• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

That HUD display power-on.....

i33k4R2XxVXEL.gif

That's mostly my position. I pledged 35$ but I wont go any further mostly because it could be a catastrophic adventure.

what you never payed $60 dollars for a game that only turned out to be average and you never touched again? step up your pledge game bro

Faith

That's mostly my position. I pledged 35$ but I wont go any further mostly because it could be a catastrophic adventure.
I bought around 20 games for 60$ in my life that ended to be garbage.

I spent 125$ for Star Citizen and even if the actual game would be a disappointment (the chances are rly low)...I was part of the biggest crowdfunding project ever.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It will be very difficult for this game to be bad. It is highly funded, has a great project director and has over 100k alpha and beta testers.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sounds like the dogfighting module will be delayed into next year. Instead we'll get a couple of hangar module patches that add the firing range, the full-size Cutlass model and "other surprises."

Doesn't surprise me, considering they had to delay the hangar module's initial launch, too. I hope they can catch up to the original schedule.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Reading up on all the HUD stuff, jesus christ if they can do all the stuff they want.... This is gonna be the most awesomely cooperative MMO ever. I can picture myself with my headset on the bridge of a bigger ship yelling "WE NEED TO CUT OFF LIFE SUPPORT TO THE CABINS OR WE'LL ALL DIE" and sacrifice some of you guys for the greater good. Sorry.

Zabojnik

Next Great Starship

Final on June 8th in LA - fan winners can probably come. Probably <1000 capacity. CR is judging along with design team/industry/celebrities
111 teams have entered so far. 26 US, 18 UK, 14 German, 4 Australia, 4 Canada, 2 Spain, 2 Switzerland, 2 Austria, 2 Norway, 1 New Zealand, 1 Argentina, 1 China, 2 Russia, 1 Itality, 1 Greece, 14 unspecified, etc. [sorry if I missed something here, it was really fast]
There are teams from Disney, Paradigm, Ubisoft, Walmart, defense department, the army, IT departments, self-taught, design companies, etc.

Fuuuuck. This should be amazing.

Smiley90

There's teams from the DoD?!?!?!? Holy
Mother of rofl. DoD is outsourcing the testing of their own designs to Star Citizen's engine, I see. :p I hope they end up showing ALL the designs, not just the winner. Or at least the top50 or something.

MrBig

What is the price range of these ships ? I've heard people spending thousands ?

The game is $30. Donating more can get you different ships to start out with but it's not the sole object of paying nor will it be a method of acquiring ships when the game launches.

Reading up on all the HUD stuff, jesus christ if they can do all the stuff they want.... This is gonna be the most awesomely cooperative MMO ever. I can picture myself with my headset on the bridge of a bigger ship yelling "WE NEED TO CUT OFF LIFE SUPPORT TO THE CABINS OR WE'LL ALL DIE" and sacrifice some of you guys for the greater good. Sorry.

...time to avoid boarding the GAFship at all costs! I'll just fly cover in my hornet.

Smiley90

...time to avoid boarding the GAFship at all costs. I'll just fly cover in my hornet.

NHLGAF members get special treatment.

I don't even have a big ship :( "only" a freelancer and 325A. Someone needs to let me land in their capital ship... God I'm excited for capital ship designs.

Do we know if anything can land in the gladiator?

elyetis

I'm reading many great things, yet I would lie if I didn't say that the fact we are most likely not getting the dogfighting Module this year is a big disapointment which really stop me from completly enjoying all the other good news.

Enco

If it does turn out to be shit it has to be one of the biggest wastes of money in gaming history.

This should be interesting. Either we get an awesome new game or be part of gaming history for a terrible happening.

zugzug

Guys explain to me like I'm five what LTI means and why its important to why its ending today if I read correctly.

I heard you can unlock every single ship that people are paying for now is that still true?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Guys explain to me like I'm five what LTI means and why its important to why its ending today if I read correctly.

I heard you can unlock every single ship that people are paying for now is that still true?

Yes, you can get every ship in the game using in-game currency. Right now, people get ships as gifts for pledging to fund the game.

LTI means LifeTime Insurance. When you blow up in the game, you have to buy a whole new ship, unless you have an in-game insurance policy on it — then you'll get a new ship free of charge. You'll have to pay for this insurance with in-game currency, unless you pledged early enough to get LTI ... then you'll have free insurance forever on the ship you pledged for.

But they only gave original backers one year (which is up today) to pledge for ships with LTI. After this, pledged ships will only have like three months of free insurance or something like that.

Grief.exe

If it does turn out to be shit it has to be one of the biggest wastes of money in gaming history.

This should be interesting. Either we get an awesome new game or be part of gaming history for a terrible happening.

The Old Republic will always hold that crown, there will probably never be a game that will surpass the sheer amount of wasted investment. 30 million dollars isn't that much money in terms of AAA publishing.

I'm not arguing for the grossly inflated budgets of AAA gaming here, just pointing out their average budget is very high.

Yes, every single ship you can get in the game without spending more money outside of just getting the game.

Right now it's set up where you can pay more to start with "better" ships which saves you time, but it's main goal is to obviously help give extra funds for development. For example, the Constellation is estimated to take around 60 hours of game time to be able to afford it using in-game currency (which could of course change as they balance everything). Once the game is live, it won't be like how it is today where you will be able to just buy ships with money, as that's leaning too much into Pay To Win territory. Once launched, you will be able to buy in-game credits to buy ships, but they're going to have a cap on how many you can buy per month.

