• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

DocSeuss

Well, there were rumors of someone proposing a new Ultima Underwolrd to these Legeond of Grimrock's guys, but they apparently refused.
I'm still waiting to see what could ever come out of that.

I'm also quite impatient to know what Doug Church is exactly working on in Valve. But that could even be a big "nothing".

There's also Thievery, but that's not quite as cohesive as a full game.

I wonder if Doug Church and Clint Hocking are working on the same game. Also, does anyone know where Randy Smith went?

Speculation: the rumors of Half-Life 3, with all the crazy open-world stuff, are a twisted version of the immersive sim Valve's guys are actually building.

In its own way, Space Citizen sounds like an immersive sim, just... also a space sim.

DocSeuss

I hope not. To be meaningful it would distract from what the game is all about. Piloting spaceships. To have a mediocre FPS/TPS portion just to fill a bullet point is a waste of resources too.

I personally would hope for an excellent portion of both. That would be my ideal video game.

Corto

I personally would hope for an excellent portion of both. That would be my ideal video game.

In a reality where Space Sims had some kind of parity in terms of presence with other video games genres I would also love to have a total space game. In the present scenario I just want to pilot a spaceship.

Ohhhh yes!!! back to pc gaming, i love space sims, im a huge fan of Xwing and Wing Commander (mostly first ones), i been dreaming about a game like this for years!

Lemming

This is a really excellent end of year with the xcom remake turning out to be great and now THIS.
Bring us scary ass nebulas, out of the blue flagships and component targetting. go!

Atomski

1920x-1

Not sure if this has been pointed out yet.. but the guy in the lower right corner.. his thumbs appear to be on backwards.

:p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet.. but the guy in the lower right corner.. his thumbs appear to be on backwards.

:p

I guess that's why Roberts could use our money ... so he can afford to put thumbs on hands correctly.

Shit takes money, yo

Keasar

Whenever I try to make my pledge, I get the weirdest error message.

Error from gateway:

Invalid currency: eur.

Euro is not a valid currency? :(
Also, why do I have to pay for shipping when Im just getting a digital edition?

For some reason, my email that used for the registration a month ago (with the golden ticket promotion), is shown as unregistered. There's no support email or contact page. I want to give them money, but I can't!

FACE

Banned
Whenever I try to make my pledge, I get the weirdest error message.

Euro is not a valid currency? :(
Also, why do I have to pay for shipping when Im just getting a digital edition?

Are you trying to pledge on the european pledge site?

~Kinggi~

Banned
omg wat the wat!!!! This looks amazing.

Wait, why isnt this a kickstarter? I feel as if the kickstarter name alone would get them more backers....

Alright i just read the reasoning for the private site. Interesting if they can crowd source 2-4 mil they get an additional 10 mil from an investor...

NZNova

omg wat the wat!!!! This looks amazing.

Wait, why isnt this a kickstarter? I feel as if the kickstarter name alone would get them more backers....

Because:

Why not Kickstarter?
We love Kickstarter. We've backed projects on their site and believe
everyone in the development community owes a debt to Kickstarter for putting crowd funding on the map, and making it legitimate. But for us the ultimate goal of crowd funding is about connecting the "crowd" directly with the creators with as little friction as possible. By building a crowd funding component directly into our site we can insure everyone who wants to back the game can - we provide multiple payment options to make sure that wherever in the world you are there is an option that can work for you. It means you just have one destination to support the project, read updates, and most importantly participate with other members of the community! All on a site that's designed around the game universe being created, providing the least friction possible. Kickstarter, as great as it is, can't deliver this experience, which is why we've decided to go it alone.

Personally, I'm not completely satisfied with that answer, but there it is. The game still sounds incredible and I'll be funding the everliving fuck out of it.

NZNova

More like "I want to keep more of the money".

That would be a more honest answer, I think. That is basically what their answer is saying, in less explicit language. The "one destination" answer has the faint aroma of bullshit around it, but the "less friction" basically means "we won't have to pay kickstarter a percentage". But, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. As a backer, would you rather your money go toward the development of the game, or the fees of a middleman?

If they think they can get the momentum behind them without relying on a third party tool like Kickstarter - and based on this thread it seems they'll have no problems - then more power to them. At the end of the day, Kickstarter itself contributes nothing beyond brand recognition. If they don't need it, why pay for it?

inm8num2

How is the funding working? Are you charged immediately or at the end of the fundraising campaign?

