• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

If you mean when the bottom hatch partially blew open, he was strapped into a seat, so he wouldn't have been sucked into the vacuum. As for fixing the ship, there should be ways to repair systems that are knocked offline, but I don't know about repairing actual hull breaches on the go.

I know he was strapped in, I was talking in general. Because if that is the case, then his only two options would be: 1. stay put 2. try to move to another section of the ship if possible, but I'm trying to ascertain how possible would number 2 be under such circumstances.

KKRT00

I know he was strapped in, I was talking in general. Because if that is the case, then his only two options would be: 1. stay put 2. try to move to another section of the ship if possible, but I'm trying to ascertain how possible would number 2 be under such circumstances.
Player would definitely be flying there. Look how particles are accelerated by physics.

In game render!
Where is the info about that?

MJLord

You'd probably be better letting the pressure equalize then trying to get to a door.

Daedardus

In game render!
beautifulslimecoatsuj1c.png

It really has a beautiful slime coat.

I like the fishically based rendering on this one.

Daedardus

Nice to see that the engine scales well.

Yeah, it really helped that they reeled in those Crytek guys.

I feel like I'm reading the comment section at RPS with all these puns...

Here, I'll make you feel like you are reading actual NeoGAF comments:
Wow, this is amazing. Video of what it looks like inside a Cutlass during a Firefight and it's subsequent death.

Never been more excited to frantically run around a multi-crew ship while it's falling apart around me.

Meh, why would I want to play a buggy unfinished demo? To think everyone has to spent at least $2000 on this, and all the devs do is riding around in Ferraris.

Zalusithix

Here, I'll make you feel like you are reading actual NeoGAF comments:

Meh, why would I want to play a buggy unfinished demo? To think everyone has to spent at least $2000 on this, and all the devs do is riding around in Ferraris.

Lmao... At least everything has managed to stay in that thread and not spill over into this one. That way we can talk about important things here, like fish, without getting side tracked. ;)

Zunja

I think the website is a tad confusing so I'm hoping for some info here. I do have reservations about buying in but I'm super excited for the potential.

so is ship damage important aside from numbers. Like can my hull get blasted and sucks the dude in the cargo bay outside. I guess what I'm really hoping for is ship damage like FTL. My friends and I would love to like divert power from lights or oxygeN to guns And have where the ship gets hit be important.

It looks Hella good right now though.

Zalusithix

I think the website is a tad confusing so I'm hoping for some info here. I do have reservations about buying in but I'm super excited for the potential.

so is ship damage important aside from numbers. Like can my hull get blasted and sucks the dude in the cargo bay outside. I guess what I'm really hoping for is ship damage like FTL. My friends and I would love to like divert power from lights or oxygeN to guns And have where the ship gets hit be important.

It looks Hella good right now though.

Ship damage will potentially knock systems offline that'll require having to go around fixing. Power redirection is already a thing. Ships have limited power and you can divert the power between thrust, weapons, and shielding. Shielding itself can be strengthened in certain quadrants at the expense of others. In addition to power limitations, ships will also have a CPU limitation. So yeah, there's a lot of integrated systems.

Getting sucked out of the ship, on the other hand I'm not sure about. Pretty sure the boots are going to be magnetic to keep you in place to a certain extent. You'd also often be strapped in somewhere during combat.

Zunja

Ship damage will potentially knock systems offline that'll require having to go around fixing. Power redirection is already a thing. Ships have limited power and you can divert the power between thrust, weapons, and shielding. Shielding itself can be strengthened in certain quadrants at the expense of others. In addition to power limitations, ships will also have a CPU limitation. So yeah, there's a lot of integrated systems.

Getting sucked out of the ship, on the other hand I'm not sure about. Pretty sure the boots are going to be magnetic to keep you in place to a certain extent. You'd also often be strapped in somewhere during combat.

That all sounds awesome thanks for the response. do we know if it'll take resources? Like can my repair gun always repair. It'd be awesome to Space Trucker it with some friends going across crazy distances.

This game does sounder great with friends. I hope there are lots of ship jobs like ,medic, captain, engineer, weapons, and more.

Is there a good video or article that details the plans for exploration in SC? I've read that it's more like a "region-based" open world vs a true open world, as the galaxy isn't really to scale but each system is hand-crafted, that your controls in open space when exploring are kind on autopilot. However, I'm pretty sure this information is old, so I'd like to find the latest!

Zalusithix

That all sounds awesome thanks for the response. do we know if it'll take resources? Like can my repair gun always repair. It'd be awesome to Space Trucker it with some friends going across crazy distances.

This game does sounder great with friends. I hope there are lots of ship jobs like ,medic, captain, engineer, weapons, and more.

I'd recommend you read this: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...i-Crew-Ship-Systems+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (Google cached version to get around the April fools replacements.) Particularly the multi crew ship systems part.

red36

Neo Member
On the subject of power redirection, it doesn't function like in FTL in that you have LESS than necessary power and need to choose. Even at 0 power (that the player sets, its more like a minimum power setting) weapons and shields still function. But if, say you're shields get blown out then increasing the power to shields will regenerate faster.

