• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Guess I'm in

http://i.imgur.com/EFHQZSf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice... the 'Stella would be my Big Ship of choice as well, but I'm going to stick with my 315p and work my way up in the game.

I'm hoping by that time that there'll be a few more exploration-focused ships that have a decent amount of room to walk around in but don't require a private army to fly and keep defended.

Nice... the 'Stella would be my Big Ship of choice as well, but I'm going to stick with my 315p and work my way up in the game.

I'm hoping by that time that there'll be a few more exploration-focused ships that have a decent amount of room to walk around in but don't require a private army to fly and keep defended.

We will be able to hire AI companions to man the turrets and stuff, right?

samjaza

I decided to get the legionnaire so I melted down the cutlass and go an avenger and the LN. now i have $5 of credit im not sure what to do with.

I cant wait to see what the M50 looks like though.

Sethos

Banned
She's a beaut'

UQgvnah.png

IQOEz8v.png

Sethos

Banned
My bad. Used FastStone to batch convert but didn't have any compression enabled. That meant the output was huge which Imgur converted to a lossy JPEG. Awful.

Should be higher quality and much smaller.

Also need to figure out how to add some serious AA. Only running a downsampled resolution, still some rough edges.

My bad. Used FastStone to batch convert but didn't have any compression enabled. That meant the output was huge which Imgur converted to a lossy JPEG. Awful.

Should be higher quality and much smaller.

Also need to figure out how to add some serious AA. Only running a downsampled resolution, still some rough edges.

the-hangar-supports-anti-aliasing

Not officially supported yet, so it can be a little strange with some lights. BUt that will give you some crisp edges alliright.

Dat IQ. Hitcher am Cry. More, Sethos. We need more shots of this quality.

Why Zabo? Is this because I called Giovinco shit?

I think something might be up with my resolution settings. Star Citizen doesn't look as clean as Wipeout HD even running AA, and Battlefield 4 on Ultra didn't look all that spectacular either.

I'm using a GTX 670 and a 1080p TV, so the shots should surely look better than the ones I posted earlier right?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Quag is out for 20 days and I blame this thread.

I have no ship so I'll hitchhike across the galaxy with you Hitcher <3

Zabojnik

Rommel

Just a heads up, I'll offer this service to NeoGAF members since I already do it for my guild.

If you want LTI on any package I'm willing to get it for you. All you do is gift me the package and then I turn around and melt it down and repurchase with LTI and send back to you right away.

If anyone wants this just PM me. I do this at cost, so no extra charge. If you want to just have me purchase it directly you can paypal (gift to avoid fees) the money and I'll purchase it and send the package to you.

I've probably done this 25 times or so already.

My username is the same here as in Star Citizen if you need to look me up =)

Zabojnik

Eric "Wingman" Peterson said:
Not to give too much away but questions and videos submitted about SQUADRON 42 have a much higher chance of making this week's Wingman's Hangar episode!

Noice. S42 is why I pledged in the first place. Glad to see we'll get some info on Friday.

Zabojnik

Is the plan to still have that dog fighting module out before end of 2013? Any clue what to expect out of that?

Yup, that's the plan. I expect to see it delayed by a month or two, but it's more of a gut feeling than anything. We should be able to fly a select number of ships, likely just in one star system or dedicated sector, buy and test weapons, help them balance the ships.

Grief.exe

If it gets delayed by a month or two, the idiots on the internet will probably explode, but I wouldn't blame them.

Setting up the infrastructure for something of that nature is bound to be difficult.

MrBig

Overdesigned = putting more effort into something than is required for normal gameplay. In this case all the screws, the texture work and that tiny little screen. It looks cool, but some could consider it a waste of effort.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the buttons and the screen were actually used, especially considering their objective of not having a screenspace UI. Remember the game is a bit on the sim side, they could have ships and and such that just look cool but they actually take the effort to make them practically work, so for consistency there's no reason the same care should not be given to weapons.

Daedardus

I wouldn't be surprised if all the buttons and the screen were actually used, especially considering their objective of not having a screenspace UI. Remember the game is a bit on the sim side, they could have ships and and such that just look cool but they actually take the effort to make them practically work, so for consistency there's no reason the same care should not be given to weapons.

Yeah, but see that is the very definition of overdesign. They could have gone with a normal UI and it would work just as fine. It's a gun, you only need it for point and shoot, and forget.

I'm not saying this is bad though. I actually quite like it. It's more of an observation than a complaint. Although I hope they don't do it to all their models, it's a great way to blow through your budget inefficiently.

MrBig

Yeah, but see that is the very definition of overdesign.

This is where the earlier confusion is from, overdesign has a negative connotation to mean that too much has been thrown in to the pot, that the practicality or the objective of something has been lost for something more convoluted.

A lack of a traditional UI and to push other things they want rather than traditonal/contemporary designs, to take a pragmatic and realistic approach to design is what they've been going for since the beginning.

