• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

almost a given were hitting 24 million tomorrow if they release the hornet stuff early enough, so I might just have to melt my 300i and Lancer for one of these

Daedardus

Have to say I'm impressed. They managed to change that tin-can-with-wings into a real bad-ass military fighter. They still need AA though.

Yeah I remember stumbling across the Project Rho website a while back and being absolutely horrified by the sheer implausibility of virtually any form of space-based warfare or interstellar (and even intrasystem) travel in any reasonable timeframe. I like hard scifi as much as the next guy but it's of limited use if you want space combat that doesn't involve trying to fly a cross between a space shuttle and a jet fighter while simultaneously trying to kill an enemy who is also trying to kill you, managing your systems so you don't overheat and die horribly and advanced orbital mechanics. Physics is just a big killjoy sometimes!

The problem with hard scifi is that they try they explain why it isn't possible with the physics we know today. It's rather obvious that if we will ever visit outer space it is because we found a new model for our physics. Most of the things they argue about are based on Newton's laws, and Newtons's laws are already proved false twice. Once for heavy mass, high speed objects and once for near zero mass objects. And even those two don't match together. There must be something else out there. And just like the discovery of electromagnetism eventually led into to development of the computer, so can the discovery of a strange energy source lead into the space age.

Keasar

NewHornet_screen48.jpg
As a backer who got the Hornet:

Oooooooh.

JoseJX

Mhhh how much would that baby be?

I believe that's the base model at $110 as a stand alone. I would expect that with the variant reveal tomorrow, we'll see a package at $125 or so with the game, much like the new Avenger package.

Also, if anyone needs an LTI conversion, send me a PM, I'd be happy to help for free.

Daedardus

I blew all my money on a skiing trip next February. No Avenger for me I guess :-( .

Ah well, guess I'll be the only gaffer who will actually earn his ships.

CTLance

I just came home and ... why is my wallet bursting into flames and running away from me?

Trailer looks neat, but I prefer the more "civvie ad" atmosphere of the other trailers. That long pause between the narrator sequences is bad for an ad. The battle sequence needs to be tightened down a bit so it can be more flashy.

That said, OMFGDJCTNWVWRSOQNDLDTENAK,X,!!!!!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
These ships look cool, but part of me wants to start the game with the noob ship just because. So I'm sitting on my Aurora for now.

Part of me knows that the starter ship always sucks and has a horrible grind to the ship that I want, though. :( At least, that's totally how it was in Wing Commander Privateer.

That 4K commercial was so pretty (best part is... the game will look like that minus all the fancy camera angles). Plus the audio was freaking fantastic.

I can scarcely wait till I am playing this game,

I don't know man, it feels like we should be making a new thread every other day, between all the announcements, ship variants, millions raised ... I'm happy with this being the official one.

What if we did a "Star Citizen News and Updates" thread and have the OP be updated daily with links, etc. The thing about this topic is that the name makes it sound like its ony about the Pre-Alpha/Early access stuff (which it is, but there is a lot more). We could have links to the seperate threads for alpha/beta/etc. Or something.....

Vlodril

Great video. Loved the parts flying of the 300i. Still staying with my aurora because otherwise it would be pointless to play the online part.

CTLance

^^ Rommel, you be crazy. I like you. Let's be broke best virtual spaceship friends.

In other news:

Oh god.

Why.

Why would they do this to me.

This is evil.
Weekendwarrior LTI pack said:
This package includes a Model II Arclight sidearm, the signature weapon of Vid-Star Kyle Fenris, not otherwise available in the Voyager Direct shop.
I don't know who Fenris is or why I feel so strongly about it, but I want that sidearm. WANNNNNNT.

Zabojnik

What if we did a "Star Citizen News and Updates" thread and have the OP be updated daily with links, etc. The thing about this topic is that the name makes it sound like its ony about the Pre-Alpha/Early access stuff (which it is, but there is a lot more). We could have links to the seperate threads for alpha/beta/etc. Or something.....

Or we could just make this the 'News and Updates / Pre-Alpha" thread and be done with it. :p

Rommel

^^ Rommel, you be crazy. I like you. Let's be broke best virtual spaceship friends.

Yah I'm a lil crazy lol...