I've heard that power redirection further down the line will involve some puzzle mechanics, so we'll see.

injurai

Banned
The divide in understanding this game is quite staggering. The derisson some people hold toward this game is just amazing. I have a friend who completely misunderstands what this game promises let alone where it stands in development. That thread on the wired article has shown even more unimaginable stances. Skepticism is welcome towards ambition, but my goodness the platitudes given towards Chris Roberts and the expectations of turnarounds is absurd.

PreFire

I'm all for support, but I can't believe that one guy spent tens of thousands of dollars on digital ships lol

Really into space sims but I read Star Citizen doesn't have accurate star systems in terms of scale just to make traveling faster. I would rather them take the elite dangerous route and build an accurate 1:1 Galaxy, and just give us the ability to travel faster than the speed of light.

If I'm misinformed and Star Citizen is actually making a 1:1 accurate Galaxy, please post a link showing it

I'm looking forward to it though.. These ships are gorgeous

MrBig

I'm all for support, but I can't believe that one guy spent tens of thousands of dollars on digital ships lol

Really into space sims but I read Star Citizen doesn't have accurate star systems in terms of scale just to make traveling faster. I would rather them take the elite dangerous route and build an accurate 1:1 Galaxy, and just give us the ability to travel faster than the speed of light.

If I'm misinformed and Star Citizen is actually making a 1:1 accurate Galaxy, please post a link showing it

SC is certainly not doing 1:1 scale. Elite ended up focusing on procedural generation and SC on hand crafting/design - both with their ups and downs, but it makes real scale infeasible with the allotted time/money in which SC is to be produced with.

e: It will still be at a large scale. There will be two forms of fast travel: worm holes interconnecting system-scale distances in absolute locations and a ship autopilot sub-ftl fast travel to traverse large distances within systems. As I recall hands-on flight is planned to measure system traversal in terms of hours.

PreFire

SC is certainly not doing 1:1 scale. Elite ended up focusing on procedural generation and SC on hand crafting/design - both with their ups and downs, but it makes real scale infeasible with the allotted time/money in which SC is to be produced with.

Thanks for the quick reply OP.

So a 1:1 scale world drawn/designed by artists would either have to be relatively small, or it would take a decade and a billion dollars to make? (Give or take?)

If I fix my pc any time soon (or buy a mini itx gaming build) I'll jump on this. $40 to get into the testing team and your own ship is cool. I'll spend $20 more on ships (if possible) and enjoy it until it comes out

I love space sims. And landing on planets and actually combatting is fucking amazing

viveks86

Not sure if this is authoritative, but found some calculations around this subject.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2pdw92/the_scale_of_star_systems_in_star_citizen/

PreFire

Not sure if this is authoritative, but found some calculations around this subject.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2pdw92/the_scale_of_star_systems_in_star_citizen/

Cool, that definitely gives you an idea of the scope. But I sort of agree with the first reply

I can't see them spending months building beautiful ship interiors and systems to have us quick travel in minutes instead of taking our time and taking it all in. Setting a course should mean something.

But like OP said, it's infeasable for them. But I wouldn't want it to take four months to get to my destination lol

viveks86

Cool, that definitely gives you an idea of the scope. But I sort of agree with the first reply

But like OP said, it's infeasable for them. But I wouldn't want it to take four months to get to my destination lol

Yeah I'm curious how all this will work while simultaneously keeping the player(s) engaged.

Yeah I'm curious how all this will work while simultaneously keeping the player(s) engaged.

When you hear that crossing a system takes 30 mins, that does sound like it is on the short side. When you consider they talk about adding 130 systems then that gives you some numbers to mull. To cross it all that is 3900 minutes. Roughly 65 hours in transit alone. Not including any event's, planets, or satellites to scan or explore, encounters with alien races or dedicated missions. You also have to think of it this way, a system most likely isn't going to be 30 mins in only one direction. Think about volume of contained system, so if you deviate to alternate points within the given system then it is going to take you alot longer than 30 mins to "explore" the system. The game sounds like it is going to be large yet try to find a balance between empty space sim and the more unrealistic but exciting encounter based space sim.

MrBig

That 30 minute figure looks to be in relation to the cruise mode. That is for hands-off A to B travel (like the warp drive common in sci-fi universes) in which you would only be subjected to chance encounters with players or AI that cross your path. Actual hands-on flight, which would be used for exploration or specific activities as opposed to planned routes would be much slower.

viveks86

When you hear that crossing a system takes 30 mins, that does sound like it is on the short side. When you consider they talk about adding 130 systems then that gives you some numbers to mull. To cross it all that is 3900 minutes. Roughly 65 hours in transit alone. Not including any event's, planets, or satellites to scan or explore, encounters with alien races or dedicated missions. You also have to think of it this way, a system most likely isn't going to be 30 mins in only one direction. Think about volume of contained system, so if you deviate to alternate points within the given system then it is going to take you alot longer than 30 mins to "explore" the system. The game sounds like it is going to be large yet try to find a balance between empty space sim and the more unrealistic but exciting encounter based space sim.

