• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Zabojnik

I kind of regret buying the 300i. Looks a bit generic compared to the dingy-looking Aurora, which has personality and looks like a ship you would actually start with if you were a prospective space-farer

Melt it down, get the Hornet or Avenger package. :p It's what I did, 300i for the Avenger, though I plan to buy it back in the near future.

I have the 5,000 credits for downloading the Hangar Module, but not the 2,000 for buying the DBH pack. Will get those when the game launches, since it say 'starting credits'?

Correct. They don't want you to bankrupt yourself before the game is out.
That's their job after all.

Is the Digital Star Map the same as the Game Universe Map?

It should be, yeah.

What do the skins look like btw?

They're just different paint jobs, I reckon.

Melt it down, get the Hornet or Avenger package. :p It's what I did, 300i for the Avenger, though I plan to buy it back in the near future.

What did you spend the credits on (if you spent them)

Seems that the ships can only be bought with real money :(

What happens when you Exhange for Store Credit? Does it delete the entire pack, or just the ship. And how many credits do you get?

So many quetions

Zabojnik

What did you spend the credits on (if you spent them)

Seems that the ships can only be bought with real money :(

What happens when you Exhange for Store Credit? Does it delete the entire pack, or just the ship. And how many credits do you get?

So many quetions

The ship that comes with the package is tied to it, so you lose the whole package. If you melt down any additional ships you've bought, you only lose the ship. You get back however much you've spent, there are no hidden fees or whatever. Melting down is risk free. At least for new backers like yourself. If I were to melt down my Hornet, which is tied to my package, I'd lose the original backer status. :)

If I were to melt down my Hornet, which is tied to my package, I'd lose the original backer status. :)

This is what terrifies me. I'm almost certain I'll want to pick up a Hornet upgrade, but don't want anything to jeopardize my original status by melting my Digital Colonel pack. Hopefully everything's available as an upgrade (if they put the F7A up as a non-upgrade option during the sale ala the 350r, I'm going to freak out.)

MrBig

This is what terrifies me. I'm almost certain I'll want to pick up a Hornet upgrade, but don't want anything to jeopardize my original status by melting my Digital Colonel pack. Hopefully everything's available as an upgrade (if they put the F7A up as a non-upgrade option during the sale ala the 350r, I'm going to freak out.)

You shouldn't lose your status or anything unless you get a refund; transfer a package to store credit and everything still stays in their system.

Zabojnik

You shouldn't lose your status or anything unless you get a refund; transfer a package to store credit and everything still stays in their system.

Ah, that's good then. Not that I have any intention of melting my Horndog.
Terrible nickname, I know.

I'm really liking this Aurora design, I just pop into the Hangar Module every week or so just to check it out. The doors opening animation is just awesome.

Goddamn, the Constellation is beautiful :O

If I was a multimillionnaire...

image.png

I'm bringing memes back, since everyone loves them so much

Mindlog

There are now less than 10k Alpha Slots left. I will no longer melt my own package to flip for others. I've melted my own package ~30 times :]

Also instead of buying a Retaliator (I know I hate bombing) I ended up gifting several more packages. Now I don't feel like buying more ships! Finally.

That will change with the Battlelancer and F7C - Wild Weasel.
I remember somebody here in the community bought the idris corvette and I demand to be his friend!
IIRC there are actually three Idrii owners with GAF accounts.

1cmanny1

This is correct. I melted down the Aurora package to get the LN, I still have the original and veteran reward.

If I were to melt down my Hornet, which is tied to my package, I'd lose the original backer status. :)

This is what terrifies me. I'm almost certain I'll want to pick up a Hornet upgrade, but don't want anything to jeopardize my original status by melting my Digital Colonel pack.

Your backer status is tied to your account and not which package you bought or when. You can melt literally everything possible in your hangar right now and you'll still retain your original backer status.

How does this melting down work? I see an option to transfer the package to store credit,but even if I do that, I don't see an option to buy things like ships and maps for that credit, only real money. Also, would I lose my beta and full game access ifI did it without then buying a package with that access?

Echo Six

Neo Member
Hot damn! Some fan made an entire soundtrack with others in a musical colab album.

Here's the entire album: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...o-quality-download-now-now-with-more-music/p1

And here's the Hangar Extension bundle: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...r-music-extension-bundles-listen-download-now

I mean, just listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/caden-l-welborn/star-citizen-aus-old-glory

This is really good stuff. What ME2 and ME3 soundtrack should have sounded like.