Since the main site is down, I can't seem to find more info on the backup site.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Site being down is definitely gonna hurt them a little. Having a working counter always builds hype. Nobody knows how much they are at right now.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That would be a more honest answer, I think. That is basically what their answer is saying, in less explicit language. The "one destination" answer has the faint aroma of bullshit around it, but the "less friction" basically means "we won't have to pay kickstarter a percentage". But, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. As a backer, would you rather your money go toward the development of the game, or the fees of a middleman?

If they think they can get the momentum behind them without relying on a third party tool like Kickstarter - and based on this thread it seems they'll have no problems - then more power to them. At the end of the day, Kickstarter itself contributes nothing beyond brand recognition. If they don't need it, why pay for it?

Kickstarter provides guarantees to all the backers that the group receiving money won't run off with it if the goal isn't met, and lays down some regulations to ensure the groups looking for money aren't just a bunch of crackheads looking to bankroll their next score. As it is now, Chris Roberts could take everyone's money whether the goal is met or not and spend it on hookers and blow. There's no safety net.

That said, the way Roberts is going about this, he couldn't have used Kickstarter in the first place. He's only using crowdsourcing as a way to show customer interest to private investors, which isn't a valid reason to have a Kickstarter based on Kickstarter's rules. It's a little shady, which is why Kickstarter doesn't allow it.

[EDIT] I hate to make this argument, because I think this project is awesome and Roberts won't be shady. But there are valid reasons for using Kickstarter and for the way it does things, and in most cases, you don't want to back a project unless it has a safety net like Kickstarter.

gatti-man

$ 125 it is...

I'd give $10,000 if I were a rich man...

You and me both.

Kickstarter provides guarantees to all the backers that the group receiving money won't run off with it if the goal isn't met, and lays down some regulations to ensure the groups looking for money aren't just a bunch of crackheads looking to bankroll their next score. As it is now, Chris Roberts could take everyone's money whether the goal is met or not and spend it on hookers and blow. There's no safety net.

That said, the way Roberts is going about this, he couldn't have used Kickstarter in the first place. He's only using crowdsourcing as a way to show customer interest to private investors, which isn't a valid reason to have a Kickstarter based on Kickstarter's rules. It's a little shady, which is why Kickstarter doesn't allow it.
This isn't really fair. On the main page that's down there was an option to get a refund if goals aren't met. Plus it's Chris Roberts.

NZNova

This isn't really true. There's not really a safety net on Kickstarter either. Once the funding is met, that's it. From Kickstarter's FAQ:

Who is responsible for completing a project as promised?

It's the project creator's responsibility to complete their project. Kickstarter is not involved in the development of the projects themselves.

Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Can Kickstarter refund the money if a project is unable to fulfill?

No. Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds as transactions are between backers and creators, and creators receive all funds (after fees) soon after their campaign ends. Creators have the ability to refund backers through Amazon Payments (for US projects) and Kickstarter (for UK projects).

Atomski

Just watched the longer video on the website and.. wow. Hyped for sure. Will be funding for sure.

Also I dont see why it needs to be a kickstarter.. Notch didnt use it to fund his game nor does Project Cars and many other crowd funded games. You would think this would always be a much better idea as all the money can go towards the game and not into Kickstarters pocket..

The-Bean

Did anyone see how many people had pledged and how much before they removed the counter? Last I saw it there were just over 1300 people and $60000 pledged, but that was shortly after it was available.

gatti-man

Did anyone see how many people had pledged and how much before they removed the counter? Last I saw it there were just over 1300 people and $60000 pledged, but that was shortly after it was available.

An hour after that it was 160k. I wouldn't be shocked if tomorrow they post 500k to 1 mill.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ah I'm so hyped for this game.

I just wanna go into cryo for 18 months until the game is out. Fuck the world.

What would I like to see out of this game?

Massive scale.

I want to be able to pilot fighter craft, and go up against fleets of player crewed capital ships, who can launch their own fighter craft.

I want to be able to be the navigator on a ship, control a turret, or the flight crew.

I know this stuff is probably outside the scope of what they can realistically achieve; but they're aiming for total immersion, then they'll have to think about design in a way that encompasses these sort of interactions and mechanics.

