market. Sort of regret not storing a Retaliator or Starfarer in my hangar. Only sort of regret :]

I noticed one of the ship charts got a makeover. This chart is really nice with lots of great info. We should probably get some of the more helpful link together in a post or edit the OP.

Daedardus

Hmm. Did some research and it looks like from a lore point of view, a couple of hundred Scythe fighters were confiscated by the UEE and then sold to some private companies. So I guess it may be possible to find some obscure company or pirate who has salvaged Vanduul parts.

Can't find if the Vanduul are always hostile though. I thought they only said they always started out hostile for everyone, but I'm not sure if I'm right on that.

I noticed one of the ship charts got a makeover. This chart is really nice with lots of great info. We should probably get some of the more helpful link together in a post or edit the OP.

Yeah I think we need to update our OP. I'd be happy to do it if someone could help me out. That's a great spreadsheet, thanks! :)

Raticus79

I've been poking around for ships just to check up on the market. Sort of regret not storing a Retaliator or Starfarer in my hangar. Only sort of regret :]

I bet there will be a better bomber announced since the Retaliator was said to be "aging" (maybe from another manufacturer? I'm gonna say Origin)

I snagged the Starfarer just in case it's the best industrial ship, but I think there's a good chance one of the frigates/destroyer size ships coming up will have similar abilities. We've got the space pickup and space big rig, but don't have the space ocean tanker yet.

Can't find if the Vanduul are always hostile though. I thought they only said they always started out hostile for everyone, but I'm not sure if I'm right on that.

I bet it'll be possible to win over the Vanduul by picking on UEE.

Daedardus

I bet there will be a better bomber announced since the Retaliator was said to be "aging" (maybe from another manufacturer? I'm gonna go with Origin)

I snagged the Starfarer just in case it's the best industrial ship, but I think there's a good chance one of the frigates/destroyer size ships will have similar abilities. We've got the space pickup and space big rig, but don't have the space ocean tanker yet.

Origin has the 890 Jump. Don't know if it will be a bomber or a big trading/exploration vessel though. Probably will have multiple versions.

And the MISC Starfarer kinda fills the roll of ocean tanker. Could be that a bigger one is on the way though.

Francois424

Neo Member
For the Vanduul components, I guess I shall have to deal with the black market.

I'm pretty sure players getting their hands on components will agree to sell them to me.
It's just going to be more expensive than upgrading a regular ship.
I'm fine with that; I just wasn't too happy they pulled a "Oh by the way..." during LiveStream.

Oh well.

Dead Man

A jump point is kinda like a warp lane. You'll need the entrance to the jump point. Charted jumppoints can be more easily navigated to, as you can put on your normal auto-pilot to their coordinates. Uncharted jumppoints can be detected by a distortion in particles. Equiping your ship with a better jump drive will allow you to more easily detect a jumppoint or reduce your chances to be seen jumping.

As travelling in the jumppoint is essentialy hyperspace, I'm not sure if you can be intercepted mid-travel. You can however be caught into a trap at the end of the lane if someone detects you coming in on his radar.

Better jumpdrives also should allow you to use intersystem mini-jump, although they have not fully decided on that yet. There is also a normal auto-pilot available if you just wish to fly calmly. Access to in-game computer databases when travelling, like markets and whatnot is also an option they are exploring.
They have indicated the outlet of the jump will be over a large space to avoid camping at the exit, too.

Hmm. Did some research and it looks like from a lore point of view, a couple of hundred Scythe fighters were confiscated by the UEE and then sold to some private companies. So I guess it may be possible to find some obscure company or pirate who has salvaged Vanduul parts.

I think that was the justification used when they sold a couple hundred as pledge ships ages ago.

Daedardus

They have indicated the outlet of the jump will be over a large space to avoid camping at the exit, too.

Yeah, you can't camp at one place and start picking on all the ships. But jumping with a large ship and large, inefficient jump drive makes you visible on everyone's radar. They still can go after you if you're not careful.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Say, you guys think we'll be able to instead of just buying ships, find ships? Like, you're charting an asteroid field in an Aurora when you come across a small, derelict alien capital ship, would you potentially be able to bring it back to working condition and get it in your hanger? I mean, that's the sort of progression I'd really want. Instead of just buying things, we'd earn or discover interesting and unique things through exploration.

MrBig

Say, you guys think we'll be able to instead of just buying ships, find ships? Like, you're charting an asteroid field in an Aurora when you come across a small, derelict alien capital ship, would you potentially be able to bring it back to working condition and get it in your hanger? I mean, that's the sort of progression I'd really want. Instead of just buying things, we'd earn or discover interesting and unique things through exploration.

If you find an unoccupied ship or board/take over an occupied ship you can claim it as had been stated before, but it'd be very unlikely for anyone to just leave a ship laying around and extremely rare to find one in a repairable condition. Remember that this is going to be a living, realistically simulated universe, there won't be gamey loot drop systems.

Top Bottom