Wait they released more music? Intomyveins.mp3

Nokterian

Hot damn! Some fan made an entire soundtrack with others in a musical colab album.

Here's the entire album: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...o-quality-download-now-now-with-more-music/p1

And here's the Hangar Extension bundle: https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...r-music-extension-bundles-listen-download-now

I mean, just listen to this: https://soundcloud.com/caden-l-welborn/star-citizen-aus-old-glory

This is really good stuff. What ME2 and ME3 soundtrack should have sounded like.

Sweet jezus for a Unofficial soundtrack it's amazing. Yeah your totally right though with that point on ME2 and 3. Hopefully Chris will see and hear this some quality work put in there.

Zabojnik

How does this melting down work? I see an option to transfer the package to store credit,but even if I do that, I don't see an option to buy things like ships and maps for that credit, only real money. Also, would I lose my beta and full game access ifI did it without then buying a package with that access?

The option's there. I don't remember where exactly, but it should be on the screen where you select the payment method. There should be an 'use credit' option or something like that next to Paypal and credit card.

Well, yeah, if you melt down your package with beta access, beta access is no more. Be sure no to play with melting packages once the alpha/beta slots are depleted.

The option's there. I don't remember where exactly, but it should be on the screen where you select the payment method. There should be an 'use credit' option or something like that next to Paypal and credit card.

Well, yeah, if you melt down your package with beta access, beta access is no more. Be sure no to play with melting packages once the alpha/beta slots are depleted.

I'll just keep the 300i since the rest of the package is perfect for me :)

Gonna try out the AA later, see if I can clean up those edges. Might start a Kickstarter to get a group of people to buy me a Constellation :p

Any ideas when we;ll start to be able to play around with Organisations, view eachother's profiles etc? Also, are there any livery or personalisation options for the ships/player characters beyond weapons and clothes?

Zabojnik

Any ideas when we;ll start to be able to play around with Organisations, view eachother's profiles etc? Also, are there any livery or personalisation options for the ships/player characters beyond weapons and clothes?

No ETA on organizations yet. Judging by the presentation at Citizen Con they're going balls deep with this stuff, so it'll probably be a while. Link.

As for the customization options ... Much of it is still unknown / undecided. I reckon there'll eventually be a ton of options for ship customization beyond weapons / ship parts, down to bubbleheads and other decorations for your cockpit. Leather seats, as seen in the latest Aurora commercial, etc. The real avatar in the game is supposed to be your ship, so, yeah. The hangar is already getting some love and there's a lot more stuff planned. As for player customization ... appearance, clothes, weapons ... what more is there? :p

KKRT00

Thats pretty amazing for a fan stuff.

No ETA on organizations yet. Judging by the presentation at Citizen Con they're going balls deep with this stuff, so it'll probably be a while. Link.

As for the customization options ... Much of it is still unknown / undecided. I reckon there'll eventually be a ton of options for ship customization beyond weapons / ship parts, down to bubbleheads and other decorations for your cockpit. Leather seats, as seen in the latest Aurora commercial, etc. The real avatar in the game is supposed to be your ship, so, yeah. The hangar is already getting some love and there's a lot more stuff planned. As for player customization ... appearance, clothes, weapons ... what more is there? :p

So I won't have to play as Agent 47 in the full game? Awesome!

:p

Minor thing, will there be any ships/hangars for Vertical TakeOff and Landing?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions btw :p

Zabojnik

Minor thing, will there be any ships/hangars for Vertical TakeOff and Landing?

Thanks for answering my stupid questions btw :p

I wouldn't think so, although there may be other hangar variants coming down the road, starting with the asteroid / pirate hangar. I think all SC ships are VTOL capable, so it would only be a matter of placing the hangar doors on the ceiling. :D

My pleasure. :)

I wouldn't think so, although there may be other hangar variants coming down the road, starting with the asteroid / pirate hangar. And aren't all SC ships VTOL capable already?

My pleasure. :)

Not sure, I assumed that the landing gears implied that they were like traditional planes, never considered that they could do both. Guess it would be a simple case of changing the angle of the thrusters to turn them into VTOLs. Does the Aurora have fold-out wings?

Wouldn't mind the organisation stuff being basically a streamlined, simplified and more gameplay-oriented version of EVE.