They can launch it in a simplified manner; but then expand on it once its more established. They're definetly going to have small-medium sized capital ships...

so start with a FTL system of crew, weapons, etc management, then up the detail a bit.

So like FTL, you get a bunch of rooms that have their own functions. Each room can have its own set of hit points - each room/ship section starts taking damage, functionality starts falling; oxygen starts getting wicked away. There can be an overall hull/chassis integrity. Target each weapon/weapon group.

Then later down the track, each of those activities (weapons management, shield management, navigation, etc) can become a game in their own right.

Ship construction should be...

chassis, hard points, tonnage limitations.

Maybe not dissimilar to how Elite Frontier does it. Buy your shields, missles, beam weapons, etc.

Except instead of a simply fungible cargo space - maybe set aside specific spaces for fuel space, and cargo space (i.e. your 10 ton cargo hold can max upto 10 tons, you 10 ton fuel store can max upto 10 tons - but they occupy part of the max weight load on the ship design screen). Then when those areas of your ship get blasted, you start losing those elements; get hit in your cargo hold, you cargo starts getting trashed, etc.

Looks amazing. Can't wait to play it. Looks like I'll finally have to splurge on a high-end PC.

I wonder what they will do to encourage exploration. He mentioned in the panel that it was possible to visit Earth and even purchase a penthouse. I hope this means that it is possible to visit other planets. I would love to be exploring uncharted space and come across something like the Degobah System, even if the planets are not fully fleshed out.

Mairu

Is there a comparison chart of the pledge levels anywhere? The site is kind of confusing compared to the way Kickstarters are usually displayed.

Mairu

That's not a comparison chart :(

It doesn't look like you can see the whole pledge without going into each individual package, which is why I asked. I mean, this it says for the second and third pledges:

"Early Adopter" Ship Pledge
The finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta 1,000 credits White Citizens Card (shipping within the US free, add $5 for international - Delivery Est: Xmas 2012)...

"Have Starship Will Travel" Ship Pledge
The finished game for your PC with your RSI Aurora spaceship ready to fly Exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta 1,000 credits White Citizens Card (shipping within the US free, add $5 for international - Delivery Est: Xmas 2012)...
That's the same? What are credits even used for? Going into each of them I see a "Title" difference listed that's not listed on the main page, what's the point of the titles? I mean the structure of getting different ships and more "credits" for more expensive packages makes me think this is going to be a F2P MMO (but I know this is not the case.)

Zaptruder

Banned
That's not a comparison chart :(

It doesn't look like you can see the whole pledge without going into each individual package, which is why I asked. I mean, this it says for the second and third pledges:

That's the same? What are credits even used for? Going into each of them I see a "Title" difference listed that's not listed on the main page, what's the point of the titles? I mean the structure of getting different ships and more "credits" for more expensive packages makes me think this is going to be a F2P MMO (but I know this is not the case.)

The tiers are a little funny, but the overall vision is so enticing that I actually want to throw money at it.

Mairu

The tiers are a little funny, but the overall vision is so enticing that I actually want to throw money at it.

I'm probably going to back it, but after looking at the Q&A on the main page it does sound like a F2P game that costs money :/

At this point, I really couldn't care less if they succeed with the multiplayer aspect of it or not. As long as the single-player game has Privateer 2 gameplay and design, I would consider it money well-spent. The last true space sim I played was DarkStar One, and this looks thousands of light years better than that.

Putting in $30 as soon as get the cash.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm probably going to back it, but after looking at the Q&A on the main page it does sound like a F2P game that costs money :/

Is the Single Player F2p? Or do you buy campaigns? And then they have a free roam F2P multiplayer mode after the campaign? That's what it sounds like.

Mairu

Is the Single Player F2p? Or do you buy campaigns? And then they have a free roam F2P multiplayer mode after the campaign? That's what it sounds like.

Not a subscription but not free-to-play; rather a hybrid of these two business models. Much like ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2, you will purchase the PC game and pay no recurring subscription charges. Your purchase of the game will allow you to play in the universe for free, forever! The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding "in-game purchases" is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!
Everything is bought with in-game credits. These purchases won't offer any advantage over someone who puts in the "game-time" to earn the same amount of credits. You might ask, why have "in-game" purchases at all? This allows us the resources to support the game on an ongoing basis as well as continually add content.
I mean, it's not free to play in that you have to pay to get the game once. But the in game purchases sounds just like free to play to me

Top Bottom