• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Fireye

I'm not sure how I missed this (possibly my wednesday meeting of doom right during the announce event), but I am absolutely in day 1 for this. I'm a bit torn on my level of support, not sure if I wanna go $60 or higher, but I absolutely will be pre-funding it.

The preview assets look pretty awesome, some of the carrier textures could use some extra detail, but overall the engine implementation looks really smooth. MechWarrior Online is Cryengine 3, and is playable today, I wonder how CE3 will hold up in 2014...

Xane

I'm fucking hyped.

To achieve real immersion, they have to get better Sound Effects (especially the weapon sounds), though. The current ones would totally destroy the immersion for me.

KKRT00

This is where Chris Roberts needs to hook up with Nintendo.

Please leave this thread, while You still can.

---
I think this is the best gif for this annoucement

oh-my-fucking-god-dog-gif.gif

--
Anyone who's complaining about it, just go buy COD instead please.
There was nothing even planned that is so ambitious and awesome as this game for Space genre or even MMO genre [CCP is exception]. Only CCP makes comparable games in terms of design and its nice to see that there are other who also like their concept of massively deep, high budget games.

It was my first kickstarted game, because its the first one that can fail in terms of crowdfunding and it definitely shouldnt!
If it will get founded, it will be breakthrough for PC gaming and end of 5-year-old-laptop compatible exclusive PC games. We need push and this the hardest tech and design push that happen in last few years.

ekim

The pledge site now looks totally different. I can't see the amount of total pledges anymore and also it didn't accept my login data from the original site. And what happens if the fund goal isn't reached? Do I get my money back?

Munin

The pledge site now looks totally different. I can't see the amount of total pledges anymore and also it didn't accept my login data from the original site. And what happens if the fund goal isn't reached? Do I get my money back?

It's a backup site and the original site states if they don't reach the goal you get your money back

It's a backup site and the original site states if they don't reach the goal you get your money back

Well you can CHOOSE to get your money back if the project doesn't reach it's target. So be careful and make sure you tick the "give me my money back" option, it is OFF by default.

ekim

Well you can CHOOSE to get your money back if the project doesn't reach it's target. So be careful and make sure you tick the "give me my money back" option, it is OFF by default.

What? There was no such option? If they have other large backers that kick in after 2 million, why dont they make the game just even without 2 million bucks?

Munin

What? There was no such option? If they have other large backers that kick in after 2 million, why dont they make the game just even without 2 million bucks?

The crowdfunding is only to prove to those mysterious larger backers that there is sufficient interest. Sounds a bit weird, I know. This whole bit is probably the shadiest and messiest thing about the project, and I wish Roberts would detail it a bit further, but yeah.

The option seems to be available on the "main" site but it does not appear on the backup sites. This whole thing is an absolute mess and could have been avoided if they had used the Kickstarter program.

Fireye

I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't a Boxed Edition offered in the pre-funding rewards, so I bugged 'em on facebook. Hurray, RSI replied!

We've heard you loud and clear, re: boxes. Going to talk to the team about this as soon as we've recovered from today's announcement.

Once they decide on a boxed edition pricepoint, I'll probably jump in there, if it isn't too pricey.

jett

D-Member
Did they really go for this flimsy site just so they can avoid a 5% fee?

I don't know, but it seems that way. They probably get to keep the money no matter what too, since there's no "goal" or time limit. Or no rules or terms of service or any real, reliable infrastructure of any kind. It's a very weird proposition.

ekim

Besides the weird funding method, I really feel a whole generation of gaming reviving this year. This just feels to good.

kadotsu

Banned
I don't know, but it seems that way. They probably get to keep the money no matter what too, since there's no "goal" or time limit. It's a very weird proposition.

Grim Dawn pulled it off pretty well before their Kickstarter. I hope they go for an additional funding cycle using Kickstarter when they have an actual product to show.

Corto

Pretty dumb to not use kickstarter, frankly.