Wonder if there'll be post-full game donations to pay in advance for additional content. As great as $23m (obviously it'll be far more by the time) is, judging from major publishers' numbers, it doesn't seem to go all that far, and with the amount that Star Citizen is setting out to do, they could easily blow through that before realising their goals

Zabojnik

Not sure, I assumed that the landing gears implied that they were like traditional planes, never considered that they could do both. Guess it would be a simple case of changing the angle of the thrusters to turn them into VTOLs. Does the Aurora have fold-out wings?

Engaging all the downward facing maneuvering thrusters should be enough for lift-off. I think the Avenger is the only ship with actual landing gears and that's probably because it's supposed to be a much older ship. Which is also why it looks more like a futuristic fighter jet than an actual space ship. The cockpit is kinda old fashioned too. The other ships have landing struts. The Aurora doesn't have fold-out wings.

scavengerthruster2.png

scavengerthruster3.png

scavengercockpit.png

Wonder if there'll be post-full game donations to pay in advance for additional content. As great as $23m (obviously it'll be far more by the time) is, judging from major publishers' numbers, it doesn't seem to go all that far, and with the amount that Star Citizen is setting out to do, they could easily blow through that before realising their goals

Yeah, that's pretty much a given. There's no way this thing's only going to cost 23M$.

Daedardus

I'm leaning towards buying an Avenger, but I still have some questions. What exactly is a 'bounty hunter' ship? Can the stock model fly long distances at a decent speed? As of now it comes with a TR5 engine, but the ship's hull also weighs much more than a 300i. And what are the effects on roleplaying? Isn't this ship for people allied with the UEE? I'm more of a solitary person.

And also, is it even worth buying? I thought this was the ship you got in Squadron 42, so you'll probably have spent enough time flying in this thing and I guess I want something else when I play the multiplayer.

Zabojnik

I'm leaning towards buying an Avenger, but I still have some questions. What exactly is a 'bounty hunter' ship? Can the stock model fly long distances at a decent speed? As of now it comes with a TR5 engine, but the ship's hull also weighs much more than a 300i. And what are the effects on roleplaying? Isn't this ship for people allied with the UEE? I'm more of a solitary person.

And also, is it even worth buying? I thought this was the ship you got in Squadron 42, so you'll probably have spent enough time flying in this thing and I guess I want something else when I play the multiplayer.

As I understand it, a 'bounty hunter' ship is kind of a hybrid between a dogfighter and a small cargo ship. You need it to be nimble enough so you can use it to chase and disable the ship of whomever you're after (likely a criminal or a pirate on the run) and have a big enough cargo hold for prisoner transport. The Avenger seems to fit the description. The stock model has a fuel tank under each wing, so yeah, it'll take you far.

"The Aegis Avenger has had a long and storied life as the standard patrol craft of the UEE Advocacy. Although aging, the Avenger features a sturdy, reliable hull and the capacity for larger-than-expected engine mounts. It avoids more specialized weapons in favor of a single, center-line gun mount which makes it something of a marksman’s ship. Police Avengers support enhanced scanner suites in the service of their patrol duties and the civilianized models retain a higher amount of computer memory than similarly sized spacecraft.

The UEE Navy’s air arm continues to use Avengers (designated N6G) as their standard trainer spacecraft. Any pilot serving today likely spent at least 300 hours qualifying In an Avenger before moving on to their combat assignment. (We will use the Avenger for the training missions in Squadron 42; think T-6 Texan.)

As more coreward Advocacy offices begin the transition to the police variant of the M50 interceptor and used Avengers have flooded the market. Criminal elements have begun to adopt these Avengers for their own needs, finding that their larger-than-average cargo hold and engines make an ideal bootlegging spacecraft."

Is it worth buying? Of course not. No ship is, since you'll be able to earn them in the game. :p

Zabojnik

Eyeballing that Rear Admiral ... Must not, must not ...

sethoscr.png

Seriously though, if you're unsure, don't do it. If you want to support the game, which is what this should be all about, just get the basic 40$ package with the game and alfa/beta access.

Sethos

Banned
Seriously though, if you're unsure, don't do it. If you want to support the game, which is what this should be all about, just get the basic 40$ package with the game and alfa/beta access.

Of course I want to support the game, else I wouldn't even contemplate spending that kind of money. However it's still a solid investment no matter what game it is, so it's still a big step to take. I don't do half-arsed, when I want to support something I go big ( As I feel is in the realm of sanity ). So the Rear Admiral package looks tempting and the Constellation is the only craft in my price-range that looks somewhat appealing.

As I said, it's a big step to take and of course you consider and re-consider. Especially for a product that isn't even done yet.