Syrionus

Neo Member
So, why is everyone getting all googlyeyed over the Hangar? How is this even considered a game at this point? I guess if you don't like combat, then I can understand the why...but...

So, why is everyone getting all googlyeyed over the Hangar? How is this even considered a game at this point? I guess if you don't like combat, then I can understand the why...but...

Some of us have been waiting a year. Nice to get hands on something when the game won't be out for a while.

I don't think anyone's sitting around at work thinking "oh man, time to get home and play me up some of that Star Citizen game!!~," but for people who're excited by the game's potential, it's pretty cool to actually be able to see some of our ships so early!

I think some people appreciate the attention to detail this game offers as a sim. The hangar is a provisorial place to experience that befor ethe game comes out.

Also, the community is very much so tied in with the game development: which , imo, is wonderful.

phoenixyz

Overdesigned = putting more effort into something than is required for normal gameplay. In this case all the screws, the texture work and that tiny little screen. It looks cool, but some could consider it a waste of effort.
A lack of a traditional UI and to push other things they want rather than traditonal/contemporary designs, to take a pragmatic and realistic approach to design is what they've been going for since the beginning.
Yes, they want to do an immersive space sim with high-end-tech. I don't see how very detailed models, textures and the like can be considered overdesigned taking into account what CIG is aiming at. By that logic you could also say "Why aren't they just releasing on PS3, PS4, WiiU, Xbox360, Xbox One and PC, the graphics aren't really important anyway.".

Perkel

Banned

But those screws and texture work is point of Star Citizen.

They didn't want to create just next space sim game. They wanted to create game that will be amazing space sim game and deliver first and foremost immersion.

If you look original Kickstarter video you will see how Chris said that immersion are those screws and things that normally aren't considered crucial. This is why movies spaceships are so believable. Because they are packed with ton of detail. They have usually space for people to live.

We are talking about game where you can be at bar go to your spaceship fly away dock at constelattion go to meeting room talk go to hangar and set course on next star. All of that represented as you as player actually doing that stuff instead of taking quest from UI leaving planet via button, reaching constelation via button on map meeting commander in UI and then you click to start mission.

Naturally they will probably introduce some shortcuts where they can but crux of game will be like that. Immersion is everything.

Irobot82

How are you getting screenshots? I cannot get any overlay to work. Not afterburner nor Radeon Pro? I'd like to know what my FPS is in the hangar. Any help?

Irobot82

Sounds like FRAPS would be exactly what you need (www.fraps.com I believe; at work so can't check).

Grrr. I don't want yet another overlay. I stopped using FRAPS I think b/c of ENB with Skyrim. Which I have to turn off MSI Afterburner anyhow.

Why can't I just have one program to rule them all lol. Doesn't FRAPS require you to buy them to get to use PNG's for screenshots?

Shamelessly stolen from the Nvidia thread:

i3qq.jpg

That... is nice.

Not sure why starcitizen needs HBAO+ hough then SSDO in all honesty perhaps could offer better quality.
Also, CryEngine has THE BEST real time Depth of Field. What on earth does Nvidia have to do with that?

Irobot82

That... is nice.

Not sure why starcitizen needs HBAO+ hough then SSDO in all honesty perhaps could offer better quality.
Also, CryEngine has THE BEST real time Depth of Field. What on earth does Nvidia have to do with that?

PhysX :-(

Bummer, why can't they just use a general physics engine.

Daedardus

This is where the earlier confusion is from, overdesign has a negative connotation to mean that too much has been thrown in to the pot, that the practicality or the objective of something has been lost for something more convoluted.

I use overdesign in its neutral connotation, the one more close to an engineering approach. You do both research and design, and once you've found what you need through research, you spent a lot more for design than is actually required for the thing you made to function. This is not a bad thing per se, because it can be more practical in use, look nicer,... but it is something the costumer didn't necessarily ask for. It do costs a lot more money though, and the biggest feats of engeering have been those who managed to be cost efficient. In case of games and art, your product may improve greatly from it, but you have to be careful not to burn through your money. More specific to Star Citizen is that ships are a crucial part of the game, and deserve any extra care put into them. But do we really need to have a gun that costs $10,000 to model, especially seeing as this isn't the only gun in the game?

Yes, they want to do an immersive space sim with high-end-tech. I don't see how very detailed models, textures and the like can be considered overdesigned taking into account what CIG is aiming at. By that logic you could also say "Why aren't they just releasing on PS3, PS4, WiiU, Xbox360, Xbox One and PC, the graphics aren't really important anyway.".

But those screws and texture work is point of Star Citizen.

They didn't want to create just next space sim game. They wanted to create game that will be amazing space sim game and deliver first and foremost immersion.

I think you both misinterpreted what I was saying. I was merely stating something I observed. Nowhere did I say what they are doing is a bad thing or that I don't understand why they are doing it.

KKRT00

That... is nice.

Yep, big thing about SSDO is that it applies light source color information into the shadow, which make huge quality difference.

Top Bottom