• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

MrBig

More specific to Star Citizen is that ships are a crucial part of the game, and deserve any extra care put into them. But do we really need to have a gun that costs $10,000 to model, especially seeing as this isn't the only gun in the game?

I understand what you're saying now but I still don't think there's an issue. While the visual fidelity of things has improved greatly over the years, the tools to make things have evolved significantly as well. Workflow refinement and automation, the wealth of resources and knowledge bases now available, and the evolution of tools has made the creation of very highly detailed models and materials relatively simple and quick (and from these highly-detailed assets they can reduce the resolution to whatever the game needs easily). I'd be surprised if that gun cost more than a few days of one or two people's time.

e: I see the note about 2-3 weeks for completion. While I'm sure that they were working on other things concurrently, that is quite a long time to spend on one asset.

Dezeer

Shamelessly stolen from the Nvidia thread:

i3qq.jpg

I thought Chris Roberts said there wouldn't be any vendor specific features, what's going on?

Zabojnik

I thought Chris Roberts said there wouldn't be any vendor specific features, what's going on?

Betrayalton!
I have no idea and I'm not bothered. It's way too early for me to care what graphics card I'll be buying for SC. I'm sure we'll be fine with both AMD or Nvidia.

Daedardus

But what was that trailer at the AMD event?

Betrayalton!
I have no idea and I'm not bothered. It's way too early for me to care what graphics card I'll be buying for SC. I'm sure we'll be fine with both AMD or Nvidia.

I hope AMD fixes their drivers by the time I upgrade my machine.

Zabojnik

Iirc, you need to hire additional crew members to replace absent players.

I don't think you actually *need* to hire crew members. You could very well fly the Constellation on your own. Obviously, if you find youself under heavy fire and have no one to mount the turrets ... you're pretty much fucked. :)

Zabojnik

The mousepads are back! Only they're more like "massive 36.22” x 11.57” surfaces designed for use with more elaborate control surfaces, like HOTAS joystick setups." Each is 35$ shipped.

RSI_goliathmousepad1.jpg

Anvil_goliathmousepad1.jpg

Origin_goliathmousepad1.jpg

epmode

Oh hay, 23 million.

$25 M goal:

Enhanced Alpha – We will use additional funding to build a wider alpha test than we had originally intended for the first phase of Star Citizen’s launch. The initial plan was to first launch servers in North America and then expand to areas such as Europe and Australia to decrease latency in these areas, perfecting the game as we improve the experience around the world. This funding will allow us to invest in a wider infrastructure for our early testing, spinning up remote servers earlier. Hitting this goal will also allow us to increase the number of remaining alpha slots. Extra alpha slots not only means more Star Citizens will travel the ‘verse at launch, but that we will receive more feedback and more stress testing. This in turn will allow us to better balance and enhance the Star Citizen experience!

samjaza

Guuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyssssssssss

Brb.

Wow, that looks awesome.
Truthfully i'm looking forward to the single player more then the multiplayer both S42 and hosting my own server.
Its going to be interesting what the differences are going to be between private and the official servers are going to be.

Mindlog

SIX MILLION DOLLAR STRETCH GOAL ACHIEVED!
Martin_Galway said:
Howdy folks!

I'm delighted to announce that on Friday next week (25th October), we are going to record some Star Citizen music with a 75-piece orchestra. It's the Capellen Orchestra located in the Czech Republic. The music they will perform has been composed by Pedro Macedo Camacho... same guy who brought you the current Launcher music, the 300i commercial music and the Aurora commercial music.

Obviously we will have lots more to tell you after the session, but I just wanted you to know where we're at with our plans to honour the commitment we made to you way back on November 10th 2012, during our overnight Star Citizen event, when your pledges totalled $6,000,000. Pedro, Chris and I have been planning this all year.

Here are a couple of videos of the orchestra in action, working on previous projects. While the music is not from our game, the videos were made with the exact same musicians, performance venue, microphones and conductor as we will use next week for Star Citizen. So you get an idea of the sound quality that can be achieved. Once again - this is NOT music from Star Citizen.

"Journey to Elysium" - Making of "ELYSIUM" by Jo Blankenburg
Making of: Two Steps From Heaven by Thomas Bergersen

Here's an interview with the orchestra director, Petr Pololanik. If you are prepared to watch all of this there's a lot to glean about the details of running and orchestra and how to make it sound awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECJDMFwGiU

Exciting huh?

-MG
Your money at work.
Source.

Keasar

Well I am excited! I love orchestral music and if they can make something really wonderful for me to listen to while flying through space I am all for it.

CTLance

Y'all did not miss that we will be getting a miniature for our Hangars as part of meeting that stretch goal, right? Not right now of course, only when it's done. Still, gotta pimp that Hangar until it takes three hours to load and a quad-Titan SLI to render at 240p.

I'm so glad I am out of entertainment funds for this month. Those mousepads are seriously tempting... Although I just know they'll be those flabby things with dirt-and-grease-attracting cloth surface that stink like an accident in the chemlab. Yep yep yep. That's gotta be it. Hence why I needn't buy one right now and can wait. *twitch*

No additional international shipping charges is decent of them, and at a smidgen below 25€ per package the customs office here in ye olden Germany won't demand a fee. Awesome. They know their (second-biggest, was it?) target audience.