Considering the final budget that they're shooting for (12-14 million according to Eurogamer interview), that would never be possible in Kickstarter alone. If they made a Kickstarter with the pitch: "Ok guys the final goal is 2 million dollars but that it's not enough and we will need some private investors to chip in and bring the final amount to a more reasonable (for the scope of the game we are aiming for) 12-14 million dollars. So this pledge is just a test to show those private investors that this project has an audience out there." The kickstarter campaign would fail. And I even have some reservations that Kickstarter TOS would allow a campaign with that kind of objective.

Sentenza

Ever tried any of the X games? X Rebirth is supposedly coming out soon.
Never actually liked the combat in X games. It never had that smooth and yet frenetic feel you get from games like X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Freespace 2 or the best Wing Commander games.

By the way, everything they shown and explained so far about the game makes me incredibly excited. I was going for several Kickstarter threads in the past months claiming things "Now we just need another big space sim and this will be a golden age of gaming".
It really feels like the resurgence of BIG, ambitious PC games these days.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This is the worst troll attempt I've ever seen.

Also people really need to stop bringing up X as some kind of space sim for people to play. It's an economic simulator that wraps it's gui in a cockpit. It's as much a space sim as zoo tycoon is.

DieH@rd

Banned
I don't know, but it seems that way. They probably get to keep the money no matter what too, since there's no "goal" or time limit. Or no rules or terms of service or any real, reliable infrastructure of any kind. It's a very weird proposition.

On the official site [before they put up this temporary one] there was 30 day time limit sign below other statistics.

Sentenza

Hilarious.
If anything, with the kind of game he's doing, with the "small constant updates"-model he's proposing and the focus on PC as only platform, this could feeling something to pitch to Valve.
I don't see where Nintendo -with their very strict, controlled, closed and corporate-like mentality- fits at any point with this project.

Perkel

Banned
Official site is down.

As above someone stated. I see why they are not doing it by kickstarter. Kickstarter TOS doesn't allow partial funding. As of this whole idea with investor it's probably like CARS. Meaning it will be investor not publisher meaning they will hold IP and they will share their income with investor.

That is the difference between investor and publisher.

It's hard for me to believe as I've never given a cent to crowd funding initiatives — I kind of detest the practice — but here I am on the verge of pledging 5000 or 10000. For me, this is closest thing ever to a personal miracle.

DocSeuss

Never actually liked the combat in X games. It never had that smooth and yet frenetic feel you get from games like X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Freespace 2 or the best Wing Commander games.

By the way, everything they shown and explained so far about the game makes me incredibly excited. I was going for several Kickstarter threads in the past months claiming things "Now we just need another big space sim and this will be a golden age of gaming".
It really feels like the resurgence of BIG, ambitious PC games these days.

We'll need someone to kickstart a Looking Glass-style game first. Then I will agree.

Sentenza

We'll need someone to kickstart a Looking Glass-style game first. Then I will agree.
Well, there were rumors of someone proposing a new Ultima Underwolrd to these Legeond of Grimrock's guys, but they apparently refused.
I'm still waiting to see what could ever come out of that.

I'm also quite impatient to know what Doug Church is exactly working on in Valve. But that could even be a big "nothing".

XPE

It's hard for me to believe as I've never given a cent to crowd funding initiatives — I kind of detest the practice — but here I am on the verge of pledging 5000 or 10000. For me, this is closest thing ever to a personal miracle.

Well if that’s how you feel maybe the 60 or 125 would be more reasonable.

epmode

I'm also quite impatient to know what Doug Church is exactly working on in Valve. But that could even be a big "nothing".

I desperately want to see Valve get involved in immersive sim-style games. OR SPACE SIMS. And I'm 80% sure I read a comment about Valve toying with the idea of a space sim.

Sentenza

I desperately want to see Valve get involved in immersive sim-style games. OR SPACE SIMS. And I'm 80% sure I read a comment about Valve toying with the idea of a space sim.
I guess you are talking about the rumored SOB.

I'm still hoping this project actually exists and it wasn't ditched, because the art direction they were going with these concept arts looks simply amazing (in its own weird, unusual way).

Top Bottom