Zabojnik

Of course I want to support the game, else I wouldn't even contemplate spending that kind of money. However it's still a solid investment no matter what game it is, so it's still a big step to take. I don't do half-arsed, when I want to support something I go big ( As I feel is in the realm of sanity ). So the Rear Admiral package looks tempting and the Constellation is the only craft in my price-range that looks somewhat appealing.

As I said, it's a big step to take and of course you consider and re-consider. Especially for a product that isn't even done yet.

Gotcha. I'm the same way - go big or go home - so I can relate. :)

Seems to be about as good as I can get until I either get 7zip working*, or figure out another way of forcing AA. Played around with the console graphics settings a bit, increased the FOV, decreased the bloom, increased the shadow detail, enforced sharpening. Not sure that the last two actually did anything, but still :p

Zabo's shots look so clean :(

*When I run it, a black console pops up for a second and disappears

Zabojnik

Seems to be about as good as I can get until I either get 7zip working*, or figure out another way of forcing AA. Played around with the console graphics settings a bit, increased the FOV, decreased the bloom, increased the shadow detail, enforced sharpening. Not sure that the last two actually did anything, but still :p

Zabo's shots look so clean :(

*When I run it, a black console pops up for a second and disappears

Somehow you've managed to make it look worse, loool. If that .pak is not too big, I'll send you the edited version with AA enabled tomorrow. My screenshots looking clean has a lot to do with it being the business hangar. Mercenar1e's Avenger shots are even better, he managed to get it running downsampled from 4K. Maybe he'll post some here.

This game sounds really promising. I hope it turns out just as amazing as it sounds, it's extremely ambitious, and I love that.

I've sort of been keeping up with it, and man, even as someone who most likely won't be getting this game and may never play it, it's got me excited. Can't wait to see the hordes of YT videos that'll go up when this game officially releases.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Man, I wish there was some way to downgrade our hangar. I'd really like to get the Avenger, but I don't want that ugly blue business hangar. It and my Aurora LN (got the upgrade Monday) look better in the dim lighting of my discount hangar. The business hanger just seems so sterile.

Deluxe hanger is alright too, but I'd rather not pay $40 for that privilege. I'd rather just pick of a freelancer for that price instead of the Avenger and deal with the blue. If there's no word on hanger downgrades before the 26th of November, I might just cave anyway to have something nice to go dogfighting with, but I won't exactly like it.

Daedardus

Have You seen article about Marine modeling? Some very neat stuff and quite high fidelity, for such a game.

That game has a budget of 23 million and counting, as big as many AAA titles.

Still lingering on the Avenger. Ah well, I'll keep my wallet happy, Chris has enough money already.

KKRT00

That game has a budget of 23 million and counting, as big as many AAA titles.

Still lingering on the Avenger. Ah well, I'll keep my wallet happy, Chris has enough money already.

Its not about budget, its about the scope. Fighting on planets will probably allow for at least 64 players and this fidelity is insane for such battles, but hey, its 2015 PC exclusive game, they probably can get away with this.

Daedardus

Its not about budget, its about the scope. Fighting on planets will probably allow for at least 64 players and this fidelity is insane for such battles, but hey, its 2015 PC exclusive game, they probably can get away with this.

They have overdesigned ships already, they need to have overdesigned guns to go with those too.

Zabojnik

Have You seen article about Marine modeling? Some very neat stuff and quite high fidelity, for such a game.

Jump Point subscriber here. The 'making of the buggy' feature from a few issues back was a fantastic read. Hopefully they'll share it with you peasants down the road. <3

KKRT00

Jump Point subscriber here. The 'making of the buggy' feature from a few issues back was a fantastic read. Hopefully they'll share it with you peasants down the road. <3

What do You need for Jump Point subscriber? I havent been interested in that ;p

---
Oh i see, monthly subscription.

Can You at least tell if there is polycount count for buggy?

epmode

Eh, they did the same thing for a lot of ships in the original Star Wars trilogy. I love me some pointless, tacked on spaceship garbage.

Zabojnik

Can you at least tell if there is polycount count for buggy?

I don't remember it being mentioned, but there were a ton of pictures of the high-res buggy model + in-depth commentary from the author. Great stuff. The funny thing is Jump Point was supposed to be like a 6-8 page fanzine. It's now 50+ pages every month.

Guess I'm in

:O

Congrats! Hope you'll invite me to steal check out this beatuy once inviting friends to your hangar is added.

Top Bottom