Also: Dat music. Hrngface.jpg

CTLance

So does anyone here plan on getting x:Rebirth to hold them over until this comes out? I know I am.
Absofriggenlutely. I'm still torn on the changes, but nothing* will prevent me from playing that game.

*barring personal bankruptcy from crazy spaceship purchases.

Keasar

Elite: Dangerous, Limit Theory, X: Rebirth, Space Rangers HD, I got my space ship itch satisfied for a while I think till Star Citizen.

RascarCapat

Neo Member
THAT IS AN OUTRAGE, ALL THIS VENDOR EXCLUSIVE BULLSH ... Oh it's Nvidia, I have that - Then it's okay.

I lol'd !

I was actually wondering if it's really vendor exclusive bullshit or if it's just has to do with specific Nvidia / AMD technology that allow effects not (yet) compatible with the other vendor's cards.

Sethos

Banned
I lol'd !

I was actually wondering if it's really vendor exclusive bullshit or if it's just has to do with specific Nvidia / AMD technology that allow effects not (yet) compatible with the other vendor's cards.

Well, TXAA, HBAO+ and PhysX particles / clothing is Nvidia exclusive.

CTLance

Elite: Dangerous, Limit Theory, X: Rebirth, Space Rangers HD, I got my space ship itch satisfied for a while I think till Star Citizen.
Yeah, same he- Wait, Space Rangers HD? ... Awesome! I didn't know! Time to go textadventure my way out of a prison - IN HD.

>train roach

Let me reiterate how useless it is for this game to use some sort of propietary Nvidia Bokeh DOF: the Cryengine Default DX11 very high bokeh is most likely much better/runs better and meshes directly with their motion blur pipeline. Why on earth would they want to plug in something else is beyond my comprehension.

Let me reiterate how useless it is for this game to use some sort of propietary Nvidia Bokeh DOF: the Cryengine Default DX11 very high bokeh is most likely much better/runs better and meshes directly with their motion blur pipeline. Why on earth would they want to plug in something else is beyond my comprehension.

I'm sure it'll be optional. Both AMD and Nvidia seem to have realized that this game is something special for PC gaming so they're both trying to get onboard as much as they can. I doubt CR will disadvantage any of his customers because of vendor specific stuff.

I'm sure it'll be optional. Both AMD and Nvidia seem to have realized that this game is something special for PC gaming so they're both trying to get onboard as much as they can. I doubt CR will disadvantage any of his customers because of vendor specific stuff.

I forget exactly what the SC stuff for AMD was. 4k support with that sound engine stuff? I forget!

CTLance

Well, I have no problems with Nvidia exclusive features as long as my bald space guy also has TressFX hair. ;)

That said, if the damn game boots to any vendor-specific blurb I am seriously gonna flip my shit. I really hope I will not have to watch a C/GPU manufacturer ad every time I start SC. That stuff seriously annoys me, regardless of which team I root for. In a perfect world there would be no middleware "ads" either, but sadly that's unrealistic.

Daedardus

I love how the new stretch goal is one that allows more new people to pledge.

No real complaint, as it is something I'd have done myself, but it's always nice to see how the world ticks.

Mindlog

Music from my country fuck yeah!
It's a pretty great orchestra. Nice choice by CIG to go with them.

With that in mind... Let's get ready to spend more money!
A News Flash Alert from Lord Segan, your local Warlord:

10:30 PST: Hornet update from WingMan: "Soon" but "don't be hitting F5 to refresh"

10:55 PST: Ben Lesnick: The Hornet is on the way.

10:56 PST: "Ben Lesnick: We're mixing sound on the updated commercial, rendering graphics for the updated brochure... it's all happening now and we hope to have something to show you really soon."
Ben Lesnick: There will be one variant that's available for a week, two that are permanent additions.
Ben Lesnick: No 24-hour sales.
I don't own a Hornet, but if one of the variants strike my fancy then goodbye Freelancer. After playing Darkstar One I really doubt I want to do much other than blow stuff up. An M50 and Hornet combo doesn't sound as ludicrous as it once did. This is all a lie because I would likely keep the Freelancer.

Daedardus

Luckily TressFX isn't AMD exclusive :p

You don't need TressFX for bald space marines.

I don't own a Hornet, but if one of the variants strike my fancy then goodbye Freelancer. After playing Darkstar One I really doubt I want to do much other than blow stuff up. An M50 and Hornet combo doesn't sound as ludicrous as it once did. This is all a lie because I would likely keep the Freelancer.

I must keep my wallet closed. But once the dogfighting hits I'll probably cave in.

CTLance

Can you blame them after all the great stuff he did? I mean, a Greycat with tracks! Guy's a genius.

(Also this. I want a 'stella, but I have decided to get that with ingame money. Everything else is fair game, but this one ship needs to be my lone carrot so I can endure the PVP spankings I'll inevitably receive.
...look at it. It's monstrous. Dwarfs my itty bitty Freelancer that is already quite a big hunk of virtual metal.)

Top Bottom