LTI stands for Lifetime Insurance

In the game, you will need to buy insurance for your ship so you can get another one if your ship gets destroyed (don't have insurance? say goodbye to your ship!). It should be a relatively small cost to buy insurance in the game which is why they're stressing LTI isn't a huge deal.

There are 3 types of insurance in the game:
- Hull
- Equipment
- Cargo

LTI for a ship will basically cover the Hull and base equipment that comes with the ship. You never need to pay extra to get a new ship back. However, if you upgrade the weapons on your ship, you will need to pay insurance on that equipment. Likewise, if you're carrying cargo to do trading, everybody will need to pay insurance if they want that cargo insured (else sucks to be you if somebody pirates your delicious looking Freelancer with tons of uninsured goods!).

Before anyone gets any bright ideas, CIG said that insurance fraud is punishable in the game, so you can't just have your buddy pirate/capture your LTI ship and then you get another one and he gets your ship.

*Edit* Also, just bought an Avenger. Saw the video of the Avenger with PBR and it looked so damn good. At first I thought the ship looked really dumb but it's grown on me. It has an amazing field of view in the cockpit too.

Super Hornet, Constellation, Avenger. I'm all set!

I don't even have a big ship :( "only" a freelancer and 325A. Someone needs to let me land in their capital ship

I think I'd read there might end up being a mod to the Starfarer to let a small ship dock.

If true, it'd be pretty awesome if they meant a singleseater that wasn't a snubfighter.

Other than that, I think we're limited unless we all save up for a GAF Idris ingame.

MrBig

yqVF06V.gif

XZnAUeB.gif

4gMaYpu.gif

Fluff to substance ratio seems to be looking really bad here. Hoping that's either toned down to be more utilitarian or customization is super robust, beyond just moving things around

d0g_bear

Fluff to substance ratio seems to be looking really bad here. Hoping that's either toned down to be more utilitarian or customization is super robust, beyond just moving things around

I share your concerns. They did emphasize customization - event to the point of moving things from the "actual" HUD to the flat panels in the cockpit.

MrBig

At the $32 million level, you’ve unlocked the Aegis Surveyor, a ship dedicated to salvage that also offers some emergent gameplay opportunities:

Aegis Surveyor – The Surveyor, from noted military contractor Aegis, is an industrial-quality salvage ship. Equipped with a reinforced cargo bay, a long-range jump drive and launch pods for unmanned drones, the Surveyor is an ideal ship for taking advantage of deep space wrecks. Tractor beams, floodlights, scanner options and docking ports round out the tool chest on this capable, utilitarian spacecraft.

The winner of the $34 million ship role poll, in a photo finish, is smuggling! There are two typical paths for smuggling ships: fast, armored ships adapted to run blockades and escape the authorities when necessary and totally innocuous ships that keep their cargo hidden from prying scanners. Several of our existing ships, including the Banu Merchantman, are well-equipped for the former job and so we’ve going for the latter.

MISC Hull C (Discreet) – Scaling from small “box trucks” to massive supertankers, the MISC range of cargo hulls (A-D) are the standard goods transporter in human space. Extremely configurable, MISC Hulls can be adapted for most any type of transport job: from standard bulk shipping on the patrolled spacelanes to armored cargo hauling on the frontier. While these pre-configured hulls are primarily used for legitimate purposes, the MISC Hull Cs have recently become the favorite for criminals who modify the ship with advanced sensor shadow technology, quick-decompress holds and a variety of hidden compartments without modifying the ship’s body so it will appear to onlookers as standard everyday transports.

Thank you for your incredible support; I hope you enjoyed the chance to interact with the team in today’s livestream. And don’t forget to vote: next up is the last phase of the fan ship role selection poll. By the process of elimination, you can expect to be choosing a new ship from Drake Interplanetary, maker of the Cutlass and Caterpillar. Choose wisely!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13398-Letter-From-The-Chairman-32-Million

Dead Man

Does anyone have a link to the updated Avenger info? I might be able to melt my 325 in time to help get a Banu.

yqVF06V.gif

XZnAUeB.gif

4gMaYpu.gif

Yeah, hopefully it is customisable.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Bloody awesome.

It probably has been said already, but I do miss the days when people used to just make games, and then sell them. I suppose I did used to dream of being a commissioning executive in a major games publisher, but now I'm older I just want to be told what to play.

Obviously though I'm in this thread because I loved Wing Commander and X-Wing and could see myself cashing in on the passion and hard work of this little community a few years down the line.

BrettWeir

I think I've been under a rock. Haven't heard about this game at all. Just checked this thread on a whim and holy hell in a hand basket. This looks damned amazing. Had to put a pledge package on my Xmas list. If I don't get it for Xmas, I'll break out the wallet!

All I can say is DAYUM!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Holy mother of Methuselah that was awesome! So is flying just one part of the whole Star Citizen experience, because if that's the case I'm NOT going to experience everything else the game has to offer.

It's the vast majority of it. You do have the capacity to try and board and capture other vessels, so some on foot combat is in the game, but it's more of a mini game then anything.

Top Bottom