Current fleet status:

Idris M
Gladiator x3
Retaliator x4
Super Hornet x3
Ghost
Tracker
Vanduul Scythe
Caterpillar x2
Cutlass
Constelation
Starfarer
Aurora LN x 3

Current fleet status:

Idris M
Gladiator x3
Retaliator x4
Super Hornet x3
Ghost
Tracker
Vanduul Scythe
Caterpillar x2
Cutlass
Constelation
Starfarer
Aurora LN x 3

Good god, man. That is quite a fleet!

I'm not really much interested in all-out fighting, so I'm happy sticking with just having a 315p ship to start the game with, and moving up from there. That black stealth Hornet is pretty beastly though.

Current fleet status:

Idris M
Gladiator x3
Retaliator x4
Super Hornet x3
Ghost
Tracker
Vanduul Scythe
Caterpillar x2
Cutlass
Constelation
Starfarer
Aurora LN x 3

I hope with that fleet you have a beast rig to run this game and enjoy those wonderful ships :D

Grief.exe

Current fleet status:

Idris M
Gladiator x3
Retaliator x4
Super Hornet x3
Ghost
Tracker
Vanduul Scythe
Caterpillar x2
Cutlass
Constelation
Starfarer
Aurora LN x 3

Maybe I'm overstepping here, but wouldn't it be better to give some of those ships out to people who don't have the disposable income that you do?

I just don't see how collecting all those ships would benefit you in any way. Unless you can have NPCs flying them all simultaneously, in the same vein of the X series.

You could make some poor GAFFers quite happy. Even start a thread for a giveaway, could be huge.

I'm looking to build one first quarter next year after the NVidia 800 series is released. My 680 will have to hold out until then.

Your 680 will be more than fine once optimization passes start kicking in.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I've tried to read the wikipedia site and official site, but why are people willing to put so much money into this game?

I love space operas and space games (privateer and independence war are 2 of my fav all time games), but it seems very expensive for like 1 ship? You have to purchase additional ships?

Mudcrab

Dat Ghost and Tracker doe. Two of my favorite aspects from EVE was stealth and ECM warfare. Might smelt my 300i for this...

Mudcrab

I've tried to read the wikipedia site and official site, but why are people willing to put so much money into this game?

I love space operas and space games (privateer and independence war are 2 of my fav all time games), but it seems very expensive for like 1 ship? You have to purchase additional ships?

The packages are pledges for support of the game's development. All of these ships are available for in-game money. Think something along the lines of an NPR fundraiser. You give them a $200 pledge for tickets to a live show or a USB drive with This American Life on it but that's all a bonus. The loot is not the reason you're giving them money.

Rommel

Maybe I'm overstepping here, but wouldn't it be better to give some of those ships out to people who don't have the disposable income that you do?

I just don't see how collecting all those ships would benefit you in any way. Unless you can have NPCs flying them all simultaneously, in the same vein of the X series.

You could make some poor GAFFers quite happy. Even start a thread for a giveaway, could be huge.

I'd be down for doing an Aurora LN Package giveaway, I got those for friends just in case, but turns out they are finally buying in with the Hornet release so they are spare now.

Grief.exe

I'd be down for doing an Aurora LN Package giveaway, I got those for friends just in case, but turns out they are finally buying in with the Hornet release so they are spare now.

Just make a thread and do a huge giveaway, throw in a couple of the more expensive ships that you have extras in.

Will be a massive hit on GAF and huge for the community, will get more people interested in the game.

Rommel

Just make a thread and do a huge giveaway, throw in a couple of the more expensive ships that you have extras in.

Will be a massive hit on GAF and huge for the community, will get more people interested in the game.

It will have to wait until I become a member then, guess I should lurk less and post more! Not sure about the most expensive ones, but I'd be ok with doing a Pirate Pack (Cutlass) and two of the Next Generation Aurora Packages (LN). Each one includes alpha and beta access.

Zabojnik

Read the OP. Some nice info in there. People are putting so much money because they can afford it, I guess. Most people are more than happy with the basic package (40$), which gets you the full game, alpha+beta access and a starting ship.

Grief.exe

It will have to wait until I become a member then, guess I should lurk less and post more! Not sure about the most expensive ones, but I'd be ok with doing a Pirate Pack (Cutlass) and two of the Next Generation Aurora Packages (LN). Each one includes alpha and beta access.

About 30 posts to go.

Top Bottom