The 30 minutes figure is for cruise mode, which is hands off. For hands off travel, it's actually pretty long as all the "exploration" you would will get to do during that time period is staring at a star field. I guess it would be a good time for people to take breaks or check their inventory, but I wonder if there would be other ways to make the 30 minutes fun (other than warding off the occasional pirate, of course).

Dead Man

Soooo... apologies if it's been asked a bunch, but has the Vanguard made my Gladiator redundant? Seems like it is the ship I expected the Gladiator to be. Big, fast, heavy, powerfully armed, and capable of acting independently a bit. Not seeing how the Gladiator fits that any more with the changes they made to it.

And I hate the new turret on the Gladiator :(

Edit: Also, I am feeling foolish but I can't find confirmation that using a CCU on my game package means I keep all the items and lti of that package. Can anyone confirm? Looking to go from a 325a in an Arbiter package to a Cutlass.

Zalusithix

Soooo... apologies if it's been asked a bunch, but has the Vanguard made my Gladiator redundant? Seems like it is the ship I expected the Gladiator to be. Big, fast, heavy, powerfully armed, and capable of acting independently a bit. Not seeing how the Gladiator fits that any more with the changes they made to it.

And I hate the new turret on the Gladiator :(

Edit: Also, I am feeling foolish but I can't find confirmation that using a CCU on my game package means I keep all the items and lti of that package. Can anyone confirm? Looking to go from a 325a in an Arbiter package to a Cutlass.

The Gladiator is a carrier based bomber (air to ground) with torpedo capabilities designed to operate in strike groups with hornets. The Vanguard is a larger, heavier, long ranged fighter that also has torpedo capabilities that'll often be alone or only with ships of the same class. Other than the fact that they both can carry torpedoes, they're apples and oranges.

CCUs change the ship, and don't modify anything else in the package.

Thanks for the quick reply OP.

So a 1:1 scale world drawn/designed by artists would either have to be relatively small, or it would take a decade and a billion dollars to make? (Give or take?)

If I fix my pc any time soon (or buy a mini itx gaming build) I'll jump on this. $40 to get into the testing team and your own ship is cool. I'll spend $20 more on ships (if possible) and enjoy it until it comes out

I love space sims. And landing on planets and actually combatting is fucking amazing

Yeah, I've been trying to find information on the exploration side of things for Star Citizen. The unofficial wiki doesn't have much in their FAQ, and the only other info I have found is actually from the Elite wiki FAQ, which makes me doubt its accuracy. Regardless, they do have sources:

Landing on planets in Star Citizen will use scripted in-game cinematics and will be limited to specific landing zones as opposed to Elite: Dangerous where it will be freeform (manual pitch/yaw/roll) land wherever you want.

Star Citizen's interplanetary fast travel will allow a speed of up to 20% the speed of light (0.2C), which necessitates scaled down star systems to compress spatial distances to make travel times practical. It also won't be freeform (Autopilot Only) nor have combat manoeuvring in this mode, so you will not have the ability to specify an exact random location in space. You can navigate to known locations or tag a ship they want to track or ambush. Also you must fly through wormhole-like jump points (which will allow some interactivity) at fixed locations to other star system.

Star Citizen's galaxy will have 120 star systems at launch, with time compressed to 2 hours for each day (1:12 scale time) and a more casual take on spatial size and distance of celestial bodies, meaning planets won't be properly scaled and they might also not orbit. To give an example, Elite: Dangerous will have stars alone that can engulf whole star systems of Star Citizen multiple times. Also see this video to give a sense of scale.
Given what we know about our solar system, the orbits of exoplanets and the fact that the maximum speed in Star Citizen will be 0.2C, with a targeted travel time of around 30 minutes to cross a star system, it is calculated that the size of Star Citizen star systems will be compressed to around 1:100 up to 1:2500 scale.

In Star Citizen, planetside movement will be restricted to specialized locations, connected by scripted sequences, such as star ports, small city hubs, bars and FPS arenas, while the rest of the planet is off limits.

Does anyone know if this is still accurate?

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, I've been trying to find information on the exploration side of things for Star Citizen. The unofficial wiki doesn't have much in their FAQ, and the only other info I have found is actually from the Elite wiki FAQ, which makes me doubt its accuracy. Regardless, they do have sources:

I couldn't say anything about the specifics, but the broad strokes seem right.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Most of it looks pretty accurate. Although it's all been phrased to make Star Citizen sound sloppy and restrictive while making Elite look like it's full of freedom and unicorns and rainbows, LoL

One thing that doesn't look right is the part that says you can't travel to a spot in a star system without it being a known area first. I'm pretty sure you can go wherever you want, it just takes longer than when you go to "autopilot" mode, which, as that FAQ describes, is a sped-up mode for getting to a waypoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom