• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

MrBig

It's the vast majority of it. You do have the capacity to try and board and capture other vessels, so some on foot combat is in the game, but it's more of a mini game then anything.

More than that, you can visit a fairly vast network of planets and stations, or be a passenger/crewman on a ship. You could probably play the game and have a fulfilling experience without ever flying/owning a ship.

Momentary

Banned
I'm eyeballing that Banu ship, but I don't want to put up with a HUD that isn't in the 'MURCA language. I really wish that had a picture of the Xi'An ship. It sounds like it could be cool, but I don't want to buy something that looks like a floating turd.

epmode

Edit: The target marker in the hud looks very over done, if you have several ships to manoeuvre around or obstacles it could be distracting as hell.

Yeah, I think I agree with this. They'll be tweaking the HUD based on dogfighting module impressions so at least it's not set in stone.

I'm eyeballing that Banu ship, but I don't want to put up with a HUD that isn't in the 'MURCA language. I really wish that had a picture of the Xi'An ship. It sounds like it could be cool, but I don't want to buy something that looks like a floating turd.

They said that HUDs would be in the alien language unless the ship is retrofitted for human use. The Banu and Xi'An ships are both special human-friendly models so you're good there. No idea if the Scythe will be in English or, um, Vanduul.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

They said the HUD language on alien ships built for export is fine. Captured / salvaged alien ships are where it goes all squiggly.

Edit: beaten

Rommel

With LTI finishing I have a final count on my ships. No more shuffling the deck like I have been for the past month lol

Final Tally:
Idris M
Banu Merchantman x2
Xi'An Scout x2
Freelancer
Cutlass
Starfarer x2
Hornet SWACS
Hornet GHOST
Super Hornet x2
Avenger
Gladiator
Retaliator x2
Aurora LN x2
Caterpillar
Constellation
Vanduul Fighter
350r

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
With LTI finishing I have a final count on my ships. No more shuffling the deck like I have been for the past month lol

Final Tally:
Idris M
Banu Merchantman x2
Xi'An Scout x2
Freelancer
Cutlass
Starfarer x2
Hornet SWACS
Hornet GHOST
Super Hornet x2
Avenger
Gladiator
Retaliator x2
Aurora LN x2
Caterpillar
Constellation
Vanduul Fighter
350r

jesus hot damn

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Final Tally:
Idris M
Banu Merchantman x2
Xi'An Scout x2
Freelancer
Cutlass
Starfarer x2
Hornet SWACS
Hornet GHOST
Super Hornet x2
Avenger
Gladiator
Retaliator x2
Aurora LN x2
Caterpillar
Constellation
Vanduul Fighter
350r

Jesus Christ...

Rudelord

A group of dudes I've been playing with for some time now have procured 2 Idris-Ps today, along with about 30+ misc ships (including 3 Super Hornets and 2 350Rs)

I personally couldn't resist the Avenger, and that sexy ass new model only made that decision to get it sweeter

Remmy2112

Final Tally:
Idris M
Banu Merchantman x2
Xi'An Scout x2
Freelancer
Cutlass
Starfarer x2
Hornet SWACS
Hornet GHOST
Super Hornet x2
Avenger
Gladiator
Retaliator x2
Aurora LN x2
Caterpillar
Constellation
Vanduul Fighter
350r

You're an international arms dealer and/or own a lot of car washes.

Momentary

Banned
Damn.. If I bought that many ships my wife would kick me in the nuts.

On another note... In the Banu Merchantman ship, Is that the bay door that's opened on the bottom, if that's the case then I'm going to plop $250 right now. I thought that was a permanent extension on the bottom, but if you look more closely at the picture you can see inside the under carriage leading me to thing that it's a bay door that's opened while it's hovering.

DTKT

The smart thing they did was to continuously appeal to their "core" userbase. The alpha pledges have barely gone down in proportion to the amount of money they have raised.

Momentary

Banned
I think they might clear 40 million before the end of the year. If they can get a more high res version of that HUD in action I'm sure they'll have plenty of people that just have a general interest in the genre (like myself) throwing money at this game. I have never seen a HUD like that in any game ever.

If we clear 33 million, I'll be happy with the overall progress. After that, there could not be a ship I might want. A dedicated miner, salvage and exploration ship is more than enough to diversify the game. As long as any other goal from now on additional ships, then there should be no problem for the game to ramp up production and ship stuff faster.

Momentary

Banned
There's not an IF. It'll clear it WELL before midnight PST. I'll put money on it clear 40 mil before the end of the year if they keep up with these new ships.

lordkosc

My weak list compared to some, but you know real world bills take precedence.

Aurora LN
Avenger
325a
Cutlass
Connie ( my OB pledge )

Now just to wait till 2015 (probably LATE 2015) for the full game.

dvize

Banned
That ui design is amazing. I was always impressed with how the huds and visual displays looked in iron man and now here he is for star citizen. I wish i had backed more during the kickstarter campaign because this game will be awesome.

I don't know who made the chart, but crowdfunding seems to give developers four times the money to put towards assets and gameplay so i can only imagine what they will be able to do with 33 million when its done.

My final list of ships:

-Freelancer
-Avenger
-Super Hornet

And I melted my Aurora/M50/Hornet Military hull upgrade to get a...

-Xi’An Scout

Paltry, but reasonable without going absolutely crazy.

MrBig

quoting one of these twice in one day...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13400-Letter-From-The-Chairman-33-Million

What a day! Some of you have been with us for over a year now, some of you are just discovering Star Citizen… I am grateful to all of you for what you’re making possible. As I said in the livestream, we’re in this for the long haul: Star Citizen isn’t going to be something you play and discard… we’re building a world you’re going to want to inhabit for years to come.

At $33 million, you unlocked the Anvil Carrack:

Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

Information Runner handily won the final ship role poll… so I am proud to introduce the latest in Drake Interplanetary’s lineup!

Drake Herald – Knowledge is power, and one of the most valuable commodities is pure information: the 1s and 0s behind everything from UEC ledgers to Citizenship ratings. Whether it’s colonists struggling to stay in contact with the UEE’s central worlds or criminals trading in illicit data, there will always be a need to securely move data. The Drake Herald, small, armored ship, is designed to fit that need and safely get that information from Point A to Point B. Featuring a powerful central engine (for high speed transit and generating the power needed for effective data encryption/containment), advanced encryption software and an armored computer core, the Herald is unique among personal spacecraft in that it is designed to be easily ‘cleaned’ when in danger of capture. The Herald includes an array of heavy duty internal options for data protection, including redundant power subsystems and EMP shielding, and a high-powered broadcast array for data transmission.

I hope you’ve liked having this additional input into Star Citizen’s development. We’ve enjoyed following the discussions related to the ship choices so much that we’d like to keep this process going! For the next five stretch goals, we’d like to add an additional system to the game [by community vote]… and you’re going to pick the major feature! Remember: the system, like the new ships, is simply symbolic of what’s being added to Star Citizen with the additional money. Each stretch goal system represents additional artists, tools, programmers and new technologies that will make the finished project even better!

What location would you like to see in Star Citizen?

I want to see all of them, silly

e: except for a "black hole event horizon". I see that's got an early lead in the votes, but really all that would be a is a big back drop, it wouldnt be practical to do anything near it

keuja

quoting one of these twice in one day...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13400-Letter-From-The-Chairman-33-Million

I want to see all of them, silly

e: except for a "black hole event horizon". I see that's got an early lead in the votes, but really all that would be a is a big back drop, it wouldnt be practical to do anything near it

Unless you have the proper equipment and use it as a worm hole to travel to previously uncharted parts of the Universe!

Guys, I'm new to Star citizen and I have a question. What will the flying in space be like in this game? I'm specifically wondering about the scale of the planets. Will they be massive and take you minutes (hours?) to orbit?

I saw a video of somebody flying and the distances and scale were so dissapointing. He flew over a planet in mere seconds. But maybe this was just some early footage that wasnt indicative of anything at all. Is it going to be different in the final game?

It'd be incredible to have these majestic planets actually be to scale (especially for Oculus Rift.) It would take a good amount of time to fly over entire continents and stuff. And speaking of that, will we be able to to actually fly down and enter the atmosphere and land on planets without loading? Or how is that gonna work?

This with Oculus Rift is going to make me buy a gaming PC for the first time in many years. I think I need this.

Big-E

Little annoyed. Roberts doesn't want to take my money. Tried to pay directly with my credit card and it keeps getting declined. Phoned my card company and they have no record of the card being used so something is wrong on Roberts' end and customer service hasn't gotten back to me. Anyone else have similar issues?

Looks like it has dynamic states

skGLlOM.gif

e: video is at ~3:07

great catch, I do agree with the targeting circles needing to be dialed down a tad but I do love how they each have depth to form a sort of 3D cone to line up with the pilots eye at the proper angle.

Keasar

Avenger video with the new PBR materials posted to the RSI channel, along with the orchestra and HUD videos.
Holy sh~ I can't wait to hear a piece of that music. I am a huge fan of Orchestra music, especially this adventurous, bombastic kind, not sure how to describe it.

I wonder if this is how ship component tweakers will test out their gear when tuning it. Like trying to tune the power output, does a short shooting session on a test range like this and hope to god it doesn't explode.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's now "multi-ship packages" available in the store... oO...

There's still "War Packs" with Idris-P's available. Let's see for how many minutes...

Might be worth it to switch to those instead of having multiple individual ships for some of you guys, if there's some kind of bundle benefit. I dunno, I haven't done the math. :p

EDIT: Now keep in mind some of those multi-ship packages don't have LTI ("only" 12 months), for what it's worth.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am really hating myself for not getting that 350R. If this game has legitimate racing mechanics and the community to back it up.... wow. It will be like Forza/Gran Turismo in space. Tweaking your ship for each run etc.

edit: $1,483,485 raised yesterday alone.

I wonder if this is how ship component tweakers will test out their gear when tuning it. Like trying to tune the power output, does a short shooting session on a test range like this and hope to god it doesn't explode.

That's exactly the intention, yeah - they mentioned this in the stream :)

Dead Man

I am really hating myself for not getting that 350R. If this game has legitimate racing mechanics and the community to back it up.... wow. It will be like Forza/Gran Turismo in space. Tweaking your ship for each run etc.

edit: $1,483,485 raised yesterday alone.

Good to leave some stuff to gain in game. I really wanted a Cutlass and a Banu, but figured that besides not really wanting to outlay another $350, I will aim for those early in the game.

Hopefully there will be a lot more ships in each class/role by the time the game launches.

Blizzard

Banned
The HUD stuff looks cool.

I really hope there ends up being a good way to force super clean AA aside from trying to downsample outside the program.

Also I need to remember to try to turn off chromatic aberration the next time there is a Star Citizen demo. :p

Keasar

There's now "multi-ship packages" available in the store... oO...

There's still "War Packs" with Idris-P's available. Let's see for how many minutes...

Might be worth it to switch to those instead of having multiple individual ships for some of you guys, if there's some kind of bundle benefit. I dunno, I haven't done the math. :p

EDIT: Now keep in mind some of those multi-ship packages don't have LTI ("only" 12 months), for what it's worth.
At CIG:
cashchuteinternetn1jkb.gif

That's exactly the intention, yeah - they mentioned this in the stream :)

Awesome!

Not been following the SC development much since the announcement way back when.

The constant, and rather aggressive monetization/fundraising for a project that is still such a long way off is really odd to me.

I mean, at what point is the check that gamers have given to Roberts too big for him to cash?

When features start getting pushed back and/or delayed (and if you know anything about game development you know it's folly to assume they won't), are people going to start freaking out?

XEROWUN

Neo Member
This is great, they dumped all the confusing package labels and straight up say "this is the 300i package" etc

This should make buying new packs for new customers very easy.

Top Bottom